Starthief's Eurorack adventure, 2016-???

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

SavageMessiah
Wiggling with Experience

Post by SavageMessiah » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:14 pm

Heh, should have gotten planar instead of cold mac. Of my performance control type modules, that's the one that gets the most use by far. I really like my tetrapad too, and the expander that's coming out Real Soon Now will transform it.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:44 pm

I do like Cold Mac as a utility. Its ability to cross-pan has been really cool, among other things.

I'm sure I'd like Planar for other purposes, but I'm pretty sure the Touche is going to be perfect for the Lyra, and for playing LPGs manually etc.

I experimented tonight with trying to sequence the Lyra-8. That was like trying to carve wood with a wad of cooked spaghetti.

Every one of the 8 oscillators has its own unique, non-linear, non-exponential response curve that doubles back on itself wherever it feels like it, giving an approximate 3 to 8 semitones of what I'll generously call "tracking" over an 8 volt range, with singularities that send it off into fart noises or clicky LFO range.

If I just want to modulate it to apply some vibrato, that's a lot more reasonable (and works really nicely on the delay). It's definitely meant to be played rather than sequenced :hihi:

And now I'm kind of wondering about making some patch cables with alligator clip ends for the touch plates, and sequencing notes that way with a Matrixarchate or something...

SavageMessiah
Wiggling with Experience

Post by SavageMessiah » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:52 pm

I'd never heard of the Lyra-8 before you brought it up and now I want one, it sounds amazing. I'm not going to shell out that kind of cash on non-modular stuff though. I like having everything together.

Also, certainly not knocking Cold Mac. I've got one of those too!

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:22 pm

starthief wrote:Album's released!

[bandcamp width=100% height=120 album=2047322437 size=large bgcol=ffffff linkcol=0687f5 tracklist=false artwork=small]
I loved every minute of this. you have that style that I dig. very well done. I love that it is almost a drone album but it has more verb and feedback stuff without ever sounding like it doesn't fit together. a lot of stuff feels like it was performed live by a person even deep in the drone ambient generative parts. never boring and never cliche.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:25 am

EATyourGUITAR wrote:I loved every minute of this. you have that style that I dig. very well done. I love that it is almost a drone album but it has more verb and feedback stuff without ever sounding like it doesn't fit together. a lot of stuff feels like it was performed live by a person even deep in the drone ambient generative parts. never boring and never cliche.
Thanks! Always great to get feedback and I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

I guess I should have mentioned, the next one is out too:

[bandcamp width=100% height=120 album=2748630964 size=large bgcol=333333 linkcol=0f91ff tracklist=false artwork=small]

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:13 pm

Adventure Audio Skin:

I picked it up on a whim. It's 2HP and cheap, and I'm letting go of my Bastl Dynamo so I've got room for a couple of toys.

I still think the jacks should have been at one end and the touchplates at the other, but it's usable.

My first test was a Maths cycling envelope into the FM input of Hertz Donut mk3... I got nothing at first. Pressed a little more and I got some faint modulation. Licked my fingers and WHOAH NELLY it came through :hihi:

(I have dry skin and I just furiously scrubbed my hands after cleaning up a nasty mess left by the dogs when I got home from work, so that probably doesn't help matters.)

Patch an offset from Shades into it and it'll trigger gates, LPGs etc.

Another way to use it is to plug something into a jack, and then tap the tip of another patch cable to the touchplate, Teleplexer style.

It's not a life-changing module but I think it'll be pretty fun from time to time :)

Expressive-E Touché SE

I have no regrets about getting the USB-only SE version. ES-3 + Bitwig modulators + Grid = happy CV. Great for opening VCAs/LPGs (or pinging them or triggering envelopes), bending pitch or delay times a little, kicking in a bit more FM depth or wavefolding, etc.

Or happy software control, not just for instrument plugins but FX and mixing parameters too. Good times.

Soma Lyra-8

I'm in love with it. I've recorded almost a full album's worth of material with it in two weeks, but I'm gonna keep going and only release the best since I feel like I'm getting better with it.

