MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

A box from Front Panel Express came today
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Mattson Mini Modular  
Author A box from Front Panel Express came today
pugix
It contained two 5U panels for my Mattson EG/VGA project. nanners

All components have arrived: the 4 DIY PC boards, wiring kits, power cables, the Bridechamber 3-jack brackets, and even the Alpha pots that Mouser is running out of fast. I only need to fabricate an adapter bracket for these, which will be simple. The rest is basic front panel assembly. Should get these done over the long weekend. I decided not to add an LED to monitor the EG output. It would require some kind of small board for the driver, which would have complicated the project.
pugix
I just got the first one finished. Works perfectly! I like the ring modulation input!

http://pugix.com/synth/mattson-envelope-generatorvca/
russma
Ok yeah, I want to build this right now. Maybe a couple. How do I do it? Can I use your FPE file? How much will it cost? Will you make me a bracket? I will pay you. What do I order from George?

help
emdot_ambient
thumbs up Great combo module in a tiny space!
pugix
idiotboy wrote:
Ok yeah, I want to build this right now. Maybe a couple. How do I do it? Can I use your FPE file? How much will it cost? Will you make me a bracket? I will pay you. What do I order from George?

help

Yes, you can use my FPE file. It's there for downloading. Cost to make: $75

Mattson EG and VCA boards, wire kits and 6-pin power cable (custom 5 inch length) = approximately $185.
Bridechamber 3-jack bracket: $7.00 + shipping.
Eight Alpha pots, eight knobs, six jacks, two switches: ~ $50
Various assorted hardware: ~ $10

So, about $330. The FPD panel is the killer. The other parts are reasonable. Don't ask me for a part number for the push-button. Those were lying in my parts bin for years. I have no idea where they came from.

The tricky bit is the custom bracket. It is made from aluminum stock available cheap from Lowes. Making it is tedious. After cutting to the right size, you have to drill six holes to fit the Bridechamber bracket and eight holes to fit the two PC boards. I butted the PC boards together, which was a mistake of sorts, because the holes for the butted boards are so close together, there is barely room for the 4-40 nuts. I got lucky and found some itty-bitty 4-40 nuts in my parts bin. You could probably figure out some other mounting arrangement. I don't think I'll offer to make these brackets. Since Bridechamber is starting to make 5U panels for Mattson conversions, we should lobby Scott to come up with a bracket that fits the Mattson boards.

By the way, I found that the VCA board is a tad wider, including the mounting holes, than the EG board. Only a few thousandths of an inch. George, this must have been a mistake, right? Didn't you intend the mounting hole spacing to be standard across your boards?
russma
Awesome. Thanks Richard!

thumbs up
mmm
pugix wrote:

By the way, I found that the VCA board is a tad wider, including the mounting holes, than the EG board. Only a few thousandths of an inch. George, this must have been a mistake, right? Didn't you intend the mounting hole spacing to be standard across your boards?

Uh, yeah hmmm.....

Actually, I had those made especially for you just to screw with your head hihi
seriously, i just don't get it
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Mattson Mini Modular  
Page 1 of 1