MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Micro Tonal midi cv converter, quantizer, editor
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author Micro Tonal midi cv converter, quantizer, editor
tubbutec
Hi,

current status of this module:
- Software almost finished
- Second hardware prototype with larger display will be assembled next week, front panels powder coated and screen printed. If everything fits and works we will produce the first batch.
µTune will be presented at Superbooth17

I tried to write down all the features currently implemented. This is a very rough list, if anything is unclear please let me know:
----------------------------

µTune is a tool designed to serve all needs that may arise when dealing with microtonal scales in a modular context.
Is is:

- A two-channel microtonal midi interface
- A two channel microtonal quantizer/mapper
- A Scale editor
- More than the sum of these parts

Its inputs and outputs can be freely configured to various functions. It can also detect when an input is plugged in and change its behaviour accordingly.
Here is a very quickly written overview of its current features:

Quantizer / Mapper
- CV inputs adjustable to custom V/Octave
- Inputs can map to scale degrees, transpose or shift a scale
- High precission CV outputs
- Quantizer can run in continous mode, gated or triggered

Midi to CV interface
- Midi from DIN midi or USB midi
- Dual Monophonic and 2 different Duophonic modes possible

Scale editor
- Any number of notes per scale
- For each note edit: cents, fraction or select from a list of common intervals
- scales not based on the octave are possible
- quickly generate EDO scales
- deactivate certain notes in a scale
- save and load scales on SD card in scl format

VCO calibration
- Easily calibrate any VCO using built in tuner
- 10 point calibration of pitch
- save and load calibration data on SD card

CV to midi interface
- microtonal 2-channel cv/gate to midi interface
- uses midi pitch bend commands to generate microtonal pitch

MIDI router
- a powerful midi router and merger
- route notes / clock and sysex independently
- have a usb midi interface independently from quantizer for example

Firmware update from SD card
Pretty strait forward. Put update file on card, update, ready to go.
If you know Tubbutec, you now that feature updates will be released frequently.

IO functions
CV out: microtonal pitch, velocity chan1, velocity chan 1/2, after touch chan 1/2
Gate out: Midi gate, midi clock, midi start/stop, pass from input
CV in: map to pitch, transpose chan 1/2, shift scale chan 1/2
Gate in: trigger mapping, gate mapping, measure frequency, trigger random transpose chan 1/2

Technical data
- runs on +-12V and/or +-15V
- 16Bit DAC for high resolution of ~1.5mV or 0.2cents
- Input / output 0..10V (10 octaves)
- Hysteresis technology at CV input for stable input note recognition.
- Gates: 0V/5V output, Input 0..15V (High at about 1.5V)
- 1.3'' 128x64 OLED display

Planned features
- Automatic VCO calibration
- Live pitch matching using closed loop approach
- Support KBM keyboard mapping files
- Midi to microtonal midi conversion
- Send/ Receive midi tuning dumps
- Switch tunings via trigger in
- Shift scale root via midi
- .. more

Extensions
µTune features an extension port and we are planning
- Two more channels for a total of 4
- An oscillator extension with perfectly pitched OSCs

here are a few display screenshots. The actual graphics may change until the release version...

Main Menu:

File browser with scale preview

Scale editor - you can edit cents, fractions and select from a list of common intervals

Input / Output configuration for channel 1:

Midi routing

Manual VCO calibration

Configuration menu

There are many more pages and features....

---------------------------------------------------------------------- -------------
original post:
Hi,

while developing micro tonal updates for the Juno-6 / 60 and SH-101, I started to wonder if some of these features might be interesting for the modular community.

I would like to know if you would be interested in a module with the following features:

- High resolution microtonal midi2cv/gate interface, 10 octaves
- microtonal quantizer, CV in 1V/oct converted to any scale
- Upload scales via Scala or use scl. files directly from a SD card
- Includes a scale editor: Create your own custom scales without needing an external computer.

Looking forward to hear your opinions and suggestions.

-Tobias from Tubbutec
oootini
sounds amazing!
StringEmil
Sounds really cool!
Stupid question: Would it be able to do non-microtonal stuff as well for more 'normal' use?
tubbutec
StringEmil wrote:
Sounds really cool!
Stupid question: Would it be able to do non-microtonal stuff as well for more 'normal' use?

of course. after all, well tempered tuning is just a sub-set of the whole micro tonal space wink
slow_riot
This was a feature I've been hoping to implement in my designs. For all the blue sky thinking of "West Coast" Don Buchla, Serge, Wiard, etc. None of them has left 12tET. (No, unquantized does not mean microtonal). I found a more "hacky" way to get non 12-tET intervals, as I don't have the talent/resources to do a full featured implementation with a PIC like this. But, all credit to you, this sounds *amazing* !

Practically, you should think about creating a PCB that was format independent (i.e. +/12 or +/-15V operation), multiple faceplates for euro/frac/5U etc. As personally I don't think that many modular users will be climbing over each other to use microtones.

Another thing worth thinking about is the (in)accuracy inherent in many VCOs, e.g. the 1% (or greater) losses through common 1k/100k output/input impedences, passive tempcos, and temperature variance in Zener diodes or OTAs in VCO cores. All of these may mean that some analogue designs are simply unsuitable for very intricate microtonal programming.
Mood Organ
Yes, and I'm not the only one.

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=160545
mmeixner
tubbutec wrote:

- Includes a scale editor: Create your own custom scales without needing an external computer.

Sounds quite interesting!
mmelnick
Yes, please
krm
I've developed a MIDI-CV-Arpeggiator module that allows arbitrary microtonal scales (in addition to the standard 12TET).

The basic idea is that you individually tune each of the 'semitones' in the 5 octave range, and the module will interpolate between each of the notes using either a linear or exponential curve (you can choose which one).

Normally you would keep the module in 1v/oct or Hz/volt mode (12TET), but you can switch between the 'normal' tuning curves and the custom one via the front panel of the module.

http://www.krmmusicsystems.com

-Keith
Phil999
tubbutec wrote:

I'm very much interested in such a module.
tubbutec
Thanks a lot for your opinions and suggestions.

One further question: How many CV channels would you need? 1,2,4?
You could always chain multiple modules for more channels.
Obviously the price would increase the more channels are included..

thx
Phil999
for me, only one channel.
drehleierguy
sounds very interesting indeed! have a look at what Jeff Snyder is doing with his upcoming MantaMate module. it's focussed on the Manta, but will (i think) work as a usb host for all kinds of controllers and will have extensive microtonal functions.

he sent me some more details in a private message - i'll check to see if it's OK if i post here.

www.snyderphonics.com has very little info, but i think there's a bit more on his fb page.

please keep us in the loop!

cheers.
Mood Organ
tubbutec wrote:

One further question: How many CV channels would you need? 1,2,4?

I'd suggest 1 or at most 2 channels. I second the recommendation of making a format-agnostic design.
calaveras
since my brain thinks in intervals, not chords, I'm most interested in a 2 channel device.
I certainly hear the skepticism regarding OSC accuracy.
But I'd love to find out for myself how 'bad' my oscs are.

