MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Search is fixed!!! Apologies for the downtime.

Micro Tonal midi cv converter, quantizer, editor
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Author Micro Tonal midi cv converter, quantizer, editor
justintonation
tubbutec wrote:
justintonation wrote:
it should also be able to switch scales using the midi tuning standard.

Hi even though not implemented at the moment, it will be. My other microtonal products Juno-66 and SH-1oh1 both accept midi tuning messages..

Excellent !
I have been looking at the Juno 66 project and it looks cool too.
Slightly off topic. How hard is the juno 66 mod to install? Does it need much cutting of panels etc?
tubbutec
justintonation wrote:

Slightly off topic. How hard is the juno 66 mod to install? Does it need much cutting of panels etc?

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2493737#2493737
six_minds
Hey,
Any updates on how the build is going and when it will become available? I'm super excited about this one, and am eager to plan it in to the system smile
tubbutec
Here is a progress report:

Most functions of the module are working well, but since there will be a lot of functionality implemented, there is still a lot to do.
We will have a new hardware prototype with a larger display and a few corrections ready for mid-April.
After this, the first production run of the hardware will be produced, which may take another month.

Of course we hope software will be finished soon and we can ship the µTune. But on the other hand it is of greatest importance to ship a finished product with a great set of features.
Thanks for waiting and I hope you won't be disappointed.

Here is the final panel design:
[/img]
adnauseam
this project looks rad!

It's about time. I know another wiggler, John Nobel, has been working on his own scala micro quantizer with trigger i/o but he has never really thought about making it commercially available.

Will you be the first to make a scala uTuning quantizer in euro? I guess O&C might do it with the newer firmwares but I haven't looked into it.

I have to ask, why the midi i/o? Seems handy i guess - especially if it's simply a bonus feature of the platform you're using. I would have assumed you would have left the midi-cv stuff to the many other modules out there already from doepfer, MI etc. Not for shame. It's pretty rad if you ask me.

What's the expected release date looking like? Any prices yet? seems like the kind of module one might want to have a couple of.

Thanks for listening - I can't wait!

*edit - oh! I hope I'm not the only person to spot what I believe a mislabelled jack! You have 2 jacks labelled CV 1 - I would assume the bottom right input jack is to be labelled Gate 2. Unless i'm misunderstanding...
RubberGong
Looks amazing.

This will also double as a midi cv interface, that is very nice. - I was wondering if it would also work as a microtonal device for midi->midi - inserting this in a midi chain and getting it to "translate" a sequencers midi notes to microtonal notes using "midibend". If yes, would it be able to scale multiple midi devices?
tubbutec
RubberGong wrote:

This will also double as a midi cv interface, that is very nice. - I was wondering if it would also work as a microtonal device for midi->midi - inserting this in a midi chain and getting it to "translate" a sequencers midi notes to microtonal notes using "midibend". If yes, would it be able to scale multiple midi devices?

Not only will it double as midi cv interface, you can also use the midi part completely independent of the cv part, there is a powerful midi routing engine implemented.

cv/gate to midi conversion is on our list and currently implemented as a prove of concept. For each channel you can define an output channel which sends note on/off + pitch bend.

midi to µTonal midi conversion is possible, but can only work monophonic due to restrictions of the midi standard.

adnauseam wrote:
You have 2 jacks labelled CV 1

This has already been noticed and corrected, the picture is a bit older.. Thanks for pointing this out though!

adnauseam wrote:
I have to ask, why the midi i/o? Seems handy i guess - especially if it's simply a bonus feature of the platform you're using. I would have assumed you would have left the midi-cv stuff to the many other modules out there already from doepfer, MI etc. Not for shame. It's pretty rad if you ask me.

We wanted to build the ultimate µTonal multitool. Having to buy a separate midi to cv interface if you can implement the functionality voids this philosophy.

adnauseam wrote:
What's the expected release date looking like? Any prices yet?

Release date: As I wrote above, hopefully soon. Price: We need talk to distributors before settling on a price, so no figure at the moment.
mmeixner
thresholdpeople wrote:
Fantastic! Watching with interest.

Any chance this'll be available as PCBs or a kit and not a complete module? I'd like to build it into something I'm working on.

