MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

TWO59 COMPLEX VCO (by FEEDBACK)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author TWO59 COMPLEX VCO (by FEEDBACK)
strat-1
UPDATE : The FEEDBACK Store is online now :
www.feedbackmodules.com



PLEASE USE THIS THREAD FOR QUESTIONS RELATING THE PROJECT AND THE KITS, USE THE DEDICATED THREADS FOR TROUBLESHOOTING AND TECHNICAL QUESTIONS. THANK YOU.

TWO59 is a complex oscillator consisting of 3 modules : two identical triangle core vco's (one main vco and one for modulation) and a shaper module.
You have the option to use the VCO independently or two VCOs in conjunction with the shaper module as a complex oscillator.

Because of the triangle core, the VCO's work very well for FM modulation.

TWO59 is not a clone of the original 259, but an enhanced adaptation of the classic circuit to eurorack format with many additional features.
Also our goal was to replace most obsolete parts with current products where possible, to make parts sourcing less problematic. Of course there are a few places where the original parts were essential for correct functionality.


Some of the features:
-standalone eurorack modules, so if you want you can only build and use the VCO
-4 independent buffered outputs that can be used simultaneously with the shaper module
-more stable core using THAT340 matched pairs transistors which provides a higher correct octave range than the original circuit
-more trimming options added in the shaper section to make tuning easier


This is a highly complex project, it is not recommended to beginners. You need some skills and experience with previously built projects.
Also this project involves many expensive parts. Before deciding to build it we recommend to consult the BOM list and the build docs to have a better idea about the complexity of the project.
An oscilloscope, a multimeter and a frequency meter are essential to make the building and calibration process easy. Calibrating by ear is not an option if you want the complex oscillator to work correctly.

We tried to make the documentation as detailed as possible and we added a comprehensive calibration section.

Even if you are an experienced builder with good electronics knowledge we recommend to take a look at the
manual in the process of building, it contains details that can ease your build.

The project is divided in three threads:

- This thread for details about availability and ordering. The main post of the project.
- the VCO thread including the building docs.
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=169991
- the SHAPER thread including the building docs.
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=169992


As previous FEEDBACK projects, I will not sell the pcbs without front panels.

FOR ORDERING PLEASE SPECIFY THE QUANTITY OF EACH TYPE OF MODULE (EX. IF YOU WANT A FULL UNIT :2XVCO KIT?, 1XSHAPER KIT?)
THE VCO CAN BE BOUGHT SEPARATELY AND THIS WILL CREATE CONFUSION IF YOU DON'T SPECIFY THE TYPE OF MODULE YOU WANT.

VCO KIT1: 2PCBs + Front Panel 25EUR (20pcs.)
VCO KIT2: 2PCBs + Front Panel 35EUR (20pcs.)
+ 2XPN3565 (matched)
+ 2N5457 preselected for correct sine shape (limited stock)
+ 2 resistors preselected for correct sine shape
VCO KIT3: 2PCBs + Front Panel 55EUR (10pcs.)
+ 2XPN3565 (matched)
+ 2N5457 preselected for correct sine shape (limited stock)
+ 2 resistors preselected for correct sine shape
+ 8Xjack sockets, 5X9mm pots (10KB, 20KB, 50KA), 4X Cream Knobs 1900h type, 1X big cream Knob 1510 type
+ 1x14 way header MALE, 1x14 way header FEMALE

KIT1 :



KIT2 :



KIT3 :



SHAPER KIT1: 3PCBs + Front Panel 35EUR (10pcs.)
SHAPER KIT2: 3PCBs + Front Panel 55EUR (10pcs.)
+ 2XPN3565 (matched)
+ 2XLF13331 (tested)
+ 1X2N3958 dual fet (tested)
+ 1X79L06 (hard to get in some places)
SHAPER KIT3: 3PCBs + Front Panel 80EUR (5pcs.)
+ 2XPN3565 (matched)
+ 2XLF13331 (tested)
+ 1X2N3958 dual fet (tested)
+ 1X79L06 (hard to get in some places)
+ 6Xjack sockets, 6X10KB 9mm pots, 4X Cream Knobs 1900h type, 2X big cream Knob 1510 type
+ 2x2 way header MALE, 2x2 way header FEMALE
+ 1x8 way header MALE, 1x8 way header FEMALE
+ 2X10 way header MALE, 2x10 way header FEMALE
+ 1x20way2row Header MALE, 1x20way2row Header FEMALE

KIT1 :



KIT2 :



KIT3 :



You can find all the kits and full modules to : www.feedbackmodules.com


Audio demos :

The sound clicks are from computer latency, not from the modules smile
Somehow I forgot to record the ramp wave. I will record it soon.

