MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

TWO59 COMPLEX VCO (by FEEDBACK)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Author TWO59 COMPLEX VCO (by FEEDBACK)
satori
Anyone have a mouser cart for this?
geh2oman
No full cart here, but I highly recommend these LEDs!
GREEN and RED

brandonlogic
has anyone thought about doing a combo panel for this (2vco+shaper)? greyscale maybe?
brandonlogic
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:
Wondering if it's possible to get the panel layout. I would interested in scraping the money together for this project if I could make an all-in-one aluminum panel.

did you get anywhere with this project?
satori
Where can I find the BOM for this? Can't seem to find it anywhere
NiteEagle
The links to the build threads are in the first post of this thread.

Quote:
- This thread for details about availability and ordering. The main post of the project.
- the VCO thread including the building docs.
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=169991
- the SHAPER thread including the building docs.
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=169992

BOM file download links are at the bottom of the first post of each thread.
strat-1
I recorded a short demo to demonstrate the FM capabilities of TWO59 VCO.
I fed another type of VCO (system-X VCO) into the FM input of TWO59.
In recording you will hear in this order :
- sine output of TWO59 with saw as FM modulator,
- triangle output of TWO59 with triangle as FM modulator,
- square output (octave notes) with arp on FM modulator,
- saw output (octave notes) with arp on FM modulator.

[s]https://soundcloud.com/strat1/two59-fm-capabilities[/s]
maxsynth
Hi,

i do not find the BOMs for the sHaper and VCO, think i looked well below on the tread, however no succes

would be interested to buy 2 VCO and 1 shaper, what kits needs to be ordered for that ? all 3 kits per module?

Cheers,
strat-1
maxsynth wrote:
Hi,

i do not find the BOMs for the sHaper and VCO, think i looked well below on the tread, however no succes

would be interested to buy 2 VCO and 1 shaper, what kits needs to be ordered for that ? all 3 kits per module?

Cheers,

"The project is divided in three threads:

- This thread for details about availability and ordering. The main post of the project.
- the VCO thread including the building docs.
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=169991
- the SHAPER thread including the building docs.
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=169992"

You have to add 2xgreen leds 5mm and 2xred leds 5mm to the vco bom.
I'm working hard at 3 new projects...and I forgot to update the bom with these missing values.

You can find all the kits at my online shop :
www.feedbackmodules.com
CliffordMilk
A huge thanks to Strat-1 for all the help in getting my TWO59s up and running. I'm blown away by the sound of these things and by the very kind and generous support I received from Strat-1. Guinness ftw!

I can't wait to get stuck into my new to row smile

jimi23
CliffordMilk wrote:
A huge thanks to Strat-1 for all the help in getting my TWO59s up and running. I'm blown away by the sound of these things and by the very kind and generous support I received from Strat-1. Guinness ftw!

I can't wait to get stuck into my new to row smile

Very nice row! I finished my 2x VCO's this morning before work. Initial test sounded great!! Haven't started the shaper. I did also finish my R*S Serge Wave Multiplier today too, so had them all patched together. Great timbres with just the 3, I'm very excited to get the shaper built!!
Hansi026
Hi everbody,

maybe there is an issue with the waveshaper.
Sometimes the modulation oscillator doesn't works if the square wave is selected on the waveshaper.
It only occurs when the mod index, the timbre are fully cw and the all modulations switches are on, and both oscillators are set at a high frequency.

Especially when the phase lock switch is on !

If you then wiggle at the mod index and/or the modulation oscillator frequency, disappears the sound at the four modulation oscillator outputs, and the waveshaper does not work properly anymore.

then if you switch the waveshaper to trinagel or sawtooth back and forth, the modulation oscillator works again and the waveshaper as well.

Someone else noticed this behavior as well ?
TheSlowGrowth
Yes, I noticed this behaviour as well. Happens only very rarely, so I didn't care. It seemed to me like the modulation oscillators integrator stopped working for some reason.
Hansi026
TheSlowGrowth wrote:
Yes, I noticed this behaviour as well. Happens only very rarely, so I didn't care. It seemed to me like the modulation oscillators integrator stopped working for some reason.

I'm glad I'm not the only one.