It'd be nice if such a module came with a few default scales to start off.
Say TTET, Just, Pythagorean etc just as plain vanilla benchmarks and maybe a few non-twelve tone scales to give entry into microtonalism.
I'm thinking if they were based on Harry Partch or Wendy Carlos' work that could help generate interest.
Mood Organ
Re-reading the original post reminded me that the module has its own scale editing built in. I'm curious how that will be implemented. If the module is big or complex enough (in terms of buttons and screen), it might be worth thinking about more than 2 channels of output.

Alternatively, I can imagine a simple version that just reads Scala files from SD card and does 1 or perhaps 2 channels of CV.
slow_riot
calaveras wrote:

I'm thinking if they were based on Harry Partch or Wendy Carlos' work that could help generate interest.

Partch and Carlos are the biggest nutters out there for tuning! They developed their own tuning systems after lifetimes of research, and anything short of mastery is not enough to find the beauty in the beast.

e.g.

http://www.wendycarlos.com/resources/pitch.html

But, I agree with the sentiment. A good bank would be a necessity for those of us just getting started. Although, putting in some presets will be by far the easiest task in the design process. Again to the OP, congrats! I've been waiting for something like this for a long time.
calaveras
slow_riot wrote:
calaveras wrote:

Partch and Carlos are the biggest nutters out there for tuning! They developed their own tuning systems after lifetimes of research, and anything short of mastery is not enough to find the beauty in the beast.

e.g.

http://www.wendycarlos.com/resources/pitch.html

But, I agree with the sentiment. A good bank would be a necessity for those of us just getting started. Although, putting in some presets will be by far the easiest task in the design process. Again to the OP, congrats! I've been waiting for something like this for a long time.

Of course they were, but for a lot of folks that are just getting into alternate tuning/microtonic scales those are recognizable names.
I was actually going to go look up something more reasonable, like a Balinese metalophone microtonal scale, or something from the East Indian quarter tone musical tradition. But in modular circles Partch and Carlos probably have more name recognition.
Besides, there are thousands of East Indian quarter tone scales, and the same I believe can be said for gamelans, with scales being similar, but differing from village to village. So again you might end up with dozens or hundreds of scales just to be definitive.
Those two could probably be micro SD cards unto themselves!
I gotta say after experimenting with some look up tables I calculated and a voltmeter, nah I'm all for a quantizer that does the heavy lifting.
tubbutec
Hi!

thank you all!

Now working on this module, it will have two channels and be chainable to add more channels if needed.

Quote:
Re-reading the original post reminded me that the module has its own scale editing built in. I'm curious how that will be implemented.

There will be a small screen, a rotary encoder and button.

At the moment, there is only a very rough sketch of how it will look like, but will keep you updated as I am developing..
Phil999
great! I think two channels are a wise decision so we can - as calaveras pointed out - have instant intervals.

I look forward for next year to have a good tuning solution in a module. The other approaches with MIDI/pitchbend or VCO sync are too limiting.
calaveras
Cool!
I realy do think this is a piece of the modular puzzle that has been missing.
Down with TTET! you kids get off my lawn
loydb
Also interested.
tubbutec
calaveras wrote:
Cool!
Down with TTET! you kids get off my lawn

lol lol
Liddlepud
Erv Wilson please
Phil999
with the Scala application and this future module you should theoretically be able to have any tuning you want with as many notes per octave you want.

For those who don't know, there's an app for iOS called 'Wilsonic'.
GGW
I'm looking forward to what you come up with. One channel would be fine but two will be interesting.
For myself, I just want to be able to offset the notes of the standard 12tet octave. It should be able to do this, separate from requiring scala files. Unless I'm really missing something, scala is based on the starting root note still being "C" of 12tet tuning and the other notes being offset from there. To change that root, the tuning needs to be offset and the other notes recalculated to bring them back to their original value.
tubbutec
GGW wrote:
I'm looking forward to what you come up with. One channel would be fine but two will be interesting.
For myself, I just want to be able to offset the notes of the standard 12tet octave. It should be able to do this, separate from requiring scala files. Unless I'm really missing something, scala is based on the starting root note still being "C" of 12tet tuning and the other notes being offset from there. To change that root, the tuning needs to be offset and the other notes recalculated to bring them back to their original value.

Hi if I understand you correctly, you are describing a 'transpose' feature, which will be implemented, but can also be realized with a simple adder.

Scala can do this too, you can choose a different base note when uploading.

Scala describes scales based on the distance to 'C', but it is really just a notation, not a limitation in functionality.

The finished product will be able to map an input note (via midi or CV) to any output voltage. the don't even have to be in ascending order...
Liddlepud
Can we have 2 channels please.
tubbutec
Liddlepud wrote:

tubbutec wrote:
Now working on this module, it will have two channels and be chainable to add more channels if needed.
Liddlepud
tubbutec wrote:
Liddlepud wrote:

tubbutec wrote:

Excellent, I thought it would be greedy to ask for 4 channels but chainable sounds like a good compromise.
Villarceau
would be awesome
Arders Bergdahl
I would be very exited if the module would support scales that are not built on octaves.. Like Bohlen- pierce
Also look at the great app Scalegen if you can support all type of scales that Scalegen can support you are quite complete.. It would entail mapping EVERY note to a cv ... Probably
tubbutec
Arders Bergdahl wrote:
I would be very exited if the module would support scales that are not built on octaves.. Like Bohlen- pierce
Also look at the great app Scalegen if you can support all type of scales that Scalegen can support you are quite complete.. It would entail mapping EVERY note to a cv ... Probably

thanks for the suggestion, will have a look at it.
tubbutec
CAD work for 3HE version finished, PCB is at 30%. This is roughly how it will look like:

[/img]
sopresada
yeah seriously, seriously interested in this.

+1 for banana format please!
Phil999
looks good. So it is also a two-channel MIDI-CV converter. With USB and DIN MIDI. Very versatile and useful.

I think this module could also attract musicians and composers who aren't that much into electronic music yet.
microtonal
Here are some microtonal quantizer suggestions I posted on another recent thread. It seems your device will have most of these features.

An important distinction for CV based quantizing over MIDI is the ability to support more than 128 notes per scale. So if the range is 10V, and the scale is 31 notes, then 311 notes should be quantized in that range.

Microtonal Quantizer desirable features:
* SD card interface to load scala scales while having them resident on the modular
* Text or graphic display to display file names, scale, note and tuning details
* High resolution true 14-16 bit DAC, not an audio DAC
* 1 cent or better accuracy
* >50 notes per tuning scale
* User settable tuning repeat for non-octave scales (the last two features enable modular to break the 128 note MIDI limit)
* Integrated transposition to adjust VCO/VCF ratios with the quantized scale
* Real time transposition and tuning selection
tubbutec
yes, pretty much all these features (and some more) are either planned or already implemented smile

About the 'more than 128 notes topic'

When playing over midi, it will be possible to transpose (for example using the CV IN)

It will also be possible to set the number of notes/volt at the CV in, so lot more that 128 notes are possible.

accuracy is about 0.2cents
Mood Organ
tubbutec wrote:
CAD work for 3HE version finished, PCB is at 30%. This is roughly how it will look like:

[/img]

Do you need gate in AND gate out? You only use 1 at a time, right? Could be 1 jack and a switch?
Mood Organ
sopresada wrote:
yeah seriously, seriously interested in this.

+1 for banana format please!

