MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Elektron
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Elektron
Muff Wiggler
I dunno about you, but i've been insane lusting for Machinedrum and Monomachine for FAR TOO LONG NOW

Got to play with them at Mike Weeks' place last year and they are just so very very nice

some of the only non-modular hardware that really appeals to me these days.
The Alison Project
A drum machine will be my next purchase, I want to stay as analog as possible so I have it down to the Vermona DRM1 MKII with trigger options and the Jomox Xbase09 SE (the Xbase999 is out of my price range).

The Vermona is great cause I can trigger it with my synth, but as of right now I am leaning more towards the Jomox just so I can save patterns etc, and maybe add the Xrom http://beam.to/xrom

Decisions, decisions...

Midi isnt a big deal for me as the only midi I am currently using is the midi-to-cv converter for my modular.
Muff Wiggler
i agree with you on the analog thing.... i've got two problems with that though...

1) i've played with Jomox drum machines and I just don't like them. I may be in the minority but they don't sound that great to me

2) there's not a lot of other options, short of an analog solutions concussor system (which would be nice) and super sequencer setup, costly costly costly

3) i'm just totally in love with the machinedrum and all the editing options and ease of use. you should try one if you get the chance.. so much more powerful than jomox (can't even compare them.....) a fair bit cheaper, and loads of fun to work with. The UW one lets you load in your own samples so you can make a nice bass on your modular and load it into machinedrum. sweetness
The Alison Project
you werent saying the machinedrum was cheaper were you, cause the xbase09se is $400 cheaper than the machinedrum and $800 cheaper than the user wave version... im not willing to spend over a grand on a drum machine.

anyways think my mind is made up, ive been chatting it up with a few users whose opinions I trust and Ive heard nothing but great reviews about it..... all the samples sound good as well.. love all those pots, great for live play...

i agree the machinedrum looks/sounds great.... but just nto my thing.
Muff Wiggler
ahh...i didn't realize the SE was that nicely priced...

that pretty much changes everything 8)
The Alison Project
the SE verion just adds hihat samples from what I understand, the regular version is $695. its the Xbase999 which is the expensive one
Muff Wiggler
hey you are the one person who probably SHOULD look at building a big concussor type setup.... fuck that would be awesome man
Chuck E. Jesus
a little late to the game i suppose....

i've got a fucked up 808...this has nothing to do with anything, but i got into programming beats in real time with it and "jamming"...later on i got got one of those Korg ER-1 drum machines (which seem to be going pretty cheap now a days), and it's lots of fun and doesn't sound too bad with the real time knobs and cool functions...later on after that i built a pc and finally bought Tracktion 2 as a daw/vst host...it lacks some of the midi bits some of the other daws have, but there are T2-centric plugins that work well for midi routing/channelizing/etc...i got some interesting results mapping notes from the ER-1 to other sound sorces, namely the Doepfer for kick, a sample for snare, etc....seems like it's a good way to get the effect of using that machinedrum as far as the programming, but utilizing the gear one already has...i assume most modern daw's provide the routing flex needed, and it's easy to use the Korg to call up patterns and edit on the fly, and of course use the onboard sound engine as well...
Muff Wiggler
good post Ross, cheers

i've been thinking of buying one of those electribe machines, just for the reason you mention - they are so damn cheap nowadays. at least to tide me over 'till i can get a MachineDrum, probably next year

i can get some amazing percussion sounds out of my blacet, and using the I/O module I can actually trigger superfast envelopes by hitting my eDrum pads, which is great, but I can only have 2 at a time :(

i'm not even bothering with software, i don't want to wait for my PC to boot while I'm patching my synth, i only use software for recording and mastering plugins these days...
Chuck E. Jesus
hey MW, how many channels is that midi>cv box you got support? i have an old Roland MPU 101, it has four at any given time in mono (so i could route to four discreet sounds given the patching)....i can't recall how many notes the ER-1 puts out, it's 7 or 8 i think...it's packed up as is most of my stuff ...my studio is going to be down for a lot longer than i planned cry oops cry you got work, i got 2 kids and a house ready to fall down...hopefully this xmas break is going to work out well for me though 8)
Muff Wiggler
oh man, i got the two kids and the crumbling house, believe me...

i have two midi-cv converters, the FR Mobius can handle one channel, and the Kenton Pro Solo can handle a single channel. that's it. Does the ER unit use a seperate midi channel for each output? that sounds crazy...

