MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

JunkieXL - studio tour (bloody wow...)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion  
Author JunkieXL - studio tour (bloody wow...)
mt3

criticalmonkey
great guy to work with as well - happy he made the transition to film successfully
adam
i'd thought he'd been doing film for a long time already?

looks like 2005, thought it was longer

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junkie_XL#Composing_for_film
minime123
very nice!
logan79
Holkenborg is TOP!
subbasshead
He was recently in Wellington NZ as he is working on Peter Jacksons new thing...

https://movieweb.com/mortal-engines-movie-soundtrack-junkie-xl/
Moon Indigo
subbasshead wrote:
He was recently in Wellington NZ as he is working on Peter Jacksons new thing...

https://movieweb.com/mortal-engines-movie-soundtrack-junkie-xl/

Didn't know that, gidday from Auck.
scriberius
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9lA_mrWe2I&frags=pl%2Cwn[/vide o]

arpegerator wink
JohnLRice
scriberius wrote:

arpegerator wink
Panason
Large touch screen on the desk... been thinking about that.

All the rest of the museum pieces there are not needed, just use plugins lol
phisynth
What no Serge ?? hihi
crawling wind
I could go for that Yamaha DX-1.
proteus-ix
His YT channel is a gold mine. I just discovered it last week, and I really can't believe someone with his schedule has been willing to make so much time to document his studio, process etc. He seems like a pretty amazing human.
Dilibob
proteus-ix wrote:
His YT channel is a gold mine. I just discovered it last week, and I really can't believe someone with his schedule has been willing to make so much time to document his studio, process etc. He seems like a pretty amazing human.
I really appreciate what junkiexl is doing for the community, how he uses his samples in his scores has drastically improved my workflow. Also he might do 3 one hour videos for one score, and having that comprehensive view I find invaluable.
joesdeals
That gear and studio is godlike.
Kafgee
I like the couch
Kafgee
Chesterfield?
JediDJ
Greater than Fairchild's collection.
Awesome person btw.
But man, why MS-20 full sized and minis at the same time ?
I see no point.

I suspect that most of that gear just stands there with no practical usage.
Just for fun.
Especially old romplers and samplers.
Rex Coil 7
JediDJ wrote:
... why MS-20 full sized and minis at the same time ?
I see no point.
Apparently he sees a point, and after all that's all that matters.

JediDJ wrote:
I suspect that most of that gear just stands there with no practical usage.
Just for fun.
Especially old romplers and samplers.
Don't sell those "old ROMplers" short. I have three E-MU rack ROMplers (Proteus 2000, XL-1, Planet Earth) .. and my wife has a Proteus 2500 with two additional ROM boards.

They can be bought for around $250 to $300, lots of repair parts are available including brand new replacement OLED displays and all of the internal PCBs, pots, buttons, jacks, and power supplies. And they sound fantastic. Some of the "TURBO" versions of the 1U synths (as well as the Proteus 2500) have 32 MIDI channels, and six audio outputs ... four of which can be used as send/return loops for external processing or bringing in external sounds to be processed by the FIFTY "Z Plane" internal filters.

Some of those E-MU rack synths have two extra ROM slots, and some have four extra ROM slots ... for installing even more samples and presets. I installed the Proteus 2000 ROM board in my "Planet Earth", so that one has nearly 2,000 presets and over 2,500 samples. My wife's Proteus 2500 has three ROM boards loaded into it, so it has over 3,000 presets and nearly as many samples. Those Proteus family rack synths have extensive MIDI CC lists, and really comprehensive modulation matrix destinations and sources. Not to mention hyper powerful arpeggiators that send notes to MIDI Out (each rack synth has seventeen fully independent arpeggiators that sync to MIDI clock). Plus 128 note polyphony.

So for close to the price of a single modular VCO you can buy a very well built rack synth with over 1,000 sounds and just as many user preset slots.

The same goes for older Kurzweil rack modules, as well as Yamaha/Korg/Roland/Akai rack stuff. Prices are climbing on these pieces again.

thumbs up
JediDJ
I love all that stuff.
But suspect that in modern movies everything is Kontakt based when it comes to samples.
Kurzweil systems are especially powerfull. VAST is a bomb surely.
Little bit of aliasing of course is happening there.
When fast modulations are engaged.

But... many of them made in a middle of 90s with slow DSPs.
So... this is technology at it's apogee.

And if going back to Mr Junkie.
I doubt that there is a human on earth that can deeply dig all that gear.
Soooooo much different interfaces, midi CC behaviour, quirks and lags.
So I think he mostly just switching some presets there.
And if it works, it works )
MindMachine
I appreciate how clean and tidy his massive set-up is.

And note that I use many of the same cables.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion  
Page 1 of 1