+2!
Phil999
Mood Organ wrote:

Do you need gate in AND gate out? You only use 1 at a time, right? Could be 1 jack and a switch?

I think both are needed at the same time. You go in with one or two standard CV-gate pairs and out comes the re-tuned CV-gate pairs, so you can use it without USB or MIDI at all.
Mood Organ
Phil999 wrote:
Mood Organ wrote:

I think both are needed at the same time. You go in with one or two standard CV-gate pairs and out comes the re-tuned CV-gate pairs, so you can use it without USB or MIDI at all.

Why would the gate out be different than the gate in?

http://www.modcan.com/amodules/quantizer.html

2 modes:
* gate in (gate tells the quantizer when to sample the CV in)
* gate out (quantizer is always sampling CV in; fire a gate when CV moves from one quantized value to another)
tubbutec
Hi, the gate in can be used for the following functions:

- sampling gate
- sampling trigger
- potentially some other functions, such as randomly trigger a note etc...

the gate output:

- gate from midi cv / gate
- output midi clock with adjustable divider

additionally both gate in and cv can detect if a jack is plugged in. This is used to switch between the various modes.

if for example nothing is plugged into 'gate in', the quantizer is put into continuous mode. if nothing is plugged into cv in, the module will default to midi in.. and so on. The behaviour is of course configurable.

so
A: it makes sense to use both at the same time
B: it is much more convenient to have dedicated sockets
C: a switch takes as much space, if not more on the panel
microtonal
tubbutec wrote:
yes, pretty much all these features (and some more) are either planned or already implemented smile

About the 'more than 128 notes topic'

When playing over midi, it will be possible to transpose (for example using the CV IN)

It will also be possible to set the number of notes/volt at the CV in, so lot more that 128 notes are possible.

accuracy is about 0.2cents

That is great news! Thanks for working on this.
Phil999
Mood Organ wrote:

Why would the gate out be different than the gate in?

of course. Sorry about that, my brain wasn't switched on.

To tubbutec: nice options. Really looking forward for this module.

I think this and the ES-8 are the only modules left I really need.
tubbutec
Little update: Prototype PCBs are ordered, software development can begin. This will certainly be the largest part of this project given all the features.
Timmy
This sounds like a great module which should satisfy all microtonal needs.

Just for the sake of completeness, it is worth mentioning that the Mutable Instruments Yarns MIDI-to-CV module supports microtonal tunings and Scala scale files transmitted to it over MIDI, and even provides an online Scala editor - see "Tuning systems" at http://mutable-instruments.net/modules/yarns/manual

Of course, Yarns is only MIDI-to-CV, it doesn't do quantisation, but it is very accurate (16-bit DAC, better than 1mV resolution). It's also open-source so the firmware can be modified, and the hardware design adapted to other, non-eurorack formats if required.

There's also Ornament & Crime (disclaimer: I am a co-developer of the firmware for it), which offers, amongst other things, a 4 channel quantiser mode which supports microtonal tunings - both built-in scales/tunings and 4 user-editable scales with up to 16 microtonal semitones per octave. It is also 16-bit accurate with better than 1mV resolution, and is also open-source, so both the firmware (including the included scales/tunings) and hardware is available for modification and/or adaptation to other formats (someone did a dual Buchla format version of it). However, it doesn't support MIDI or SD cards, nor Scala scales. See https://github.com/mxmxmx/O_C and firmware documentation at https://github.com/mxmxmx/O_C/wiki/Ornaments-and-Crimes-extended-firmw are
tubbutec
Hi,

again an update:

been working on this for the last months, picture shows a version I had a few Months back. Final version will have a larger display.

Lot of the features have been implemented already, all the basic stuff is already working:

Midi in out, quantizer, gates, various modes, usb, the editor, loading and saving scales etc..

Working very smoothly and it's a lot of fun already..

Still some way to go to go, but hoping the Eurorack version will be available in April, the 5HE version a bit later.

microtonal
sweet
calaveras
stupendous!
microtonal
tubbutec wrote:
Hi,

again an update:

Still some way to go to go, but hoping the Eurorack version will be available in April, the 5HE version a bit later.

By 5HE are you talking 5U MOTM or MU format?
aaooaa
Watching this thread because I'll definitely be picking one up once it's done. I've been waiting for something like this for years.
Bojmir Raj Raj
I was just about to start a thread requesting basically exactly what you describe!

Now that I'm fully recovered from a massive stroke, complete with near-death out-of-body experiences and all that shamanistic stuff, it dawns on me that it's high time I join the ranks of financial ruin and lonesome onanism with a modular system, and what's been holding me back, since I don't work in 12tet, is just such a microtonal tuning system!

I assume it'll be available in different formats- Eurorack for me as I already have a handful of Doepfer modules for noise shows, and euro seems to be the format of choice for clones of the old Soviet stuff I love so much!
Gary Dad
applause
I am so buying this.
methodius
exactly what i've been looking for.... thumbs up
freq_divider
Great work! Like many others on this thread, i've been waiting for this one for a long time. Count me in!
Bojmir Raj Raj
Servus Tubbutec!

Say, I hope it's okay to do a feature request here- could you do a cv output for velocity, if you haven't already done that? Something I discovered, having done microtonal music for years, is that the more "feely" and "organic" the instruments you use, the better your chances that people will hear the music as deliberate and interesting, rather than just wonky or weird, and dynamics are a huge part of that.
teknobryan
looks awesome. I'll be looking for it when it's released
thresholdpeople
Fantastic! Watching with interest.

Any chance this'll be available as PCBs or a kit and not a complete module? I'd like to build it into something I'm working on.
methodius
Feature request:

Dunno what you call it ... but in Nord Modular G2 I have this function on quantizer to evenly distribute the chances of hitting a certain note ... So for example if I chose C F F# G notes only per octave - all notes would have equal chance of hitting them ... If there is no 'equal distribution of chance'/octave hitting F# with CV would be much harder than C F or G because F# is so close to F and G.

Hopefully you understand what I mean.

I always found that feature very useful, to equally distribute the chances of hitting the notes I want...Would be even more useful I imagine in a microtonal quantizer.
Mood Organ
methodius wrote:
Feature request:

Dunno what you call it ... but in Nord Modular G2 I have this function on quantizer to evenly distribute the chances of hitting a certain note

Yes, absolutely this. I rarely hear anyone talk about it, but it's hugely helpful if you're doing generative / stochastic music. You really want to treat the notes as a set of equals, not as voltage regions of differing size.
tom.bzode
Mood Organ wrote:
methodius wrote:
Feature request:

Dunno what you call it ... but in Nord Modular G2 I have this function on quantizer to evenly distribute the chances of hitting a certain note

Yes, absolutely this. I rarely hear anyone talk about it, but it's hugely helpful if you're doing generative / stochastic music. You really want to treat the notes as a set of equals, not as voltage regions of differing size.

Yes yes yes.

Also totally buying this module when it comes out. This is what I've wanted for ages.
zed888
Sold! Directly loading .scl files is perfect for me, so please keep that SD card slot.
High Wolf
Just discovered this one, exactly what I'm looking for! Can't wait!
MoogCloud
applause
Dunej
Definitely, definitely would buy one!
tubbutec
Hi here are a few display screenshots to hopefully make your wait less painful. The actual graphics may change until the release version...

