MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Cocoquantus chaos knob - what's it do past center?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Ciat-Lonbarde  
Author Cocoquantus chaos knob - what's it do past center?
pugix
Despite all my study of Cocoquantus, I still don't understand how the Chaos pot works. From the schematic, it's clear that the pot controls the depth of cross modulation of all the Quantussy oscillators, by means of a VCA. Fully anti-clockwise there is no cross modulation. Going up to the center point increases the depths of modulation. But going past the center enters a zone of some sort of freezing, it seems. What's going on there?
Hainbach
I am guessing that like the chaos knob on the Sidrax the crossmodulation gets akin to white noise. Using that to modulate anything results in the freezing.
pugix
Well, it looks like I need to start investigating this with a scope.
pugix
I did put the scope on the Quantussy triangle outputs. It's in start up mode (all green LEDs on), so the five are cross modulating in a ring. Past center on the Chaos knob, they all freeze, but not all in the same way. I saw four just stop at the level they were at, while another one kept oscillating at a steady frequency.

I still don't understand it, but this behavior will be useful in a performance I'll be doing tomorrow night.
windspirit
I contacted peter awhile ago about this. While he did not explain why it happened he said it was normal behavior.
pugix
I wonder if anyone has added a CV input for the Chaos function, like on the Sidrax. It shouldn't be that hard, because the knob simply controls five VCAs in parallel. Could be as simple as adding some resistors and an input jack or brass screw.
knows
So, the chaos knob cross modulates the quantussy without anything patched?
If so, how does having it patched up influence the chaos?
pugix
knows wrote:

Yes, the cross modulations are patched by CMOS analog switches that are controlled by the states of the center nacel of lights. You can patch the oscillator outputs (triangle and re-castled sample & hold) over to the delays (or to a modular, etc.), and you can patch into the CV inputs, but the cross modulations are not patchable, just switchable.

The only patch that impacts the chaos is patching into the five nacel inputs. These act as gates which cycle the CMOS switches through their states. But you don't need to patch anything into those to get chaos. Those do change the patterns of the chaos. But I hardly ever patch into them, because any one of those combinations is sufficient to produce very complex patterns.
knows
pugix wrote:
knows wrote:

Yes, the cross modulations are patched by CMOS analog switches that are controlled by the states of the center nacel of lights. You can patch the oscillator outputs (triangle and re-castled sample & hold) over to the delays (or to a modular, etc.), and you can patch into the CV inputs, but the cross modulations are not patchable, just switchable.

The only patch that impacts the chaos is patching into the five nacel inputs. These act as gates which cycle the CMOS switches through their states. But you don't need to patch anything into those to get chaos. Those do change the patterns of the chaos. But I hardly ever patch into them, because any one of those combinations is sufficient to produce very complex patterns.

Great response! A nice balance from Peter's strange description of his instrument.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Ciat-Lonbarde  
Page 1 of 1