MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Happy holidays! Please see the year-end funding drive post in the Announcements subforum. Thanks and all my love to you beautiful people.

Flame Quad CV Recorder opinions?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Flame Quad CV Recorder opinions?
FatRocky
Hi
Anyone who tried the Flame Quad CV Recorder and have some opinions?

thumbs up
insula
i have the previous version and i'm really happy with CV record module. This new version has more CV input capabilities but i have no room in my case for this new version.

anyway i really like this kind of utilities, especially during live performance.
visible cow
I would also like to hear more from owners of this module. I grew frustrated with the Modcan CV Record because it doesn't let you punch out of a recording. I found that slightly unintuitive, especially live. This seems far more flexible. I'd just like to make sure that the Flame does what it says on the tin without issue.

Although I'm also eyeing the Orthogonal ER-301 as a possible cv recorder.
FatRocky
confused it seems no body pulled the trigger on this yet
monads
No one has tried??? The clocking option looks cool. But like insula I have no space here. And I like the straightforward simplicity of the original.
FatRocky
I've seen the Analogue Systems RS450 and apart from size , its one of the most useful and great cv recorders sequencers
tthogs
Still Nada? Does anyone own this module? hmmm.....
sinistar
Had it for a little while, works great so far. Haven't tried locking it to MIDI clock yet, but will report back after doing so...
batch
I've had it for about two weeks. Have got it working but admit am still figuring out the settings as have found it less intuitive than expected. Think this is just me though and will likely make a cheat sheet.

Can confirm that the MIDI sync works great.
FatRocky
what about accuracy ?
can you play some notes in a keyboard ( a mellody or a bassline ) and will it play that back exactly the same?
batch
So I did some playing around with this last night and tonight. Overall I really like this module, it does exactly what you would expect though there are some quirks (more on this later).

Pro's - lots of functionality
1. 4 channels in either 1x4, 2x2 or 4x1 combination- this means you can record two melodies at the same time (i.e., 1V/Oct & Gate), X/Y movements of a joystick, pots or combinations there of, etc.
2. Punching in/out can be easily done with either MIDI (controlled w/ start/stop command) or analog clock, coupled with start/stop gates, so it seems really easy to record a sync'd loop of a specific length
3. The playback functions are cool - you can scan what you have recorded using CV as well as just play about with speed, start, length etc. This means there are a bunch of interesting, glitchy options which makes it very playable (note to self - try recording a melody and modulate the playback using another loop)
4. It (sort of) has non volatile memory (requires a battery)
5. Seems accurate, at least to my ear - what you get in is what you get out. Its 16bit resolution which is higher than say something like the ER101 or Pucktronix Oracle (both of which I have)

Cons - its a little unintuitive to start
1. Labels - personally I don't like the labels below jacks. Normally not really an issue, but there are 4 sections of jacks and they are not quite as distinct as they could be. This matters as I found myself sometimes trying to figure out why something wasn't working the way I expected and found I had the CV running into a record jack and vice versa. I also wish they'd used green to mean green, not black. Minor point, but still
2. The jacks used for triggering in dual mode is just plain weird. This totally had me stumped for ages. I had a clock running, and a gate and yet nothing was working and couldn't figure it out. Eventually (after a good hour of checking all my cables, voltages, etc.), I tried the other jack. And whoa, it worked. Basically in dual mode you use jacks 2 and 4, not 1 and 3. Yes this is in the manual, but its buried.

Overall I think this is great and exactly what I was hoping it to be. I actually ordered the Modcan one first, but my order was cancelled by Perfect Circuit as they couldn't get their hands on one (they are out of stock everywhere and none being made to much later in the year - I emailed them). Anyway, glad I did as now I have figure this out, I thinks much more playable.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
FatRocky
Armstrb wrote:
So I did some playing around with this last night and tonight. Overall I really like this module, it does exactly what you would expect though there are some quirks (more on this later).

Pro's - lots of functionality
1. 4 channels in either 1x4, 2x2 or 4x1 combination- this means you can record two melodies at the same time (i.e., 1V/Oct & Gate), X/Y movements of a joystick, pots or combinations there of, etc.
2. Punching in/out can be easily done with either MIDI (controlled w/ start/stop command) or analog clock, coupled with start/stop gates, so it seems really easy to record a sync'd loop of a specific length
3. The playback functions are cool - you can scan what you have recorded using CV as well as just play about with speed, start, length etc. This means there are a bunch of interesting, glitchy options which makes it very playable (note to self - try recording a melody and modulate the playback using another loop)
4. It (sort of) has non volatile memory (requires a battery)
5. Seems accurate, at least to my ear - what you get in is what you get out. Its 16bit resolution which is higher than say something like the ER101 or Pucktronix Oracle (both of which I have)