And if it would only happens sometimes ..... once a day or something like that , but current at every second or third waveshaper move form sawtooth to squarewave, then the sound at the mod. oscillator drops out.

Totally annoying.

How to fix it ?
strat-1
Hansi026 wrote:
Hi everbody,

Sometimes the modulation oscillator doesn't works if the square wave is selected on the waveshaper.
It only occurs when the mod index, the timbre are fully cw and the all modulations switches are on, and both oscillators are set at a high frequency.

If you then wiggle at the mod index and/or the modulation oscillator frequency, disappears the sound at the four modulation oscillator outputs, and the waveshaper does not work properly anymore.

then if you switch the waveshaper to trinagel or sawtooth back and forth, the modulation oscillator works again and the waveshaper as well.

I am out of already built shaper modules. I Jut started to build two of them and I will study the problem.
Hansi026
strat-1 wrote:
Hansi026 wrote:
Hi everbody,

I am out of already built shaper modules. I Jut started to build two of them and I will study the problem.

thumbs up
jimi23
I'm building the Shaper at the moment. I thought 1/2W resistors were needed in the module, and ordered most of the parts using the mouser codes in the excel BOM in the build docs zip. Some of them are 1/4W resistors though.

Is it ok to use 1/4W for these values that they are given in the excel BOM, or is it an error? Just being cautious
strat-1
jimi23 wrote:
I'm building the Shaper at the moment. I thought 1/2W resistors were needed in the module, and ordered most of the parts using the mouser codes in the excel BOM in the build docs zip. Some of them are 1/4W resistors though.

Is it ok to use 1/4W for these values that they are given in the excel BOM, or is it an error? Just being cautious

It's ok. It's better to exceeds the power limit than have problems. In this circuit you don't have resitors in the power filtering circuit, they are replaced by ferrites, so the other resitors can be lower than 500-600mw.
jimi23
strat-1 wrote:
jimi23 wrote:

It's ok. It's better to exceeds the power limit than have problems. In this circuit you don't have resitors in the power filtering circuit, they are replaced by ferrites, so the other resitors can be lower than 500-600mw.

That's what I thought, thanks!

Job done, works first go!! With the symmetry LED, should it only begin lighting up halfway? I guess halfway is its 'neutral' position. Just need to keep tweaking the FET trimmers to taste tonight after work, as it is now with order CCW Timbre has no effect until ~50%, but with order up Timbre starts folding much earlier

Sounding really nice with modulation!
strat-1
jimi23 wrote:

Job done, works first go!! With the symmetry LED, should it only begin lighting up halfway? I guess halfway is its 'neutral' position. Just need to keep tweaking the FET trimmers to taste tonight after work, as it is now with order CCW Timbre has no effect until ~50%, but with order up Timbre starts folding much earlier

Sounding really nice with modulation!

The led begins to lit only halfway because of the VTL, try changing the VTLs between them until you find the right spot for each. Some VTLs will not work at all. I buy 4 VTLs more than I need for each shaper and throw away those who don't fit to the characteristics.
And yes you have to trimm the fet bias to achieve effect on all the pot range.
jimi23
Ok I'll start swapping them about!
I will report that I'm getting the same behaviour as others, the modulation osc disappears when set to square sometimes, reappearing when changing shape
rithma
Quote:
I buy 4 VTLs more than I need for each shaper and throw away those who don't fit to the characteristics.

Thats like somebody saying "I throw away $20 bills"

or maybe you have a cheaper source for Vactrols?

theres a lot of them in this build...
secrethero303
Just finished this build tonight. I can't believe how great it sounds. I can see why people have trouble pulling it back out to calibrate after testing. smile

Everything went together easily and both VCO's worked right away. The only issue I had was with a dead CD4001B in the Shaper, which took a bit of time to troubleshoot. Thankfully, schematics and board images in the documentation helped me sort things out.

Thanks for the great module strat-1
Hansi026
jimi23 wrote:
Ok I'll start swapping them about!
I will report that I'm getting the same behaviour as others, the modulation osc disappears when set to square sometimes, reappearing when changing shape

I thought it had to do with some extreme settings (mod index - timbre, both fully cw).
But in my case, the phase lock (switched on) plays a big role.
aero
Hello, what's the tracking like on the VCO?

many thanks
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Page 4 of 5