MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Moog Werkstatt with CV patching tips
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Moog Werkstatt with CV patching tips
jahreed
Hey all - - i have been trying to get some tips/guidance and there is not alot i have found for patching the werkstatt with euro.

the ins and outs are not labeled in an intuitive way to patch with my other modules. for example i tried to send a cv envelope to the vca cv in and it's just not responding the way i would think...

best results i have is running a gate to the gate in? to trigger the envelop - sort of.

i love the sound of this little dude but i am struggling to integrate it beyond bassy drones...
scuto
I've only been using it for bassy drones (so much fun for that!), but if I get around to trying this out I'll get back to you.
jahreed
for sure i have used it this way as well - i love the sound of the VCO and VCF which is why i am keen to get it sequencing...
jahreed
going to experiment tonight with vactrol gates for fake envelops...
Blairio
Do you have the CV expander board for the Werkstatt? The board plugs into the multi socket on the top of the workstatt and has 13 mini jacks on its edge, clearly marked up for the various CV inputs and outputs. This makes it easy to see what you are doing with cv sources & destinations.

https://www.moogmusic.com/products/accessories/werkstatt-cv-expander

The only commonly used input missing from the Werkstatt is a Gate In. If you want that you will need to make a small modification to the Werkstatt, or have a technician do it for you. Details of the modification are available on Moog's Werkstatt page.
jahreed
Hey - thanks for the info -
I do have the expander and have found it, generally, usefull
that said:
the Gate in issue is exactly what i have been struggling with to get it fully integrated

i found a couple of mods on the subject -
https://synthnerd.wordpress.com/2016/01/15/moog-werkstatt-adding-a-pro per-cv-input/
http://laurentidesynthworks.blogspot.com/2014/07/moog-werkstatt-1-mods .html

getting my head around which is appropriate for my needs.
the soldering iron is definately busting out this weekend smile
DSC
Yep, that was one of the first things I got rid of once I got my grubby mits on it. By removing the keyboard and allowing a direct in to control the envelopes, it behaved like you suggest a 'normal' euro module would act like. This was a very challenging mod however, even so that I don't even perform it anymore. These are now extremely cheap however, so it does become tempting to do another run.

http://www.ninstrument.com/?p=1644

jahreed
these are amazing - it definately seems like a major overhaul with a custom panel. what did you charge to convert these when you were still doing them?
DSC
Back when they were still full price I was charging $300 - $375 to do the mods. Not including the Werkstatt. The main tricky bit was cutting the main pcb with a bandsaw. Past that, enlarging a hole to fit a ten turn pot was a bit tricky too. Custom panel and switch covers too. Now that I think about it, it was too much work.

jahreed
I am finding more and more that outsourcing mods to a third party is rarely cost effective for either party...
DSC
Not to toot my own horn, but i will say, it is nice to know a few DIY guys, so when you absolutely want to get something custom for your setup and don't mind spending some money, you can at least get it done. Some of the custom stuff I have had made for my rig is absolutely priceless to me and gets used all of the time! Space Case Tape Echo, I am looking at you!
darenager
I make a mod for Werkstatt that comes pre-assembled it gives proper gate in, pitch CV in and filter CV in (both trimmable) to install it you just drill the holes and solder 4 wires, it works very well. The gate input will accept anything from audio level (0.5v) upto 15v so for example you could trigger it from a TR-606 trig out, a machinedrum impulse or similar, or a regular gate or trigger from your modular.

The price is £30GBP plus postage, it comes built onto a small PCB leaving plenty of room for other mods, and leaving the proto area on the Werkstatt PCB free. It is perfectly ok to use it at the same time as the moog expander too, for pitch though it is better to use my cv inputs as the can be trimmed. Here is a brief demo of it:

https://instagram.com/p/BNFZbgtAhAd/
jahreed
well hey - that looks pretty spiff

pm'd
fostewi
darenager wrote:
I make a mod for Werkstatt that comes pre-assembled it gives proper gate in, pitch CV in and filter CV in (both trimmable) to install it you just drill the holes and solder 4 wires, it works very well. The gate input will accept anything from audio level (0.5v) upto 15v so for example you could trigger it from a TR-606 trig out, a machinedrum impulse or similar, or a regular gate or trigger from your modular.

