MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Axoloti vs. Organelle
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Axoloti vs. Organelle
Shrigg
Hello all,
I am new around here and was very seriously considering an organelle after watching many demo videos. Maybe I'm smitten with all the well-produced videos or the organelle's all around out of the box usability.

I see plenty of mention about the Axoloti being a superior/more powerful platform but I've not found any good demos of actual music being made with an Axoloti. Can someone point me to some good axoloti demos? Which unit might have more potential as a live effects processor for say bass guitar?

Also I'm all ears as far as other pros and cons: axoloti+axocontrol+a mini keyboard vs. organelle! Thank you

Best,
Darren
Shrigg
This gave me a good overview on the Axoloti:

And the organelle video by knobs is what got me excited about that box:

Also Critter & Guitari's own video is wonderful

Scot Solida
I didn't realize that Organelle was a similar sort of thing until reading this thread. Now I'm curious about it, too. I have an Axoloti but haven't had much time with it yet. It's pretty neat from what I've seen so far and the price is certainly right. There are a few videos on the Axoloti site, but you're right, there isn't much out there to give one an idea of how it can sound. It's still early days, though.
Shrigg
This was another good look at the Axoloti.

thetechnobear
I think comparing Axoloti and Organelle is a bit apples and oranges...

the most obvious being price, Axoloti is 65 euro vs Organelle at 530 euro.
you could connect multiple Axolotis and controllers at a fraction of the price on an organelle.

also they are not really targeted at the same audience:
- Organelle is a 'finished instrument' that you can program with PD.

- Axoloti is a customisable platform, the engine
no case, no controller, you add what you want. you'll see this DIY aspect mirrored in the forum too. the community library, comprises more of 'expanded objects' rather than finished patches.

as for sound quality or potential, I think this is more down to the effort of the user - neither have a huge number of patches 'out of the box'. your going to want to build your own patches, I think you'll get bored with those included quite quickly.
(Id also echo its early days for both... Axoloti has way more objects, thanks to the community, than it did a year a go - and looks like it will continue to grow, Organelle is perhaps similar)

so...
if you want to have an instrument out of the box, or want to use PD, get an Organelle.

if you want to experiment with building an instrument, or doing more experimental stuff, id say the Axoloti beats it.

also you should consider Bela, very much in the DIY sector, more expensive, but a bit more raw power. it also allows you to use PD/Heavy and Supercollider. I like it - but I do find it a little less 'friendly' than Axoloti though.
GovernorSilver
Bear in mind, the Axoloti in physical form is just this - no case, no buttons... just a naked board:

I'm not comfortable with soldering stuff and other aspects of building things. But if you are, this might be a good choice.
mokomo
Just plug a USB controller or din midi directly into the axoloti and plug in your audio in and audio out and away you go. No soldering needed.
Making a case is easy, even an old VHS case will do.

If you solder and can understand simple pot, button and led wiring you can build your own UI.

As a USB host, Axoloti is also a handy Swiss Army knife for functions such as connecting USB midi controllers to DIN synths e.g. providing an OP-1 with DIN midi or controlling your Octatrack with USB midi.

Lots of fun to be had with an axoloti both for audio processing, effects, synthesis and midi programming - it uses a visual object interface where you connect wires on your PC screen to prebuilt objects, or you can code your own, and then upload them to the axoloti to run standalone, disconnected from your PC. Advanced programming of your own objects does require advanced programming skills however. There is a good community at their website sharing code and advice.
Shrigg
mokomo wrote:
Just plug a USB controller or din midi directly into the axoloti and plug in your audio in and audio out and away you go. No soldering needed.

If you solder and can understand simple pot, button and led wiring you can build your own UI.

As a USB host, Axoloti is also a handy Swiss Army knife for functions such as connecting USB midi controllers to DIN synths e.g. providing an OP-1 with DIN midi or controlling your Octatrack with USB midi.

Lots of fun to be had with an axoloti both for audio processing, effects, synthesis and midi programming - it uses a visual object interface where you connect wires on your PC screen to prebuilt objects, or you can code your own, and then upload them to the axoloti to run standalone, disconnected from your PC. Advanced programming of your own objects does require advanced programming skills however. There is a good community at their website sharing code and advice.

The Axoloti sounds like a lot of fun and the price is unbeatable. Can someone weigh in on the separately-available axocontrol?
mokomo
I don't think it is available yet, though seems to be in the pipeline.

I'd recommend gettting an old model faderfox as a very useful multi knob/dial/fader/button controller. They go for as little as $50 on eBay.
thetechnobear
Shrigg wrote:

The Axoloti sounds like a lot of fun and the price is unbeatable. Can someone weigh in on the separately-available axocontrol?

do you mean axocontrol made by Tom/Thonk?
(https://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/music-thing-axocontrol-axoloti-diy-kit/)

or the axoloti control planned by Johannes?
(won't share link as its very dated smile)

I built the former, and its nice, given its size etc... but is quite limited in 'user feedback' (with only 4 leds) . so depends upon what you want to use it for.

Axoloti Control (by Johannes of axoloti) is 'in progress', so hopefully wont be too long before some news. but of course, Johannes is busy doing everything else with Axoloti - so patience is needed. (it will be worth waiting for wink )

another option is a user project, call believotron, Ive not seen/used it, but looks quite interesting, especially compared to say Organelle.
http://community.axoloti.com/t/believotron-wanderlust-axoloti-controll er
.. as i say though, no experience of it, just seen the pictures smile
Shrigg
thetechnobear wrote:
Shrigg wrote:

do you mean axocontrol made by Tom/Thonk?
(https://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/music-thing-axocontrol-axoloti-diy-kit/)

or the axoloti control planned by Johannes?
(won't share link as its very dated smile)

I built the former, and its nice, given its size etc... but is quite limited in 'user feedback' (with only 4 leds) . so depends upon what you want to use it for.

