MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index

 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Micro Tonal midi cv converter, quantizer, editor
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 [all]
Author Micro Tonal midi cv converter, quantizer, editor

justintonation

tubbutec wrote:
justintonation wrote:
it should also be able to switch scales using the midi tuning standard.


Hi even though not implemented at the moment, it will be. My other microtonal products Juno-66 and SH-1oh1 both accept midi tuning messages..


Excellent !
I have been looking at the Juno 66 project and it looks cool too.
Slightly off topic. How hard is the juno 66 mod to install? Does it need much cutting of panels etc?


tubbutec

justintonation wrote:

Slightly off topic. How hard is the juno 66 mod to install? Does it need much cutting of panels etc?


https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2493737#2493737


six_minds

Hey,
Any updates on how the build is going and when it will become available? I'm super excited about this one, and am eager to plan it in to the system smile


tubbutec

Here is a progress report:

Most functions of the module are working well, but since there will be a lot of functionality implemented, there is still a lot to do.
We will have a new hardware prototype with a larger display and a few corrections ready for mid-April.
After this, the first production run of the hardware will be produced, which may take another month.

Of course we hope software will be finished soon and we can ship the µTune. But on the other hand it is of greatest importance to ship a finished product with a great set of features.
Thanks for waiting and I hope you won't be disappointed.

Here is the final panel design:
[/img]


adnauseam

this project looks rad!

It's about time. I know another wiggler, John Nobel, has been working on his own scala micro quantizer with trigger i/o but he has never really thought about making it commercially available.

Will you be the first to make a scala uTuning quantizer in euro? I guess O&C might do it with the newer firmwares but I haven't looked into it.

I have to ask, why the midi i/o? Seems handy i guess - especially if it's simply a bonus feature of the platform you're using. I would have assumed you would have left the midi-cv stuff to the many other modules out there already from doepfer, MI etc. Not for shame. It's pretty rad if you ask me.

What's the expected release date looking like? Any prices yet? seems like the kind of module one might want to have a couple of.

Thanks for listening - I can't wait!

*edit - oh! I hope I'm not the only person to spot what I believe a mislabelled jack! You have 2 jacks labelled CV 1 - I would assume the bottom right input jack is to be labelled Gate 2. Unless i'm misunderstanding...


RubberGong

Looks amazing.

This will also double as a midi cv interface, that is very nice. - I was wondering if it would also work as a microtonal device for midi->midi - inserting this in a midi chain and getting it to "translate" a sequencers midi notes to microtonal notes using "midibend". If yes, would it be able to scale multiple midi devices?


tubbutec

RubberGong wrote:

This will also double as a midi cv interface, that is very nice. - I was wondering if it would also work as a microtonal device for midi->midi - inserting this in a midi chain and getting it to "translate" a sequencers midi notes to microtonal notes using "midibend". If yes, would it be able to scale multiple midi devices?


Not only will it double as midi cv interface, you can also use the midi part completely independent of the cv part, there is a powerful midi routing engine implemented.

cv/gate to midi conversion is on our list and currently implemented as a prove of concept. For each channel you can define an output channel which sends note on/off + pitch bend.

midi to µTonal midi conversion is possible, but can only work monophonic due to restrictions of the midi standard.

adnauseam wrote:
You have 2 jacks labelled CV 1

This has already been noticed and corrected, the picture is a bit older.. Thanks for pointing this out though!

adnauseam wrote:
I have to ask, why the midi i/o? Seems handy i guess - especially if it's simply a bonus feature of the platform you're using. I would have assumed you would have left the midi-cv stuff to the many other modules out there already from doepfer, MI etc. Not for shame. It's pretty rad if you ask me.


We wanted to build the ultimate µTonal multitool. Having to buy a separate midi to cv interface if you can implement the functionality voids this philosophy.

adnauseam wrote:
What's the expected release date looking like? Any prices yet?

Release date: As I wrote above, hopefully soon. Price: We need talk to distributors before settling on a price, so no figure at the moment.


mmeixner

thresholdpeople wrote:
Fantastic! Watching with interest.

Any chance this'll be available as PCBs or a kit and not a complete module? I'd like to build it into something I'm working on.


+1 !!


justintonation

tubbutec wrote:


Not only will it double as midi cv interface, you can also use the midi part completely independent of the cv part, there is a powerful midi routing engine implemented.

cv/gate to midi conversion is on our list and currently implemented as a prove of concept. For each channel you can define an output channel which sends note on/off + pitch bend.

midi to µTonal midi conversion is possible, but can only work monophonic due to restrictions of the midi standard.



With the midi to midi part will it be also possible to send tuning tables via sysex messages? This would make multi-timbrality available and bypass the restrictions of using midi pitch bend, the limitation being that only selected synthesizers allow tuning table dumps. The two most common formats for this are the Midi Tuning Standard format and the Yamaha format. The Midi Tuning Standard is currently implemented on current DSI synths (Prophet 6, 08, 12 OB06 etc), the Korg monologue, your own juno 66 and was implemented in 1990s Ensoniq and Emu synths and samplers. The yahama sysex format was used on the DX7IID era of instruments and modules.


justintonation

Another question.

Is there the ability to add a footswitch to switch tunings? I suppose any trigger input could be used this way with say a doepfer footswitch module.

Is this currently possible or in the works ?

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 [all]
Page 4 of 4
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group