At first I thought it was going to dominate everything it touches -- as in, it's very "full" spectrally and also from a musical role standpoint (drones, melodies, chords, pulsing rhythms, noise etc.) -- and I figured everything I recorded would be either a Lyra recording or a modular recording, without much crossover. But they're getting cozier with each other. Eurorack informs my Lyra playing, and the Lyra is affecting how I think about and play the modular. I've recorded a couple of things where Lyra, Eurorack and Bitwig are all very cozy and create a unified whole.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:10 am

The future!

I'm really happy with my modular synth now, and the Lyra-8 and integration with Bitwig. Reasonably happy with the Reface CS too. That doesn't mean I'm not going to change anything... :mrgreen:

I preordered the SynthTech E520. Part of what pushed me to a firm yes was listening to some E580 demos -- I really like that resampling character it has. It's what I liked about the W/, only with a reasonable interface.

The spectral stuff does somewhat overlap with my experimental FFT plugins, and stuff like SpecOps and MTransformer. But it's also got some new toys I haven't seen elsewhere, and being Eurorack and fully modulatable seems like it will make a pretty big difference. My own "Elitist" spectral plugin barely runs in real time, and the peak hold feature doesn't sound nearly as good as the E520's.

I'm also seriously considering an Akemie's Castle. I love the crusty sound of those old Yamaha chips. I do wish the operator tuning was a bit freer, but I think the character makes up for a lot.

Whether AC would actually replace the HD mk3 or not, I don't know. I'll be pushing the -12V limits on my PSUs and something may have to go.

autopoiesis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:18 am

lol my friend you are already looking to sell your HD Mk3?

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:29 am

autopoiesis wrote:lol my friend you are already looking to sell your HD Mk3?
Not so much "looking to sell" or especially planning to... just considering the possibility that I may not feel the need for it with an Akemie's Castle. We'll see. :)

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:38 am

I've had my Akemie's Castle for a few days now, but haven't really commented because I am very busy finishing my Lyra-8 focused album.

I sent two tracks to Obsidian Sound for mastering, and that went very quickly and very well. But I'm mastering the rest myself using what I have learned. I want the album to be consistent, and it's taking me 10x as much work to reach that high bar of quality. But with a little new factual knowledge, a bit of practical problem-solving and an excellent example to work toward, I'm happy with my results so far.

I did play with the Castle for a few hours. Basically everything Mylar Melodies said in his video about it is true -- it's not clean and pristine, and it is "super doomful." Even not using FM it'll do some surprising and gnarly things.

Because of the fixed set of ratios it doesn't really compare to HDmk3. If I ever decide to swap that one for a different TZFM complex oscillator it'll be for other reasons. That's not really on the table right now, and chances are good I'll hang onto it throughout 2020 at least.

I won a Sequential DSM-03 Feedback in a charity auction that I was sort of trying to lose. I could be heading for overkill again with resonators/delays; I'll just have to see.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:03 am

DSM03 Feedback

Basically what this is is a Karplus-Strong voice in a module, with a few additional applications, and some odd limitations.

It has a white noise generator with trigger and AD envelope. There doesn't seem to be a way to get it to continuously produce noise without retriggering. There's also an audio input for external processing.

Unlike some KS patches it doesn't sound overly buzzy too me even with the filter fully open. It tracks 1V/OCT relatively well, but it can be a little disrupted by its filter... which IMHO adds charm. It tracks pitch without a big slew, which is very welcome.

Turning up filter resonance, or closing the filter cutoff more than a little, will severely cut back on the feedback and the output level. I feel like there should have been some compensation for that or just more possible gain in the feedback loop, and it's a bit disappointing in this regard.

Delay times can get long enough for a relatively rapid echo, but it's never going to rival the Mimeophon ;) I haven't tried using it as just a filter yet, but with Filter8 and Ripples for competition I'm not sure that would be its best use.

It occupies a weird role in my setup, but I did have some pretty good fun patching it last night. I'm going to hang onto it at least until the E520 arrives before deciding its ultimate fate. :)

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:56 pm

Today I released my album featuring the Soma Lyra-8 with Eurorack, Reface CS and software:

[bandcamp width=100% height=120 album=3133305553 size=large bgcol=ffffff linkcol=0687f5 tracklist=false artwork=small]

Production/patch notes are here.

