How do you use fixed filters?

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., lisa

Ceres
Wiggling with Experience

How do you use fixed filters?

Post by Ceres » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:34 pm

I mean filters without CV. I notice some classics like the Moog modular filterbank, Serge resonate EQ, buchla fixed filters. I don't see a lot of these in modern systems. Do you have one? Are there any particular tips or tricks you like to use them for?

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:53 pm

Great for isolating certain bands of sound from processed drums, radios, acoustic instruments, etc.

Accentuate certain frequencies when emulating acoustic instruments. Like a clarinet can get raspy when played louder so you wiggle on certain notes of passages. Nice for timpani, etc.

Clean up synth voices. I'll use one instead of a hi pass vcf if I just want to take a little something off of a sound.

That's how I use them. Now that I think about it though, both of mine are resonant. I imagine I would use a classic FFB the same way.
FS: Pedals and Euro modules, Delta Labs, dotcom Q128 for 37.00
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=233636&p=3287718&h ... e#p3287718

Cat-A-Tonic
Lobsters love Muff

Post by Cat-A-Tonic » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:46 pm

MindMachine wrote:Great for isolating certain bands of sound from processed drums, radios, acoustic instruments, etc.

Accentuate certain frequencies when emulating acoustic instruments. Like a clarinet can get raspy when played louder so you wiggle on certain notes of passages. Nice for timpani, etc.

Clean up synth voices. I'll use one instead of a hi pass vcf if I just want to take a little something off of a sound.

That's how I use them. Now that I think about it though, both of mine are resonant. I imagine I would use a classic FFB the same way.
^This (sometimes I wish we had a LIKE :tu: button here)

+ tuning feedback loops

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:10 pm

Also if you have one with two or more outputs, like the Synthesizers.com one with expander, the big COTK one or the Modcan B one:

* you can create some interesting stereo effects by panning some frequencies left and some right. And I'm guessing it might sound amazing in a quad or 5.1 surround system to take 4 or 5 bands and have them continually rotating to the right while 4 or 5 different bands are continually rotating to the left?! :eek: :hyper:

* create interesting timbre switching/morphing by running different bands of outputs into a sequential switch or multi input panner like the Modcan Scanner or SSL Segwencer

* process some source material that has radically shifting frequency content and patch certain FFB outputs to several envelope followers to trigger events when certain frequencies are predominant

* process different bands through different effects like delays and reverbs for unusual effects.

Actually even with single output FFBs the above is a handy tool to effects processing, just mult your original signal, run the dry signal to a mixer and then with the FFB dial in the frequency content you want to be sent to the effect and run the effect output to the mixer separately. EDIT: like MindMachine already mentioned! :doh: :oops:

InnnerSight
Wiggling with Experience

Post by InnnerSight » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:08 am

Using a couple of MakeNoise's FXDf you can split out different parts of the spectrum on one signal and replace it with the same band from another signal to make different timbres.

moremagic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by moremagic » Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:51 am

one of my favorite things to do with the fxdf is to take two outputs and ring mod them

AlanP
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by AlanP » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:18 am

The Serge Resonant EQ is fun to just patch white noise into one input, feed the output back into the second input, and play with the sliders and input attenuators.

ranix

Post by ranix » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:46 pm

I have the dotcom fixed filter bank with the aid module that sends each frequency band to its own output. I put an octal VCA right next to it. It's a lot of fun to modulate the amplitude of 8 frequency bands with LFOs, but I've just started experimenting with it.

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:16 am

Multiband ____________.
(Insert any word in space above).

ranix

Post by ranix » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:57 pm

mt3 wrote:Multiband ____________.
drifting

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:05 pm

ranix wrote:
drifting
Do you mean "slew limiter" or the necessity for an allpass output to eliminate phase issues when mixing back with the original signal?
:banana:

calaveras
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by calaveras » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:08 pm

With the FxDf I like to run the outputs to a sequential switch, then from there to a LPG and a reverb or delay line.
It can sound like pretty little arpegs, or crazy polyrhthymic madness.

When I make perc sounds I really like jamming some white noise into a narrow band, then LPG-ing it.

Of course there is the fun thing of multing a signal, running one side through a filter, inverting it and mixing it with the original to create a nice cut at that freq. Some filters already invert though, so it isn't always necessary to invert it again.

ranix

Post by ranix » Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:57 am

mt3 wrote:
ranix wrote:
drifting
Do you mean "slew limiter" or the necessity for an allpass output to eliminate phase issues when mixing back with the original signal?
:banana:
no I mean like japanese cars and eurobeat :goo:

cupwise
Wiggling with Experience

Post by cupwise » Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:33 am

love the way this guy uses the polymoog resonators in this video. saw it years ago and wanted one of these things so bad. finally got one a while ago, the diy one for euro. anyway, i love how he gets sounds like tubas etc from the synth by using the resonators like a formant filter. makes me wonder if there is some info somewhere about what freqs to set fixed res filters to, to kind of emulate some specific things like this (i'm guessing emulating brass is prob where it works best).

cant figure out how to embed video! anyway, i'm sure prob a lot of ppl at MW have seen this..

calaveras
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by calaveras » Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:54 am

like this
[video] [/video]
you just change https to http in the link.

it's fookin annoyin as 'ell.
And yeah, I keep meaning to make one of those DIY Polymoog modules.
Who makes that again? FCUK? Yu-Synth?

cupwise
Wiggling with Experience

Post by cupwise » Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:45 am

Stevie Ray
Common Wiggler

Post by Stevie Ray » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:51 pm

AlanP wrote:The Serge Resonant EQ is fun to just patch white noise into one input, feed the output back into the second input, and play with the sliders and input attenuators.
Another vote for the Serge Resonant EQ. I can lose myself for hours tweaking that, particularly with external signals.

We're all sort of conditioned to want Voltage Controlled Everything, but experimenting with a good-quality static filter bank is an almost Zen experience :goo:

FetidEye
demonic space drone

Post by FetidEye » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:40 pm

mostly I resonate sounds with them (Serge EQ and Resonator)
input = some small tick or low repeating pattern. I boost certain bands and use feedback and suddenly it becomes an organic (or very industrial mechanical) sound.
Then I modulate the original source and it gets even more fun!

Or distort drum / persussive sounds (feedback on the Serge is very nice)

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”