MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Best editor for TX802? (2016 edition)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Author Best editor for TX802? (2016 edition)
cyclopeatron
I just picked up a Yamaha TX802. I'm interesting in exploring FM synthesis and it seems like a great place to start. Plus it was dirt cheap. I am totally new to this kind of synthesis - I have only worked the analog modular systems up until now.

Editing off the front panel of the TX802 is tough so I want to get editor software for my MacBook. I know there are several threads around the internet touting various software options, but these threads are kind of confusing to read and many are out of date. So I want to pose these questions to the MW community here at the end of 2016 to get the latest skinny:

What's your favorite software for FM voice and performance crafting on TX802?

Also - if an editor advertises itself as working on the DX7, will it work on the TX802?

Thanks!
peAk
I just got a TX7 and I am using this which works absolutely fantastic

http://www.fm-alive.com/pages/DXM.aspx

Midiquest is probably the best & most powerful but very expensive

https://www.squest.com/Products/MidiQuest11/Instruments/YamahaTX802/in dex.html
ignatius
Midiquest can be a real shit show for some synths.. i've had various experiences with it. it's kinda dumb in some ways. sometimes works ok but often just doesn't communicate well w/from computer to midi device.

i gave up using it a couple years ago.
booger
I had a TX802 a while back. It was a fantastic synth. I used a PC editing program (that I can't recall). It was kind of a PITA because it wasn't in real time. All edits had to be sent to the synth before you could hear them. It also came with an extensive library of sounds which was nice. I gave up on the editor and ended up using patches from the library. It was like running 8 different DX7s in one box at the same time.
bnek
bnek
I'm not sure but I think dx7 editors will work with a tx802. You wouldn't have access to the multitimbral mode but should still be able to send patches in single mode? If so it's worth trying dexed: https://asb2m10.github.io/dexed/ It's a dx7 emulation vst but also works as realtime editor for dx7. I haven't used it for a while but it worked well as an editor when I did.
coffeeshopped
Any DX7 editor should work as an editor for the TX802. The 802 is 8-part multitimbral, and if you're using an editor, the editor will be editing whichever voice you have currently selected on the 802. Also, any sysex dumps you can find for the DX7 should work on the 802.

Dexed should work, and is free!

Also, if you have an iPad, I'm the creator of an app called Patch Base, which has editors for a lot of different synths, including the TX802. It's here: https://coffeeshopped.com/patch-base

I hope that helps!
kx173
Fractional scaling is not implemented in DX7 so its editor won't allow to edit these parameters on the 802...
UpAndDown
2nd for Dexed - is really good - doubles as hardware editor/software sound generator too.
bandenoire
has anyone successfully edited the tx802 with dexed? i've never been able to get it to work with it. tx7, yes, but never the tx802. i vaguely remember the developer behind dexed had it on the to-do list but i never saw anything come of it.
NickLimegrove
bandenoire wrote:
has anyone successfully edited the tx802 with dexed? i've never been able to get it to work with it. tx7, yes, but never the tx802. i vaguely remember the developer behind dexed had it on the to-do list but i never saw anything come of it.

I've been using Dexed with my TX802 for about three years now and never had a problem. Editing, transmitting, receiving, all work flawlessly for me. I think there was someone on GitHub reporting compatibility issues, but I've never experienced any.*

FM Alive, on the other hand, I could never make work properly. It always crashes (on my Machine, Win7/64) within the first one or two minutes of a session.

*) ...which doesn't mean Dexed can do everything the 802 can. Fractional scaling, Performance editing, output assignment... the many things the TX802 has in addition to the DX7 can't be accessed via Dexed.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Page 1 of 1