MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

'CV Generator' iPhone app now available on the App Store
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Author 'CV Generator' iPhone app now available on the App Store
os
http://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/cvgenerator.html

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=3725 67071&mt=8

Quote:
CV Generator is an iPhone app that generates audio signals which may be used in conjunction with suitable hardware to control analogue synthesisers via Control Voltages (CVs).
The app uses the same technique as the Silent Way AC Encoder plug-in. You therefore need hardware such as that described on the AC Encoder page to turn the iPhone's audio output into CVs.

It is recommended to use an iPhone dock's line out rather than the iPhone's own headphone output, in order to get a stronger signal to begin with. Even then, the dock's output is quite low compared to, say, a proper computer audio interface, so you will almost certainly need an active circuit with reasonable gain to get a usable CV range.

CV Generator can generate two CVs, from the left and right channels of the iPhone's stereo output. The current version of the app has two modes for controlling the CVs: an XY controller for controlling both CVs from a single touch, and a pair of sliders for controlling the CVs independently.

mono-poly
You really should offer a ready made hardware solution for the iphone app.
And also something to avoid using the iphone dock.
And i love to see more interaces for it like reacting on the phone's movement.
And what about a wind controler trough the mic?

I think this is really gonna be awesome but an option for buying a standalone hardware interface with it is a must have.
Just like not using the iphone's dock.

It's peanut butter jelly time!
bleeps
Whoa... iChoices. Well not quite, but awesome!
goiks
nice!
boothnavy
has anyone come up with a simple yet effective dock connector cable with 1/8" or 1/4" plugs attached? that seems like it would be the best solution for this...
mono-poly
yeah without a decent hardware unit for this app it is kinda useless imo.
Love to buy a hardware unit for it.
jiblite
maybe im doing it wrong, but
if i just stick a stereo minijack into the headphone socket, that splits into dual mono minijacks, i can then use those to control anything on my modular - eg osc freq, filter cutoff etc.

it just works eek! output from iphone is low, so the range isn't huge, but im guessing if i amplify the iphone output then "hello range" occurs.

for the price of the app, this is just pure bargain goodness and i really hope you continue development and add lots of other features

1 - bloom/tenori esque sequencer
2 - basic cv blocks - lfo etc
lots of others of course

cheers / ben
os
Well that's unexpected! Which model of iPhone are you using?
mono-poly
I tried it by direct plugging it into my ems synthi and it worked.
CV range could be a bit better but it's pretty good already.
jiblite
3g
and the cable is nothing fancy, apart from I had VDC trading make it for me

Stereo Female MiniJack socket to 2 Male Mono MiniJack Plugs - cable
length 20cm ***

and i use a

1 metre stereo mini jack to stereo mini jack cable

with it to make it male to male of course

*** is one of the most useful cables i have
great for making a mono output (together with a stackcable) into a dual mono output - for heaphones etc without just having it all through my left ear, also for inserting stereo from iphone, ipod etc into modular and also for taking a feed out of the mixer to do simple recording to an Olympus LS10 - worth ten times its weight in gold - and now it seems for using my iphone for fun cv control!

nice one / ben
jiblite
probably should be on a different thread, but is there a simple eurorack amplifier available? with say a scale of x5 or x10?

cheers / ben
os
http://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/es1.html

?
jiblite
nice - but probably more suited (for me at least) to a full on silent way rig, with 8 outs?
if i just needed two channels of amplification - maybe even fixed or with a simple x2 and x5 switch on it, id hope there was something like the intellijel 2u modules - small, narrow, cheap, simple, but powerful.
sees gap in market, leaves door open .... and waits

cheers / ben
mono-poly

Rockin' Banana!
mono-poly

Soapbox
Reptil
dikke poep applause w00t ambulance
skweeegor
I recently made a cable to use with silent way AC. I decided to give it a go with the iPhone app after I tested with my audio interface (everything worked), and I got something but with a very limited range, which I assume is due to the iPhone's weak output.

I had a CMOY headphone amp lying around I never use, so I used that to boost the iPhone out and then patched out from there to the modular and I got a much more useable range (up to about 8-9V!)

Just wondering if there's anything unsafe about doing it this way since this isn't really the headphone amp's intended purpose.
os
Sounds safe enough. You're using the headphone amp to amplify the output of a headphone jack.
ersatzplanet
Ok - I know it has been awhile since this topic was active, but I have looked around and cannot find a wiring diagram that shows how to make the cable for stereo - two channel use - for the outputs of the iPhone. The only schematic I see is for using a balanced out from the tip and ring lines to make one mono output. What circuit are the people using in these videos using to generate TWO channels of CV from the stereo out of the iPhone? Links?

I have made a prototype iPhone module for myself and would love to change it to be switchable between audio and CV usage.
-James
seychmar
The Doepfer A-183-3 gives you 1 channel of up to 4x amplification. Quite cheap too.

jiblite wrote:
nice - but probably more suited (for me at least) to a full on silent way rig, with 8 outs?
if i just needed two channels of amplification - maybe even fixed or with a simple x2 and x5 switch on it, id hope there was something like the intellijel 2u modules - small, narrow, cheap, simple, but powerful.
sees gap in market, leaves door open .... and waits

cheers / ben
os
ersatzplanet wrote:
What circuit are the people using in these videos using to generate TWO channels of CV from the stereo out of the iPhone?

You'd basically use two of these:

On the left side, where it says 'ring' use the shield on the iPhone stereo jack. Where it says 'tip' use the tip for one channel and ring for the other.
lessavyfav
Is sounds like jiblite just used a stereo to 2 mono splitter without the magic DC offset business- that sounds good to me. I'm not ready to get a full out ES module but I think the Frankenstein wires are too sloppy. What are the risks of not using the modded cables?
os
That it simply won't work smile
lessavyfav
[quote="jiblite"]3g
and the cable is nothing fancy, apart from I had VDC trading make it for me

Stereo Female MiniJack socket to 2 Male Mono MiniJack Plugs - cable
length 20cm ***

and i use a

1 metre stereo mini jack to stereo mini jack cable

with it to make it male to male of course
/ ben[/quote]

So maybe I read this wrong. jiblite- your cable had the DC offset circuit in it. It reads like it doesn't. I guess it must based on the Expert Sleeper...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Page 1 of 1