MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

MXR DC Brick and other pedal power supplies
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Author MXR DC Brick and other pedal power supplies
ben_hex
I'm looking to buy a multi pedal power supply. I hear great things about Cioks and the Eventide Power Factor (which Cioks make). But I've been looking at the MXR DC Brick for something cheaper.

Anybody got experience with these of other power supplies? Not looked into guitar gear for ages and curious what people are using.

cheers! thumbs up
JohnLRice
I was using the ​Decibel Eleven Hot Stone SMD supply for a while and it was great. A little heavy since it uses a torroidal transformer and is in a thick steel case. It also gets a little warm but not hot at all. http://www.decibel11.com/Hot-Stone-SMD-Power-Supply.html

I think I read that Decibel Eleven was started by ex VooDoo Lab employees and their designs seem similar. I've heard nothing but good stuff about VooDoo Lab power supplies and I think they are one of the more popular and respected brands. http://www.voodoolab.com/pedalpower_2.htm

I recently replaced my ​Decibel Eleven with a Strymon Ojai, partly because the Ojai is a lot smaller than the Hot Stone (and lighter too) and partly because I'm a Strymon fanboy and my OCD said that having nothing but Strymon products in my setup would be sweet! hihi So far it has been great! (powering Strymon pedals BigSky, Timeline, Mobius, DECO and DIG at the same time)
http://www.strymon.net/products/ojai/

Strymon also has the larger Zuma supply out now but I haven't tried it:
http://www.strymon.net/products/zuma/
Infinity Curve
I have 2 of these:

https://www.amazon.ca/Donner-DP-1-Effect-Isolated-Indicator/dp/B00WHLL DWO

Silly cheap, no noise, isolated outputs, powers everything I've thrown at it - the 500mA output slot powers strymon stuff no problem. Tiny too

I got them in the first place as a place holder since they were so cheap, but they have worked out so well, I haven't bothered getting anything else.

Worth a look
smetak
Infinity Curve wrote:
I have 2 of these:

Silly cheap, no noise, isolated outputs, powers everything I've thrown at it - the 500mA output slot powers strymon stuff no problem. Tiny too

I got them in the first place as a place holder since they were so cheap, but they have worked out so well, I haven't bothered getting anything else.

Worth a look

Despite the claim, I've read in various posts that the Donner Supply really isn't isolated (this is one from Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/guitarpedals/comments/3hhkcu/anyone_have_expe rience_with_the_donner_dp1_power/), just an enclosed daisy chain - but, again, this may not be the end of the world for some.

Although I'm very happy with two Voodoo Lab Power Plus 2 that supply the juice to my board, I sometimes use a One Spot to very decent results - today, gigged with a friend in a studio around my block, and not feeling in the mood to drag a truck load of pedals with me, just took a few boxes and used One Spot - worked quite well.

That said, between a MXR Brick and a Donner, I would still go for the former without a wink.
Infinity Curve
smetak wrote:
Infinity Curve wrote:
I have 2 of these:

Worth a look

Despite the claim, I've read in various posts that the Donner Supply really isn't isolated (this is one from Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/guitarpedals/comments/3hhkcu/anyone_have_expe rience_with_the_donner_dp1_power/), just an enclosed daisy chain - but, again, this may not be the end of the world for some.

Although I'm very happy with two Voodoo Lab Power Plus 2 that supply the juice to my board, I sometimes use a One Spot to very decent results - today, gigged with a friend in a studio around my block, and not feeling in the mood to drag a truck load of pedals with me, just took a few boxes and used One Spot - worked quite well.

That said, between a MXR Brick and a Donner, I would still go for the former without a wink.

Hmmm...it would appear you are correct. Haven't had any issues or noise like a daisy chain though

I will likely end up grabbing a higher end supply at some point, if for no other reason to compare and see if any difference. I grabbed them in the last 6 months or so when I started using more pedals, and since they seem to do the job, I haven't bothered looking much further
smetak
Infinity Curve wrote:
smetak wrote:
Infinity Curve wrote:
I have 2 of these:

Worth a look

Hmmm...it would appear you are correct. Haven't had any issues or noise like a daisy chain though

I will likely end up grabbing a higher end supply at some point, if for no other reason to compare and see if any difference. I grabbed them in the last 6 months or so when I started using more pedals, and since they seem to do the job, I haven't bothered looking much further

To be terribly honest with you, neither do I - but, again, I suffer from the "60 hertz hum" phenomenon, which really drives me nuts.

Again, I would still get a mxr brick - if it were to get a daisy, a One Spot really fits the bill. Incredibly practical.
Liddlepud
I use the voodoo labs to power my 606, syncussion, Ciat Lonbarde, and Strymon stuff. They' re not cheap but I've never had a problem
Infinity Curve
smetak wrote:
Infinity Curve wrote:
smetak wrote:
Infinity Curve wrote:
I have 2 of these:

Worth a look

To be terribly honest with you, neither do I - but, again, I suffer from the "60 hertz hum" phenomenon, which really drives me nuts.