+1 !!
justintonation
tubbutec wrote:

Not only will it double as midi cv interface, you can also use the midi part completely independent of the cv part, there is a powerful midi routing engine implemented.

cv/gate to midi conversion is on our list and currently implemented as a prove of concept. For each channel you can define an output channel which sends note on/off + pitch bend.

midi to µTonal midi conversion is possible, but can only work monophonic due to restrictions of the midi standard.

With the midi to midi part will it be also possible to send tuning tables via sysex messages? This would make multi-timbrality available and bypass the restrictions of using midi pitch bend, the limitation being that only selected synthesizers allow tuning table dumps. The two most common formats for this are the Midi Tuning Standard format and the Yamaha format. The Midi Tuning Standard is currently implemented on current DSI synths (Prophet 6, 08, 12 OB06 etc), the Korg monologue, your own juno 66 and was implemented in 1990s Ensoniq and Emu synths and samplers. The yahama sysex format was used on the DX7IID era of instruments and modules.
justintonation
Another question.

Is there the ability to add a footswitch to switch tunings? I suppose any trigger input could be used this way with say a doepfer footswitch module.

Is this currently possible or in the works ?
tubbutec
Hi,

current status of this module:
- Software almost finished
- Second hardware prototype with larger display will be assembled next week, front panels powder coated and screen printed. If everything fits and works we will produce the first batch.
µTune will be presented at Superbooth17

I tried to write down all the features currently implemented. This is a very rough list, if anything is unclear please let me know:
----------------------------

µTune is a tool designed to serve all needs that may arise when dealing with microtonal scales in a modular context.
Is is:

- A two-channel microtonal midi interface
- A two channel microtonal quantizer/mapper
- A Scale editor
- More than the sum of these parts

Its inputs and outputs can be freely configured to various functions. It can also detect when an input is plugged in and change its behaviour accordingly.
Here is a very quickly written overview of its current features:

Quantizer / Mapper
- CV inputs adjustable to custom V/Octave
- Inputs can map to scale degrees, transpose or shift a scale
- High precission CV outputs
- Quantizer can run in continous mode, gated or triggered

Midi to CV interface
- Midi from DIN midi or USB midi
- Dual Monophonic and 2 different Duophonic modes possible

Scale editor
- Any number of notes per scale
- For each note edit: cents, fraction or select from a list of common intervals
- scales not based on the octave are possible
- quickly generate EDO scales
- deactivate certain notes in a scale
- save and load scales on SD card in scl format

VCO calibration
- Easily calibrate any VCO using built in tuner
- 10 point calibration of pitch
- save and load calibration data on SD card

CV to midi interface
- microtonal 2-channel cv/gate to midi interface
- uses midi pitch bend commands to generate microtonal pitch

MIDI router
- a powerful midi router and merger
- route notes / clock and sysex independently
- have a usb midi interface independently from quantizer for example

Firmware update from SD card

IO functions
CV out: microtonal pitch, velocity chan1, velocity chan 1/2, after touch chan 1/2
Gate out: Midi gate, midi clock, midi start/stop, pass from input
CV in: map to pitch, transpose chan 1/2, shift scale chan 1/2
Gate in: trigger mapping, gate mapping, measure frequency, trigger random transpose chan 1/2

Planned features
- Automatic VCO calibration
- Live pitch matching using closed loop approach
- Support KBM keyboard mapping files
- Midi to microtonal midi conversion
- Send/ Receive midi tuning dumps
- Switch tunings via trigger in
- .. more

Extensions
µTune features an extension port and we are planning
- Two more channels for a total of 4
- An oscillator extension with perfectly pitched OSCs
mmeixner
tubbutec wrote:
Hi,

current status of this module:
- Software almost finished
- Second hardware prototype with larger display will be assembled next week, front panels powder coated and screen printed. If everything fits and works we will produce the first batch.
µTune will be presented at Superbooth17

I tried to write down all the features currently implemented. This is a very rough list, if anything is unclear please let me know:
----------------------------

µTune is a tool designed to serve all needs that may arise when dealing with microtonal scales in a modular context.
Is is:

- A two-channel microtonal midi interface
- A two channel microtonal quantizer/mapper
- A Scale editor
- More than the sum of these parts

Its inputs and outputs can be freely configured to various functions. It can also detect when an input is plugged in and change its behaviour accordingly.
Here is a very quickly written overview of its current features:

Quantizer / Mapper
- CV inputs adjustable to custom V/Octave
- Inputs can map to scale degrees, transpose or shift a scale
- High precission CV outputs
- Quantizer can run in continous mode, gated or triggered