i would only actually be syncing it to an analog clock (something the Mobius is great for) and just running patterns out of the drum machine through my mixer, as I play with the synth, so no need to get the two talking to each other, as long as they follow the same clock I'll be fine
Chuck E. Jesus
Muff Wiggler wrote:

i'm not even bothering with software, i don't want to wait for my PC to boot while I'm patching my synth, i only use software for recording and mastering plugins these days...

well, all of the tracks i've done are still on DAT and 1/4" tape...i've pretty much just figured out how to work the basics, downloaded a shitload of vst's, and decided it ain't quite my bag...i like the Korg Legacy stuff, and Kubick is pretty cool too...but other than that i'm just sticking to "real instruments" (i wonder how well that statement would go over on KVR lol ) honestly, i've mostly been working on getting my guitar chops back and singing, i want to do pop songs and rock songs, or not, i like pop songs by Can, Eno, and Kraftwerk...i don't think one has to be the best musician in the world, but not sucking is a pretty damn good thing indeed...

here's to not sucking in '07 (where's a 'thumbs up' when you need one?)
Muff Wiggler
i do all i can to ensure that i don't suck but sometimes it's just impossible
Chuck E. Jesus
Muff Wiggler wrote:
oh man, i got the two kids and the crumbling house, believe me...
yeah, well maybe i'll stop being a total bitch someday, but for now, blah blah blah...

Quote:
i have two midi-cv converters, the FR Mobius can handle one channel, and the Kenton Pro Solo can handle a single channel. that's it. Does the ER unit use a seperate midi channel for each output? that sounds crazy...

no, i used midi note outs and the channelizing midi plugins with T2, you can send X note to one midiout, Y to another, etc...my MPU 101 has four sets of outs (note cv/gate/velocity per set )..let's see, the Korg has 4 internal voices, open&closed hats, 2 external inputs, and accent, so i think that's 9 note outs, but they are only note ons, not with full midi (i think)...in other words, the accent is treated like another programmable note pattern, not unlike an 808...but if sent out it's just another midi note out...the fun is when you play a pattern you can bring up the different "voices" and input to the pattern on the fly, and switch to a different "voice", adjust that one, call up a different pattern, etc...it's very easy, very user friendly...think of it as a grid with either 16 or 32 beats, you just can't click on it all at once, just one line at a time..there are probably software versions that do the same or better, but there is something to the tactile feel (plus, again, the onboard synth engine which sounds pretty damn good)

Muff Wiggler wrote:

i would only actually be syncing it to an analog clock (something the Mobius is great for) and just running patterns out of the drum machine through my mixer, as I play with the synth, so no need to get the two talking to each other, as long as they follow the same clock I'll be fine

when you say clock, you mean midi clock, right? solida said the Mobius only syncs to midi, not audio/analog clock, but i have no idea...you may know more about it ...i think the modern gear is way better than the crap i used to use, the folks at Analogue Heaven rave about the timing of the Mobius vs. most any midi daw program...

as an aside, it would be cool to see your bit over here end up as a cool place to discuss actual synth/recording techniques without the propaganda that KVR or Analogue Heaven have built in, but still synth-based...
Chuck E. Jesus
Muff Wiggler wrote:
i do all i can to ensure that i don't suck but sometimes it's just impossible

i hear you brother...
Muff Wiggler
the Mobius rocks on all fronts in terms of interfacing ANY kind of CV gear with midi gear.

It simultaneously outputs hz/V and v/Oct on dedicated jacks. It syncs to midi clock OR DIN-sync, and will output an analog clock pulse that slaves to the incoming midi clock, so your analog gear stays in sync. it can send the sync clock on a DIN-Sync jack as well as the analog outputs

only downsides are that it can only midi-to-cv convert one channel at at time, and also if you want to use it as a sequencer you cannot use it as a midi-cv converter at the same time

for the price however it is absolute WUNDERBOXEN 8)
Chuck E. Jesus
Muff Wiggler wrote:
the Mobius rocks on all fronts in terms of interfacing ANY kind of CV gear with midi gear.

It simultaneously outputs hz/V and v/Oct on dedicated jacks. It syncs to midi clock OR DIN-sync, and will output an analog clock pulse that slaves to the incoming midi clock, so your analog gear stays in sync. it can send the sync clock on a DIN-Sync jack as well as the analog outputs

only downsides are that it can only midi-to-cv convert one channel at at time, and also if you want to use it as a sequencer you cannot use it as a midi-cv converter at the same time

i am not in the position to buy ANY MORE GEAR but it looks good...i have three pro ones, but i stupidly removed (permanently) the keyboards on two of them...the remaining full one needs a new power switch, i ain't fired it up in years (actually it was given to me)...but when i was thinking about the mobius from AH and Solida mentions, i realize i can use the sequencer in the Pro One for longer note sequences and use the Doepfer 155 todo other things..

this is where the beauty of an open ended patchable synth shows it's colrs...one could take the voltage out of the Pro One, run that into a cv mixer/VCA and apply whatever from whatever one sees fit...i'm not even sure what i can do to be honest! i've never had access to this kind of stuf.......

