MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Fender Frontman 25R practice amp for REVERB effect
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Author Fender Frontman 25R practice amp for REVERB effect
MindMachine
I just bought this amp for $100. It was so cheap and I needed something a little less deadly and earsplitting than my Ampeg VT-22. This was super cheap, has a 10" speaker, has three tone controls, an overdrive circuit w/ foot switch input, secondary rca stereo input for cd's (or whatever to practice to), a headphone jack and a reverb circuit. So what the hell I bought it to fart around with. Well, I did not know that the reverb was a spring reverb! I thought I heard a spring rattle when I unpacked it, so I gave it a few good smacks when it was plugged in and yes... spring. I ran some different synth voices into it and it sounded okay. Better of course with more staccato sounds. Did not get to try guitar. Plugged in a mic and got great feedback and decent voice thru the reverb. Then I plugged my trusty Casio SK-1 into it and the piano sound was instant Harold Budd/Eno sound... Either micing the amp or using the headphone jack out into a mixer sounded awesome. With reverb set light or super heavy it was fantastic. When running synth sounds the lighter settings worked better, but with the cheesy drum machine or piano sound... awesome.

So for $100 I got a decent spring reverb with a small versatile solid state amplifier attached. What a total score!!! Trampoline
http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0231502000
Pockets McCoy
Maybe this is crazy, but I think the reverb in the 25R is actually one of the better guitar amp spring reverbs I've heard. I've got the 100R and always thought the reverb sounded a bit dinky. My dad (who's infinitely awesome, by the way, for being kind of old but fascinated enough by the sounds I've been making over the years to become interested in making them himself...I bought him his first electric guitar for his 60-something'th birthday and it's been wild times ever since nanners ) picked up the 25R about a year ago and the last time I saw him I gave it a test drive, and damn damn DAMN, the reverb in the 25R is FANTASTIC. Especially nice, I found, for hitting the springs with a hot enough signal to just kind of create a cloud of terrifying clangorousness that dances with your signal and spits out bliss.

...and it's also great for everything else you do with a spring reverb, I just prefer to abuse them rather than use them. Mr. Green
MindMachine
Pockets McCoy wrote:
Especially nice, I found, for hitting the springs with a hot enough signal to just kind of create a cloud of terrifying clangorousness that dances with your signal and spits out bliss.

Mr. Green

Right!!!! The hot synth signals made it sound like a 'cloud' of tone... perfect description!!!! And it did sound trippy. Like a cauldron mixing the sound up and spilling it on a canvas. But when I put plinky piano or drums into it, it was 'spring reverb' heaven. For $ 100 I am blown away. I am set for spring reverb now. I was thinking Retroverb, but this is good enough. It is better than my uncles Fostex or Furman for sure. thumbs up
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Page 1 of 1