MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Modulars on a plane
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Play Out! Performance Modulars  
Author Modulars on a plane
samn
If you absolutely had to check your modulars onto a plane cargo. Do you suppose putting your case into a pelican case with plenty of foam is enough?

What are the risks if most of the modules are surface mount? Dead Banana
seank
specifically 12u folding cases (similar to the elite 12u's) that are patched.
Crunchyave
I'd personally trust a pelican case for traveling, as long as you have it well snugged with foam on the inside. I had one for my tube amp and I toured with it for five years, solid as a rock.

They're pretty much the gold standard for people like film makers and photographers who travel, and if those people are willing to entrust $100k RED cameras and $9000 DSLR lenses to them, I reckon a modular synth would be just fine.
samn
Crunchyave wrote:
I'd personally trust a pelican case for traveling, as long as you have it well snugged with foam on the inside. I had one for my tube amp and I toured with it for five years, solid as a rock.

They're pretty much the gold standard for people like film makers and photographers who travel, and if those people are willing to entrust $100k RED cameras and $9000 DSLR lenses to them, I reckon a modular synth would be just fine.

You make a good point with the reds etc. Thanks for the reply! We all have this nightmare of baggage throwing our gear.
bernwerlin
This is something I worry about too, but more in context to TSA wondering what the hell my modular synth is!
samn
bernwerlin wrote:
This is something I worry about too, but more in context to TSA wondering what the hell my modular synth is!

I have flown with the synth as a carry on and TSA didn't even blink. I have seen photos of people having TSA check it out of curiosity.
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
I'm sick and tired of these mother-fuckin' modulars on this mother-fuckin' plane!
numan7
Samuel L. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:

cheers
neuroportal

Sorry for the rush job...smile
Astrolabe23
The only time I ever had a TSA employee super scrutinize me was a year or two after 9-11 when flying out of Denver. ...And It wasn't even the rocket launcher looking control panel of the modular in a case, but the ball of patch cables in my duffle that did it. I guess the X-Ray image of a bunch of mini cables wrapped around a delay pedal looks suspiciously like the wiring of a bomb.
Steevio
ive been flying for the last two years around Europe with my 9u checked into the hold. Its surface mounted in a 19"rack flightcase and ive had no problems. Around 60 return flights.
I'm still considering moving up to shockproof flightcases just for piece of mind.
seank
fuck yeah that's exactly what we needed to hear. we're putting our folding 12u's in pelican cases with a ton of foam. should be fine.
facklr
nvrmnd
tgcheal
Pelicans are built like tanks. I've toured (as an engineer) with a bunch of cases, but peli is the standard. Never had a problem with any of their stuff, so much so that I built a 6U case into one of my pelicans. You can literally drive over them with a truck, even airport luggage guys can't muster that much force! But obviously make sure it's well padded inside...
rayjohnson
i'd also be worried that the TSA are too dumb/careless...
3spds
Many airlines will let you check fragile items at the gate. That way, it gets a special tag and never goes on the conveyor belt with the "throwers". You can likely even watch them walk it down by hand and place it into the hold. Then when you land they bring it back up to the gate in the same fashion.
I've done this a couple times and had no problems with my sturdy-but-not-shockproof MDLR "performer series" case. https://www.mdlrcase.com/ First time was pretty scary, (incidentally there's a cure for that ... Guinness ftw! ) but honestly my synths have taken far worse beatings at the venue than on the way there.
dudeman
pelicans all the way

we tour with other outboard gear in flight case racks and it gets treated like absolute shit by the TSA and ground staff. we're always on AA btw if that makes a difference. maybe some airlines do it better...

we've had racks last less than 10 flights

there's 2 problems -- the baggage handlers who throw things around like nobody's business

and the TSA who on multiple occasions don't even put the lids back on the racks properly. it's a joke. seriously, we've had stuff fly down the shoot onto the belt (another problem, things rarely come out at oversize like they're supposed to) with the lids off and cables and gear flying everywhere

we haven't done a flight in the last 5 years where every piece didn't have a "this has been checked by the TSA" slip in it

just be prepared for them to fuck with your shit. and make your cases as strong and idiot proof as possible. ie. pelicans
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Play Out! Performance Modulars  
Page 1 of 1