MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

ES-8 setup questions
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author ES-8 setup questions
FirstNameJohn
Anyone have experience with an ES-8, Apollo Twin Duo into Ableton via the Optical port? I have gotten it to work with the USB utilizing the ES-8 inputs but have yet to be able to utilize the 8 Outputs which is what I would like as I want to run my system off the internal Ableton clock, reading midi notes as it's trigger. I have went over the tutorials on the site with little success.. Please help if you have some knowledge with this set up...
os
Not quite sure what you have done/want to do. Are you using the ES-8 by itself at this point? If so, using its outputs for clocks is as simple as loading up, for example, Silent Way Sync and directing the plug-in outputs to the ES-8 outputs (outputs 1-8).

Not sure where MIDI notes come into it.

Also not sure what your desired combination is with the Apollo.
FirstNameJohn
Thank you for the reply...

Sorry let me clear a few items up.

I am using Ableton with a Drum Rack Set Up. Each Drum Pad has a SW Trigger. When Ableton Plays, I don't get any signal from my modular. I have the ES-8 in the Output Optical, going to the input of my UA Apollo Twin Duo. I am running Intellijel Metropolis, Make Noise Echophon into the ES-8 (1 Output). Ableton is set on Channel 9 as this is where my UA Apollo starts it's ADAT Channels. Hope this is a touch clearer, I apologize.. perhaps I should post photos? Thanks again for the help...

Also my ES-8 is not lighting up on the Output.. it works when I use the Midi inputs utilizing the USB, however I want to use the outputs for triggers.
os
Are you thinking you can pass signals from the ES-8 optical input to its analogue outputs? Because you can't (currently - this may change in future).

The only way of using the ES-8 right now is to send it signals down the USB connection.
FirstNameJohn
So I cannot use the Output on the ES-8? I don't have anything in the ES-8 Optical input. I want to go from the Optical Output to the Optical Input of the UA Apollo Twin Duo.. Is this possible? Basically in the end I simply want to be able to have triggers my modulars via a midi clip in Ableton. Simply want everything to stay in time (BPM).
os
Quote:
Basically in the end I simply want to be able to have triggers my modulars via a midi clip in Ableton

Yes, you can do that with the ES-8, but I don't understand where the Apollo fits into this picture.
FirstNameJohn
Without taking up a ton of your time.. Could you please let me know how you would utilize your 8 Outputs on the ES-8 and trigger each of them with midi triggers in Ableton? Apollo or no Apollo... Thanks in advance!
os
- Connect ES-8 to Mac via USB.
- Select ES-8 as audio interface in Live.
- Create 8 MIDI tracks.
- On each track load SW Trigger.
- Assign each track to a mono output on the ES-8, from 1-8.
- Enjoy!
FirstNameJohn
I appreciate the reply, however there has to be another way. I am not getting any audio at all. My monitors are hooked up to my Apollo Twin.. I have no sound. On a positive note the lights on the output channel one on the ES-8 are flashing so at least its getting a signal. I just cant hear it...

This is why I was trying the ADAT via Optical In on the Apollo...
os
So what do you have output channel one of the ES-8 connected to?
FirstNameJohn
I don't have it hooked up the the Apollo... Is there a way to take Channel on of the ES-8 and route 2-8 into it, making channel 1 the master out? I can put channel one into my Apollo - #3 Input via 1/4 inch. How would this be configured into Ableton if possible... Hard not to get frustrated (not at you) I do very very much appreciate all of your help.. just want to make music, not tech a product. Lol...
FirstNameJohn
I get audio if I load an audio track (mp3, wav etc.) into Ableton and then play it while plugged into channel 1 on on the ES-8. I am using the instrument in on the front of the Apollo which allows me to play the audio coming from this track.

However when using the SW Trigger and running on channel 2-8 I get nothing.

Midi channel is set up with the following:

MIDI FROM:

1 SWTRIGGER
PRE/POST FX - Don't have a POST Mixer option?

AUDIO TO:

EXT OUT
MONO 2 - Note:All Mono Channels Do Not Send A Signal.

I know I am getting audio from the ES-8 as the Audio track is playing out and when I unplug it from channel one the audio stops.. SMH

One other thing, if in the future this actually works, how do I play other sounds in ableton using my own stuff outside of the Eurorack? My UA Apollo is not tied to Ableton anymore so I cannot really mix sounds from the eurorack and ableton together... again SMH... There has got to be an easier method to this madness..
os
@FirstNameJohn I'm going to split this off to a separate thread.
os
Is your problem at this point that you can't get SW Trigger to work? Why not use e.g. SW LFO for now to at least validate that you can send an LFO out of each output.

Quote:
how do I play other sounds in ableton using my own stuff outside of the Eurorack? My UA Apollo is not tied to Ableton anymore so I cannot really mix sounds from the eurorack and ableton together

You can use the ES-8 inputs, or if you want to use the two interfaces together you would need to create an Aggregate device (via OS X's Audio MIDI Setup utility).
cryptogreen
Hi, so I think i am not getting the most out of my ES-8. My laptop runs windows so I am waiting for them to update to the same standard as Mac or an OS update. Furthermore, the usb converter only connects to the ES-8 with the less powerful ipad i own (I have the dongle with the usb and the little side lightening port).

What iOS software can I run on an iPad mini 2 that can allow me to use all the outs for cv? I like audulus, but as far as I know they only have 2 outs at the moment.
os
Try zMors Modular.
cryptogreen
os wrote:
Try zMors Modular.
Will do!
jwise
os wrote:
@FirstNameJohn I'm going to split this off to a separate thread.

Where was this conversation moved to?
os
This is the moved conversation.
jwise
So FirstNameJohn never came back....

I have a related question and feel horrible about wasting your time, but I have the Apollo Twin Duo too and I have the ES-3 (also had the ES-6 on order at one point). Once I realized my Twin Duo did not have ADAT out I cancelled the ES-6 and figured I'd wait for the ES-8.

It's starting to occur to me that maybe the ES-8 is better for performance than studio as if I set Bitwig to use the ES-8 as my audio interface I won't be able to monitor audio from Bitwig as I cannot choose different audio interfaces for input and output or multiple interfaces so one deals with say the Twin Duo and then the other being the ES-8.

So my question is if I'm using this strictly for studio would I be better off getting a Motu UltraLite MK4 and the ES-6 or am I missing something obvious?
os
You can use two interfaces at once. Aggregate Devices in OS X or asio4all in Windows.
jwise
os wrote:
You can use two interfaces at once. Aggregate Devices in OS X or asio4all in Windows.

I understand that, but I can't have two different interfaces running within a DAW at once.
os
Yes you can, that's exactly what an Aggregate Device allows you to do.
aehbon
I tried using asio4all but it caused my DAW to pause randomly, I think it had something to do with timing. Not only that but I lose the functionality of my Scarlett drivers.

Regarding standalone mode: My audio interface is a Scarlett 18i20 will I be able to pass cv through the ADAT port if I update the firmware and use standalone mode?

That could solve all of my issues!
os
Yes.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2