MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

New Stand-Alone MPC
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25  Next [all]
Author New Stand-Alone MPC
rockreid
http://fr.m.audiofanzine.com/akai/mpc/forums/t.631279,le-standalone-et -de-retour-chez-akai-avec-la-mpc-live.html

Up for FCC approval. So it have wireless capabilities it seems. Vey intessting times we live in....
flo
Interesting, let's hope they don't fuck this up (or JJ to the rescue). Looks like they're recycling the MPC Touch enclosure.
IR
I bet it'll be just as buggy as their other recent samplers.
rockreid
https://fccid.io/pdf.php?id=3190872
Link to Owners Manual

Not too much info, just basicspecs, I/O and Functions. No real detail on operations.
nearly ghost
Looks interesting! Going through something of a hardware sampler obsession atm..
CF3
As a multi-decade MPC user all I can say is:

applause applause applause applause applause applause applause

Now, will I buy one? They're gonna have to work for it...... Impress me.
Khyber Pass
At least it's not ugly as shit, like the DSI Pioneer thing. It'll be interesting to see how they compare. But I wish they could just revisit the MPC2000XL properly already. Is that so hard? Oh, well. Time will show, maybe they got it right this time. w00t
Sinamsis
Oh wow. That's huge. Looks like just what I've been looking for. I know people hate on it but I'm pretty happy with my 5000. The touch display on this could be a HUGE benefit for chopping samples. Computer connectivity without complete reliance on a computer is a big benefit. I have mixed feelings about a smaller form factor. To me an MPC is supposed to be a behemoth. Hopefully they don't sacrifice pad quality. And hopefully they iron out the OS before release so this thing has a fighting chance. Only two MIDI out ports seems like a mistake to me but whatever, again a compromise for size. Only 4 audio outs aside from the main outs. No ADAT for audio. It means something about USB for MIDI and audio. So does that mean it can double as an audio interface? Also, I assume there's a phono preamp right? 2 GB RAM is nice, as is the built in HD with option to add SATA drive if desired. I hope they will keep the ability to stream 8 tracks of audio off the HD without having to load it into RAM. Didn't see specs on sample rate, file compatibility, etc. Bottom line, I find this very exciting. It could be a total disappointment but I'm glad they're listening to folks who don't want their sampler tied to their computer (I personally like having both options).
roger
really interesting, been toying with the idea of getting an mpc to get away from the computer, but i've been hesitant because currently i use maschine and often times i still switch to the computer to edit stuff more quickly on a bigger, graphical screen. now this could be a good alternative. or it might cause NI to get off they chairs and make a maschine equivalent with vst(i) and all the good stuff.
rockreid
Speculation on GS is that this MPC Live stand alone will be $899 or so and an upcoming flagship model will be around $1999. This flagship (MPC Eclipse?) will be revealed at Winter NAMM.
Paranormal Patroler
This got me excited. I wonder if you can make complete tracks on this, that would be great!
drowld
The hd inside is probably ssd.
Would have loved 8 out.
Hopefully we can make complete tracks in it.

We need akai not fucking this up.
And chances are small Dead Banana

We should make a petition to ask akai not to fuck this up haha
Robscorch
Hopes are high for this. Rasta-nana

Seriously DONT FUCK THIS UP AKAI. evil
Paranormal Patroler
drowld wrote:
The hd inside is probably ssd.
Would have loved 8 out.
Hopefully we can make complete tracks in it.

hmmm..... Has any MPC been able to do that? I don't think I need a lot of tracks, just to be able to make a decent mix. I can even use my audio-to-usb card if that's an option with them USB3 ports to record more than one tracks ..

drowld wrote:
We should make a petition to ask akai not to fuck this up haha

Mr. Green
ignatius
when the mpc touch came out my first thought was "why isn't it just a standalone unit?" so is nice to see this happening.

i'm curious about full specs etc. wait and see i guess. looks great though.
CF3
Paranormal Patroler wrote:
hmmm..... Has any MPC been able to do that? I don't think I need a lot of tracks, just to be able to make a decent mix. I can even use my audio-to-usb card if that's an option with them USB3 ports to record more than one tracks ..

MPC2500,60,60mkII,3000,4000,2000.....
tebs213
Caught this today

http://www.sequencer.de/synthesizer/viewtopic.php?p=1391443#p1391443
Sinamsis
Dude I'm crazy enough to think about putting my 5000 on the chopping block before prices drop. Ha I think it's just craziness and it will pass. But right now I feel the MPC is definitely getting under utilized because I can manage samples more easily/quickly in Ableton. I still can't bring myself to let it go because I love having an MPC in the studio and some days I just want to get away from the computer. If I had a hybrid unit that was capable of both it would really change my work flow.

Even if these are announced next week though, it'll be a while before we see them. And even longer before a stable OS is achieved im afraid. The other question I have is which form factor seems more appealing to me. There is certain appeal to a small unit with a touch screen. I think I'd miss the knobs and sliders though. The price difference if remotely accurate seems pretty wide. It makes me wonder what the "flagship" will offer. Hopefully a built in VA synth is not the selling point like the 5000. Haha. The gearslut in me says get both without knowing any facts. Ha but I will say they'll have to fuck it up pretty bad to keep me from getting at least one of them. I do love my 5000 but the concept of a modern hardware MPC has me really interested. Hybrid is even better.
Sinamsis
Oh... and MIDI over USB. That means compatibility with things like the FH-1 and Shuttle Control. Fuck yeah.
vasculator
that looks amazing. if they can pull it off and get it working to spec, i'll have to try one.
bobbylandry
If this this is right and has the MPC workflow with no major problems I'm completely in. The MPC1000 with the JJOS is how I think about electronic music but mine is slowly breaking down and I can't commit to the price of getting it fully updated so it hasn't been used much lately. As long as this new one lets me sample, do non-destructive edits, mute arrangements, and not break I might finally get my face out of the computer again.

Someone made a "complete track" comment above and had some rebuttal, and I can see both sides of that. An MPC for actually completing something has never worked for me, but I come from the rock band world and everything has to get recorded as its own track and mixed traditionally as a separate step anyway. The mix is a whole other performance for me so any shortcomings there won't put me off as much as it will for others. If it does get a lot of that part of the job done though, even better.
AdamJay
Looks from FCC page measurements to be around 8"x16"

Cool
oaklandzzzoo
They should hire dude from JJOS to do the firmware, and get a really really good translator to help with the manual.
poppinger
CF3 wrote:
Now, will I buy one? They're gonna have to work for it...... Impress me.

This is it right here.

It's also amusing to me that they went all in on the Maschine/Push/computer controller bandwagon for a generation and tried to create their own computer software. Then suddenly they realized that everyone was going in the opposite direction with standalone stuff for live sets and things.

oaklandzzzoo wrote:
They should hire dude from JJOS to do the firmware, and get a really really good translator to help with the manual.

Totally agree. I hope the guy who writes JJOS gets hired somewhere for one of these sampling boxes.
tim gueguen
Seeing the picture it makes me think of the late model Grundig Satellit portable shortwave receivers.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25  Next [all]
Page 1 of 25