Main Menu:

File browser with scale preview

Scale editor - you can edit cents, fractions and select from a list of common intervals

Input / Output configuration for channel 1:

Midi routing

Manual VCO calibration

Configuration menu

tubbutec
Bojmir Raj Raj wrote:
Servus Tubbutec!

Say, I hope it's okay to do a feature request here- could you do a cv output for velocity, if you haven't already done that? Something I discovered, having done microtonal music for years, is that the more "feely" and "organic" the instruments you use, the better your chances that people will hear the music as deliberate and interesting, rather than just wonky or weird, and dynamics are a huge part of that.

This is already implemented smile

thresholdpeople wrote:
Any chance this'll be available as PCBs or a kit and not a complete module?

Could be possible to have a assembled PCB without the front panel, but DIY would be pretty difficult. This is mostly fine pitch SMD..

methodius wrote:
this function on quantizer to evenly distribute the chances of hitting a certain note

Such a random function is planned as a feature but currently not implemented.
freq_divider
tubbutec wrote:

Manual VCO calibration

Configuration menu

Impressive! The calibration options are certainly very useful!
tubbutec
freq_divider wrote:

Currently working on a automatic VCO calibration procedure.

It will also be possible to save and load VCO calibration data.
ear ear
tubbutec wrote:
Could be possible to have a assembled PCB without the front panel...

It would be fantastic if you could do this. hyper
thresholdpeople
tubbutec wrote:
Could be possible to have a assembled PCB without the front panel...

Yep! That would be awesome!
six_minds
tubbutec wrote:
freq_divider wrote:

Currently working on a automatic VCO calibration procedure.

It will also be possible to save and load VCO calibration data.

This automatic VCO calibration sounds pretty great; have been thinking that there are no Quantizers with this feature for a while!

I wish it would be minus the midi/USB input but with 4 channels!

And maybe some ASR type function if there is a wish to be flashy (:

But am definitely on board for this with the first run.
justintonation
This sounds awesome. I will definitely be getting one.

Also since this is also a midi to cv module perhaps it should also be able to switch scales using the midi tuning standard. This would enable it to be controlled by tall kite's alt.tuner program which allows adaptive tuning (single note tuning) see here:
http://www.tallkite.com/alt-tuner.html

Here is more information regarding the midi tuning standard
http://www.microtonal-synthesis.com/MIDItuning.htmlwww.microtonal-synt hesis.com/MIDItuning.html
tubbutec
justintonation wrote:
it should also be able to switch scales using the midi tuning standard.

Hi even though not implemented at the moment, it will be. My other microtonal products Juno-66 and SH-1oh1 both accept midi tuning messages..
justintonation
tubbutec wrote:
justintonation wrote:
it should also be able to switch scales using the midi tuning standard.

Hi even though not implemented at the moment, it will be. My other microtonal products Juno-66 and SH-1oh1 both accept midi tuning messages..

Excellent !
I have been looking at the Juno 66 project and it looks cool too.
Slightly off topic. How hard is the juno 66 mod to install? Does it need much cutting of panels etc?
tubbutec
justintonation wrote:

Slightly off topic. How hard is the juno 66 mod to install? Does it need much cutting of panels etc?

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2493737#2493737
six_minds
Hey,
Any updates on how the build is going and when it will become available? I'm super excited about this one, and am eager to plan it in to the system smile
tubbutec
Here is a progress report:

Most functions of the module are working well, but since there will be a lot of functionality implemented, there is still a lot to do.
We will have a new hardware prototype with a larger display and a few corrections ready for mid-April.
After this, the first production run of the hardware will be produced, which may take another month.

Of course we hope software will be finished soon and we can ship the µTune. But on the other hand it is of greatest importance to ship a finished product with a great set of features.
Thanks for waiting and I hope you won't be disappointed.

Here is the final panel design:
[/img]
adnauseam
this project looks rad!

It's about time. I know another wiggler, John Nobel, has been working on his own scala micro quantizer with trigger i/o but he has never really thought about making it commercially available.

Will you be the first to make a scala uTuning quantizer in euro? I guess O&C might do it with the newer firmwares but I haven't looked into it.

I have to ask, why the midi i/o? Seems handy i guess - especially if it's simply a bonus feature of the platform you're using. I would have assumed you would have left the midi-cv stuff to the many other modules out there already from doepfer, MI etc. Not for shame. It's pretty rad if you ask me.

What's the expected release date looking like? Any prices yet? seems like the kind of module one might want to have a couple of.

Thanks for listening - I can't wait!

*edit - oh! I hope I'm not the only person to spot what I believe a mislabelled jack! You have 2 jacks labelled CV 1 - I would assume the bottom right input jack is to be labelled Gate 2. Unless i'm misunderstanding...
RubberGong
Looks amazing.

This will also double as a midi cv interface, that is very nice. - I was wondering if it would also work as a microtonal device for midi->midi - inserting this in a midi chain and getting it to "translate" a sequencers midi notes to microtonal notes using "midibend". If yes, would it be able to scale multiple midi devices?
tubbutec
RubberGong wrote:

This will also double as a midi cv interface, that is very nice. - I was wondering if it would also work as a microtonal device for midi->midi - inserting this in a midi chain and getting it to "translate" a sequencers midi notes to microtonal notes using "midibend". If yes, would it be able to scale multiple midi devices?

Not only will it double as midi cv interface, you can also use the midi part completely independent of the cv part, there is a powerful midi routing engine implemented.

cv/gate to midi conversion is on our list and currently implemented as a prove of concept. For each channel you can define an output channel which sends note on/off + pitch bend.

midi to µTonal midi conversion is possible, but can only work monophonic due to restrictions of the midi standard.

adnauseam wrote:
You have 2 jacks labelled CV 1

This has already been noticed and corrected, the picture is a bit older.. Thanks for pointing this out though!

adnauseam wrote:
I have to ask, why the midi i/o? Seems handy i guess - especially if it's simply a bonus feature of the platform you're using. I would have assumed you would have left the midi-cv stuff to the many other modules out there already from doepfer, MI etc. Not for shame. It's pretty rad if you ask me.

We wanted to build the ultimate µTonal multitool. Having to buy a separate midi to cv interface if you can implement the functionality voids this philosophy.

adnauseam wrote:
What's the expected release date looking like? Any prices yet?

Release date: As I wrote above, hopefully soon. Price: We need talk to distributors before settling on a price, so no figure at the moment.
mmeixner
thresholdpeople wrote:

Any chance this'll be available as PCBs or a kit and not a complete module? I'd like to build it into something I'm working on.

+1 !!
justintonation
tubbutec wrote:

Not only will it double as midi cv interface, you can also use the midi part completely independent of the cv part, there is a powerful midi routing engine implemented.

cv/gate to midi conversion is on our list and currently implemented as a prove of concept. For each channel you can define an output channel which sends note on/off + pitch bend.

midi to µTonal midi conversion is possible, but can only work monophonic due to restrictions of the midi standard.

