MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index

FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Wiard???
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Author Wiard???

KoryB

Is it possible to get a complete Wiard system in one format?

Thanks!

slow_riot

Hi Kory

The Wiard modules in frac format were designed and built when Grant was running the Wiard shop. The 300 series 6U modules were his first designs, but he collaborated with John Blacet to create more economic modules (this was before euro took off), designing and building his own modules, as well as licensing the miniwave and helping design the Blacet VCO.

Health problems stopped Grant from assembling modules. The small format side was passed on to Josh at Malekko (now rebranded as Richter) which are available in euro format only. Whilst Cary Grace is building 300 series modules using the Wiard name.

KoryB

Thanks!

Would be nice to have all the modules in a single format smile

chamomileshark

Wiard Frac was never a complete system although Grant was aiming for that at one point. Frac had the Miniwave (Grant's design built by Blacet), the noise ring, JAG and the two filters, Boogie and Borg 2.

so it would either be Euro or Wiard 300 series now.

KoryB

chamomileshark wrote:
Wiard Frac was never a complete system although Grant was aiming for that at one point. Frac had the Miniwave (Grant's design built by Blacet), the noise ring, JAG and the two filters, Boogie and Borg 2.

so it would either be Euro or Wiard 300 series now.

Thanks!!!

I hope that Vision is realized. I'd LOVE to have a complete Wiard system in one format.

chamomileshark

No, that's not going to happen in Frac.

As said Wiard 300 series is complete - I think the Eurorack offerings are more or less complete too?

parasitk

KoryB - you can: http://wiard.com

drumsofd00m

As far as I recall from up to 2004 (after which I took a long break from the online modular scene), Grant wanted to complement Paia and Blacet with the 1200 series as well as accomodate people who disliked the visual and auditive style of the 300 series (keep in mind resonant lopass gates and decorated faceplates were NEW).
Hence, the first runs of 1200 modules were black and had Moog- or MOTM-style knobs, which Grant had once dubbed something like the "dorky laboratory look", and the Borg 2 came with some innuendo like "improved for dance music compatibility", in other words "are they fast enough for you now?"
Luckily, the modules were coveted with the 300 series clientele also, and blue 1200s were soon made.
Grant may have thought about expanding into a complete system at that point, I guess Mark is right, since the Malekko lineup certainly is complete (provided you mix "Wiard Malekko" and "Richter" modules, because the Megawave only came after the name change). But initially, the 1200 was intended to mix.

The 300 lacks the digital waveshaping (NLT) capability now, but is still a complete system from the perspective of classic, pre-2009 analog synths (in other words, timeless). You can get a close relative of most semi-modulars with one six-module tier + 311C controller, or expand into the ubiquituous modular madness to taste. The modules are certainly flexible enough to be worth buying more than one of each, as well as just buying one module from the whole lineup if you lack the money for more; Grant even started to dub them "Electroniums" in 2002 or so because you can create complete self-contained patches on a Woggle Bug, Borg or Dual Envelator, or just two of the others.

The Malekko lineup retains the waveshaping and has two different types of VCOs, so it's more than just complete, plus you can add the Make Noise Woggle Bug and RxMx to get even more of Grant's stuff, but I guess it doesn't have that feeling of a nucleus-like, comfortable semi-modular (i.e. easy pre-patching facilities, pre-arranged sub-module selection, and a lot less seduction into G.A.S. by virtue of sheer module and rack frame size).

I don't know about long-term availablity with Malekko, and now the Blacet Miniwave is being phased out, but the 300 is planned by Cary to be "carried into the future", so probably one of the safest investments in the current modular scene.

Hope that helps the OP with your, um, ongoing Wiard quest...

P.S.
Quote:
Frac had the Miniwave (Grant's design built by Blacet), the noise ring, JAG and the two filters, Boogie and Borg 2.

Grant also made a 1200 series joystick + gate button module so Frac users could emulate the 311-B JAG controller.

chamomileshark

there was also a JAG in Frac - so JAG as a module and the joystick as a separate module I think.

as you say those had been combined in the various New Controllers for the 300 series.

drumsofd00m

chamomileshark wrote:
there was also a JAG in Frac

Yeah, that's what you said/ what I quoted ;-)

Quote:
- so JAG as a module and the joystick as a separate module I think.

...and hence that's what I meant.

Quote:
as you say those had been combined in the various New Controllers for the 300 series.

Ah, you're right, the 1200 stuff was first, then the 311B. In this order:
- 311 Dual Joystick Controller with voltmeter (no JAGs), ca. 2000
- 1209 Joystick/ Gate, 2002 (I bought two from the first run)
- 1211 JAG, ca. 2003
- 311B "New Controller" aka Dual JAG Controller, ca. 2004
- (Edit: and of course now Cary's 311C, adding quadrature LFOs and digital gates)

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Page 1 of 1