[s]https://soundcloud.com/strat1/two59-square[/s]
[s]https://soundcloud.com/strat1/two59-triangle[/s]
 [s]https://soundcloud.com/strat1/two59-sine[/s]
[s]https://soundcloud.com/strat1/two59-shaper-basics[/s]
 [s]https://soundcloud.com/strat1/two59-shaper-modulations[/s]
[s]https://soundcloud.com/strat1/two59-two59s-on-the-bread[/s]

This demo uses 2 Full modules and one additional VCO (5VCO's in total). For this I didn't used extreme modulations, it's a demo to demonstrate how good is the tracking of VCOs on notes.
It was recorded real time.
-The starting bass line panned to the left speaker is a triangle wave passing to a jupiter8 filter module, to know how will sound affected by a VCF.
-The second line panned more to the right is the ouput of one shaper directly to a VCA. I turn the timbre slowly in various points of the song.
-For the other two lines I used some spring reverb.
-The ending is with pitch (fm) modulation ON.
-All the VCO's stayed in tune for a period of 3 hours until I closed the system.





Other Feeback projects you can build :

CP3+ Mixer :
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=158439
SmArTT verter :
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=158691
106 Chorus :
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=158257
PRE CR :
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=163228
PRE BX :
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=163224
PRE KM :
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=163227
106 Chorus :
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=166892
GryphonP3
Oh heeeeeell yeah!!! Been waiting on this forever!!

Will take a Kit2 please!
gwaidan
Looks great!
mush
Kit 3 please.
Isaiah
These look ace! Well done!

What sort of range are the CV inputs expecting? 0~5V? 0~10V? +/-5V?
What are the output levels of the VCOs, still Buchla level or amplified?
strat-1
Isaiah wrote:
These look ace! Well done!

What sort of range are the CV inputs expecting? 0~5V? 0~10V? +/-5V?
What are the output levels of the VCOs, still Buchla level or amplified?


0-10V cv signals with pots to minimum (SYMMETRY, ORDER) only positive voltage.
Attenuverted inputs accept negative voltage input.
Outputs are 4Vpp.
strat-1
FOR ORDERING PLEASE SPECIFY THE QUANTITY OF EACH TYPE OF MODULE (EX. IF YOU WANT A FULL UNIT : 2XVCO KIT?, 1XSHAPER KIT?)
THE VCO CAN BE BOUGHT SEPARATELY AND THIS WILL CREATE CONFUSION IF YOU DON'T SPECIFY THE TYPE OF MODULE YOU WANT.
Jarno
Fantastic work, and I still think that build doc with that background is tres cool, the only thing missing is the crease in the middle for the wider pages grin
It is tempting to buy the full thing, but I still have two spare 258j boards I'd like to use so for me:

I'd like 1x Shaper KIT2 (the KIT2 without the headers, just the hard to get silicon).


By the way, there's a typo in the ordering for the SHAPER, the kit with the headers is KIT3 I presume, and right now it says KIT2.
acilator
interested in;
VCO Kit2 2x
Shaper Kit2 1x
djamsia
HELLO

interested in;
2x VCO Kit2
1x Shaper Kit2

THANKS!!!
synthetek
Interested in

2x VCO Kit 2
1x Shaper Kit 2

Thanks Rockin' Banana!
strat-1
Jarno wrote:
Fantastic work, and I still think that build doc with that background is tres cool, the only thing missing is the crease in the middle for the wider pages grin
It is tempting to buy the full thing, but I still have two spare 258j boards I'd like to use so for me:

I'd like 1x Shaper KIT2 (the KIT2 without the headers, just the hard to get silicon).