I'm holding firm on my current Eurorack gear. There's just enough space for the E520 I preordered, plus perhaps an Arcadian Rhythms. (I still don't like Synthrotek, but for a kit that cheap I can hold my nose. And I'll be dipping into the DIY waters a little bit, maybe will build some other kits later.)

I kind of want to try a Double Andore mk1 out of curiosity, but there's not really the space or power headroom for it.

I'm pledging not to sell or trade any of my current sound sources or modulators in 2020. In fact won't make any modular changes at all until I've had some time with the E520, at which point I might shuffle effects and possibly filters if I feel it'll be worth it.

Where I'm likely to see some trading action though is with pedals. The PEDAL CRUSH book is shipping now, and I suspect I'm going to want to try some things beyond the the Tensor, Dark World and Analog Drive that I have now. But I don't need stuff that overlaps with my favorite FX in Euro and VST formats.

I've been on a bit of a plugin kick lately, picking up DDMF MagicDeathEye, Wavesfactory Spectre, HoRNet ThirtyOne and NI Replika XT in Black Friday sales, and prior to that, McDSP 6050 and Wavesfactory Cassette. I feel pretty well armed in that department :)

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Starthief's Eurorack adventure, 2016-???

Post by starthief » Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:34 pm

I see haven't posted in a month, and it seems like a good time for a 2019 review and what my plans are for 2020.

2019:

- I consolidated two cases into one, and rethought my setup in major ways twice with some refinement after that. Overall I sold 44 Eurorack modules and bought 31, sold a synth and bought 2 others, and sold 5 pedals and bought 2. But I'm pretty happy overall with where things landed, and it's been stable for a few months and will continue for a while.

- I released 6 albums. :party: I also have a bunch of material ready for the next album, to be released in January.

- I raised my mastering game, integrated my hardware and software much more closely, and added more hands-on performance control to my rig.

- Favorite gear of the year: Lyra-8, 16n Faderbank, Make Noise Mimeophon, Akemie's Castle. In software: DDMF MagicDeathEye, Wavesfactory Cassette & Spectre, Valhalla Delay

For 2020:

I plan to keep my Euro setup pretty stable at this point and resist GAS with reminders that I love where it's at now. I'm not going to sell or trade away anything until I've tried the E520, though I might buy a couple things before that.

- I don't really care about the arcade buttons at this point. :tu:

- Klavis Flexshaper: I plan to buy one as soon as they're in stock. It seems so flexible and useful that it could lead to a second one. It might ultimately replace the tanh[3] and could prompt me to try different Via firmware in place of Scanner.

- DSM03: while its audio rate modulation is a bit cooler than the Mimeophon's, it doesn't otherwise distinguish itself enough in my system and is very likely to go when the E520 arrives.

- Hertz Donut: I think I'm going to buy a used mk2 so I can compare it side by side with the mk3 and decide for sure.

In general, I find the mk2 more immediate and friendly, prefer its feature set (with a couple of exceptions) and its sonic character. The mk3 has much better waveshapers and the third operator, and sometimes the ability to skip between "clean" harmonic ratios is cool. But overall I am still not in love with it like I was the mk2.

- Make Noise Contour: this used to be my favorite envelope, but I don't find myself using it that much anymore due to the kind of music I'm making. I have some thoughts about putting a Zadar in that space, but honestly I don't know that I really need that either. So I won't move too hastily on this.

- Supercell: I do appreciate the ability to host all those firmware versions and switch between them easily. I actually haven't been using the full modulation possibilities all that much though and if I find myself really desperate for space, I could see switching to Microcell. Right now I don't think that's going to be an issue though, unless there is some absolute must-have that I can't squeeze in any other way.

Synths: super happy with what I have right now, the Lyra-8 and Reface CS. The Reface isn't a powerhouse but I don't need one. So that's probably not going to change for 2020.

Pedals: I have my eye on a few things. Red Panda Particle, OBNE Dweller, perhaps Digitech Freqout to start. I really like the demos I've heard of Walrus Audio Slö, but I have to remind myself I have reverb pretty well covered. I also like Meet Maude and several other delays, but delay is even more well covered between Euro and software. But I might let pedals be my GAS outlet in the coming year.

