MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

UniPulse questions.. db25 breakout, standalone, power..
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Tubbutec  
Author UniPulse questions.. db25 breakout, standalone, power..
clusterchord
hello, i just bought a pair of UniPulses for CR8000 and KR55 units.

i had a plan to get another later for my Acetone FR3, but due to increasing cost doing this for each and every machine, it got me thinking how to maximize the use of them - since each unit offers 16 trig outputs and none of these drum machines utilize all of them. they typically have 8 instruments. plus minus.

my first idea is to add a D-Sub or DB25 output connector to CR8000, so i can send unused half of unipulse trigs to FR3, which in turn would also have its trig inputs brought out on such connector. so, just one cable btwn machines.

another, perhaps better idea, is to simply make UniPulse standalone or put behind an eurorack panel, combined with a multi connector. then i'd have the freedom to use it on any machine in the studio i equipped with trig inputs, inluding triggering eurorack events. (i presume unipulse can save its various setting on the computer).

what do you think of all this.. any potential problems/pitfalls? cable lenght loss etc?

about power; it says on the site: "Runs off a single supply voltage between +15 and +25V, generates negative voltage internally" - can i add something to adapt it to run on euro +/-12V?

any advice is much appreciated.

regards
Tom
tubbutec
Hi,

first of all: thanks for ordering smile

both your ideas are good and will work. I do know of some people who have used it this way and they are happy with the results.

Quote:
about power; it says on the site: "Runs off a single supply voltage between +15 and +25V, generates negative voltage internally" - can i add something to adapt it to run on euro +/-12V?

Not that easily. You'd have to remove a SMD part on the unipulse board and solder a wire to a pad on the board. If you believe you can do that I can provide further infos. Unfortunately your order is already shipped..
clusterchord
tubbutec wrote:
Hi,

first of all: thanks for ordering smile

both your ideas are good and will work. I do know of some people who have used it this way and they are happy with the results.

Quote:

Not that easily. You'd have to remove a SMD part on the unipulse board and solder a wire to a pad on the board. If you believe you can do that I can provide further infos. Unfortunately your order is already shipped..

hello, thank you for your reply. our wiggler Horstronic will be doing this work for me, and he is at home with SMT, so by all means i'd love to know what needs to be done. if any more in depth explanation is needed i could route him to ask you directly of course.

also, i wanted to ask few things about my multi-connector idea:

* can a single D-SUB, which has 9 pins, carry 8 trigger signals plus ground, or do i need separate ground for each trigger, meaning a DB25 to carry 8 triggers?

* if i fit the receiving D-SUB on my CR8000 is there anything i need btwn that and the trigger pins on the drum machine PCB ? - i seem to recall when ppl were fitting trigger inputs on some machines, like 9090 etc, there was some talk about transistors, diodes... like a small circuit that governs the trigger in,,

* finally, would UniPulse outputs work with euro modules, like hex inverter, tiptop etc,,, triggering envelopes, function generators. and can i save different setups for the UniPulse on my computer, so i have ready made templates depending what i'm connecting to it?

thanks, and sorry for the barrage of questions. i'm all ideas, but electronic practice is not my area. glad the Unipulses are on their way nanners

cheers
Tom
tubbutec
Quote:

hello, thank you for your reply. our wiggler Horstronic will be doing this work for me, and he is at home with SMT, so by all means i'd love to know what needs to be done. if any more in depth explanation is needed i could route him to ask you directly of course.

Will provide you with a short how to soon..

Quote:
can a single D-SUB, which has 9 pins, carry 8 trigger signals plus ground

Yes

Quote:
if i fit the receiving D-SUB on my CR8000 is there anything i need btwn that and the trigger pins on the drum machine PCB ? - i seem to recall when ppl were fitting trigger inputs on some machines, like 9090 etc, there was some talk about transistors, diodes... like a small circuit that governs the trigger in,,

No additional parts are needed in my opinion. Here are schematics marked with which I believe to be working trigger points.