By the way, there's a typo in the ordering for the SHAPER, the kit with the headers is KIT3 I presume, and right now it says KIT2.


I corrected the mistake. Thank you,

You have to connect 258 VCOs at the back of the module with connectors - 4Vpp exact signals (you need to scale them if they are not right).
astroschnautzer
interested in:
2x vco kit2
1x shaper kit2
negate
Hi.

This is all great, but where to get the VTL5C3/2 Vactrols?

Cheers.
fuzzbass
106 Chorus was a smash! I would take:
4x VCO Kit3
2x Shaper Kit3

Thanks,
strat-1
negate wrote:
Hi.

This is all great, but where to get the VTL5C3/2 Vactrols?

Cheers.


It's all noted in the BOM list.
You can buy Xvive versions from Thonk (tested in the project).
Or you can find Perkin Elmer old ones on ebay.
audiohawk
The Chewbacca Defense
2xVCO Kit2
1xSHAPER Kit2

Thank you!
nurbivore
awww yiss

2x VCO Kit 2
1x Shaper Kit 2
paterursus
Hi,
Interested in
2x VCO kit 2
1x shaper kit 2

Thanks much for this!
sduck
I like it! I want 2 VCO kit 2. and 1 shaper kit 2.
Willzyx
Looks very cool, I am in for
1x Shaper Kit 2
strat-1
Unfortunately all the SHAPER kits are out of stock.
I still have 12 VCO boards in stock for those who want to build just the VCO or want to build the VCOs in advance.
sduck
Then put me on the waiting list for when you get more!
sanders
Yeah, I'd like to be on the list for a Shaper kit 2
spneca
Could you put me on the list for 2x VCO kit 3 and 1x Shaper kit 3, please?
Kickflip
D'oh, just missed it as well!

I'd also like to be added to the waiting list for the Shaper Kit 2. Like Jarno I have two 258j boards that have been waiting for Beautyofdecay's shaper for a number of years hihi
Dogma
2 x vco kit #3
1 x shaper kit - #3
sicpaul
How could i miss this?
Fantastic work applause

Please put me on wait list for 1 shaper #kit2
and 2 vcos #kit2

Thanks
strat-1
Kickflip wrote:
D'oh, just missed it as well!

I'd also like to be added to the waiting list for the Shaper Kit 2. Like Jarno I have two 258j boards that have been waiting for Beautyofdecay's shaper for a number of years hihi


THINGS TO TAKE IN CONSIDERATION IF YOU WANT TO USE OTHER OSCILLATORS INSTEAD OF TWO59 VCO :

- You do not have input connectors for waveforms on front of the shaper. The oscillators connects to the shaper on back of the module, so you will need to connect external oscillators on those connectors.
- All the input waveforms need to be exactly 4~4.2Vpp :
- For master oscillator : - SINE -/+2Vpp
- TRI -/+2Vpp (or bypass the offs. circuit)
- SQR-0-4Vpp
- For modulator oscillator : SQR, TRI, SAW(RMP) - 0-4Vpp

Take a look to the schematic to understand how waveforms are fed to the shaper unit.
I will draw soon a block diagram to exemplify how they should be connected.
sduck
Are you adding names to a waiting list for the shapers? Will there be more of these available soon? When they become available will the 2 vco kits I asked about still be available?
d.simon
This looks like a great project. I would like to get a full set of kit2. That is:
2XVCO KIT2
1XSHAPER KIT2

If any of the above available now I'd like to "build in advance". Or alternately, If there is a wait-list please add me to it.
strat-1
sduck wrote:
Are you adding names to a waiting list for the shapers? Will there be more of these available soon? When they become available will the 2 vco kits I asked about still be available?