Cons - its a little unintuitive to start
1. Labels - personally I don't like the labels below jacks. Normally not really an issue, but there are 4 sections of jacks and they are not quite as distinct as they could be. This matters as I found myself sometimes trying to figure out why something wasn't working the way I expected and found I had the CV running into a record jack and vice versa. I also wish they'd used green to mean green, not black. Minor point, but still
2. The jacks used for triggering in dual mode is just plain weird. This totally had me stumped for ages. I had a clock running, and a gate and yet nothing was working and couldn't figure it out. Eventually (after a good hour of checking all my cables, voltages, etc.), I tried the other jack. And whoa, it worked. Basically in dual mode you use jacks 2 and 4, not 1 and 3. Yes this is in the manual, but its buried.

Overall I think this is great and exactly what I was hoping it to be. I actually ordered the Modcan one first, but my order was cancelled by Perfect Circuit as they couldn't get their hands on one (they are out of stock everywhere and none being made to much later in the year - I emailed them). Anyway, glad I did as now I have figure this out, I thinks much more playable.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks for the useful information:

Would you consider more intuitive a layout like this module?

batch
I did consider it and it certainly looks more intuitively laid out, but it's 3x the price ($1300!!!!) and 2.5x the HP. It's also really, really deep (78mm) so would fit in my case.

Honestly, I think the Flame Quad CV is the way to go. The UI is just challenging at the get go, but once learned it's OK. This is true of lots of modules. If I could make a wish I'd do two three things (2 easy, 1 less so)

1. Control the dual mode from the 1 & 3 OR the 2 & 4 jacks (hard to do)
2. Put a box or a line on the faceplate between the sections of jacks (this is simple and I might do myself with a sharpie)
3. Change the black print for green in the little menus

Oh and finally, the manual could be better laid out, it starts with playing versus recording and not all the info you need is in the relevant section this is why I missed the whole 2/4 jack thing.

But look - from a pure functionality perspective this thing is awesome. Does what you'd want it to do and more. The fact it's "playable" makes it more than a utility module.

Ps. This thread made me study the manual so am really thankful for that, as didn't get that instant gratification you get with some modules, but now think it's awesome
visible cow
Thanks for your very informative posts. I think I need to pick one of these up. Being able to record two completely independent cv/gate streams will be great for live use.
FatRocky
Armstrb wrote:
I did consider it and it certainly looks more intuitively laid out, but it's 3x the price ($1300!!!!) and 2.5x the HP. It's also really, really deep (78mm) so would fit in my case.

Honestly, I think the Flame Quad CV is the way to go. The UI is just challenging at the get go, but once learned it's OK. This is true of lots of modules. If I could make a wish I'd do two three things (2 easy, 1 less so)

1. Control the dual mode from the 1 & 3 OR the 2 & 4 jacks (hard to do)
2. Put a box or a line on the faceplate between the sections of jacks (this is simple and I might do myself with a sharpie)
3. Change the black print for green in the little menus

Oh and finally, the manual could be better laid out, it starts with playing versus recording and not all the info you need is in the relevant section this is why I missed the whole 2/4 jack thing.

But look - from a pure functionality perspective this thing is awesome. Does what you'd want it to do and more. The fact it's "playable" makes it more than a utility module.

Ps. This thread made me study the manual so am really thankful for that, as didn't get that instant gratification you get with some modules, but now think it's awesome

Thanks again for the info

sorry if i ask too much

How much can you record ? or how long can a recorded cv-gate sequence be?
batch
Don't apologize, that's what this place is for.

I think the manual says you can record about an hour on each channel at MIDI clock rates (96 recordings per measure). Am guessing more if you are using a slower clock.

Haven't tested this, but should be more than enough.
batch
Here is a link to the manual:

http://flame.fortschritt-musik.de/pdf/Manual_Flame_4CVRec_v100_eng.pdf
Paranormal Patroler
I can't make up my mind! Mr. Green

I'm on the fence between this and a Modcan CV Recorder. The Flame seems to do so much more but one thing that really bugs me (and I know it's kinda stupid but it still bugs me) is that you need to menu dive in order to switch the knob between Start/End loop position which will most definitely be a pain in the ass. Here are some questions that I have:

1) I've grown to like the idea of the Modcan not being clocked but acting as a tape loop which you need to speed up/down. It seems the Flame can also speed up/down a loop even though it's clocked. How nice does this sound? Is it just jumping between speeds or does it flow?

