MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Silent Way and Cubase 9
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Author Silent Way and Cubase 9
jmcecil
So, it looks like VST2 wrapped plugins are not supported. Any information on a Silent Way update that would allow me to use SW with C9?
os
What do you mean by "wrapped"?

Are you saying Cubase 9 has dropped support for VST 2.4 plug-ins?
hary3007
same problem here. cubase 9 can't find the silentway plugin. all my configured tracks don't work ... nice.
os
I take it you've reported this to Steinberg? It seems alarming that the inventors of the VST format have broken VST support in their app.
jmcecil
I'm actually on the beta and have been ranting about it for months. They said all vendors had been notified.

They have NOT dropped 2.4 support. They have dropped 'Vst2xLegacyShell' type VST2 plug-ins support ... you have lots of plugins in that one dll.
os
They certainly didn't notify me. But I know now, so I'll talk to them about it. Seems a bit shoddy to me. Was there any justification for it?
jmcecil
os wrote:
They certainly didn't notify me. But I know now, so I'll talk to them about it. Seems a bit shoddy to me. Was there any justification for it?

Other than pushing the crappy VST3 API, not that I'm aware. They really don't share much for reasons when it comes to stuff like that. I only found out when Silent Way wouldn't even show up when they implemented the new plugin manager. That was in September. I actually asked if I could contact you directly, but did not get a reply. I didn't want to violate the beta NDA.
os
OK. For what it's worth I have no immediate plans for a VST 3 version, so if any Silent Way users want to use Cubase 9, they'd better go shout at Steinberg.
jmcecil
os wrote:
OK. For what it's worth I have no immediate plans for a VST 3 version, so if any Silent Way users want to use Cubase 9, they'd better go shout at Steinberg.

The only other option is to split out the plugins. I'm kind of screwed. Silent Way is central to all of my orchestration templates ... 100s of manhours to create over the last few years ... but I am totally tied to Cubase/Halion/Wavelab. It's been painful to try to test C9 but not actually be able to "use" it because I had to have 8.5 to use SW.
livefreela
well this is a steinberg-whammy if there ever was one twisted jmcecil - i'm in the same boat as you; rebuilding these templates will be awful, and as far as i'm concerned, working without SW is a non-option. I installed C9 tonight and have been running SW as an AU via VePro - it's inconvenient, but it does appear to work ok, though as I use SW primarily for clocks/timing events, I'm kind of worried about latency issues running it through the host outside of cubase...
jmcecil
livefreela wrote:
well this is a steinberg-whammy if there ever was one twisted jmcecil - i'm in the same boat as you; rebuilding these templates will be awful, and as far as i'm concerned, working without SW is a non-option. I installed C9 tonight and have been running SW as an AU via VePro - it's inconvenient, but it does appear to work ok, though as I use SW primarily for clocks/timing events, I'm kind of worried about latency issues running it through the host outside of cubase...

That's an interesting approach. I hadn't thought of using VEP. It's worth a shot. But, just like you said, I wonder how the timing will hold up?
BlackDoors
What a complete bore, Racking my brain to think of workarounds here. C9 seemed like a decent update for once.

Are there any decent chainers/wrappers that might work (at a reasonable price?). I used to use NI Kore to host a few things that wouldn't work in Cubase, but I have left it behind a couple of years ago.

Steinberg seem to be on a mission to lose their hard-won reputation for broad support and compatibility. A real shame!

John
schmuck
Bad news indeed. I purchased cubase 9 upgrade for the mixer history but w/o silent way I'll stay on 8.5.

very frustrating
schmuck
"Unshelling" the silenway plugs worked for me (WIN10):

https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=250&t=107759
BlackDoors
schmuck wrote:
"Unshelling" the silenway plugs worked for me (WIN10):

https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=250&t=107759

No way for the end user to do this for Mac versions, as far as I am aware. Anyone know any different?

John
resynthesize
Came here searching for a solution as this is also affecting me. After some hours of work I JUST got things up and stable with ES-3/ES-6/usbstreamer/silent way/Cubase and had a template with all of the routing saved.

I guess I'll have to keep using 8.5 for now but this really sucks for us end-users as some of the new cubase 9 features are really nice.
resynthesize
BlackDoors reminded me that I have a NI Kore 2 license still. I managed to update my template to use silent way inside of kore and it all works fine. The one tricky part was figuring out how to route multi-out plugins inside of kore, but there's a section in the kore manual that explains how to do it.

Works ok as a workaround, but would be nice to unwrap/unshell these VSTs for us mac cubase users when you get the chance Os.
os
I've started on a VST3 version. Doesn't seem too bad, actually.
BlackDoors
os wrote:
I've started on a VST3 version. Doesn't seem too bad, actually.

That's great news, Os.

Any early idea on a timeline yet? I'm left wondering whether to dig up and reanimate Kore 2. But can't face the disk space and they way it scatters files and libraries all over!

John
os
If xmas wasn't happening, I'd like to think it would be fairly soon. But realistically we're looking at January.
BlackDoors
Cheers for the heads-up.... looking forward to the update.

Have a great Xmas!

John
os
Thanks.

I imagine I'll post a beta or two before there's an official release, in which case I'll do so here.
BlackDoors
Definitely game to give the beta a whirl. Will keep an eye out.
Naturligasteg
I can not believe this. Upgraded to C9 and came to the conclusion that NONE of my tracks work cause it can not find Silent Way! This is just unfathomable.
Naturligasteg
os wrote:

Please reconsider this and split the plugins out of the wrapper so we can use them.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Page 1 of 6