Yes, I'm noting all the requests.
I ordered another boards and parts. The boards will be available in 2-3 weeks.
The project have so many parts... it depleted my stock of every rare parts smile
Jarno
Received today!
Thanks!
CliffordMilk
Received today. Thanks for the great care in packaging. Really looking forward to this project.
batank
Please add me to the list for a full unit:

2xVCO KIT3 + SHAPER KIT3

and thanks!
djamsia
move to Building Thread. sorry
Jarno
Nevermind
andronikos
I always wanted 259! Please add me to the list:
2*VCO KIT #2
1*SHAPER KIT #2
ninGiaBoom
I'm interested in 2 Vco's Kits #2 and 1 Shaper kit #2...are these shaper's kits still available?
yan6
Could you please put me on the list for

2 - VCO, Kit 2
1 - Shaper, Kit 2
strat-1
ninGiaBoom wrote:
I'm interested in 2 Vco's Kits #2 and 1 Shaper kit #2...are these shaper's kits still available?


I received almost all the parts and boards. I will send the kits in order of requests.
synthetek
Got mine today!
Thanks!
ninGiaBoom
strat-1 wrote:


I received almost all the parts and boards. I will send the kits in order of requests.


Cool It's peanut butter jelly time! nanners
sanemalkavian
I am interested in two VCO #3 kits and one Shaper #3 kit
olga42
I'm interested in two VCO #3 kits and one shaper #3 kit as well. Could you please add me to the list?
synchromesh
Hi, I would be interested in a Shaper Kit #2. Can you please add me to the waiting list? Cheers! thumbs up
davidschwan1
If not to late I would like to order one #1-#3.
terramorpher
Looks great!

Please add me for:

2*VCO KIT #2
1*SHAPER KIT #2

Thanks!
dubstephead
Amazing! Put me on the list please. love
fuzzbass
This complex VCO is a complex project. I built both VCOs and I am halfway through the shaper.

There is the usual warning about how this is not for beginners. True that. BUT... if you are somewhere between beginner and intermediate level, and you want something 259ish, you can level up with this project.

Because... even though it is a dense and complex build, with many parts, some of them rares... it also has the most detailed and well thought out build documents I have ever seen for a module.

Bravo Strat for putting together such excellent documentation! In English thank you!
CliffordMilk
Well said. Best build manual I've ever seen. Fantastic VCOs these.
fuzzbass
Who is this Strat-1 Feedback person? A couple of years ago we saw very simple utility modules like an attenuverter, and a mixer. Then the 106 Chorus, which was a big leap. Now this! The mighty 259 is a dragon, and Strat-1 has slain it. The apprentice has leveled up to sorcerer in very short time. we're not worthy

How does Strat-1 follow this? Suggestion: Euro-MARF!
dubstephead
Super professional and helpful and nice. Thanks Strat-1! Can't wait for the modules hyper
dubstephead
@strat-1

Loving your Soundcloud as well! awesome tune. listened multiple times!

[s]https://soundcloud.com/loved-by-ghosts/all-those-lovers[/s]
strat-1
dubstephead wrote:
@strat-1

Loving your Soundcloud as well! awesome tune. listened multiple times!

[s]https://soundcloud.com/loved-by-ghosts/all-those-lovers[/s]


Dammit! You found me smile
dubstephead
strat-1 wrote:
dubstephead wrote:
@strat-1

Loving your Soundcloud as well! awesome tune. listened multiple times!

[s]https://soundcloud.com/loved-by-ghosts/all-those-lovers[/s]


Dammit! You found me smile


haha! The secrets out!
but seriously I've listened to all the tunes on there multiple times.
Really Really good! Awesome future-retro industrial punk vibe.

Got anything else in the works? (I know your probably super busy w/ this awesome gear)

Gonna listen to them all again over breakfast right now... hehe... Rockin' Banana!
strat-1
dubstephead wrote:
strat-1 wrote:
dubstephead wrote:
@strat-1

Loving your Soundcloud as well! awesome tune. listened multiple times!

[s]https://soundcloud.com/loved-by-ghosts/all-those-lovers[/s]


Dammit! You found me smile


haha! The secrets out!
but seriously I've listened to all the tunes on there multiple times.
Really Really good! Awesome future-retro industrial punk vibe.

Got anything else in the works? (I know your probably super busy w/ this awesome gear)

Thanx for the good words.
I have songs for an album but never had time to record them all.
I hope 2017 will have more days than 2016.
Gonna listen to them all again over breakfast right now... hehe... Rockin' Banana!
pulsesynthesizers
Please put me down for
VCO kit 2
Shaper kit 3

Cheers
dubstephead
strat-1 wrote:
dubstephead wrote:
strat-1 wrote:
dubstephead wrote:
@strat-1

Loving your Soundcloud as well! awesome tune. listened multiple times!