But to start out with, I want to explore Akemie's Castle a bit more -- between holiday stuff, a couple of bouts with illness, the Lyra-8, learning mastering etc. I have not put in as much time with it as I could and I feel like it's got a ton of untapped possibilities in there.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:35 am

Klavis Flexshaper

I ordered it from Signal Sounds, and it cross the Atlantic and half a continent faster than some orders from US shops. :mrgreen: It's very cool and flexible -- I wouldn't replace a standard wavefolder with it but it certainly does saturation and all kinds of more advanced shaping, and surprisingly, bitcrushing too. I wrote about it in a bit more detail in its thread.

I'll probably let go of my tanh[3], but I won't reflash my Via Scanner with other firmware. Its own shaping/folding capabilities are different and cool enough to justify itself.

Hertz Donut mk2 (vs mk3 (vs Akemie's Castle))

I bought an HDmk2 from Reverb at a nice price, and rearranged things to mount it right next to my mk3.

I was hoping to immediately love it more and have it be a clear-cut decision, but reality is more complex than that. I'm going to do a detailed comparison, perhaps with audio examples to share.

My first impression is that the FM character is NOT that much different between them -- when the mk2's waveshaper is in orange mode and depth is 0. The other modes add a buzzy "digital" edge even with 0 depth though. The sines aren't really pure on either of them and there are subtle differences. The mk2 does alias a bit but not as much as I remembered.

I'm factoring Akemie's Castle into my decision process too. There is no way I'm keeping all three FM modules, but it's possible I keep both Donuts and sell Castle.

Pedal Stuff

I'm GASsing for a Strymon El Capistan... but have convinced myself to wait for the E520, since sound-on-sound with tape degradation is one of the things it seems to do very well. Particle V2 will be the next pedal (and probably next piece of music gear overall) that I buy.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:41 pm

I spent the weekend intensely comparing the HD mk2 and mk3 and (less directly) Akemie's Castle.

Hertz Donut mk2 vs mk3: the details

TLDR:

- I got back up to speed on the mk2 very quickly, and soon was more comfortable with it than the mk3. I'm willing to sacrifice the mk3's extra features for the much better feel it has to me.

- In terms of sound, they each have their strengths. The "better" FM on the mk2 isn't really, but can be more aggressive due to the waveshaper modes and oscillator output wave choice. The "better" waveshaping on the mk3 isn't, after comparing and reconsidering -- I think the waveshaping on each module is appropriate to its overall design, and is best considered in the context of accompanying the FM and using audio rate modulation. Overall, I lean more toward the mk2 though.

- When I first got the mk3, I hated that Discrete tracking mode was the default -- but I got used to it and came to appreciate it. I found I was able to set up a Teletype scene to imitate that very nicely for the mk2, though.

- So overall the mk2 is the winner, and I'll be selling the mk3 when my personal moratorium on selling ends :)

- My next concern is HD mk2 vs Akemie's Castle. I feel like having them both is FM overkill, especially given other FM-capable sources that I have -- but both have their charms. So I'm going to dig heavily into Castle and really get to know it inside and out. Perhaps I might even make it the focus of album #13. (I'm nearly finished tracking album #12.)

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:17 pm

Projects, plans, power and NAMM

I've finished a first pass at mastering the next album, and all seems well contingent on a few more listens on various systems. I expect I'll be releasing that this weekend :guinness:

I've got a Particle 2 arriving today or tomorrow. I don't at all expect it to replace my Supercell because the sense I get out of it is a very different, coarser textured granular/delay thing.

For the next project, in addition to giving the Castle a serious trial by fire, I also want to get back into subtractive synthesis. I've been kind of neglecting it since getting into modular. I think I'm ready to try to make some use of it and see what happens. While resonant filter sweeps pretty much bore me, a nice combination of drive and the right filter settings I think will serve me well.

So with that in mind -- and wanting my more heavily tweaked modules in closer reach -- I'm about to reshuffle my case. It'll be a sort of pre-E520 setup; when that module arrives I can pull out the couple of modules I plan to sell for sure, and drop it right in.

