MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

FEAGUE - VCF & Quad Oscillator
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author FEAGUE - VCF & Quad Oscillator
andrewF
Not quite done for 2016.

The Feague is a 4 pole VCF and quadrature oscillator with 0, 90, 180 & 270 degree outputs. It is based on the design in electronotes 41.
It features a lo/hi switch to run it at audio rates or LFO rates, plus a nonlinear Q pot which makes for interesting behaviour when using as a VCF.
When using as a QUO, the nonlinQ pot is used to increase the amplitude of the output signal, which is known to shrink somewhat at low frequencies in these kind of oscillators.

PCB set (2) = US$23
aluminium panel = US$22
assembled = US$210

Build guide & BOM
Feague panel template

some more pics HERE
GryphonP3
Woooo!! Saw this on your site a few days ago and got very excited. Glad to see more info! This will definitely be my next NLC build SlayerBadger!
fma
Wow. Im loving the sounds coming out of the 2 of them.
appliancide
Sweet! How does this one differ from the QUO/LPF?
andrewF
appliancide wrote:

Not a lot other than being eurorack specific, all SMD and the 4PDT switch is replaced with a SPDT/DG chip
......is that a lot?
rosch
so you can switch it via gate?
andrewF
rosch wrote:
so you can switch it via gate?

I didn't include an input but you could easily mod it to do that.
My reason for using the DG chip was I didn't want to use one of those 'huge' 4PDT switches, they sit too high compared to the jacks and pots.
rosch
how does it work then, without an input? i thought you choose the mode with it, slow or fast? or maybe i have soemthing else in mind
andrewF
The switch is used to select the mode; it closes the switches in the DG411 connecting four 2nF caps in parallel to the four 150pF caps. Putting it into low freq mode.
I didn't think there would be much need to use a gate to switch between modes, you can still use CV to alter the frequency, or even ram a gate signal into the Cv input to make it jump between 2 different frequencies.
rosch
i don't understand how it works, have to look at the schematics. right now it seems to me it's neither done by a switch, nor by a gate (but there is an analog switch). got to look at the schems.

it's a good opportunity anyway, i just put up the whole nlc system again. making new power supplies and see if some other stuff really don't work or just fails because of weak supply (not nlc, and it worked before np).
I have transformators that can deliver i think 5A juice so I'll just try and hook several (2 for now) psu circuits to it. I've only had a meanwell switcher which is a miracle that it's still running the system.

got to catch up with a lot of your new stuff too. alu panels hihi

edit edit alright got it, just a normal switch. No I don't need to control it with gates, although, would be insane wouldn't it?
appliancide
andrewF wrote:
appliancide wrote:

Not a lot other than being eurorack specific, all SMD and the 4PDT switch is replaced with a SPDT/DG chip
......is that a lot?

I will hold off on destroying my QUO/LPF and Action PCBs, for now zombie
rosch
btw do you still have 4U QUO/LPF boards by any chance?
vtl5c3
Nice. I built a DIY version many years ago, but never got it working. Will be ordering boards from you.
thelizard
This is a must-build. Any estimate as to when Modular Addict will carry it?
HipDestroyer
Shit yeah Rockin' Banana!
calaveras
SMT fascism.
angry

nah, looks lovely, I just am not a big fan of sticking pieces of rice to a chessboard under a microscope. With tweezers.
TH please? Mr. Green
andrewF
thelizard wrote:
This is a must-build. Any estimate as to when Modular Addict will carry it?

I'm sure MA will get it on their next order, maybe a few month away as they just re-stocked recently.

If you order directly from me, shipping as a regular airmail letter is US$5 for any sized PCB/panel order.
Timmy
This one needs to be used gingerly.
thelizard
calaveras wrote:
SMT fascism.
angry

nah, looks lovely, I just am not a big fan of sticking pieces of rice to a chessboard under a microscope. With tweezers.
TH please? Mr. Green

My opinion of SMT changed rapidly after I bought a good pair of tweezers, a fine tip for my iron, and a flux pen. I now prefer it, as I can build much more quickly. Also, it's a lot easier to fix mistakes!
thelizard
Timmy wrote:
This one needs to be used gingerly.

I get the feeling that Andrew's going to release a good partner module and call it "Fundament". Or maybe just "Horse".
rosch
btw I just tried switching by hand with the quo/lpf on the action panel. Will be interesting to try and switch it with gates. Since the DG is already there in the new design... gonna try it
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1