With the midi to midi part will it be also possible to send tuning tables via sysex messages? This would make multi-timbrality available and bypass the restrictions of using midi pitch bend, the limitation being that only selected synthesizers allow tuning table dumps. The two most common formats for this are the Midi Tuning Standard format and the Yamaha format. The Midi Tuning Standard is currently implemented on current DSI synths (Prophet 6, 08, 12 OB06 etc), the Korg monologue, your own juno 66 and was implemented in 1990s Ensoniq and Emu synths and samplers. The yahama sysex format was used on the DX7IID era of instruments and modules.
justintonation
Another question.

Is there the ability to add a footswitch to switch tunings? I suppose any trigger input could be used this way with say a doepfer footswitch module.

Is this currently possible or in the works ?
tubbutec
Hi,

- Second hardware prototype with larger display will be assembled next week, front panels powder coated and screen printed. If everything fits and works we will produce the first batch.

I tried to write down all the features currently implemented. This is a very rough list, if anything is unclear please let me know:

µTune is a tool designed to serve all needs that may arise when dealing with microtonal scales in a modular context.
Is is:

- A Scale editor

Its inputs and outputs can be freely configured to various functions. It can also detect when an input is plugged in and change its behaviour accordingly.

Quantizer / Mapper

Midi to CV interface

Scale editor

VCO calibration

CV to midi interface

MIDI router

IO functions
CV out: microtonal pitch, velocity chan1, velocity chan 1/2, after touch chan 1/2
Gate in: trigger mapping, gate mapping, measure frequency, trigger random transpose chan 1/2

Planned features
- .. more

Extensions
mmeixner
tubbutec wrote:
Hi,

Is is:

- A Scale editor

Quantizer / Mapper

Midi to CV interface

Scale editor

VCO calibration

CV to midi interface

MIDI router

IO functions

Planned features
- .. more

Extensions

Whoa!
nanners

instant order!

hoping for a PCB or kit version though (5U system here...)
tubbutec
mmeixner wrote:

hoping for a PCB or kit version though (5U system here)

Yes, there will be a DIY version (PCB assembled with SMD parts). And of course instructions how to wire it up.

Also planning 5HE versions, but want to finish the 3HE first
mmeixner
tubbutec wrote:
mmeixner wrote:

hoping for a PCB or kit version though (5U system here)

Yes, there will be a DIY version (PCB assembled with SMD parts). And of course instructions how to wire it up.

Also planning 5HE versions, but want to finish the 3HE first

Great! More than one can hope for, usually - thanks!

thumbs up
Phil999
incredible work.
six_minds
This is fanstastic; im so happy about the expansion port and the auto calibration!
dark_carcass
im going to superbooth
when the first batch will be available to buy eek! hyper MY ASS IS BLEEDING
tubbutec
not allowed to sell anything at superbooth, but first batch will go into production in about 2 weeks
six_minds
is there a way to pre-order this directly? I am very eager to get this! (:
tubbutec
six_minds wrote:
is there a way to pre-order this directly? I am very eager to get this! (:

Please send a mail to mail (ät) tubbutec (döt) de

Will put you on the list and let you know as soon as we start taking orders.
Thank you
Jamesf1
Hi,

Cool looking module.

Can you please let me know how many hp the unit is so I can make some room in my case.

Also is the module going to come pre-loaded with some scales. How many? Mix of standard plus some more experimental?

Apologies if these have already been answered but I could not see them in the thread.

Cheers,
Andy
tubbutec
Jamesf1 wrote:

Can you please let me know how many hp the unit is so I can make some room in my case.

Hi Andy, it is 8HP

Jamesf1 wrote:

Also is the module going to come pre-loaded with some scales. How many? Mix of standard plus some more experimental?

We are planning to have scales already on the SD card, yes. standard scales of course and then there are some great scale packs out there, but have not asked their creators yet, if we can use them for a product.
If not, it is just a matter of drag and drop for the user to copy them on the SD card.

Various scale packs by Sevish:
http://sevish.com/music-resources/

Xen-Arts pack:
http://xen-arts.net/xen-arts-vsti-microtuning-library/

And of course the huge collection of 4500 scales by Scala creator Huygens-Fokker:
http://www.huygens-fokker.org/docs/scales.zip

If you have any suggestions which scales to include, please let me know.
Jamesf1
Cheers for the information. The Sevish scale packs look like just the sort of thing I am after.

I have also sent an email to your address as I would like to order as soon as available.

Many thanks.
toitoy
Could it be possible to make it work with Yamaha CS30?
tubbutec
toitoy wrote:

Yes, it would work with any synth with CV/gate input
toitoy
tubbutec wrote:
toitoy wrote:

well, but cs30 requires Hz/Volt control and uses s-trig with 5V pullup. Is it ok?
tubbutec
toitoy wrote:
tubbutec wrote:
toitoy wrote:

well, but cs30 requires Hz/Volt control and uses s-trig with 5V pullup. Is it ok?

I see, Hz/V is currently not supported, but I will put it on the feature list.
toitoy
That's very cool, looking forward to the release!
tubbutec
[/img]
dark_carcass
hyper hyper screaming goo yo SlayerBadger!
tubbutec
We will be at Superbooth 2017 presenting the µTune.
Come visit us at booth 305 and test it smile
tubbutec
Interview on Superbooth, showing a little bit of the µTune:
https://youtu.be/9gm1tDAjiY4?t=1m20s
Paranormal Patroler
d'oh! 1000 I cannot believe I missed you guys at SuperBooth. Last night in Berlin and after everything I see this; sad banana Must-buy for me. Please make this happen!
danielanez
mmeixner wrote:
thresholdpeople wrote:

+1 !!

+2 for a DIY version. Non presoldered SMD would be better, I think

I'm glad someone brought up the Hz/v standard. If it could be separate by channel that would allow me to use my MS-20 mini with my euro.

There's a feature request I've always wanted: could the quantized scales be updated realtime by holding chords with a keyboard through the MIDI in? That way, when playing a song live, you could make the whole system change chords of your arpeggiators and whatnot by just following chords in a keyboard!

Awesome module!
z3r01
A couple of dumb questions (do bear with me, apologies in advance), so with this module, I can basically either use a MIDI sequencer, and/or quantise a control voltage source from the modular (without using MIDI)? Also, if I have a MIDI sequence running, I can use the CV Ins to transpose the incoming MIDI sequence etc.?

Bloody hell, have been looking for something like this for awhile now, and not sure how I did not see this sooner.

Anyways, a little feature creep if I may. From what I understand about the module, the CV/Gate outs can be set to different functions (velocity, mod, MIDI Clock/Run), and the module itself has an expansion port.

I was just wondering if it would be possible to have an expander module that would 'breakout' these functions instead? An expander module (about 4hp, or less?) that has additional assignable outputs (maybe 2 per channel), plus a Clock, and a Run/Reset output, would make this whole package pretty awesome.
tubbutec
danielanez wrote:

+2 for a DIY version. Non presoldered SMD would be better, I think

Noted. Some SMD parts have a really fine pitch (0.5mm), nothing one would want to solder by hand. (we did it for the prototypes, but it is no fun)

danielanez wrote:

I'm glad someone brought up the Hz/v standard. If it could be separate by channel that would allow me to use my MS-20 mini with my euro.

Of course. All features can be set for each channel independently.

danielanez wrote:

There's a feature request I've always wanted: could the quantized scales be updated realtime by holding chords with a keyboard through the MIDI in? That way, when playing a song live, you could make the whole system change chords of your arpeggiators and whatnot by just following chords in a keyboard!