2007, baby....
Chuck E. Jesus
Muff Wiggler wrote:
i agree with you on the analog thing.... i've got two problems with that though...

1) i've played with Jomox drum machines and I just don't like them. I may be in the minority but they don't sound that great to me

2) there's not a lot of other options, short of an analog solutions concussor system (which would be nice) and super sequencer setup, costly costly costly

3) i'm just totally in love with the machinedrum and all the editing options and ease of use. you should try one if you get the chance.. so much more powerful than jomox (can't even compare them.....) a fair bit cheaper, and loads of fun to work with. The UW one lets you load in your own samples so you can make a nice bass on your modular and load it into machinedrum. sweetness

so is that three problems or two problems and one random comment?
Muff Wiggler
ross g wrote:
Muff Wiggler wrote:

so is that three problems or two problems and one random comment?

haha it's the latter wink
Chuck E. Jesus
Muff Wiggler wrote:

i remember the whole "real music" comment i made, i was only refering to being able to track in chromatic fashion to midi, and as the Meta stuff is not v/oct, i have no way of tracking any of that gear properly...when i saw you had the Mobius and what it does, then i got it, and i understood what you thought was an odd comment by me was just lack of my communication skills....

edit: i like that: WUNDERBOXEN!
Muff Wiggler
'lack of communication and understanding' is the biggest problem facing on-line interactions

i swear half the time someone (myself included) takes offense at a comment, if the people were face-to-face there wouldn't be an issue because body language and tone would indicate that it wasn't serious, or aggressive etc etc

we always take each other too seriously on-line!!

indeed though, you can easily use the Metasonix VCO's with tuned, chromatic work 8)
Muff Wiggler
i'll probably get a second Mobius in the new year, so i can dedicate one to conversion and one to sequencing

truth is i don't use the Mobius for conversion that much since i got my Kenton Pro-Solo, so this isn't as important, however the Pro-Solo can only do v/Oct OR hz/V, not both at the same time. So if I want to track my Metasonix VCO along with my Blacet VCO's, i HAVE to use the Mobius. So there is some ackwardness to using the Metasonix VCO, but it isn't that bad.

I'm going to buy the MOTM 4-channel MIDI-to-CV converter when it comes out for fracrack next year - for one it will give my system 'true' 4-voice polyphony, and for two, it can drive the v/Oct and the hz/V VCO's at the same time, so it can free up my Mobius for sequencing.

I'm also getting a custom analog sequencer in the new year, which should also alleviate these problems

hmm maybe i won't end up with a second Mobius afterall! we'll see wink

oh yeah, i originally got the Mobius before I had any modular gear, I bought it to sequence my rackmount MAM MB33 Mk.II (1U 303 clone with no sequencer). I have to say that the Mobius absolutely ROCKS for doing 303-style patterns as well.
endmusik
Just buy a Monomachine - you know you want to grin

I still use mine more than any other synth in the studio.... even if it's only as a midi sequencer. I love it!
Muff Wiggler
arrgh so much to buy

i totally agree cry

but it'll be machinedrum soon

i have SO MUCH cash sunk into gear right now it's insane

i just have a monomachine (keyboard edition) worth of money sent over to Wiard to stock up on 1200 series modules before they go permantly out of stock

and now he's resurrecting the 300 series

argh i'll never have money again!!

great to see you here Mike 8)
endmusik
I know the feeling... I have a bit of a list for the year, assuming I can pull it off:

1. Electrical Guitar standard (aluminum neck through dealy)

and/or a CIJ/MIA Jaguar reissue, depends on once I have the money together what seems like a better idea. If I find a jaguar I love I'll probably go that route, though another Electrical is mandatory at this point (I have a baritone right now)

2. eurorack system (eek... that's a can of worms!)

3. if elektron releases anything new... well, I'll be forced to buy it wink

Of course my coolest aquisition for the year has yet to be built.... something uber top secret but not too crazy from metasonix. All I can say is it involves Alchemy, and a Box.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3