MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

New CEM3340 :)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author New CEM3340 :)
jurekprzezdziecki
Just got the chips! Any suggestions for a good start? I thought about SH101 VCO clone maybe?

ashleym
Exciting times ahead.

Do a bit more than the SH101 VCO. Use all the outputs and syncs at least. Remind yourself where the chips were originally used and take inspiration from the exotic ones like the Spirit
vtl5c3
Perhaps Juergen Haible's dual VCO:

http://jhaible.com/legacy/tonline_stuff/hj2vco.gif

Does through zero FM.
abelovesfun
My apologies if this has been posted before - how does one go about ordering the ICs? I read the post for a Curtis VCO group buy and it seemed very confusing and expensive.
qfactor
Here is Susan's contact on the chips. They sell at US$15 per chip.
susanonchip@covad.net
metel909
qfactor wrote:
susanonchip@covad.net

thank you!!!
Fernando
I have the magazine article (Digisound-80, ETI 1980?) with an excellent CEM3340 VCO schematics (and some 3340 too) It is maybe the most complete VCO I've seen.
(some mention about the Digisound-80 VCO here: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=143298&sid=818467543 93bcbe4ca09fbf9db6f4621 )

I will not be able to find it "fast" but I will "soon" (I'm resurrecting my synth project after a 5 years or so pause)
I will scan the article (I hope is in good shape still!) as soon as I bring all home
Fernando
don't wait for me, is all here:

http://www.digisound80.co.uk/digisound/modules/80-2.htm

http://www.digisound80.co.uk/digisound/modules/modules.htm
xbted
I erased my post, it was just kinda mean sounding. I'm not mean.
jurekprzezdziecki
vtl5c3 wrote:
Perhaps Juergen Haible's dual VCO:

http://jhaible.com/legacy/tonline_stuff/hj2vco.gif

Does through zero FM.

that's very cool! thanks for that.
jurekprzezdziecki
abelovesfun wrote:
My apologies if this has been posted before - how does one go about ordering the ICs? I read the post for a Curtis VCO group buy and it seemed very confusing and expensive.

send email to suzan, pay for chips, get the parcel fast - simple as that:)
xbted
jurekprzezdziecki wrote:
abelovesfun wrote:

Yep, simple as paying for chips, 35 dollars for shipping, plus paypal, plus customs, plus VAT, get it fast... so simple. However, write Susan, not Suzan.
jurekprzezdziecki
xbted wrote:
jurekprzezdziecki wrote:
abelovesfun wrote:

Yep, simple as paying for chips, 35 dollars for shipping, plus paypal, plus customs, plus VAT, get it fast... so simple. However, write Susan, not Suzan.

money is just a paper touched by million dirty hands...
Datasette
Fernando wrote:
I have the magazine article (Digisound-80, ETI 1980?) with an excellent CEM3340 VCO schematics (and some 3340 too) It is maybe the most complete VCO I've seen.
(some mention about the Digisound-80 VCO here: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=143298&sid=818467543 93bcbe4ca09fbf9db6f4621 )

I will not be able to find it "fast" but I will "soon" (I'm resurrecting my synth project after a 5 years or so pause)
I will scan the article (I hope is in good shape still!) as soon as I bring all home

My VCO is free and mostly based on that Schematics and the Datasheet, which are astoninglishly similar. Just have to wait for rev2 boards and hope they are working.

Further there are excellent projects from Timo and NLC , both completly SMD.

That are all I am aware of, so plenty to choose. I think there are maybe even more.

Also a member called Sanders has a thread with Digisound Low Part PCBs.
xbted
jurekprzezdziecki wrote:
xbted wrote:
jurekprzezdziecki wrote:
abelovesfun wrote:

You, sir, are absolutely correct! Nothing in life is certain but death, taxes and paypal fees.
jurekprzezdziecki
xbted wrote:
jurekprzezdziecki wrote:
xbted wrote:
jurekprzezdziecki wrote:
abelovesfun wrote:

You, sir, are absolutely correct! Nothing in life is certain but death, taxes and paypal fees.

"You can't cheat death but you can cheat taxes" - Dalai Lama
xbted
This is what I got in the mail today, maybe you could try one out! It's from Non Linear Circuits!

[/img]
nvining
A project I've been considering: since the CEM3340 is back in production, and since the IT122 dual matched transistor pair is still available from LT, and since you could probably replace the VCAs with whatever you have lying around like a V2164, it would be A Lot Of Fun to do a Memorymoog voice. I don't know if you'd bust it into a module, or make it another exciting Polysynth Project like the guy who is doing the Jupiter 8 and Scott Rider's crowBX, but it'd be a fun project providing hours of gleeful entertainment and squinting at schematics for somebody with the right sort of twisted mindset.
andrewF
Fernando wrote:

Hi Fernando
long time no see!
w00t
jurekprzezdziecki
xbted wrote:
This is what I got in the mail today, maybe you could try one out! It's from Non Linear Circuits!

[/img]

this looks very cool. i will look on its site. thanks.
JenniferG
qfactor wrote:
susanonchip@covad.net

Will she sell just one and ship it for like $5? I think their actual shipping cost for somethign this small should be like $2.50.

Or do they want you to buy like 10 at a time? I suppose I could sell off the extras on ebay or others here if that is the case.

Really intersted in the OpenCEM project.
andrewF
I'm sure she will sell one.

As for shipping, my 1st batch of 10 to Australia was very cheap, can't remember exactly but about $15.
My 2nd order of 20 chips was $35 shipping.....I dunno hmmm.....
Best is to ask her for cheap shipping and see what she offers.
TimoRozendal
andrewF wrote:
I'm sure she will sell one.

As for shipping, my 1st batch of 10 to Australia was very cheap, can't remember exactly but about $15.
My 2nd order of 20 chips was $35 shipping.....I dunno hmmm.....
Best is to ask her for cheap shipping and see what she offers.

shipping has increased since some packages where lost
she won't do cheaper international shipping
JenniferG
If I wanted to learn the ins and outs of this IC, do I just read the old original data sheet or is there a newer data sheet for this re-release.

Did a quick search on Google and the only data sheets I see so far are scans of the old Curtis data sheets.
andrewF
JenniferG wrote:
If I wanted to learn the ins and outs of this IC, do I just read the old original data sheet or is there a newer data sheet for this re-release.

Did a quick search on Google and the only data sheets I see so far are scans of the old Curtis data sheets.

Don't know of a newer datasheet
There is this Electronotes article by Thomas Henry

I used this datasheet, it covers most of the details.
Also one, again by Thomas, in Polyphony.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3