MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Do you make music at work?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Do you make music at work?
Trilo
I'm often tired and uninspired when I get home from work. During work it seems like I have a million ideas that I can't wait to try.

I've been thinking about getting an IPad so I can edit and program Ableton projects on my lunch break.

Anyone work on music at work? How? With what?
drowld
Yeah i use my op-1 sometimes during lunch or break.
usually the inspirations kick while i'm on the computer and i can't take my break Dead Banana

But the ipad is nice too. You can do a lot with it
Trilo
The OP-1 looks great! Excellent choice.

I'm coming to find that Ableton doesn't run standalone on an IPad though... waah
Futuresound
I've thought about setting up a small Euro system at work.

But I know myself and I can't - if I did, I would do nothing but patch all day.
ignatius
i made two albums at work wink

i expect i'll do more of this once new synth shop opens.

[bandcamp width=100% height=120 album=2232440940 size=large bgcol=ffffff linkcol=0687f5 tracklist=false artwork=small]

[bandcamp width=100% height=120 album=1822455977 size=large bgcol=ffffff linkcol=0687f5 tracklist=false artwork=small]
johny_gtr
It's hard to concentrate to make music if anyone is near for me.
Meditation or 0.5-1 hour nap will help to relax and refresh your power to create some new music.
systmcrsh
Trilo wrote:
I'm often tired and uninspired when I get home from work.

had that problem too... i would be totally spent and exhausted when i got home from work. then, i began smoking marijuana again and i wasnt tired and exhausted. whatever works wink
PhineasFreak
i guess its not such a big deal when you work in a studio/workshop with prototype modules etc...
TheRosskonian
I rarely record, but, at the very least I will have a midi keyboard handy to practice and play on my lunch break. Other times I'll noodle around with a volca or something else that fits in a backpack that I can take in. I spend way too many days at work to not leverage a regular lunch in some type of way.

More along those lines, I've adopted the habit of waking up an hour earlier than necessary in the morning to work on music. You are at your freshest and it's a great feeling starting your day off working on the most important thing to you rather than TPS reports.
Trilo
ignatius wrote:

Oh you cheater!

Is it synth overload for you then? Or does the inspiration never stop with the steady influx of new products and ideas?
ignatius
Trilo wrote:
ignatius wrote:

Oh you cheater!

Is it synth overload for you then? Or does the inspiration never stop with the steady influx of new products and ideas?

there were plenty of long slow days at the MW store so i would always bring my little tascam recorder and just patch for fun and see where it went. all that stuff in those releases happened that way.

but now that the shop's closed i only record at home. though that'll change once new shop opens wink
hyena
i teach ableton live and sound design for work in a school so yes, i do music at work but not "my" music hihi
but since the appearance of reaktor 6 i've done a shitload of stuff on the train on my way back home grin
sometimes just sketching things up that i'd later translate to the 12u euro system.
noisejockey
My OP-1 is a constant companion on my commute (bus). Once at work I'm too slammed, but I sometimes get two full hours of practice a day on that keyboard.
david_r
Futuresound wrote:
I've thought about setting up a small Euro system at work.

But I know myself and I can't - if I did, I would do nothing but patch all day.

this is what happens when I work from home. i have to be in another room without the modular to get anything done, even then it's tuff knowing it's so close by
beepbeep
I often get melodic ideas at work, so I go for a walk with a portable recorder or my iphone and sing the melody into it.
FearKonstruktor
I used to make some sound at my previous work, but I love the new one and it's even connected to music, so I've stopped now)))
minimalist
I have thought about this a lot. I also get lots of ideas while on my way to work, at work and again on my way home from work. Aside from being away from home, what these all have in common is that I am usually listening to music which inspires me.

At home I have other responsibilities; I'm usually tired and I'm not enough of an ass to ignore my wife when she wants to talk to me about her day.

However, tonight she is out with friends and I have been jamming for the last 5 hours. Rockin' Banana!

I should go to bed....
ExtrasensoryPerception
I always have my Volca Keys with me...so much fun on the bus in the morning, and during lunch break as well.
beepbeep
This is my situation as well. I've been the jerk who ignores his significant other to play music in the past. Now I'm trying to strike a balance where I spend time with my live-in girlfriend and find time to play music.

minimalist wrote:

At home I have other responsibilities; I'm usually tired and I'm not enough of an ass to ignore my wife when she wants to talk to me about her day.
However, tonight she is out with friends and I have been jamming for the last 5 hours. Rockin' Banana!
rayjohnson
i wish
sallyshapirofreak
ive been delivery driving for 3 years. 12 hour shifts 4 days a week. when im not on the road im making noise in the store's huge break room. yup yup!
racooniac
i sit in front of my private notebook with cubase on it all day at work but i am too busy working so i cant do shit.

but when i travel home with the train i start it up and make a serum patch or something grin
leeski
Hacking up me jams into trax as work is baby sitting some other stuff which is quite a break.
Laptop flys the production, ITB mixing is good nowadays applause
wogglebug
beepbeep wrote:
I often get melodic ideas at work, so I go for a walk with a portable recorder or my iphone and sing the melody into it.

I do that, too. I also get great ideas while I am out running and record them with my phone.
monolithicfungus
My work computer has Adobe Suite pre-loaded , which includes Premiere. I know that's a video editing app but has anyone used it for manipulating sound? Interested to hear feedback
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2