If you have this installed and working I would be very happy about pictures of the trigger points so I can write a short how-to
Thanks

Quote:
finally, would UniPulse outputs work with euro modules, like hex inverter, tiptop etc,,, triggering envelopes, function generators. and can i save different setups for the UniPulse on my computer, so i have ready made templates depending what i'm connecting to it?

Yes this should work provided modules in question can be triggered with 1.27 ms trigger length (this is usually the case)
clusterchord
tubbutec wrote:
Will provide you with a short how to soon..

Quote:
can a single D-SUB, which has 9 pins, carry 8 trigger signals plus ground

Yes

awesome.

tubbutec wrote:
Quote:
if i fit the receiving D-SUB on my CR8000 is there anything i need btwn that and the trigger pins on the drum machine PCB ? - i seem to recall when ppl were fitting trigger inputs on some machines, like 9090 etc, there was some talk about transistors, diodes... like a small circuit that governs the trigger in,,

No additional parts are needed in my opinion. Here are schematics marked with which I believe to be working trigger points.

that simplifies things a lot. thanks a lot for marking them.

all of this has pointed one obvious oversight on my part.. the CR8000 on its own needs 14 triggers to cover everything. this changes things, because one D-SUB is not enough to transfer it. either two D-SUBs, or one DB25. which leads me to rethink the whole euro idea.

i could do one of two things (hope im not boring you, but as you hinted maybe this could be beneficial to other ppl in the end):

a. make euro module with 16 mini jacks. add two d-subs on CR8000 and one d-sub on my FR3. make three multicore cables having 8 mini jacks on one end and male d.sub on the other end. advantage here is full flexibility in what gets routed where. a single unipulse for a combined setup of two drum machines and few euro synthesized drums. disadvantage: price of jacks, dealing with patching unpatchin on euro panel end.

b. just build the unipulse inside CR8000. add d-sub trigger output that doubles whatever unipulse is playing. and make a d-sub into multicore cable with jacks on the other end. so i can feed this to other machines or modules.

what do you think?

Guinness ftw!

and i forgot: is there a point in sending one uni trig to accent pin?
or not, given we have velocity now ?

tubbutec wrote:
If you have this installed and working I would be very happy about pictures of the trigger points so I can write a short how-to
Thanks

of course, i'll make sure to get all documented. as things stand, the second uni i bought is going into my bandmate's KR-55. and i see you covered that one already thumbs up
tubbutec
Quote:
a. make euro module with 16 mini jacks. add two d-subs on CR8000 and one d-sub on my FR3. make three multicore cables having 8 mini jacks on one end and male d.sub on the other end. advantage here is full flexibility in what gets routed where. a single unipulse for a combined setup of two drum machines and few euro synthesized drums. disadvantage: price of jacks, dealing with patching unpatchin on euro panel end.

Also: you won't be able to use both machines at once

Quote:
b. just build the unipulse inside CR8000. add d-sub trigger output that doubles whatever unipulse is playing. and make a d-sub into multicore cable with jacks on the other end. so i can feed this to other machines or modules.

Not a prefect solution either because the pulse polarity might differ. The CR8000 for example needs positive pulses on some of the trigger points I marked, negative ones on others. So this might be incompatible with the other machines you are connecting to it (like FR-3). Sending pulses with the wrong polarity to a machine _might_ (unlikely) even damage it.

Personally I like to install 1 uniPulse / machine because the hole you need to drill is much smaller and round instead of fitting a bulky SUBD connector. You may want to consider using VGA connectors. They have 15 pins and are relatively small. You can even use the shield as GND and get GND + 15 trigger signals.
Industrial round multi pin connectors look great but are quite expensive.

Quote:
is there a point in sending one uni trig to accent pin?
or not, given we have velocity now ?

Not needed because of velocity
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Tubbutec  
Page 1 of 1