Not excactly sure what you mean. Could you elaborate?

z3r01 wrote:

so with this module, I can basically either use a MIDI sequencer, and/or quantise a control voltage source from the modular (without using MIDI)? Also, if I have a MIDI sequence running, I can use the CV Ins to transpose the incoming MIDI sequence etc.?

Yes

z3r01 wrote:

I was just wondering if it would be possible to have an expander module that would 'breakout' these functions instead? An expander module (about 4hp, or less?) that has additional assignable outputs (maybe 2 per channel), plus a Clock, and a Run/Reset output, would make this whole package pretty awesome.

The functions of the expander module's inputs and outputs can of course also freely set to any function. So it is not a problem to always have clock, start/stop, etc.
z3r01
tubbutec wrote:

z3r01 wrote:

so with this module, I can basically either use a MIDI sequencer, and/or quantise a control voltage source from the modular (without using MIDI)? Also, if I have a MIDI sequence running, I can use the CV Ins to transpose the incoming MIDI sequence etc.?

Yes

z3r01 wrote:

The functions of the expander module's inputs and outputs can of course also freely set to any function. So it is not a problem to always have clock, start/stop, etc.

Thanks for the reply, tubbutec.

Ah ok ok, I misinterpreted the part about the expansion module. Somehow I misread it as separate expansion modules for different functions. My bad. d'oh!

With regards to the expander, any idea how many hp it is going to be for now?

Pretty much sold on the module, and eagerly looking forward to it. thumbs up

Thanks again!
CopperHydra
This is a badass utility. Is it capable of polyphonic aftertouch? I'm imagining several uTune's chained together via midi. Also, a feature I'm sure a lot of people would be interested in is an auto tune function. Would these be possible in future updates with this hardware?
freq_divider
tubbutec wrote:
Interview on Superbooth, showing a little bit of the µTune:
https://youtu.be/9gm1tDAjiY4?t=1m20s

that prototype looks great! i even like the color Mr. Green
tubbutec
z3r01 wrote:
With regards to the expander, any idea how many hp it is going to be for now?

Currently trying to fit two more complete channels (8 sockets) into 2HP, but can not promise anything

CopperHydra wrote:
Is it capable of polyphonic aftertouch?
Yes

CopperHydra wrote:

I'm imagining several uTune's chained together via midi.

This will be possible but maybe not necessary. There will be an extension module with two more channels and you can chain several of these for even more channels.

CopperHydra wrote:

Also, a feature I'm sure a lot of people would be interested in is an auto tune function. Would these be possible in future updates with this hardware?

Currently there is a manual VCO calibration procedure which you perform once for each VCO. We will automate this, so a VCO is characterised and calibrated with the touch of a button.
You can save and load this calibration on the SD card.

But maybe what you are thinking about is a continuous measurement and adjustment of the VCO frequency. This feature is possible with the current hardware, but we have not tested it yet. It is also somewhat debatable if this is a 'good' feature at all: By creating such a feedback loop, the original characteristic of the VCO (the reason why you would use an analogue oscillator in the first place) is replaced by the characteristic of the feedback loop.
Paranormal Patroler
Any chance the expander's inputs can be set up so that the NoteOn information also has CV-controllable velocity? It's something I appreciate on the a-192-2 and ADDAC222 and I'd love to have it here as well. Seems like this isn't an option with the current hardware options unless you map CV input #2 to velocity which is a loss in my humble opinion.

I wouldn't mind doing that via the expander if possible. Especially if you keep it at 2HP.
myecholalia
I guess there is no banana version in the cards, is there?
justintonation
Sorry if this has already been asked. But how will it treat slew, slides, portamento etc?
okkoto
Enjoy the show!
pisrecords
any news? It's peanut butter jelly time!
'';l;"
tubbutec
Paranormal Patroler wrote:

I wouldn't mind doing that via the expander if possible. Especially if you keep it at 2HP.

Put velocity for cv-gate to midi converter on the feature list. Thanks for the suggestion.

myecholalia wrote:

I guess there is no banana version in the cards, is there?

Currently not, no. We will however offer a DIY version with unsoldered jack sockets. This should allow it to easily use banana sockets instead.
An important remark about this however: With banana jacks there is no dedicated ground connection in connector and wires. Instead a common ground on the backplane is used. This may lead to additional noise on the CV output which might lower the precision. We have not tested this.

justintonation wrote:

how will it treat slew, slides, portamento etc?

Currently this is not implemented. It is of course possible to implement these in software. However it is debatable if adjusting portamento parameters with the on screen menu is desirable. I will put it on the feature list if you like, but maybe also consider using a slew rate limiter for this task.

pisrecords wrote:
any news? It's peanut butter jelly time!

We are now working on several fronts:
- Finding the right manufactures for front panel and SMD assembly, getting quotes, sourcing parts, etc.. (almost done)
- Building a few more units by hand for beta testers (sorry we already have enough)
- Finishing the bootloader (firmware update from SD card), so beta testers can actually receive their units
- Software is currently working and the module usable, but with you guys adding feature request all the time of course software development will take some time..
- Designing the extension module(s).
justintonation
tubbutec wrote:

justintonation wrote:

how will it treat slew, slides, portamento etc?

Currently this is not implemented. It is of course possible to implement these in software. However it is debatable if adjusting portamento parameters with the on screen menu is desirable. I will put it on the feature list if you like, but maybe also consider using a slew rate limiter for this.

Sorry i think i did not explain my question correctly. I am wondering what happens to pitch cv from analog sequencers such as Doepfer a-155 and Verbos multistage which add slew to their outputs. I have never used any quantizer before. Does the quantizer preserve portamento or does it quantize rising or falling cv to the nearest step in the scale?

Thanks
zed888
tubbutec wrote:

But maybe what you are thinking about is a continuous measurement and adjustment of the VCO frequency. This feature is possible with the current hardware, but we have not tested it yet. It is also somewhat debatable if this is a 'good' feature at all: By creating such a feedback loop, the original characteristic of the VCO (the reason why you would use an analogue oscillator in the first place) is replaced by the characteristic of the feedback loop.

Yeah, this doesn't seem useful to me. A more standard tuner (A=440, 443, 415, whatever) would be very handy though. Sorry if that has already been listed as a feature already.
It sounds like this is the way you'd be going anyway, but for the record I'd want a full kit with all the parts and the smd stuff pre-soldered.
As far as glide/lag goes, I say don't bother. Unless you're going to add a dedicated glide knob, menu diving to change a lag value doesn't sound fun. Ladik makes a couple affordable 4hp lag modules- I'll get one of those.
Also- was changing tuning with a trigger a planned feature or just a possible feature? I get confused. This seems like a must to me.
Thanks for all your hard work. It's nice to see the pics of the real unit!
Phil999
why would you want to change tuning with a trigger?
zed888
Because you could use a footswitch if you have your hands full, use a more convenient button/controller, switch tuning in the middle of a sequence, etc...
tubbutec
justintonation wrote:

Sorry i think i did not explain my question correctly. I am wondering what happens to pitch cv from analog sequencers such as Doepfer a-155 and Verbos multistage which add slew to their outputs. I have never used any quantizer before. Does the quantizer preserve portamento or does it quantize rising or falling cv to the nearest step in the scale?