2) Is it possible set loop Start/End on the Flame so as to record different CV patterns on different parts of the same track, in the same way that you save patterns on the Modcan? I know the Flame has a punch-in option but I'd like to just start recording on a different part of a track by using the Start/End control without having to overwrite something. Is that possible?

3) Is it even possible set the Start/End of a loop using the on-board knobs? It seems like you'd need to use the CV input to be able to do that. Or does it remember the setting you switch the knob functionality between Start/End?

4) Seems like there's no Reset of the Loop mode at all! Or do can utilize the Play inputs for that? The manual says that it "autoresets" which I find troublesome.

5) I am considering using the tracks sequentially, by taking advantage of the Flame's pass-through option when Rec is in stand-by. Has anyone daisy chained tracks? Any issues with the CV?

Thank you!
fourhexagons
FWIW, I picked up the Flame from Analogue Haven and ended up returning it because it sounds like this when using the CV input.

The noise/modulation is super strong in this Pittsburgh Cell 48 DC case, and not as strong in my Intellijel TPS80w-powered case. It's not present at all when using the knobs, just the CV ins.

Has anybody else experienced this aliasing or whatever it is?

I emailed Flame about it—and cc'd AH—and only heard back from AH. Apparently, the strength of the sound varies with different power supplies. I only have these two to test.

I never made it around to testing any of the functions, though, so I can't comment any further.

I would like to hear from other Quad CV owners how theirs sounds.
batch
I haven't experienced anything like that with mine. What exactly are you plugging in? Will see if I can replicate?
fourhexagons
Armstrb wrote:
I haven't experienced anything like that with mine. What exactly are you plugging in? Will see if I can replicate?

Thanks. In the video, there's an Ansible connected to a Monome to feed notes, but it's not necessary to get the noise. It happens even when nothing is patched into the CV ins.
batch
Played around with mine tonight. I don't get anything like this at all. It's totally quiet as you would expect. There must be something wrong with that module. Did find a bug in the process, but their is new firmware that fixes it.

Look, I am honestly not sure I would recommend this module. It's a bit of a pain in the ass.
fourhexagons
Armstrb wrote:
Played around with mine tonight. I don't get anything like this at all. It's totally quiet as you would expect. There must be something wrong with that module. Did find a bug in the process, but their is new firmware that fixes it.

Look, I am honestly not sure I would recommend this module. It's a bit of a pain in the ass.

LOL. Well, thank you for testing.
Shwaj
visible cow wrote:
I would also like to hear more from owners of this module. I grew frustrated with the Modcan CV Record because it doesn't let you punch out of a recording. I found that slightly unintuitive, especially live. This seems far more flexible. I'd just like to make sure that the Flame does what it says on the tin without issue.

Although I'm also eyeing the Orthogonal ER-301 as a possible cv recorder.

Just saw this thread, and have to mention that although the 301 can record CV and reuse it for internal modulation, it doesn't have DC-coupled outputs, so you can't replay it to external modules.

The Assimil8tor will be an alternative, when it eventually appears.
XPump
the UI was hard to pick up on but eventually figured out the basics - theres a color coded guide printed on the panel which explains color backlight LEDs push button functions

( I had some Flame modules in the past and have had trouble grasping their modules functions from the manual - I couldn't grok the Flame Arppegiator manual ) The 4vox is simple - no manual needed for the basics

The punch-in / punch-out is works great ..

Paranormal Patroler's Q's:
I've grown to like the idea of the Modcan not being clocked but acting as a tape loop which you need to speed up/down. It seems the Flame can also speed up/down a loop even though it's clocked. How nice does this sound? Is it just jumping between speeds or does it flow?

i have used the knobs to do this--sounds good to my ears - me thinks its cv controllable

2) Is it possible set loop Start/End on the Flame so as to record different CV patterns on different parts of the same track, in the same way that you save patterns on the Modcan?

--unknown

I know the Flame has a punch-in option but I'd like to just start recording on a different part of a track by using the Start/End control without having to overwrite something. Is that possible?

yes

3) Is it even possible set the Start/End of a loop using the on-board knobs? It seems like you'd need to use the CV input to be able to do tha

you can set start- stop w/ knobs

4) Seems like there's no Reset of the Loop mode at all! Or do can utilize the Play inputs for that? The manual says that it "autoresets" which I find troublesome.

correct no reset ..there is a one shot gate mode

5) I am considering using the tracks sequentially, by taking advantage of the Flame's pass-through option when Rec is in stand-by. Has anyone daisy chained tracks? Any issues with the CV?

nope

I have no noise issues as described in that vid by fourhexagons -
guessing there must be something wrong with that module or perhaps the pwr supply is starved
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3