MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index

FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Which standalone glitchy video synth?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Author Which standalone glitchy video synth?

MrNovember

A bit of a noob post, but I am ready to pull the trigger on a video synth and am looking for suggestions.

I'm flipping back and forth between the Tachyons+ Vortex Decoder, Opti-Glitch, and BPMC Premium Cable. Or possibly a Gieskes 3TrinsRGB+1c if I can find a built one somewhere.

For now, I'll just be plugging straight into a little Toshiba CRT TV and am planning on using my N64 or computer as an input source. I'm really just looking for something to glitch, distort, and generally mess with the input signal.

I have heard from a member on another forum that the Opti Glitch may be a little more finicky and difficult to use compared to the Vortex Decoder, but I haven't seen many comments regarding the Premium Cable.

So any experiences with these devices? Suggestions on these (or others)?

evolve

Those are mostly effects boxes, the 3trins is really the "video synth" of the bunch as it actually creates it's own video signals rather than modifying a signal sent through it. So, the 3trins is very different.

Sounds like you are seeking an FX box. You really can't go wrong with any of those, all fun ways to get into. I doubt you will have any difficulty getting a hang of it on a CRT, they are all pretty simple.

Now capturing the video on the other hand is a whole other story...

noisejockey

I just got a Tachyons+ Psychenizer (used, here on MW), and it's good fun. Not on your list but impressed with the conversations I've had with Tachyons+ so far. Supportive and encouraging. FWIW.

HeWhoWantsJeans

If you're looking for weird effects boxes, I would strongly suggest the works of Big Pauper Modified Circuits.

The BPMC Basic Cable is incredible and blows anything else like it out of the water. It's gorgeous.

mr.sibs

HeWhoWantsJeans wrote:
If you're looking for weird effects boxes, I would strongly suggest the works of Big Pauper Modified Circuits.

The BPMC Basic Cable is incredible and blows anything else like it out of the water. It's gorgeous.

never seen this, looks great!

MrNovember

noisejockey wrote:
Not on your list but impressed with the conversations I've had with Tachyons+ so far. Supportive and encouraging.

I've emailed him a couple times as well. He is very helpful and supportive. I think the Psychenizer might be a bit out of my budget right now though.

mr.sibs wrote:
HeWhoWantsJeans wrote:

Yeah, his Premium Cable is on my list. Not sure if I missed it on his site, but it doesn't appear that the Basic Cable is still offered.

Also, clearly a noob considering I didn't realize the difference between video synths and video FX d'oh! Oh well, we all start somewhere. But yes I am more interested with weird, glitchy FX boxes to start; maybe I'll expand to actual video synths in the future.

HeWhoWantsJeans

MrNovember wrote:
noisejockey wrote:
Not on your list but impressed with the conversations I've had with Tachyons+ so far. Supportive and encouraging.

I've emailed him a couple times as well. He is very helpful and supportive. I think the Psychenizer might be a bit out of my budget right now though.

mr.sibs wrote:
HeWhoWantsJeans wrote:

Yeah, his Premium Cable is on my list. Not sure if I missed it on his site, but it doesn't appear that the Basic Cable is still offered.

Also, clearly a noob considering I didn't realize the difference between video synths and video FX d'oh! Oh well, we all start somewhere. But yes I am more interested with weird, glitchy FX boxes to start; maybe I'll expand to actual video synths in the future.

The Basic and Premium are still in production:
http://glitchart.com/product-category/glitch-video/

I've put my hands on some T+ gear but I prefer the Basic Cable by a country mile. It's very well assembled, it feels very responsive and it produces some incredible washes of color that I haven't seen other gear produce as easily.

We considered buying a Premium Cable alongside our Basic because we love it so damn much.