Thanks

Depending on your setting µTune will sample continuously, gated or triggered. So if you have a slowly changing cv input you will either get a glissando or a representation of the cv at the moment of triggering. Pretty sure this is the case with every quantiser.

zed888 wrote:

A more standard tuner (A=440, 443, 415, whatever) would be very handy though. Sorry if that has already been listed as a feature already.

It is not listed, but already included

zed888 wrote:

It sounds like this is the way you'd be going anyway, but for the record I'd want a full kit with all the parts and the smd stuff pre-soldered.

Will be available, yes.

zed888 wrote:

As far as glide/lag goes, I say don't bother. Unless you're going to add a dedicated glide knob, menu diving to change a lag value doesn't sound fun.

My thought exactly smile

zed888 wrote:

Also- was changing tuning with a trigger a planned feature or just a possible feature? I get confused. This seems like a must to me.

I have a beta tester with a similar request and we will think of a way to make this work in a user friendly way. There must be a mechanism to define which scales to select from, which order, by trigger, or select via CV etc..
Paranormal Patroler
tubbutec wrote:
zed888 wrote:

I have a beta tester with a similar request and we will think of a way to make this work in a user friendly way. There must be a mechanism to define which scales to select from, which order, by trigger, or select via CV etc..

I say go for CV selection. If people want the option to trigger they can use a sequencer for the job. Most quantizers have a CV input for transposition or scale selection anyway.
thresholdpeople
I second CV selection over trigger. This will allow for specific tuning changes, as opposed to having to step through X- choices with a trigger. It's like the difference between selecting tuning system with a knob or up/down buttons.
zed888
I'd be happy with CV, but it seems like there's room for both. Somebody earlier in the thread was asking about using a footswitch. Maybe you'd have your list of scales to rotate with a toggle for CV or trigger/gate.
RubberGong
MORE INFO smile
justintonation
Bump for news?
six_minds
one more bump for updates?
tubbutec
Still waiting for manufacturer quotes, should not be much longer. In the meantime we are working on the firmware and had producing a few more units which will be shipped to beta testers.
bravedog
Looks like a great unit!

When assigning midi from a keyboard, if eg outputting a created 13-note- to-the- octave even tempered scale, would octaves on the keyboard still be octaves in the white/black key layout, or would they shift to 13 keys/octave [to play pitch and octave of C by pressing keyboard keys, play C key and C# key above]?

With this you can invert keyboard with high pitches at the bottom, right?
tubbutec
bravedog wrote:
When assigning midi from a keyboard, if eg outputting a created 13-note- to-the- octave even tempered scale, would octaves on the keyboard still be octaves in the white/black key layout, or would they shift to 13 keys/octave [to play pitch and octave of C by pressing keyboard keys, play C key and C# key above]?

By default the output notes are mapped to the number of the midi note. So one octave would be 13 keys apart and as a result it would shift they way you describe. It will however be possible to use a keyboard mapping file (.KBM, also used by Scala) to map each keyboard key to a specific scala note. Of if you want to use all 13 notes there is no way to fit them into a normal keyboard.

bravedog wrote:
With this you can invert keyboard with high pitches at the bottom, right?

Yes, it is absolutely possible to create a scale (in Scala or in the µTune editor) which inverts the keyboard.
tubbutec
Progress:

- Added an overview screen which shows larger status info and also includes a two channel tuner!

- Fixed bugs and improved speed, various tiny features

- Completed the Firmware updater (via SD - Card)
NewNewRon
Very interesting. Great work. I'd buy one tomorrow.
justintonation
This project is sounding amazing! I'll be buying at least one.

One question, will the various tunings have a common pitch for the root note and global pitch (i.e pitch 0 or 1/1 and A = 440hz or 4??hz etc. in a scala file?) or will each individual tuning have a separate root note and global pitch reference?

I have some ideas where the root pitch changes with each change in scale which could be achieved in various ways. Either by changing the global reference pitch. Or by changing the tuning of 1/1 or else by including some scales in the list that do not have 1/1 as the first pitch but start on a small ratio like 28/27 or 16/15.

Also will scales that do not repeat at the octave work ?
tubbutec
justintonation wrote:

One question, will the various tunings have a common pitch for the root note and global pitch (i.e pitch 0 or 1/1 and A = 440hz or 4??hz etc. in a scala file?) or will each individual tuning have a separate root note and global pitch reference?

Scala files do not have an absolute tuning reference, only relative tuning information. You can set the base pitch by adjusting your VCO accordingly. The µTune contains a two channel tuner for this purpose.

Scala files also do not support the tuning of the 1/1 note, because all pitches are relative to it.

justintonation wrote:

Also will scales that do not repeat at the octave work ?

Yes
justintonation
Thanks for the info. The on board tuner should be really helpful!

I was just reading more about the scala file specification. it seems that 1/1 is also implied in all scales. So the first note to input in your file is your first step away from 0 (1/1) in either a cents or ratio value.
tubbutec
Print test and color sample

[/img]
RubberGong
I was thinking a clock out would make a lot of sense in the expander, at least for my needs smile - would make it a lot more versatile as a straight up midi cv interface.
undothis
Is there a way for this or another module to change speed and time signature of pitch CV generated from an arp module?

Meaning if I have an arpeggiator going into a multi one of the outs will get divided and controle an oscillator. The other one would stay normal so I can have two arpeggios going at different speeds and time signatures? Hope that makes sense.

Thank you
bravedog
Hi, I'm unclear on defining scales as scala files and wonder if defining scales will be within the module, or whether one downloads and uses the scala program independently, and only import them into the module after creation? Scala program is at
http://www.huygens-fokker.org/scala/

Can anyone familiar with this program tell me if documentation is good and program easy to use, assuming this is how scales for this module are to be created and then imported?

Anyway looks exciting, I wonder current hoped for release date and cost for this module?
zed888
undothis wrote:
Is there a way for this or another module to change speed and time signature of pitch CV generated from an arp module?

Meaning if I have an arpeggiator going into a multi one of the outs will get divided and controle an oscillator. The other one would stay normal so I can have two arpeggios going at different speeds and time signatures? Hope that makes sense.

Thank you

Unless it's an extra feature not mentioned before, this module won't help. You need a clock divider. There are many available- do a search on modulargrid and you'll get lots of results.
EDIT- Actually, if you're using a single arpeggiator, the easiest way to do what I think you want is with a clock-syncing delay like the DubJr MK2, Chronoblob, or Dual Looping Delay. The Disiting Mk4 will work too, but with fewer options.
undothis
Hi Thanks for the write. I was under the impression that a divider was more for trigs and gates not for pitch?

Thank you

zed888 wrote:
undothis wrote:

Thank you

Unless it's an extra feature not mentioned before, this module won't help. You need a clock divider. There are many available- do a search on modulargrid and you'll get lots of results.
EDIT- Actually, if you're using a single arpeggiator, the easiest way to do what I think you want is with a clock-syncing delay like the DubJr MK2, Chronoblob, or Dual Looping Delay. The Disiting Mk4 will work too, but with fewer options.
zed888
undothis wrote:
Hi Thanks for the write. I was under the impression that a divider was more for trigs and gates not for pitch?

