MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Plumbutter v. Cocoquantus (Questions, a few)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Ciat-Lonbarde  
Author Plumbutter v. Cocoquantus (Questions, a few)
0014x
I've had my eye on CL gear for a little over a month. I am still doing a ton of research, but ultimately, want to come to a final decision with what to start with. I guess I could buy a bunch of CL gear all at once but I want to have a feel for it first to know if it's even something that will work for me.

This may sound sort of limiting, but for the sake of simplicity, is the Plumbutter a weird sound generator & the Cocoquantus a sampler/modulator/delay/looper?

I am asking because I am trying to do away with some of my gear (mainly effects pedals) but at the same time, am interested in the Red Panda Particle & LoFi Junky. If I am understanding this correctly, it appears the Cocoquantus is more than capable of reproducing a combination of effects from both of these pedals, is that correct?

I am even considering selling the Phenol so it can be replaces by the Plumbutter but also, what I am thinking is, of the two, the Phenol is the more conventional synth/modulator while the Plumbutter is more expressive and free, so to speak.

Should I start with the Coco (since it appears to be more capable of altering my sounds) and then go for the Plumbutter later (since this seems to be more of a standalone instrument?

My instruments currently consist of: DSI Prophet '08, Kilpatrick Phenol & Bastl Microgranny--amongst a few others.
noisejockey
"Which CL instrument first?" is a common question here; I think your analysis is largely correct. PB is a rhythmic sound generator and CQ is a lo-for delay and looper. Since you've got a lot of other instruments, CQ would have immediate benefit (do remember that it's oscillators can generate audio too, not just delay behavior modulation).

The CQ sounds very unlike the Red Panda Particle. It's grimy, stuttery, 8-bit; the Particle is a lot silkier due to its granular sound engine. It also won't warble pitch like the LFJunkie. But nothing else sounds like the CQ. The amount of modulation possibilities will support basic delays but that's ignoring most of the fun, and most of the point of the design.

I own both, and got the CQ first.
0014x
noisejockey wrote:
"Which CL instrument first?" is a common question here; I think your analysis is largely correct. PB is a rhythmic sound generator and CQ is a lo-for delay and looper. Since you've got a lot of other instruments, CQ would have immediate benefit (do remember that it's oscillators can generate audio too, not just delay behavior modulation).

The CQ sounds very unlike the Red Panda Particle. It's grimy, stuttery, 8-bit; the Particle is a lot silkier due to its granular sound engine. It also won't warble pitch like the LFJunkie. But nothing else sounds like the CQ. The amount of modulation possibilities will support basic delays but that's ignoring most of the fun, and most of the point of the design.

I own both, and got the CQ first.

Thanks for all the info re: Red Panda Particle & LoFi v. Coco. I am listening to your Soundcloud--a wealth of examples there. Thank you!
mrbloor
What Nathan said. Coco is a good start, I would also add take your time with it. These instruments are a little deep, the more time you spend with them the better the relationship. If you gel with the coco, you will end up with a plumbutter for sure but the coco will add a lot to your present system and more often than not, open up new avenues and ways of working. Best of luck.
0014x
Thank you for all that.
ExtrasensoryPerception
Coco first!!!!! you'll love it!
clarte
Listen to this for the plumbutter sound

https://gameoflife.bandcamp.com/album/hoan-kiem-chess-team-lonbardier

And this for the coco

https://kozepz.bandcamp.com/album/co-ected

These are two amazing albums and great showcases of the potential these instruments contain.

The plumbutter might be a good first step depending on what you want to achieve.
ignacio
Just got a Plumbutter last weekend. Digging in this weekend. Will report back. First foray into CL territory. Wish me luck.
The Grump
I'd say go with the Coco. That thing will change your life forever. The PB is awesome, too, but the Cocoquantus is the Transdimensional Portal Key. Period.
jimmie
Personally I'd take Plumbutter over Cocoquantus lol
The Grump
jimmie wrote:

Then that is what you should do, and I'm sure you have your reasons for doing so.
jimmie
The Grump wrote:
jimmie wrote:

Then that is what you should do, and I'm sure you have your reasons for doing so.

Yeah, I have both, so my opinion is from using them both. Coco is a great machine of course Mr. Green
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Ciat-Lonbarde  
Page 1 of 1