MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index

FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Miniwave discontinued
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Author Miniwave discontinued

chamomileshark

In case you are not on the mailing list, I got this just now

"Over the years, we have sold 100's of Grant Richters innovative MiniWave wave table module but now it's time to say goodbye to this fantastic device.

Unfortunately, some of the parts are getting hard to source.

It features 256 wave lookups with a sawtooth input or get a huge variety of distortion effects with other inputs. Plus, it's a quantizer.

Order now and get an extra 256 wave "Socket Rocket" free.

Check out the MW2090 Manual and the waveform manuals below.
http://www.blacet.com/manuals.html

****Only five Kits left, order today!****

Have a safe and enjoyable Thanksgiving!"

LeftyLogic

Very sad to hear about this... I was lucky enough to get my hands on a Time Machine when he sold off the last few of those kits, but I don't think I'll be able to get one of these. waah

Seth

rezzn8r

Wow. Sad news indeed, but I totally understand the decision with regards to parts availability.
Get 'em while you can, kids. One of the most versatile modules out there. I would be scooping up a couple, if I didn't already own 4 of them oops

Moog$FooL$

ok..... i don't own one & i'm on the fence. what's so great about it?? eek!

Clive

Moog$FooL$ wrote:
ok..... i don't own one & i'm on the fence. what's so great about it?? eek!

I have the Megawave - on the face of it, it's a wavetable player but you could also think of it as a large collection of transfer functions. So, while you can scan tables you can also address single pages dynamically for wavefolding and quantization.

fracmonkey

The Megawave is available in Euro and is an enhanced version. Grant Richter design with others. Malekko product. Check it out on Analogue Haven for the specs and history via Grant. Interesting!

Moog$FooL$

hey folks.... thanx for the info/replies. love
i even found & watched rezzn8r demoes..... nice!! thumbs up

i like that Modcan has a miniwave.

anyways..... wonder if John is gonna replace it with something?? hmmm..... for that matter, when's he gonna release something new. very frustrating

davidh

I installed it into a Classic VCO to mimic a Waveform City, great device SlayerBadger!

werock

What are the hard to source parts in the Miniwave?

davidh

good question
wonder if it the same part(s) that those made Carry stops the WFC

e-grad

Just had quick glance at the BOM. Any part seems to be readily available ATM.

However, the internet says, that 27c512 is out of production since a couple of years. Thus any 27c512 currently for sale would be NOS. However, I've no idea whether this holds true or not.

Moog$FooL$

looks like Mouser have have many of those..... just a quick look tells me so. seriously, i just don't get it

fracmonkey

"Subject: Blacet Research: Mini Wave Discontinued?---Update

There was considerably more interest in the MW than anticipated. (The five kits sold in two hours.)

The stockroom came up with two more PCBs and these have been kitted. One is sold, so one left.

We did find parts for about 10 more kits (we can also supply assembled modules, of course). We will order PCBs to kit these if demand warrants. Expect a 2-3 week delay.

The free MWSR (Socket Rocket) will still be included for a limited time.

All parts are rising in cost in general but we have kept retail prices the same for a considerable period. But we will hold the MW price the same until the end of the year.

That said, however, it is probably time to pick one up!"

e-grad

Moog$FooL$ wrote:
looks like Mouser have have many of those..... just a quick look tells me so. seriously, i just don't get it

e-grad wrote:
Just had quick glance at the BOM. Any part seems to be readily available ATM.

However, Blacet wrote:
Quote:
Unfortunately, some of the parts are getting hard to source.

That's why I've guessed that the 27c215 might be the culprit. However, I think the prices for the ADC and DAC rather steep, too. Rising prices for these parts might have messed up Blacet's calculation.

drumsofd00m

^ Can anybody tell with authority whether the converters used in MWs and also Wiard WFCs have ever changed since ca. 2000, and if they were identical or different between those two modules in the first place?
I already asked John B. and Cary Grace, but it seems the knowledge was lost between them and Grant (who himself doesn't remember everything these days). I guess someone who owns modules from both makes and different mfg. periods could be able to tell, or instruct me where to look for it in mine.
It may be nitpicking, and I'm just curious since the discussion about MW and WFC "sounding different" keeps popping up from time to time whereas I think the VCOs and VCAs used with a waveshaper and also individual calibration may just as well account for any differences (due to offset, symmetry etc).

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Page 1 of 1