MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Starthief's Eurorack adventure, 2016-???
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 [all]
Author Starthief's Eurorack adventure, 2016-???
SavageMessiah
Heh, should have gotten planar instead of cold mac. Of my performance control type modules, that's the one that gets the most use by far. I really like my tetrapad too, and the expander that's coming out Real Soon Now will transform it.
starthief
I do like Cold Mac as a utility. Its ability to cross-pan has been really cool, among other things.

I'm sure I'd like Planar for other purposes, but I'm pretty sure the Touche is going to be perfect for the Lyra, and for playing LPGs manually etc.

I experimented tonight with trying to sequence the Lyra-8. That was like trying to carve wood with a wad of cooked spaghetti.

Every one of the 8 oscillators has its own unique, non-linear, non-exponential response curve that doubles back on itself wherever it feels like it, giving an approximate 3 to 8 semitones of what I'll generously call "tracking" over an 8 volt range, with singularities that send it off into fart noises or clicky LFO range.

If I just want to modulate it to apply some vibrato, that's a lot more reasonable (and works really nicely on the delay). It's definitely meant to be played rather than sequenced hihi

And now I'm kind of wondering about making some patch cables with alligator clip ends for the touch plates, and sequencing notes that way with a Matrixarchate or something...
SavageMessiah
I'd never heard of the Lyra-8 before you brought it up and now I want one, it sounds amazing. I'm not going to shell out that kind of cash on non-modular stuff though. I like having everything together.

Also, certainly not knocking Cold Mac. I've got one of those too!
EATyourGUITAR
starthief wrote:
Album's released!

[bandcamp width=100% height=120 album=2047322437 size=large bgcol=ffffff linkcol=0687f5 tracklist=false artwork=small]

I loved every minute of this. you have that style that I dig. very well done. I love that it is almost a drone album but it has more verb and feedback stuff without ever sounding like it doesn't fit together. a lot of stuff feels like it was performed live by a person even deep in the drone ambient generative parts. never boring and never cliche.
starthief
EATyourGUITAR wrote:
I loved every minute of this. you have that style that I dig. very well done. I love that it is almost a drone album but it has more verb and feedback stuff without ever sounding like it doesn't fit together. a lot of stuff feels like it was performed live by a person even deep in the drone ambient generative parts. never boring and never cliche.

Thanks! Always great to get feedback and I'm glad you enjoyed it smile

I guess I should have mentioned, the next one is out too:

[bandcamp width=100% height=120 album=2748630964 size=large bgcol=333333 linkcol=0f91ff tracklist=false artwork=small]
starthief
Adventure Audio Skin:

I picked it up on a whim. It's 2HP and cheap, and I'm letting go of my Bastl Dynamo so I've got room for a couple of toys.

I still think the jacks should have been at one end and the touchplates at the other, but it's usable.

My first test was a Maths cycling envelope into the FM input of Hertz Donut mk3... I got nothing at first. Pressed a little more and I got some faint modulation. Licked my fingers and WHOAH NELLY it came through hihi

(I have dry skin and I just furiously scrubbed my hands after cleaning up a nasty mess left by the dogs when I got home from work, so that probably doesn't help matters.)

Patch an offset from Shades into it and it'll trigger gates, LPGs etc.

Another way to use it is to plug something into a jack, and then tap the tip of another patch cable to the touchplate, Teleplexer style.

It's not a life-changing module but I think it'll be pretty fun from time to time smile

Expressive-E Touché SE

I have no regrets about getting the USB-only SE version. ES-3 + Bitwig modulators + Grid = happy CV. Great for opening VCAs/LPGs (or pinging them or triggering envelopes), bending pitch or delay times a little, kicking in a bit more FM depth or wavefolding, etc.

Or happy software control, not just for instrument plugins but FX and mixing parameters too. Good times.

Soma Lyra-8

I'm in love with it. I've recorded almost a full album's worth of material with it in two weeks, but I'm gonna keep going and only release the best since I feel like I'm getting better with it.

At first I thought it was going to dominate everything it touches -- as in, it's very "full" spectrally and also from a musical role standpoint (drones, melodies, chords, pulsing rhythms, noise etc.) -- and I figured everything I recorded would be either a Lyra recording or a modular recording, without much crossover. But they're getting cozier with each other. Eurorack informs my Lyra playing, and the Lyra is affecting how I think about and play the modular. I've recorded a couple of things where Lyra, Eurorack and Bitwig are all very cozy and create a unified whole.
starthief
The future!

I'm really happy with my modular synth now, and the Lyra-8 and integration with Bitwig. Reasonably happy with the Reface CS too. That doesn't mean I'm not going to change anything... Mr. Green

I preordered the SynthTech E520. Part of what pushed me to a firm yes was listening to some E580 demos -- I really like that resampling character it has. It's what I liked about the W/, only with a reasonable interface.

The spectral stuff does somewhat overlap with my experimental FFT plugins, and stuff like SpecOps and MTransformer. But it's also got some new toys I haven't seen elsewhere, and being Eurorack and fully modulatable seems like it will make a pretty big difference. My own "Elitist" spectral plugin barely runs in real time, and the peak hold feature doesn't sound nearly as good as the E520's.

I'm also seriously considering an Akemie's Castle. I love the crusty sound of those old Yamaha chips. I do wish the operator tuning was a bit freer, but I think the character makes up for a lot.

Whether AC would actually replace the HD mk3 or not, I don't know. I'll be pushing the -12V limits on my PSUs and something may have to go.
autopoiesis
lol my friend you are already looking to sell your HD Mk3?
starthief
autopoiesis wrote:
lol my friend you are already looking to sell your HD Mk3?

Not so much "looking to sell" or especially planning to... just considering the possibility that I may not feel the need for it with an Akemie's Castle. We'll see. smile
starthief
I've had my Akemie's Castle for a few days now, but haven't really commented because I am very busy finishing my Lyra-8 focused album.

I sent two tracks to Obsidian Sound for mastering, and that went very quickly and very well. But I'm mastering the rest myself using what I have learned. I want the album to be consistent, and it's taking me 10x as much work to reach that high bar of quality. But with a little new factual knowledge, a bit of practical problem-solving and an excellent example to work toward, I'm happy with my results so far.

I did play with the Castle for a few hours. Basically everything Mylar Melodies said in his video about it is true -- it's not clean and pristine, and it is "super doomful." Even not using FM it'll do some surprising and gnarly things.

Because of the fixed set of ratios it doesn't really compare to HDmk3. If I ever decide to swap that one for a different TZFM complex oscillator it'll be for other reasons. That's not really on the table right now, and chances are good I'll hang onto it throughout 2020 at least.

I won a Sequential DSM-03 Feedback in a charity auction that I was sort of trying to lose. I could be heading for overkill again with resonators/delays; I'll just have to see.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 [all]
Page 20 of 20