Axoloti Control (by Johannes of axoloti) is 'in progress', so hopefully wont be too long before some news. but of course, Johannes is busy doing everything else with Axoloti - so patience is needed. (it will be worth waiting for wink )

another option is a user project, call believotron, Ive not seen/used it, but looks quite interesting, especially compared to say Organelle.
http://community.axoloti.com/t/believotron-wanderlust-axoloti-controll er
.. as i say though, no experience of it, just seen the pictures smile

Yes I was thinking the Tom/Thonk as a starting point for live tweaking.
I would use this 1. on a pedalboard for bass guitar audio processing and
2. also play/sequence it with a proper midi controller/sequencer

Furthermore, are there any good Axoloti granular patches that can get me some of that wonderful craziness I was getting out of my Red Panda Particle? I have seen some Organelle granular patches that seemed very promising and immediately usable. I must admit the organelle has the instant usability thing going for it but if I can figure out the axoloti I'm all about it. Thanks for the good discussion guys!
thetechnobear
one user has contributed a granular patch which I found fun (and as a bonus he has added axocontol for it smile)
http://community.axoloti.com/t/cpwitz-contributions/1352/36

I can't say how it compares to Red Panda or Organelles patch as not used either.

I guess we should do video demos of these things, but I guess many of us are just enjoying experimenting with it too much smile
Shrigg
thetechnobear wrote:
one user has contributed a granular patch which I found fun (and as a bonus he has added axocontol for it smile)
http://community.axoloti.com/t/cpwitz-contributions/1352/36

I can't say how it compares to Red Panda or Organelles patch as not used either.

I guess we should do video demos of these things, but I guess many of us are just enjoying experimenting with it too much smile

Nice. Is there an easy way to switch among several Axoloti patches that are stored on the microSD? Does the tom/thonk axocontrol accommodate this or does switching patches involve a trip back to the PC environment every time?
Shrigg
Another good Axoloti example. I'm getting swayed

thetechnobear
Shrigg wrote:

Nice. Is there an easy way to switch among several Axoloti patches that are stored on the microSD? Does the tom/thonk axocontrol accommodate this or does switching patches involve a trip back to the PC environment every time?

sure... you can store patches on the SD card, these can be recalled via objects.
so for example, you could recall using buttons, or midi messages or whatever else.

axoloti is designed to be used completely standalone.
I guess most show videos show it connected to computer just to show the patch.

heres are video I did without it attached to a computer.
GovernorSilver
mokomo wrote:

Thanks for the clarification. Looks like I have some homework to do, as far as figuring a way to build a case that's relatively idiot-proof (I'm bad with tools). I'd probably stick with USB controllers instead of trying to put together my own hardware UI.

I'm getting more interested now
Scot Solida
GovernorSilver wrote:
Looks like I have some homework to do, as far as figuring a way to build a case that's relatively idiot-proof (I'm bad with tools).

I've never gotten around to building a case for mine. I just screwed a few standoffs onto the bottom and set it on my desk. oops

(BTW, you may know, but there's someone in the Marketplace selling an Axoloti for $50 shipped.)
Shrigg
Scot Solida wrote:
GovernorSilver wrote:
Looks like I have some homework to do, as far as figuring a way to build a case that's relatively idiot-proof (I'm bad with tools).

(BTW, you may know, but there's someone in the Marketplace selling an Axoloti for $50 shipped.)

Thanks for the tip, I grabbed that immediately! The journey begins... thumbs up
GovernorSilver
Shrigg wrote:
Scot Solida wrote:
GovernorSilver wrote:

Thanks for the tip, I grabbed that immediately! The journey begins... thumbs up

Congrats! One reason I didn't jump on that deal is you seemed more ready.

Let us know how it goes, starting with what you decide to do about a case.
Shrigg
Thanks again for letting me in on that deal!

I'm a woodworker so the case will be fun for me. My plan is to build the smallest enclosure possible with a boutique/high end feel incorporating beautiful wooden sides. I'll post photos as it completes.
GovernorSilver
Shrigg wrote:

I'm a woodworker so the case will be fun for me. My plan is to build the smallest enclosure possible with a boutique/high end feel incorporating beautiful wooden sides. I'll post photos as it completes.

Now I'm jealous... of your woodworking skills. smile
Shrigg
GovernorSilver wrote:
Shrigg wrote:

Now I'm jealous... of your woodworking skills. smile

Don't be. I'm lucky enough to be a luthier's apprentice, I just do what I'm told. smile Now I'm pondering whether to use the solder points to add knobs and make the Axoloti into a Nord Micro Modular-like form factor.

Here's a guitar I built last year:

GovernorSilver
Damn, that's a beautiful guitar.

Let us know if you ever decide to go into business, making cases for Axoloti or whatever.
Shrigg
GovernorSilver wrote:
Damn, that's a beautiful guitar.

Let us know if you ever decide to go into business, making cases for Axoloti or whatever.

I'm thinking of a "semi-modular" approach. One that could house the axolotl plus some accepted standard knob/slider controls and/or a 25 key keyboard. What would suggestions be for those units to house with it? Korg nanocontrol 2 and/or nanokey 2? Others?
Shrigg
I now have a second Axoloti on the way. Plan is to house one for synth use and one for dedicated FX use. Will post updates as they happen. Thanks for the help everyone!

Best,
Darren
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3