MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

HAIBLE TAU "THE PIPE" PHASER by Random Source
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author HAIBLE TAU "THE PIPE" PHASER by Random Source
lasesentaysiete
I've been waiting for this for a while. Ordered the kit a few days ago. Very excited.

Tau Phaser
[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/292814865" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_use r=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]

Abomb1st
Where did you get the kit? I thought this was 15v and 4u at the moment. That panel looks great. I must build this. we're not worthy
lasesentaysiete
Abomb1st wrote:
Where did you get the kit? I thought this was 15v and 4u at the moment. That panel looks great. I must build this. we're not worthy

directly from the (Random) Source hihi

the link I posted above takes you to the product info/ordering page.

The 4u version has been out for a while, but this euro version was just released this week. Its not super cheap, but the quality looks top, as usual from them.
Abomb1st
Found it, ordered it. Hopefully I won't screw up the build!
lasesentaysiete
Ordering the majority from Mouser, additional components cost is ~55€, FYI.
Abomb1st
Nice, you don't have mouser BOM already done by any chance....... we're not worthy

I've screwed up ordering the wrong parts in the past. very frustrating
lasesentaysiete
Abomb1st wrote:
Nice, you don't have mouser BOM already done by any chance....... we're not worthy

I've screwed up ordering the wrong parts in the past. very frustrating

mine is 95% complete. I have some of the resistors on hand already, as well as some of the stackable headers. And pots + knobs + jacks are from Thonk.

I can't guarantee that its completely accurate, but here you go!

http://www.mouser.com/ProjectManager/ProjectDetail.aspx?AccessID=f53af f9612

mouser cart (search purposes)
Abomb1st
Thanks mate, I'll do a cross reference and get the rest this afternoon, thanks for your help! Also very glad you put this up because I've been looking at this module for a long time and would have been gutted if I missed the euro release!
gruebleengourd
Ah great. Another modules I need to buy. nanners
realitycontrol
Ahh mate, I almost got the impression that this wasn't going to go ahead due to complaints about the sheer size.

Been wanting a phaser in my life for a while.
Tau Phaser or Kamieniec...
Both. Dead Banana
pieter
This thing sounds truly amazing! I am planning for a phaser in my rack in the not too distant future, and I'd love to see some comparison between the Tau, the Kamieniec and the good old A-125. Any others that I should consider?
Jumbuktu
There are phasers by Modcan, Pittsburgh and Frequency central that you should consider. Also, the Synthtech E560 does phase shifting.

I plan to do a comparison between the A-125, E560 and Kamieniec when the latter arrives. Wish I had the others as well.
lasesentaysiete
I actually ordered an NLC aries 329 phaser while waiting for this to be released. I was expecting a longer wait, but anyway now I'll have two phasers. A head-to-head is in order Mr. Green
dcoth
Are the tantalum caps on the daughterboard polarized? I order the part from Mouser using the ref in the BOM so I'm sure I have the right part. One leg is longer than the other, as in a polarized electrolytic, but there's no indication on the PCB's silkscreen regarding polarity.

The BOM specifies:

BIPOLAR / NON-POLAR for audio use
Electrolytic (or 22uF) >= 25V, 2.5mm ls
e.g. Nichicon MUSE, Mouser: 647-UES1V100MEM

Can anyone confirm that they can be plug in as non-polarized?

Cheers!
dcoth
I found my answer here:

https://sites.google.com/site/markgurries/home/part-sources/bi-polar-c apacitors-sound

If you don't want to follow the link but were wondering the same, here's an explanation:

Quote:
The following list of capacitors that are used by sound decoders where a Bi-Polar (Non polar) capacitor is wired in series with the speaker. The terms "Bi-Polar" and "Non Polar" refer to the fact the capacitor has no DC polarity. There is no "+" or "-" terminals or markings as such on the capacitor. You cannot hook it up backwards!

And further:
Quote:
Enter the Bi-Polar AL capacitor. This can be done with the use of a "circuit trick" of placing two polarized AL capacitors in a "BACK to BACK" series configuration. The negative terminals of both capacitors are tied to each other and insulated leaving only the two positive terminals free for circuit connection. Both capacitors must be EXACTLY the same make and model capacitor. This is how these Bi-polar AL capacitors are built. The manufacture simply puts these two capacitors inside one package giving it the appearance of a single capacitor.
lasesentaysiete
I'm patiently awaiting the tempco resistor still, but has anyone got any audio to share? The more destruction, the better!
Dogma
Did you go with the opa2604?
lasesentaysiete
Dogma wrote:
Did you go with the opa2604?

BOM calls for 4x OPA2134. I ignored the suggestion to upgrade one of the four to a OPA2227, though. I don't know if its worth it or not, but I'm not looking for audiophile quality, necessarily.
cane creek
realitycontrol wrote:
Ahh mate, I almost got the impression that this wasn't going to go ahead due to complaints about the sheer size

Compared to the original it's actually very small Mr. Green
ekoch
Can anyone tell me if the OPA2227 can be substituted from all four of the op amps?
dubstephead
lasesentaysiete wrote:
I've been waiting for this for a while. Ordered the kit a few days ago. Very excited.

Have had this for a little while. Mine without a doubt is the best sounding audio device I have ever owned or probably even used, period. that said I've spent around 10000$ on gear this year alone and have been in the professional synthesis industry for about 10 years. Be very excited! (funny part is I usually don't even like, or use phaser's)
dubstephead
Can also be played as a sound source w/ the feedback cranked up and has inputs for +1v/oct and -/1v/ct so w/ the two outputs you can literally have two people jamming out in tune melody's on a Phaser with no audio source plugged in applause Crank up the feeback on any sound and you will hear distortion I guarantee you have never heard before.

Ohh did I mention it has 20 poles! zombie
pelang
build mine from a thonk kit a week ago.. i am very impressed by the sound quality!
Can be very brutal with overdrive and feedback but also sharp. I like the pseudo stereo output...kind of wired acoustic spatialisations.
and the design is on of the best i have seen so far.
dubstephead
pelang wrote:
build mine from a thonk kit a week ago.. i am very impressed by the sound quality!
Can be very brutal with overdrive and feedback but also sharp. I like the pseudo stereo output...kind of wired acoustic spatialisations.
and the design is on of the best i have seen so far.

Thanks for posting! Now someone else can be as stoked as I am about this insanity!!
dubstephead
lasesentaysiete wrote:

Tau Phaser
[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/292814865" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_use r=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]

Just a heads up. Its the best module ever. Literally.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3