[s]https://soundcloud.com/loved-by-ghosts/all-those-lovers[/s]


Dammit! You found me smile


haha! The secrets out!
but seriously I've listened to all the tunes on there multiple times.
Really Really good! Awesome future-retro industrial punk vibe.

Got anything else in the works? (I know your probably super busy w/ this awesome gear)

Thanx for the good words.
I have songs for an album but never had time to record them all.
I hope 2017 will have more days than 2016.
Gonna listen to them all again over breakfast right now... hehe... Rockin' Banana!


Cool! Would definitely buy once its out. (When I have extra cash its just so tempting to just to buy that chorus module! lol)
dubstephead
Also, listened to them all again. lol multiple times. Addicting and awesome music. thumbs up
brandonlogic
Quote:
SHAPER KIT2: 3PCBs + Front Panel 55EUR (out of stock)


will you ever be getting more in stock? if so when?
NiteEagle
brandonlogic wrote:
Quote:
SHAPER KIT2: 3PCBs + Front Panel 55EUR (out of stock)


will you ever be getting more in stock? if so when?


They are available from Modular Addict now.
sduck
Just got a full set of these, from Romania - and wow, they look fantastic! Tons better than the pictures indicate. Thanks!
fuzzbass
sduck wrote:
Just got a full set of these, from Romania - and wow, they look fantastic! Tons better than the pictures indicate. Thanks!


Wait until you hear it! Beware tho: 200ma on a good day. Shaper is a thirsty little thing.
strat-1
UPDATE : All the kits are in stock !

Finally I have all the parts and pcbs for the kits.
It's quite a challenge to gather and test all the parts for this project.
fluffymuff
Shaper kit 2 please! Looks awesome.
NiteEagle
strat-1 wrote:
UPDATE : All the kits are in stock !

Finally I have all the parts and pcbs for the kits.
It's quite a challenge to gathr and test all the parts for this project.


Darn, right after I buy the pcbs and panels from MA.

I've read the build docs and looked here and perhaps I've missed it. Are there detailed instructions on how to get the correct sine response from the FETs?
strat-1
NiteEagle wrote:


Darn, right after I buy the pcbs and panels from MA.

I've read the build docs and looked here and perhaps I've missed it. Are there detailed instructions on how to get the correct sine response from the FETs?


Yes. I explained as best as I could in the manual. The best way is to buy a big lot of fets and try them all.
You can find other replacements for the original 2N4339 fet, you can look at the fet datasheet and compare them with
other datasheets to find a fet with similar specifications.
cygmu
For what it's worth, people building the Buchla circuit look for a FET with IDSS between 0.8 and 1.1mA. Peake has a nice write-up here
http://ebolatone.blogspot.com/2011/03/vintage-parts-in-j3rks-258ish-cl one.html
Quote:

Buchla specified the sine shaper as requiring an idss from between .7 to 1.2, "preferably" .8 to 1.1. I find that .8 and up is just fine for this transistor.

which includes a description of how to test IDSS.

It's interesting that strat-1 has found that varying the resistors can help with this. I haven't seen that in the descriptions of Buchla builds.
coolshirtdotjpg
Wondering if it's possible to get the panel layout. I would interested in scraping the money together for this project if I could make an all-in-one aluminum panel.
strat-1
UPDATE : The FEEDBACK Store is online now :
www.feedbackmodules.com
Daisuk
Where are people buying the parts not in the kit? A friend made a Mouser cart, but all of it amounts to way more than an assembled module will cost, so I'm holding out a bit. hmmm.....

Looks like an amazing VCO, by the way. smile
strat-1
Daisuk wrote:
Where are people buying the parts not in the kit? A friend made a Mouser cart, but all of it amounts to way more than an assembled module will cost, so I'm holding out a bit. hmmm.....

