MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

when u outgrew ur first euro rack case did u....
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 [all]
Author when u outgrew ur first euro rack case did u....
pinkflag16
Moog 60HP+M32, sold for Mantis, added Make Noise Skiff.
NoobOlar
I have been saving up for modular for a while because
1- I knew up until now I would not have had time to make good use of it
2- I didn't like the idea to start really small with only a couple of modules which would only allow me to make some noise but no much music

So now that I am finally starting I ordered a Doepfer MonsterBase (168Hp x2)
And a few days later I ordered a Monster Case 9 unit to put on top of the base.
I know it's a lot of HP to start with but I want to get the modular space in my room set, I know I will fill up the base quick. Doing it this way I don't need to worry about space for a while.

I didn't worry about a smaller portable case (although these Monster units do have covers) because right now would be too early for me to go out to perform. Later on, with time if I want to take stuff on the road I will either use the Monster 9U or there will be new cases released by then for maybe some cool new portable option
gonner
Just upgraded from a MN 3U skiff to 2 x Mantis
Arson
gonner wrote:

seriously, i just don't get it

I hope you ve got some modules to fill that extra 9U lol
gonner
Arson wrote:
gonner wrote:

seriously, i just don't get it

I hope you ve got some modules to fill that extra 9U lol

woah woah woah
Workin' on it
hw408
Good topic. I was about to ask what people did when they filled their first 208HP, if you spent any time in denial that you would need something quite gigantic instead of another 208, or just got a second one of whatever you had that worked first. I am approaching full first-mantis here.

Thanks to whomever calculated mantis as one of the best values per HP, that helps, and all the other considerations mentioned..

All my gear (bunch of non eurorack stuff alo) is spread out on several cheap ikea coffee tables, so i might just add another length of those on the side, and get a second mantis, instead of block off my mixer with a doepfer wall.
This is fun!

thumbs up
L.C.O.
kat wrote:
i more want to know like what u actually did when it happened to u and like tell me if u would change ur decision what you would have done different.

I first got another small case.

Then regretted that, sold both and got a bigger case.

Years later, I would say to myself then: get a bigger case from the start.
Kept Walking
As someone who went through this this year, you need to make the personal call for yourself.

Do you plan to travel at all? If so 2 smaller cases may be better than 1 larger case. If you know you will be buying lots of gear and not traveling than maybe get yourself a large case or two.

Try to plan for the short term on a cost basis analysis, but also try to not waste money in the long term.

I personally went with 2 larger cases, and 2 smaller cases, which gave me room to expand, and also let me have some travel cases for play.
Synnic
I looked at a number of demo videos and such online and also made a visit to Control Voltage in Portland to see what modular was like in person. (I bought nothing that first visit.) Eventually, I decided to start out with a Happy Ending Kit in a 19" shallow rack that my other music gear had outgrown, and get a Maths and an SMR that I wanted to complement my existing semi-modular and other equipment.

I went to Control Voltage in Portland to purchase them and ended up filling the case. (This is my original layout https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/453254.) They were super helpful in providing good suggestions and respecting my design goals. Filling the case up right away was OK because, from the beginning, I had planned to outgrow the HEK if I enjoyed playing with modular stuff.

I researched cases and modules for a while before growing again. This time, I went to Patchwerks in Seattle because they carry the Doepfer cases that I was interested in. After looking at my options in person, I was able to get a Doepfer A-100PB base case (6Ux84hp) at a good price along with some modules that interested me. Ultimately, I decided not to get rid of the HEK and kept it as an overflow case, which turned out to be a good thing.

Later, I overflowed into the 3U of my HEK while I waited for a sale on a Doepfer A-100P6 (also 6Ux84hp) case. I considered the A-100P9 but decided not to go that route because of my desire to stack it on the base case. The A-100P6 felt more stable to me. Three modules ended up temporarily out of my setup for lack of room during this time.

With a little patience, eBay and Detroit Modular were the ones that came through for my next purchase. I had a coupon code from eBay for 15% off that worked for the Doepfer case. Buying from Detroit Modular this way worked out fine and I was one happy camper the day that the case arrived and I rearranged my modules.

Summarizing why I chose the cases that I did goes like this:

Happy Ending Kit -- inexpensive, good starter, easy to keep as an overflow rack.
Doepfer A-100PB -- easy to carry, heavy duty means no worries on the go, has an actual lid, can stack an A-100P6 on it, good format for control surfaces, good reputation.
Doepfer A-100P6 -- stacks well on the base case, easy to carry, heavy duty, lid, reliable power, good experience with A-100PB.