Because of those stupid Meanwell PSUs I have, with their 500mA of -12V each, any module rearranging requires spreadsheeting to balance the power load. My plan puts 493mA on one PSU and 490 on the other. :omg: That won't improve much when the E520 goes in.

Akemie's Castle happens to be one of my thirstiest modules for -12V, at 120mA -- but I expect it to put up a hell of a fight in its upcoming battle and probably survive. The other biggest consumers are Natural Gate (80mA) which is never going to leave my rack, and Filter 8 (75mA) which likewise.

But Cold Mac needs 62mA, and given that I use it for cross-panning tricks or an extra VCA 98% of the time, I should be able to handle that functionality with Bitwig Grid -- so that's on my list of stuff to try.

One of the few things that grabbed my attention from the NAMM announcements was the 4ms Ensemble Oscillator. I don't want to factor it in to my decision about whether to keep both Castle and HDmk2... but if I do decide to drop one of those, I may pick it up :D

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:34 am

Particle V2 is pretty sweet. I would not say it is similar to Clouds, because the overlap with the grains just isn't that much -- "Chop" is a well-named control. Honestly, I think Particle should be thought of as a delay/pitch shifter with granular modulation and freezing, not as a granular effect as such.

I find I prefer controlling it via MIDI USB over the actual knobs, since the physical controls don't expose all the parameters and/or combine them in weird and relatively limited ways.

For the moment I have it patched in mono, but it's a stereo pedal. I also have two mono pedals, and an ADDAC200PI. I find it doesn't attenuate quite enough to stop Particle from clipping (even at the pedal's max input level setting) without additional attenuation.

I could use my Trim and Gozinta together as a pedal interface, but found that a little awkward before -- and even more so trying to go from dual mono 3.5mm to stereo 1/4" TRS. In frustration and some disgust, I wound up ordering a Strymon AA.1 and (separately because Strymon's cable prices are insane!) a stereo TRS cable and a mono-to-stereo insert cable. Why the AA.1 doesn't use TRS for both the input and output I have no idea. I didn't want to spent an extra $160 to use my pedal in stereo, but I guess I can think of it as an investment in the future for the other couple of pedals I'm likely to pick up later.

I'd have gone for Knob Farm Ferry instead, but it wants 40mA from the -12V rail compared to the Strymon's 10mA.

desolationjones
Wiggling with Experience

Post by desolationjones » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:20 am

Seems like you should ponder a PSU augmentation/replacement. Some limitations are great but every time I've had power restrictions it just adds a layer of anxiety to all the existing ergonomic calculus.

cg_funk
Wiggling with Experience

Post by cg_funk » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:32 am

Dunno if you've already done this, but your OTool+ can be jumpered to run off the 5V rail. That'll buy you another 68mV on the +12....

Yeah, maybe you should look into a beefier PSU. I remember juggling modules to get enough headroom, digital modules usually require extra juice at boot-up. Some PSUs have a soft-start, which sorta gets around that... but you don't want to use more than 80% of your power rating ideally.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:22 pm

desolationjones wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:20 am
Seems like you should ponder a PSU augmentation/replacement.
I feel like my case is almost "finished" (ha) and the power is almost enough and I could squeak by... but yeah, there's been a lot of frustration about the power limits. So I'm thinking about it.
cg_funk wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:32 am
Dunno if you've already done this, but your OTool+ can be jumpered to run off the 5V rail. That'll buy you another 68mV on the +12....
Yup, I always enable 5V where available.

autopoiesis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:27 pm

Your writeup on Donuts 2+3 and Akemie's Castle was good. I'm a big fan of both of the donuts but my absolute favorite complex oscillator configuration is using Tides in PLL mode + FM Aid + DPO (although any analog oscillator will still complete this setup very well). Since you've had most if not all of these modules in the past, it's too bad you didn't get a chance to try this patch out.