Looks like an amazing VCO, by the way. smile


It's very curious, I'm usually buying the parts from Farnell or Mouser, for example THAT340. The prices should not be higher than the module cost, otherwise I will earn nothing smile
Try to buy resistors from local sellers.
One expensive part is the trimmers, try to find SR Passives ones instead of Bourns, they are at half of price.
The chips should be very cheap, they are common op amps (TL072) and standard logic chips. (cd4066, cd4030)
I can't tell you my providers, because I buy big quantities from local stores in Romania. Also I buy big quantities of WIMA caps and Nichicon caps from TME (provided in the BOM list), they have very good prices.
I hope this information is useful also for other builders.
Daisuk
strat-1 wrote:
Daisuk wrote:
Where are people buying the parts not in the kit? A friend made a Mouser cart, but all of it amounts to way more than an assembled module will cost, so I'm holding out a bit. hmmm.....

Looks like an amazing VCO, by the way. smile


It's very curious, I'm usually buying the parts from Farnell or Mouser, for example THAT340. The prices should not be higher than the module cost, otherwise I will earn nothing smile
Try to buy resistors from local sellers.
One expensive part is the trimmers, try to find SR Passives ones instead of Bourns, they are at half of price.
The chips should be very cheap, they are common op amps (TL072) and standard logic chips. (cd4066, cd4030)
I can't tell you my providers, because I buy big quantities from local stores in Romania. Also I buy big quantities of WIMA caps and Nichicon caps from TME (provided in the BOM list), they have very good prices.
I hope this information is useful also for other builders.


Hey! No worries. It was my mistake. I got the link for the mouser cart, added the project to the basket, and the total was just insane. But as it appears, I had a mouser cart from a few days back that was saved in my browser and was added to the TWO cart, so it got three times as expensive!

So my bad! Mr. Green lol
strat-1
I added two new pdfs in the shaper project. One pdf is an operation manual with visual explanation. The other pdf is a reference for the input signal connectors.
So if you want to buy only the shaper you should respect this voltages and waveforms.


satori
Anyone have a mouser cart for this?
geh2oman
No full cart here, but I highly recommend these LEDs!
GREEN and RED


brandonlogic
has anyone thought about doing a combo panel for this (2vco+shaper)? greyscale maybe?
brandonlogic
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:
Wondering if it's possible to get the panel layout. I would interested in scraping the money together for this project if I could make an all-in-one aluminum panel.

did you get anywhere with this project?
satori
Where can I find the BOM for this? Can't seem to find it anywhere
NiteEagle
The links to the build threads are in the first post of this thread.


Quote:
- This thread for details about availability and ordering. The main post of the project.
- the VCO thread including the building docs.
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=169991
- the SHAPER thread including the building docs.
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=169992


BOM file download links are at the bottom of the first post of each thread.
strat-1
I recorded a short demo to demonstrate the FM capabilities of TWO59 VCO.
I fed another type of VCO (system-X VCO) into the FM input of TWO59.
In recording you will hear in this order :
- sine output of TWO59 with saw as FM modulator,
- triangle output of TWO59 with triangle as FM modulator,
- square output (octave notes) with arp on FM modulator,
- saw output (octave notes) with arp on FM modulator.

[s]https://soundcloud.com/strat1/two59-fm-capabilities[/s]
maxsynth
Hi,

i do not find the BOMs for the sHaper and VCO, think i looked well below on the tread, however no succes

would be interested to buy 2 VCO and 1 shaper, what kits needs to be ordered for that ? all 3 kits per module?

Cheers,
strat-1
maxsynth wrote:
Hi,

i do not find the BOMs for the sHaper and VCO, think i looked well below on the tread, however no succes

would be interested to buy 2 VCO and 1 shaper, what kits needs to be ordered for that ? all 3 kits per module?

Cheers,


"The project is divided in three threads:

- This thread for details about availability and ordering. The main post of the project.
- the VCO thread including the building docs.
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=169991
- the SHAPER thread including the building docs.
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=169992"

You have to add 2xgreen leds 5mm and 2xred leds 5mm to the vco bom.
I'm working hard at 3 new projects...and I forgot to update the bom with these missing values.