I'm not sure where I may go next, but you can be sure that having my overflow case will buy me time to research it before leaping.
pixelmechanic
Started with a 3u ASys case, added a 6u ASys case, added a beauty case as a portable add on for 3u case. Bought another beauty case.

http://pixelmechanics.com/images/jr_img_modular.jpg

Added a 6u Doepfer suitcase as by then I was playing live a bit and lugging ASys cases around in flightcases was a pain.

http://pixelmechanics.com/images/jr_img_modular04.jpg

Since most of what I do is live and improvised I realised I had too much stuff (for me) to manage. Sold the 6u ASys case, plus all the modules that would fit into it plus the modules from the beauty cases and 3u case, and swapped a beauty case. Kept one beauty case and 3u as 'Justins' (just in case)

http://pixelmechanics.com/images/jr_img_modular05.jpg

Bounced between 6u < > 9u for a few years.

http://pixelmechanics.com/images/jr_img_modular08.jpg

Bought a HEK and mounted it with 3u Asys case in a mixer case, for fun at home (I keep all my stuff at work). Never took it home.

http://pixelmechanics.com/images/jr_img_modular11.jpg

Sold the HEK and ASys 3u plus 75% of modules in it to a colleague and bought a small Serge setup : )

Bought a R*S wavemult/eq in 4u : (

http://pixelmechanics.com/images/jr_img_modular13.jpg

bought another Serge case : |

http://pixelmechanics.com/images/jr_img_modular15.jpg

Overall I like to keep things portable and have enough variety to keep it interesting but only enough that I can focus on what I'm doing live and to be able to play it without thinking about it i.e. each case is a full instrument.
1n
Went from 104 hp to a 12U Ross Lamond DIY case.

I'm keeping it 6U, with the lid free, so I can store it patched up. If I ever get to take it outdoors for performances, I'll mount a couple of pedals and my mixer in the lid with Velcro.

The two 104 rails I'm fitting into an old camera box with uZeus power, for a very portable small system.
Shledge
Kept the cases.
erenod
If you build the case big enough 1st time, you will not need another case later. :insert meme: i've started with 800 hp case. Will take me few years to fill this baby razz .

So maybe instead of buying another 208hp, try building one thats humongous, and be done with it wink
cptnal
erenod wrote:
If you build the case big enough 1st time, you will not need another case later. :insert meme: i've started with 800 hp case. Will take me few years to fill this baby razz .

So maybe instead of buying another 208hp, try building one thats humongous, and be done with it wink

The thing with this approach is you may feel compelled to fill it, even if you find a comfortable level at (say) 600hp...

This is another question where there's probably as many answers as there are wigglers. Possibly more because your requirements will change over time. FWIW I reckon the meta-modular approach is the most flexible - many small/medium cases that you can buy more of, then stop when you reach your level.
Agawell
I started with a 6u 72hp bastl marton case

this took just over 6 months to fill

I then bought a mantis, transferred all the modules and blanked the rest, kept the bastl

bought modules... mantis is full...

I am due to pick up some more modules next week... and one from repair (fingers crossed)

tetris will ensue... tff modulargrid

modules will move...

desk will re-arrange...

all will be good in the world...

and the plan going forward?

probably another mantis (or something nicer in the same format 6/7u 104hp)

but by then one case or parts of cases may be video
lisa
Started with a Doepfer LC6 (168hp in total) and upgraded to a Pittsburgh EP-420(hp). Feels like a good size. Don’t think I’ll go bigger and having more than one case has no allure to me.
starthief
I see I answered this before, but it's more complete now:

- I started way too small, thinking I'd just have a few modules to enhance my Microbrute. Instead I fell in love with modular.

- I moved from a 74HP DIY skiff to an 84HP row, to 3 rows of 84HP in a 12U desktop rack stand. (Also a 1U audio interface, 1U power switches and 1U of clearance at the bototm.)

- I was going to stay at that 252HP mark for a while, but beta testing was kind to me; I got a Mantis for overflow, and to play with sequencers, effects and controllers. And then I put a shelf above that for pedals, spring tanks etc.

- Probably my ideal case would be 12U of 126HP, but I'm not going to spend the money to buy/build that at this point.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 [all]
Page 3 of 3