Again, I would still get a mxr brick - if it were to get a daisy, a One Spot really fits the bill. Incredibly practical.

Ya, no hum here. The only thing I ever have noise issues with is my moisturizer, but it just doesn't like being near anything. I have it on top of my serge rack now and it's quiet, but put it on the desk beside anything else, forget about it. It's on it's own supply though. I have all my gear plugged into proper surge protector strips. This seems to help with any noise as well. I don't use any amps though, even with guitar. It's all just straight into my interface.
Christopher Winkels
Liddlepud wrote:
I use the voodoo labs to power my 606, syncussion, Ciat Lonbarde, and Strymon stuff. They' re not cheap but I've never had a problem

Likewise. I've had the Pedal Power 2Plus for about a year and use it with everything from 30 year old Boss pedals to brand new digital high current ones with nary an issue. You can play with the voltage sag as well for distortion and fuzz effects.

It also has a convenience socket for running gear off AC. Other than the price point ($170 US) there's no real down side I've encountered. And even that price isn't horrible.
ben_hex
Power Plus 2 from Voodood Labs and the CIOKS supplies seem to be the ones getting the best feedback from what I can gather (asking friends and searching online).

I'm going to start with a few pedals on a four way power extension and individual supplies for now to see how I get on. Still looking into the power and also patch cables.

Anybody using those pancake jack cables? I had someone tell me they're getting more noise into the chain through poor jack cables than power supplies.
AlanP
A Godlyke Powerall wallwart and a daisychain does the job very nicely, for me.

Only reason I got a Cioks AC10 was when I started playing around with weirdo power supply DIY stuff, like the Infinitphase or Schumann PLL. (It came in handy later on as a Euro PSU ac source.)
huffnPuff
ben_hex wrote:
Anybody using those pancake jack cables? I had someone tell me they're getting more noise into the chain through poor jack cables than power supplies.

I'm using the Monorail signal cable from Evidence Audio with their solderless plugs, I think it's quite decent.
Cowabunga-man
T rex Chameleon, the green one. 5 isolated 300ma outputs. It solved the greater part of my pedal-board noise problem. thumbs up
numan7
thumbs up another happy voodoo power 2+ user here. it's always been as quiet as using batteries, i've found, with a broad range of effects. and i find the sag feature on channels 7 and 8 useful with fuzzes and distortions.

i recently picked up an effectrode atomic power supply - kind of pricey but can power three high-current 12 volt pedals and a daisy chain of 9 volt pedals with ease. i like being able to power some of my ciat lonbarde gear that expects minus-12-volts-center with it using a reverse polarity lead (since -12 volts wall-warts are practically non-existent).

cheers
unclebastard
I get zero noise problems running eight pedals from a One Spot. Mind you, none of these are expensive complicated stuff like an El Capistan or a Space, just your basic fuzz, reverb, delay, signal booster etcetera.
smetak
I use One Spot for a few mini pedals (TC Looper, TC Flashback, TC HOF, TC Polytune, Zvex fuzz & Ibanez tubescreamer) held in a very practical/inexpensive Mooer case - works perfectly.

But for "heavier" units - all powered by Voodoo lab. Mounting a second pedal board with a good deal of Chase Bliss pedals, a Ditto x4, etc - just bought a Voodoo Lab 4x4 brick as power source.
DubRules
Just get a 1 spot and their daisy chain with adapters for various stuff. It puts out ~2 amps and i power a 6 pedal board with no issues.
abandonist
I have a Voodoo 2, and recently bought a Onespot. It's easier for my purposes (suitcase full of nonsense) and cheap. I haven't run into any noise problems.
Metatarsals
For something around the size of the Eventide PSU, I use the Custom Audio Electronics MC403. It has yet to fail me in any respect. It's reassuringly heavy, but mounts to the underside of a Pedaltrain Pro perfectly (Comes with it's own mounting brackets as the supplied brackets routing does not align with the IEC input blah blah blah).
Rex Coil 7
I've used so many power systems that I cannot even recall all of them. That said, there aren't many I can recommend. The MXR "DC Brick" is utter crap. It's not the actual distribution brick that creates the troubles, it's the cheap ass Chinese wall wart that is used to actually power the brick that is the troublemaker.

Same issue with every single switching power supply (wall warts) that I've ever used. Great for your desktop calculator or charging up that rechargeable flashlight, or perhaps a lamp. But audio? Not happening.

Many stompboxes (or other DIY kits) simply do not have all of the filtering needed to clean up the poorly rectified, high ripple power that the power supplies offered by so many (otherwise) trustworthy name brands have. Some of the guitar stomp box circuits are purposely designed with as little filtering as possible to keep the operating voltage as high as possible as well as making an effort to preserve the guitar's natural tone as closely as one can. Certain fuzz and wah combinations that have enormous followings among the blues player populations are especially vulnerable to crappy power. It's not the stompbox's "fault" nor is it the responsibility of the circuit designer to have to load down the audio pathways with filtering stuff, it's up to the power supply designers to come up with usable power systems so that those of us with that type of gear can actually use our precious gear.