Midi to CV interface
- Midi from DIN midi or USB midi
- Dual Monophonic and 2 different Duophonic modes possible

Scale editor
- Any number of notes per scale
- For each note edit: cents, fraction or select from a list of common intervals
- scales not based on the octave are possible
- quickly generate EDO scales
- deactivate certain notes in a scale
- save and load scales on SD card in scl format

VCO calibration
- Easily calibrate any VCO using built in tuner
- 10 point calibration of pitch
- save and load calibration data on SD card

CV to midi interface
- microtonal 2-channel cv/gate to midi interface
- uses midi pitch bend commands to generate microtonal pitch

MIDI router
- a powerful midi router and merger
- route notes / clock and sysex independently
- have a usb midi interface independently from quantizer for example

Firmware update from SD card

IO functions
CV out: microtonal pitch, velocity chan1, velocity chan 1/2, after touch chan 1/2
Gate out: Midi gate, midi clock, midi start/stop, pass from input
CV in: map to pitch, transpose chan 1/2, shift scale chan 1/2
Gate in: trigger mapping, gate mapping, measure frequency, trigger random transpose chan 1/2

Planned features
- Automatic VCO calibration
- Live pitch matching using closed loop approach
- Support KBM keyboard mapping files
- Midi to microtonal midi conversion
- Send/ Receive midi tuning dumps
- Switch tunings via trigger in
- .. more

Extensions
µTune features an extension port and we are planning
- Two more channels for a total of 4
- An oscillator extension with perfectly pitched OSCs

Whoa!
nanners

instant order!

hoping for a PCB or kit version though (5U system here...)
tubbutec
mmeixner wrote:

hoping for a PCB or kit version though (5U system here)

Yes, there will be a DIY version (PCB assembled with SMD parts). And of course instructions how to wire it up.

Also planning 5HE versions, but want to finish the 3HE first
mmeixner
tubbutec wrote:
mmeixner wrote:

hoping for a PCB or kit version though (5U system here)

Yes, there will be a DIY version (PCB assembled with SMD parts). And of course instructions how to wire it up.

Also planning 5HE versions, but want to finish the 3HE first

Great! More than one can hope for, usually - thanks!

thumbs up
Phil999
incredible work.
six_minds
This is fanstastic; im so happy about the expansion port and the auto calibration!
dark_carcass
im going to superbooth
when the first batch will be available to buy eek! hyper MY ASS IS BLEEDING
tubbutec
not allowed to sell anything at superbooth, but first batch will go into production in about 2 weeks
six_minds
is there a way to pre-order this directly? I am very eager to get this! (:
tubbutec
six_minds wrote:
is there a way to pre-order this directly? I am very eager to get this! (:

Please send a mail to mail (ät) tubbutec (döt) de

Will put you on the list and let you know as soon as we start taking orders.
Thank you
Jamesf1
Hi,

Cool looking module.

Can you please let me know how many hp the unit is so I can make some room in my case.

Also is the module going to come pre-loaded with some scales. How many? Mix of standard plus some more experimental?

Apologies if these have already been answered but I could not see them in the thread.

Cheers,
Andy
tubbutec
Jamesf1 wrote:

Can you please let me know how many hp the unit is so I can make some room in my case.

Hi Andy, it is 8HP

Jamesf1 wrote:

Also is the module going to come pre-loaded with some scales. How many? Mix of standard plus some more experimental?

We are planning to have scales already on the SD card, yes. standard scales of course and then there are some great scale packs out there, but have not asked their creators yet, if we can use them for a product.
If not, it is just a matter of drag and drop for the user to copy them on the SD card.

Various scale packs by Sevish:
http://sevish.com/music-resources/

Xen-Arts pack:
http://xen-arts.net/xen-arts-vsti-microtuning-library/

And of course the huge collection of 4500 scales by Scala creator Huygens-Fokker:
http://www.huygens-fokker.org/docs/scales.zip

If you have any suggestions which scales to include, please let me know.
Jamesf1
Cheers for the information. The Sevish scale packs look like just the sort of thing I am after.

I have also sent an email to your address as I would like to order as soon as available.

Many thanks.
toitoy
Could it be possible to make it work with Yamaha CS30?
tubbutec
toitoy wrote:
Could it be possible to make it work with Yamaha CS30?

Yes, it would work with any synth with CV/gate input
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Page 4 of 6