MrNovember

HeWhoWantsJeans wrote:
MrNovember wrote:
noisejockey wrote:

mr.sibs wrote:
HeWhoWantsJeans wrote:

The Basic and Premium are still in production:
http://glitchart.com/product-category/glitch-video/

I've put my hands on some T+ gear but I prefer the Basic Cable by a country mile. It's very well assembled, it feels very responsive and it produces some incredible washes of color that I haven't seen other gear produce as easily.

We considered buying a Premium Cable alongside our Basic because we love it so damn much.

Thanks for that link. Not sure how you got there, but I hadn't seen it. Unfortunately, under the Basic Cable:
Quote:
Description Additional Information
NOTE: I have just about exhausted the world’s supply of Basic Cable circuits. Due to this fact the Basic Cable is very limited and often sold out.

I am definitely pushing the Premium Cable up on my list though. Big Pauper seems very well regarded and the Premium Cable does look to be really well built. I do really like the DIY/bent feel that Tachyons+ seems to have, though.

HeWhoWantsJeans

MrNovember wrote:

I am definitely pushing the Premium Cable up on my list though. Big Pauper seems very well regarded and the Premium Cable does look to be really well built. I do really like the DIY/bent feel that Tachyons+ seems to have, though.

As someone who used to do a bit of circuit bending, our first exposure to bent video equipment was with T+ equipment. It's interesting but I felt the results were limited. It kind of made everything feel like a bent, pushed-always-to-11 glitch fiesta.

But when we got a 2nd hand Basic Cable, it was a huge improvement. The unit is far more playable and you can really dial in some results from washes of color to crazy line-tracing bullshit.

MrNovember

HeWhoWantsJeans wrote:
MrNovember wrote:

As someone who used to do a bit of circuit bending, our first exposure to bent video equipment was with T+ equipment. It's interesting but I felt the results were limited. It kind of made everything feel like a bent, pushed-always-to-11 glitch fiesta.

But when we got a 2nd hand Basic Cable, it was a huge improvement. The unit is far more playable and you can really dial in some results from washes of color to crazy line-tracing bullshit.

This is the exact kind of feedback I was looking for; thank you! Looks like I'll probably pull the trigger on the Premium Cable.

Not going to completely discount T+; always-to-11 glitch fiesta does sound pretty awesome, but doesn't exactly sound like an ideal place to start. It'll likely fit in better down the road once I have expanded a little bit

HeWhoWantsJeans

MrNovember wrote:

This is the exact kind of feedback I was looking for; thank you! Looks like I'll probably pull the trigger on the Premium Cable.

Not going to completely discount T+; always-to-11 glitch fiesta does sound pretty awesome, but doesn't exactly sound like an ideal place to start. It'll likely fit in better down the road once I have expanded a little bit

I think you'll really like the unit. This is iamadot on her LZX system with a Basic Cable.
https://vimeo.com/188473584

evolve

HeWhoWantsJeans wrote:

I wonder how long ago you used T+ equipment, and what equipment you used. I was using a psychenizer last night and I got exactly what you are talking about, washes of color to crazy line-tracing. They are similar devices with a different philosophy. Both very talented glitch dudes. What I love is both of these designers are continuing to refine their circuits, and create new devices out of blueprints of ancient lost analog circuitry.

HeWhoWantsJeans

evolve wrote:
HeWhoWantsJeans wrote:

I wonder how long ago you used T+ equipment, and what equipment you used. I was using a psychenizer last night and I got exactly what you are talking about, washes of color to crazy line-tracing. They are similar devices with a different philosophy. Both very talented glitch dudes. What I love is both of these designers are continuing to refine their circuits, and create new devices out of blueprints of ancient lost analog circuitry.

It wasn't terribly long ago. Most of the units I used were done with single position switches, not knobs. That tended to go straight 11 and I didn't find it terribly useful.

Perhaps his designs with knobs are more tunable (as they aught to be, with knobs instead of strict on-off functions) but I think we're going deep on Big Pauper for a bit, since we were so satisfied with the BPMC.

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Page 1 of 1