You can find all the kits at my online shop :
www.feedbackmodules.com
CliffordMilk
A huge thanks to Strat-1 for all the help in getting my TWO59s up and running. I'm blown away by the sound of these things and by the very kind and generous support I received from Strat-1. Guinness ftw!

I can't wait to get stuck into my new to row smile

jimi23
CliffordMilk wrote:
A huge thanks to Strat-1 for all the help in getting my TWO59s up and running. I'm blown away by the sound of these things and by the very kind and generous support I received from Strat-1. Guinness ftw!

I can't wait to get stuck into my new to row smile



Very nice row! I finished my 2x VCO's this morning before work. Initial test sounded great!! Haven't started the shaper. I did also finish my R*S Serge Wave Multiplier today too, so had them all patched together. Great timbres with just the 3, I'm very excited to get the shaper built!!
Hansi026
Hi everbody,

maybe there is an issue with the waveshaper.
Sometimes the modulation oscillator doesn't works if the square wave is selected on the waveshaper.
It only occurs when the mod index, the timbre are fully cw and the all modulations switches are on, and both oscillators are set at a high frequency.

Especially when the phase lock switch is on !

If you then wiggle at the mod index and/or the modulation oscillator frequency, disappears the sound at the four modulation oscillator outputs, and the waveshaper does not work properly anymore.

then if you switch the waveshaper to trinagel or sawtooth back and forth, the modulation oscillator works again and the waveshaper as well.


Someone else noticed this behavior as well ?
TheSlowGrowth
Yes, I noticed this behaviour as well. Happens only very rarely, so I didn't care. It seemed to me like the modulation oscillators integrator stopped working for some reason.
Hansi026
TheSlowGrowth wrote:
Yes, I noticed this behaviour as well. Happens only very rarely, so I didn't care. It seemed to me like the modulation oscillators integrator stopped working for some reason.


I'm glad I'm not the only one.

And if it would only happens sometimes ..... once a day or something like that , but current at every second or third waveshaper move form sawtooth to squarewave, then the sound at the mod. oscillator drops out.

Totally annoying.


How to fix it ?
strat-1
Hansi026 wrote:
Hi everbody,

maybe there is an issue with the waveshaper.
Sometimes the modulation oscillator doesn't works if the square wave is selected on the waveshaper.
It only occurs when the mod index, the timbre are fully cw and the all modulations switches are on, and both oscillators are set at a high frequency.

Especially when the phase lock switch is on !

If you then wiggle at the mod index and/or the modulation oscillator frequency, disappears the sound at the four modulation oscillator outputs, and the waveshaper does not work properly anymore.

then if you switch the waveshaper to trinagel or sawtooth back and forth, the modulation oscillator works again and the waveshaper as well.


Someone else noticed this behavior as well ?


I am out of already built shaper modules. I Jut started to build two of them and I will study the problem.
Hansi026
strat-1 wrote:
Hansi026 wrote:
Hi everbody,

maybe there is an issue with the waveshaper.
Sometimes the modulation oscillator doesn't works if the square wave is selected on the waveshaper.
It only occurs when the mod index, the timbre are fully cw and the all modulations switches are on, and both oscillators are set at a high frequency.

Especially when the phase lock switch is on !

If you then wiggle at the mod index and/or the modulation oscillator frequency, disappears the sound at the four modulation oscillator outputs, and the waveshaper does not work properly anymore.

then if you switch the waveshaper to trinagel or sawtooth back and forth, the modulation oscillator works again and the waveshaper as well.


Someone else noticed this behavior as well ?


I am out of already built shaper modules. I Jut started to build two of them and I will study the problem.


thumbs up
jimi23
I'm building the Shaper at the moment. I thought 1/2W resistors were needed in the module, and ordered most of the parts using the mouser codes in the excel BOM in the build docs zip. Some of them are 1/4W resistors though.

Is it ok to use 1/4W for these values that they are given in the excel BOM, or is it an error? Just being cautious
strat-1
jimi23 wrote:
I'm building the Shaper at the moment. I thought 1/2W resistors were needed in the module, and ordered most of the parts using the mouser codes in the excel BOM in the build docs zip. Some of them are 1/4W resistors though.