I see this as absolutely NO DIFFERENT than our modular synths' need for good, clean, solid power to provide us with what is needed to power our systems.

AFTER ALL .. A STOMPBOX PEDALBOARD IS NO DIFFERENT THAN A MODULAR SYNTH .... BOTH ARE JUST ~MODULAR~ SYSTEMS MADE WITH COMBINATIONS OF DIFFERENT "MODULES" (circuits).

Oddly enough, the old heavy transformer-style wall wart made by Boss (PSA 120T) works without hum, hiss, squeal, whistle, "oscillating sound" that pretty much any switching type wall warts produce. Sadly, that particular Boss PSU is no longer available.

My brother and I both have more than a few guitar processors, and both of us have the same problems with power. He's currently testing out an MXR "DC Brick" bought new from Sweetwater ... and neither he nor I are impressed ... at all.

Our next test will be done with VooDoo Labs PP2. VooDoo uses built-in power supplies, which means there is an AC Power cord with no wall wart. The PP2 plugs directly into mains voltage (the wall outlet), and offers an AC outlet on the PP2 box itself, so you don't really even sacrifice a wall outlet to power your low DC voltage "modules" (stomp boxes). Yup, it costs about $170.00 .... so what?

Think about this ... how is it ANY different from the need to invest in proper power systems for your very expensive and highly prized modular synth? It's not!

And the same complaints are posted about crappy audio issues here in MiffWugglers no matter whether it be stompboxes, or modules. .... "I bought a (insert brand name of shitty switching power supply here) and my (synth/pedalboard .... pick one) is now having issues".

~Issues~ range from noise, hiss, hum to having a lot of unwanted audible artifacts or poor performance.

So the "rule of thumb" here is .... you're going to have to spend some munnies on your power systems if you want your expensive modular synth and/or expensive pedal board setup to actually operate as hoped for. There's no shortcuts.

Some folks get lucky and just happen to have a combination of modules/stompboxes that can tolerate crappy power systems, and insist that buying upper echelon power systems is a waste of money....

.... until they include that one special module/stompbox that allows all of the demons within their systems to show themselves. Then the threads show up ... "My Rene isn't working right" ..... "just bought a new stompbox and now I have noise issues" ..... et al.

Pedalboard ..... Modular Synth ..... same critters. Each require proper power.

End of Tome.

thumbs up
popvulture
I've had nothing but good luck with Voodoo Lab. I have two PP2+ and an Iso5, all of which have gotten plenty of use without a single problem.
Rex Coil 7
popvulture wrote:
I've had nothing but good luck with Voodoo Lab. I have two PP2+ and an Iso5, all of which have gotten plenty of use without a single problem.
I'm hoping to be able to say the same thing in about a week. Called Sweetwater on behalf of my brother, they're happily taking the MXR DC Brick back (paid the return shipping as well!). We've already ordered the VooDoo Labs PP2 system (Sweetwater, of course) the decision based on comments here, as well as numerous upward remarks found elsewhere on the web.

I'm hoping to find the solutions I'm hunting for from the VooDoo Labs system. Something tells me we've made to proper choice.

thumbs up
smetak
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
popvulture wrote:
I'm hoping to be able to say the same thing in about a week. Called Sweetwater on behalf of my brother, they're happily taking the MXR DC Brick back (paid the return shipping as well!). We've already ordered the VooDoo Labs PP2 system (Sweetwater, of course) the decision based on comments here, as well as numerous upward remarks found elsewhere on the web.

I'm hoping to find the solutions I'm hunting for from the VooDoo Labs system. Something tells me we've made to proper choice.

thumbs up

Energy source is always a constant concern for me.

For the few pedals boards I have, always use Voodoo Lab PP2; have a smaller nano plus which I'm trying Pedaltrain's "Spark", which I have no complaints at all. And all these supplies are connected to filters - none go directly to the outlet.

As for the modular - especially the difficulty and money spent on mounting my rig, must say, I'm paranoid about the energy source - spent a good deal on connecting the cases to a big, black, bulky voltage stabilizer to rid any abnormal fluctuations.
Yodhan
Another vote for a Pedal Power 2 from Voodoo. I have had one for over 10 years and it is the only thing that has stayed with my board besides my NYC Muff.
silent_kd
My pedal board is a little different -- I use my pedals as studio effects and have them all wired into a couple of patch bays -- but I've been powering everything with a couple of Strymon Ojai's for the last few years, and they work great. At the moment its 8 pedals total, including a Mobius and a Timeline, plus one Moogerfooger, which requires a reverse polarity cable (available from Strymon). I started with one Ojai and as I added pedals it was easy to add another one. I have one Ojai hooked up to the power supply brick, and the other is connected to it through the 24V thru jack, so only one power cord required for PLENTY of juice.

That's an advantage of the Strymon power supplies over some others -- they put out a lot of current. They aren't cheap, but it's worth it not to have to worry about it.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Page 1 of 1