MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Earthquaker Avalanche Run - any opinions?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Author Earthquaker Avalanche Run - any opinions?
smetak
Yep, another Knobs demo caught me off guard in all its quirkyness and am now seriously considering this rather off-the-wall reverb - but can't really make up my mind.

I'm a big fan of Earthquaker for a good many years now, some very impressive devices that make my day - currently, I have an Afterneath forever enslaved to a Superego and can't get enough of it.

But can't really make up my mind on the Avalanche Run - yes, the demos are quite up there, but some of the reviews aren't so glorious - heard a bit of criticism in regard to the tone, too metallic, annoying klang-like digital output. That did put me off somewhat.

Anyone get their hands on one? Tried it out? Anyone out there to throw in an opinion before I burn some more hard earned $$$ on the box?
moogboy
here let me start with examples of Avalanche Run with a Make Noise 0-Coast:

[s]http://soundcloud.com/juggableoffense/ghost-cat-rough-mix[/s]

[s]http://soundcloud.com/juggableoffense/first-transistor-vanguard-for -seardemo[/s]

[s]https://soundcloud.com/juggableoffense/the-drones-of-dunshire[/s]

I fucking love it. Easily my favorite reverb/delay combo pedal ever, and probably among my favorites if not my favorite of each of those individually as well. It just sounds good. Having the ability to tweak the EQ on the delay is really useful, and the reverb does a great job of getting out of the way even with the mix and decay turned way up. I hemmed and hawed on buying one for a long time and now that I have it I don't know what to do without it.
dan_p
Its a great pedal. Sounds good on lots of stuff.

I find it sits really well, this type of effect can be OTT but while it is quite big it still doesn't overwhelm and just sounds good. Fun to play too, it has a nice trick with the backwards setting where you hold the tap switch and it reverts to froward at the rate on the division knob.
smetak
moogboy wrote:
here let me start with examples of Avalanche Run with a Make Noise 0-Coast:

I fucking love it. Easily my favorite reverb/delay combo pedal ever, and probably among my favorites if not my favorite of each of those individually as well. It just sounds good. Having the ability to tweak the EQ on the delay is really useful, and the reverb does a great job of getting out of the way even with the mix and decay turned way up. I hemmed and hawed on buying one for a long time and now that I have it I don't know what to do without it.

Yes! Case made - will have to catch one of these - I plan to use it on guitar, but if it handles modular so well (Excellent samples! Your music did enlight my rather drab thursday morning), all the better - have a timefactor hooked up onto a doepfer 138 - maybe its time for change, eh?
Accent
Bumping this because I was looking at this pedal recently but couldn’t find an answer to a question I have. Can the expression input handle CV, or is the only option using an expression pedal?
Jason Brock
Accent wrote:
Bumping this because I was looking at this pedal recently but couldn’t find an answer to a question I have. Can the expression input handle CV, or is the only option using an expression pedal?

I don't know the answer for sure, I use a Moog expression pedal with mine. But I'll offer some other info that might sway your opinion. The manual mentions something like this (paraphrasing) "...using the expression input yields different results that can't be done by turning the knobs."

That's kind of cryptic, and maybe they are intentionally being vague because it is marketed to guitarists. But the synth-world translation is this: the expression pedal input voltage is slewed (smoothed). At least when controlling the delay time, from what I can tell (I can't remember off the top of my head if it acts the same for other parameters). So, when controlling the delay time with a pedal, you can slam on the pedal as hard as you want, going from zero to full very quickly, but the change in the delay will slower, more gradual.

I don't think that can be changed, it seems it was just a design choice that Earthquaker made. I can understand why, because it isn't easy to be precise when controlling parameters with a pedal, so smoothing out the voltage gives you more useful results. But that means even if it can accept CV from a modular synth, it wouldn't behave as expected - for example you couldn't use a square wave LFO to modulate the delay time, the result would sound like a smooth sine wave LFO instead.

Despite that, it's an excellent pedal, I like it a lot. The Reverse and Swell options make it very unique. Swell mode is basically like having a Boss Slow Gear pedal built in, very handy. And the way it behaves at extreme settings is impressive for a digital device. For example, set it to Reverse mode and then turn the delay time all the way down to zero (which according to the specs should be 0ms). Doing that on a cheaper pedal I would expect some kind of digital harshness to come out, but on the Avalanche Run instead you get some cool unexpected ring-mod type sounds out of it.
smetak
Accent wrote:

Had the same doubt and sent them an inquiry - so, right from the snake's mouth:

The Avalanche Run uses 0-3.3 Volts. The best way to interface is by using the “VCA trick” - You plug The TRS end of an insert “y” cable into the expression jack, The “Ring” plug into the audio input of the VCA, and the “Tip” plug into the audio output of the VCA. Then, you will be able to feed your cv into the cv input of the VCA. This trick will work with the expression inputs on any of our pedals.

5 volts will not harm the Avalanche Run, but the top 34% of the control voltage range will be ignored. So, attenuation is also a suitable means of interfacing the Avalanche Run with your modular.

You may need to attenuate the audio signal to avoid clipping. Or, you can use something similar to Ken Stone’s Stompbox adapter module. Should you not have an extra VCA for the trick, you can always just attenuate the CV a bit.
Jason Brock
smetak - have you used CV with yours? Just wondering if it is slewed like I mentioned. I've only used an expression pedal, but the slew seems unavoidable.
smetak
Jason Brock wrote:
smetak - have you used CV with yours? Just wondering if it is slewed like I mentioned. I've only used an expression pedal, but the slew seems unavoidable.

Nope, haven't tried yet - was waiting for an "ok" from Earthquaker. Will attempt to do so in the next following days.
Howie_Doodat
An expression pedal definitely takes this thing to another level.
Although the pedal itself can sometimes be unruly and frustratingly EXTRA at times, there are definitely multiple 'sweet spots' for all sorts of styles of music from getting just a simple slapback to an all out delayed and decayed washed out cacophony of endless repeats cascading with reversed and twisted reverberated madness.
Jason Brock
By the way, they've just released the V2 version.
https://www.earthquakerdevices.com/avalanche-run/
Seems to be actual stereo now (old version is mono FX path, stereo dry path). It also looks like the enclosure got a little bigger.
pdub
Oh wow. Stereo now! I just bought the old one recently. Oh well.
Howie_Doodat
I'm pretty sure i got the V2.
Infinity Curve
Nanoloop meets Avalanche Run

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bd9KwGCjg-h/

Most of the recent videos on my Instagram have Avalanche Run in them as well. Really digging this pedal.
smetak
Just found a comparison between the Avalanche Run mono and stereo versions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqzRgzYit0w
pdub
I did speak to Earthquaker and they said in the coming months they will be offering an upgrade for $25-35. I guess you send your pedal in to be modded.
Howie_Doodat
i think they got it right the first time.
pdub
V1 is still awesome no doubt. I could see the advantage to having V2 for stereo sources though.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Page 1 of 1