Is it ok to use 1/4W for these values that they are given in the excel BOM, or is it an error? Just being cautious


It's ok. It's better to exceeds the power limit than have problems. In this circuit you don't have resitors in the power filtering circuit, they are replaced by ferrites, so the other resitors can be lower than 500-600mw.
jimi23
strat-1 wrote:
jimi23 wrote:
I'm building the Shaper at the moment. I thought 1/2W resistors were needed in the module, and ordered most of the parts using the mouser codes in the excel BOM in the build docs zip. Some of them are 1/4W resistors though.

Is it ok to use 1/4W for these values that they are given in the excel BOM, or is it an error? Just being cautious


It's ok. It's better to exceeds the power limit than have problems. In this circuit you don't have resitors in the power filtering circuit, they are replaced by ferrites, so the other resitors can be lower than 500-600mw.


That's what I thought, thanks!


Job done, works first go!! With the symmetry LED, should it only begin lighting up halfway? I guess halfway is its 'neutral' position. Just need to keep tweaking the FET trimmers to taste tonight after work, as it is now with order CCW Timbre has no effect until ~50%, but with order up Timbre starts folding much earlier

Sounding really nice with modulation!
strat-1
jimi23 wrote:


Job done, works first go!! With the symmetry LED, should it only begin lighting up halfway? I guess halfway is its 'neutral' position. Just need to keep tweaking the FET trimmers to taste tonight after work, as it is now with order CCW Timbre has no effect until ~50%, but with order up Timbre starts folding much earlier

Sounding really nice with modulation!


The led begins to lit only halfway because of the VTL, try changing the VTLs between them until you find the right spot for each. Some VTLs will not work at all. I buy 4 VTLs more than I need for each shaper and throw away those who don't fit to the characteristics.
And yes you have to trimm the fet bias to achieve effect on all the pot range.
jimi23
Ok I'll start swapping them about!
I will report that I'm getting the same behaviour as others, the modulation osc disappears when set to square sometimes, reappearing when changing shape
rithma
Quote:
I buy 4 VTLs more than I need for each shaper and throw away those who don't fit to the characteristics.


Thats like somebody saying "I throw away $20 bills"

or maybe you have a cheaper source for Vactrols?

theres a lot of them in this build...
secrethero303
Just finished this build tonight. I can't believe how great it sounds. I can see why people have trouble pulling it back out to calibrate after testing. smile

Everything went together easily and both VCO's worked right away. The only issue I had was with a dead CD4001B in the Shaper, which took a bit of time to troubleshoot. Thankfully, schematics and board images in the documentation helped me sort things out.

Thanks for the great module strat-1
Hansi026
jimi23 wrote:
Ok I'll start swapping them about!
I will report that I'm getting the same behaviour as others, the modulation osc disappears when set to square sometimes, reappearing when changing shape


I thought it had to do with some extreme settings (mod index - timbre, both fully cw).
But in my case, the phase lock (switched on) plays a big role.
aero
Hello, what's the tracking like on the VCO?

many thanks
strat-1
aero wrote:
Hello, what's the tracking like on the VCO?

many thanks


I did my best to obtain 4-5oct. It's not perfect tracking because of the design, you build this for the sound, especially FM modulation.

TheSlowGrowth did a great job making this capture :



My original 259 only works well for 2 octaves.
StudentsOfTheFuture
whoops, wrong thread!
jschussler
strat-1
Any plans to sell the shaper as a built module? I find the kit a bit intimidating.
strat-1
bvog
I am currently filling a cart at feedbackmodules.com, but I fear to build The Shaper is beyond my capabilities, though I'd like to get better at this, there is a certain lack of time.

I think I'll PM you with an inquiry about a built Shaper.
jschussler
I'm not even seeing a kit for Shaper on your site any more. Is it gone away?
secrethero303
jschussler wrote:
I'm not even seeing a kit for Shaper on your site any more. Is it gone away?


You need to go to the “Catalog” page to find everything. It just isn’t on the home page anymore. https://www.feedbackmodules.com/collections/all?page=3
jschussler
Ah. Got it, thx.

Sure wish these were available built. Not sure I'm up to that complex a build.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 5
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group