DPO VCO A's sawtooth into the FM Aid carrier input, DPO VCO A's triangle into Tides's clock input, Tides + DPO VCO B sine into a mixer, mixer output into the FM Aid modulator input. With Tides in PLL mode you can quickly select between discrete frequency ratios for its operator(s) (if using the 2018 Tides, the 'different frequencies' mode gives you other-ratio'd oscillators you can mix into this PM 'modulation bus'), and the waveshaping on it makes it an incredibly detailed and timbrally versatile FM/PM modulator. Its digital wavefolding produces quite different results from an analog wavefolder -- while I've found using an analog-wavefolded sine as an FM/PM modulator to produce much too noisy and distorted results, Tides's folded oscillators when used as FM/PM modulators via FM Aid produce extremely detailed growling and guttural spectra. To me, it delivers up to the clearest examples of TZFM plonks and tines, and a ridiculously greater variety of timbres.

I prefer having a third unquantized free-running operator in the mix, that's where VCO B's sine comes in. Also because in PLL mode Tides starts to slew and fall apart when its effective frequency output is above 4000Hz or below 20Hz (pulling these numbers out of my ass just from recent memory), I keep its frequency spread from the carrier in a conservative range and use the DPO's other oscillator to modulate from much higher or lower frequencies, or just introduce more beating.

A bonus discovery is that if you ring-modulate the oscillator(s) before they're patched into the FM Aid modulation input, using the carrier oscillator's sine as the ring modulation signal, the sound moves away from typical TZFM and PM and more into the territory of the Hertz Donut MkIII's audio-rate phase distortion modulation. Unsure of the maths behind it because I don't know if any of us 100% understand what's going on under the hood of the FM Aid (I do not believe it's actually just an "optimized wavefolder" like the West Oakland Sinulator), but the end results from this patch are very rich and usable.

I've also really enjoyed just using DPO + FM Aid + a ring modulator as described above, in a more simple 2-op configuration. Small or large amounts of the DPO's own (cross-) FM get amplified in much more interesting detail when its two oscillators are pushed into PM via the FM Aid, and I have always loved everything about the DPO except its linear FM.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:31 pm

autopoiesis wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:27 pm
my absolute favorite complex oscillator configuration is using Tides in PLL mode + FM Aid + DPO...
Nice writeup! I can see how that combo would stand up very well.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:49 am

I wound up ordering an FM Aid from Herr Schneider. I missed the module too much, and figure I've learned quite a bit about FM and waveshaping since I had it last. I've been trying to fake it in various ways, which sometimes gets me to interesting places, but can be awkward to tweak into place.

I'm gonna explore some of the other Starling Via firmware options rather than Scanner, I think. I find it a little hard to work with as a wavefolder/shaper, and I suspect some of the other firmware will do just as well at the digital mangling I like it for. I think I'm gonna start with Sync... sort of a digital hyper-PLL, I gather :)

autopoiesis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:26 am

good choice! it serves as a fine wavefolder when you're not looking to do its signature "phase modulation occurring outside the carrier" trick.

I recommend having a screwdriver that's well-suited to adjusting the trimpot on the front of the panel. I unfortunately dinged the hell out of the paint around that with a flathead that's larger than the job calls for.

didn't know about Sync ... that should work similarly to Tides in this kind of configuration. what I like about Tides 2018 in particular though (besides how its waveshaping affects the final result in an FM/PM patch): I can (and just did so this week) recompile the firmware with new sets of frequency ratios and tuning relationships between its 4 outputs. bless Émilie and open source

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:43 am

I tried Sync for a while. It does kind of remind me of TIdes in that it has that almost perfect PLL tracking and waveshaping. It also has phase modulation. I thought a little too much of the interface was dedicated to the different ratios/scales for my liking, but it's a neat tool.

I switched to Sync3 and I think that's going to suit me better. It's three oscillators synced to a common PLL input, each with adjustable ratios. The first oscillator has its own output, the other two are mixed at a second output with bipolar VCAs (although the oscillators themselves are unipolar). The only shapes available are triangle, saw and square, but phase modulation is available for the second and third oscillators. Self-patching can lead to some fun chordal and harmonic drones -- as can trying to follow an FM'd input if things are just right -- so I think this is generally going to be more my speed.

I went ahead and ordered a Sync3 faceplate for it and expect I will stick with this firmware for a while. Though I'm still a bit curious about Meta :hihi:

Return to “Eurorack Modules”