The price is £30GBP plus postage, it comes built onto a small PCB leaving plenty of room for other mods, and leaving the proto area on the Werkstatt PCB free. It is perfectly ok to use it at the same time as the moog expander too, for pitch though it is better to use my cv inputs as the can be trimmed. Here is a brief demo of it:

This sounds very interesting. I'm a guitar player and just picked up a werkstatt as my entry into synth, mostly to learn about sound, mod, filters, etc but now that I have it I want to apply diffferent inputs such as sequences and use as a effect for guitar input if possible. I have read everything I can find on how to mod this but seems there are always complications that being a novice I just don't understand. Would you be able to tell me if/how this mod could be used to accomplish some of this stuff? For example, could I hook up something like a korg sq-1 without any further mods? How would you use the gate in? Thanks for listening to my newbie questions.
darenager
Yes the primary reason for designing this mod was to allow the Werkstatt to be used with a sequencer, with accurate pitch and proper gating, anything with CV and Gate outputs will work, includling the SQ1.
Peake
DSC, that is beautiful!
ArchdukeJFranz
I did the mod posted earlier in this thread at the synthnerd link. Works perfectly, the only difference was that I didn't use the screw at ground. Found ground pins on the PCB using a multimeter.
nathanscribe
darenager wrote:

It's a very neat PCB, I approve smile

I did spot these on eBay though, and while I don't mean anything malicious here, I am interested to know if you're using the circuit from my Synthnerd site..?
nathanscribe
ArchdukeJFranz wrote:
I did the mod posted earlier in this thread at the synthnerd link. Works perfectly, the only difference was that I didn't use the screw at ground. Found ground pins on the PCB using a multimeter.

cool

Aye, the reason I used the screw post was simplicity. Seemed like an obvious point to go to.

I've got a few more Werkstatt mods lined up. Life has got in the way of all things synth for the last few months, sadly... finally getting back to the blog!
grenert
nathanscribe wrote:
I've got a few more Werkstatt mods lined up. Life has got in the way of all things synth for the last few months, sadly... finally getting back to the blog!

Looking forward to reading about your mods! I've really enjoyed working on my own Werkstatt. It has such a rich tone. Modding it seems very much in the spirit of Dr. Moog!
w00t
darenager
nathanscribe wrote:
darenager wrote:

It's a very neat PCB, I approve smile

I did spot these on eBay though, and while I don't mean anything malicious here, I am interested to know if you're using the circuit from my Synthnerd site..?

Hi Nathan - No I am not using exactly the same circuit as you, although I did see your mods and they were certainly helpful. thumbs up

When I got my Werkstatt I downloaded the schematic and had a look at quite a few of the various mods floating around online. I already figured out the gate input which was obviously a priority, since it isn't included on the header, I simply adapted an existing circuit that I use in one of my other designs for that, my CV inputs though are the same as yours, because well frankly there isn't really any other way to do them. Anyway, thanks for publishing your mods and getting in touch.
darenager
nathanscribe wrote:
ArchdukeJFranz wrote:

cool

Aye, the reason I used the screw post was simplicity. Seemed like an obvious point to go to.

I was thinking of doing another kit which fits down the edge adding audio input, VCA CV in, LFO CV in, Sub oscillator, and VCO wave direct outputs, I have not had the chance yet but hoping to get them done nearer the summer.

BTW I also do mod kits for the Monotribe, including a VCO mod which I might be able to adapt for the Werkstatt, could be interesting!
nathanscribe
darenager wrote:
I was thinking of doing another kit which fits down the edge adding audio input, VCA CV in, LFO CV in, Sub oscillator, and VCO wave direct outputs, I have not had the chance yet but hoping to get them done nearer the summer.

BTW I also do mod kits for the Monotribe, including a VCO mod which I might be able to adapt for the Werkstatt, could be interesting!

Fair enough smile

Yeah, I just got back into the mods this weekend but anything I do come up with will end up on the blog for general use. I've run out of useful space on the little free-hole-zone, especially after some clumsy soldering today, so it's gonna be stripboard from now on...

There are some frustrating compromises about the design with the Werkstatt that make adding simple things a bit awkward sometimes, but overall I like it a lot. Sub-osc is a good idea. You going to add a level control?
darenager
Yes for the sub osc was just going to use a CD4024 and bring out -1 and -2 octave each to a simple mixer then into the filter, might be handy to have a switch to select output to filter audio or filter cv for some nice crunchy tones hihi
peecee
darenager wrote:

just ordered one, excited to install Skate or die!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2