Thank you

It is. Hence the edit suggesting a delay. Divide the audio, not the pitch cv.
undothis
Gotcha thanks

zed888 wrote:
undothis wrote:

Thank you

It is. Hence the edit suggesting a delay. Divide the audio, not the pitch cv.
justintonation
bravedog wrote:
Hi, I'm unclear on defining scales as scala files and wonder if defining scales will be within the module, or whether one downloads and uses the scala program independently, and only import them into the module after creation? Scala program is at
http://www.huygens-fokker.org/scala/

Can anyone familiar with this program tell me if documentation is good and program easy to use, assuming this is how scales for this module are to be created and then imported?

Anyway looks exciting, I wonder current hoped for release date and cost for this module?

I do not know about the specifics of this module but I can speak about the ease of use of the scala program. Scala is deep but quite easy to use. It includes a guided tutorial which should get you going for the basic and most used functions of the program. Documentation for scala is also excellent.
bravedog
Thanks! Yes I have installed Scala now and gone through the tutorial now, it's quite a program for tunings! I THINK I can get where I want by editing existing scales, but there are things I don't see yet such as
1] creating scales by scratch by specifying ,say, cents up from tonic
2]creating scales where octave isn't 2/1
3] creating assignments of all midi keys available on a keyboard without any octave values [guess this is done through #2 just setting hi and low notes of keyboard as the 'octave'

in other words, the tutorial seems to deal mostly with analysis and exploration of existing scales, which is great, but I wonder if there's any resource link to creating new scales?

Also in File>open scale I don't see any way to type in scale name? Scrolling through thousands of names inefficient. Probably am missing something...
tubbutec
Update:

Received final front panel sample (see picture), PCBs ordered, almost all parts in stock and the assembler ready to begin.

[/img]
justintonation
bravedog wrote:
Thanks! Yes I have installed Scala now and gone through the tutorial now, it's quite a program for tunings! I THINK I can get where I want by editing existing scales, but there are things I don't see yet such as
1] creating scales by scratch by specifying ,say, cents up from tonic
2]creating scales where octave isn't 2/1
3] creating assignments of all midi keys available on a keyboard without any octave values [guess this is done through #2 just setting hi and low notes of keyboard as the 'octave'

in other words, the tutorial seems to deal mostly with analysis and exploration of existing scales, which is great, but I wonder if there's any resource link to creating new scales?

Also in File>open scale I don't see any way to type in scale name? Scrolling through thousands of names inefficient. Probably am missing something...

Point 1. yes you can do this 2. You can do this too. 3. Notes are just assigned in the order in which you define them in the scala file assuming your synth can handle full synth retuning.

Here is a tutorial that might cover the things that perhaps were not in the tutorial. It covers how to create non octave scales and also just scales. Scales with arbitrary cents values are created in the scame way as just scales, except cents values are used instead of ratios.
http://sevish.com/2015/make-a-new-musical-scale/
sizone
regarding #2, actually, by definition you can't do that. you can create nonoctave scales, but without doubling the frequency of the initial tone you don't have an octave.

creating a new scale in scala is easy. just go to file, new scale and up comes the editing window. you can specify your scale degrees by ratio, cents or frequency
justintonation
sizone wrote:
regarding #2, actually, by definition you can't do that. you can create nonoctave scales, but without doubling the frequency of the initial tone you don't have an octave.

I assumed that he just meant ability to create scales that repeat at intervals other than the octave. I answered his question based on the assumption that this is what he meant. He should of said repeating interval or something rather than octave since as you say an octave refers to the ratio 2/1. But etymology wise octave is from the latin for 8.

Here is some info regarding octaves
http://www.tonalsoft.com/sonic-arts/dict/octave.htm
bravedog
Thanks for your replies! Yes that Sevish link is helpful! Of course I used 'octave' to mean the scale repetition interval, specifically how to set other than 2/1 or true octave. I can't think of another word to use for for the repetition interval for a scale, guess there must be a term?

I remain interested in other resources and tips pages re Scala, please post any such.

I'm also interested in exploring stretching/shrinking keyboards in which as one goes up the keyboard octaves [in my incorrect usage of the term] grow or shrink in interval spread. The simplest implementation is to switch to inappropriate use of Hertz per volt instead of V per octave, such as by running through a converter for eg Korg's Hertz per volt as exist in the Disting. However if this capability might easily be added to the Microtonal module, with adjustable hz/oct, I'd make use of it! [I think not feasible as your implementation is through midi - but I'm still eagerly looking forward to your release!]
tubbutec
@bravedog

in both scala and µTune you can set the 'repetition interval' to anything you like, not just an octave. If you want a scale without any repetition interval on the logarithmic scale, you must define each note explicitly. The result is a scale with 100+ notes, but not a problem and is completely supported.

Hz/V will be supported
Jtalton
so what is the price and ETA on being able to order?
thanks. its looks awesome and will be a day one buy from me.
Paranormal Patroler
Jtalton wrote:

I would like to know this as well.
slow_riot
I'm bowled over by the implementation of this! No-one has done it before in modular. Can't wait to get one.

Will it run OK on +/-15V ?

Hope the expo converter circuitry of VCOs is up to the challenge! Microtuning will really show up any limitations.
tubbutec
Jtalton wrote:

Don't have an ETA yet. What I can tell you however is that all parts are now on the way to the assembly house, front panel delivery expected this week.
Price will most likely be in 290€, less if you life outside the EU
tubbutec
slow_riot wrote:

Will it run OK on +/-15V ?

Yes, it was designed to also run on +-15V from the start. Actually up to +-18 is ok. Ne additional 5V supply needed.

slow_riot wrote:

Hope the expo converter circuitry of VCOs is up to the challenge! Microtuning will really show up any limitations.

The included VCO calibration helps a lot with ba VCOs
zed888
Do you have a rough price for kits? Are they still planned?
Paranormal Patroler
Any more info on the expander? Is it still planned for 2HP? What functionality will that add? Additional CV control over parameters ?

You mentioned something about pitch tracking, so I have to ask, is there any possibility that I will (in the future) be able to use one of the four channels as a microtonal pitch-to-CV/MIDI device with natural control over amplitude (re: internal envelope follower tracking) ?
tubbutec
Kits are still planned, don't have a price for them yet, but they will be cheaper than the complete version. (You might think this should be obvious but from a manufacturing standpoint it is not necessarily so )

The expander will add two complete channels in 2HP. Each channel having gate in, cv in, gate out, cv out. You can use the exactly like the other channels, which means you can also cv control parameters.

The gate-ins can detect pitch. It could be possible to convert this pitch into midi data. I don't know however if this is stable enough to be actually useful, but I will put it on the list. Envelope tracking is not possible this way.
tubbutec
Expander in 2HP / 33mm depth

Paranormal Patroler
I apologize if I'm asking too many questions.

tubbutec wrote:
The expander will add two complete channels in 2HP. Each channel having gate in, cv in, gate out, cv out. You can use the exactly like the other channels, which means you can also cv control parameters.

This means I can use the CV inputs to address parameters on the other channels, right?

Can I use the MIDI input to send information on other MIDI channels, independently of the quantization channels? You did mention that the module will work as a powerful MIDI router but since I don't have the details I have to ask.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 7