MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Audio Damage ADM23 Eos Stereo Studio Reverb
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next [all]
Author Audio Damage ADM23 Eos Stereo Studio Reverb
Crandall1
We are pleased to announce that we have successfully ported our Eos reverb plugin to the modular format. Those of you that use this reverb in plugin form know what it can do. The Eos algorithms were designed by Sean Costello under contract to Audio Damage, and we have gotten the original algorithms to run unaltered on an ARM7 at 48kHz / 24 bit quality (with 32-bit floating point DSP.)

The algorithms in general, and the Superhall algorithm in particular, were designed to recreate the very long rich halls and plates that you hear in Harold Budd / Brian Eno recordings. They are reverbs specifically meant for synth sounds, and work very well with Eurorack.

We have changed the parameter ranges a bit to suite the Euro environment, and bare some more experimental parts of the algorithms, since Euro is a more experimental space than normal DAW work, and we felt this was appropriate, but at moderate settings, the Eos hardware and the Eos plugin are indistinguishable. I put up an audio file with the same settings on both units, and exactly 50% of the people that responded guessed wrong.

FAQ:

1. When will it be done?
I don't know, but the vast majority of the software part is done, and we are making prototype panels next week to test the hardware part. I currently have the software running on our testbed platform, and this is what was appearing in my Instagram feed. My best guess based on past experience is real units by NAMM, with shipping thereafter. I will update this as I have more information.

2. How big is it?
It will be 14HP, and have a subset of the controls of the Eos plugin. We hard-set the more tweaky controls that nobody ever touches. This was an play to keep it from costing $600 and taking up half a rack. It will be like all our other double-stacked boards, so it will easily fit in a Make Noise skiff.

3. How much will it cost?
We won't know until we run a quote from our assembly house, which we can't do until we verify the hardware. It will be cheaper than Erbe-Verb. I'm guessing somewhere in the $440 range, but maybe less. Probably not more.

4. Will it have Infinite mode?
Of course. The infinite in Eos is one of its most-loved features, and the hardware will have it as well. We went one further, and gave you two different modes, plus a gate / trigger to activate it.

5. What is the maximum decay / RT60?

I'm still tweaking that. I had it up to a minute, but I felt this made the shorter values somewhat harder to dial in, at the expense of a minute-long reverb that not many people would use. So I may scale the knob, or shorten it to about 45 seconds. "Really long" is the current answer.

6. What will it look like?

I only have the panel layout done; I haven't done the artwork yet. But I made a quick mockup so you can see the controls and where they are. The layout won't change. The art will. I will put this same panel in Modular Grid, and update it as appropriate.

Aiyn Zahev
Fantastic. I'll be waiting.
Footkerchief
Crandall1 wrote:

I only have the panel layout done; I haven't done the artwork yet. But I made a quick mockup so you can see the controls and where they are. The layout won't change.

Lot of empty space there. Input attenuator?
Crandall1
Footkerchief wrote:

Lot of empty space there. Input attenuator?

It's not empty. It's chock full of stuff. You just can't see it on the panel.
bgcriswell
I can't wait! This is exactly what I've been wanting in euro.
Ras Thavas
Exciting, the demo I heard sounded great and having a dedicated Sean Costello reverb in hardware that takes less space than the Z-DSP is something I'd hoped for.

I notice no cv in for size and pre-delay, any reason other than panel space? I'd guess these two parameters aren't part of the "tweaky" controls that I'd agree could be hard set.
Clive
Excellent news.

I'd take a completely un-CV-able version if it meant you could add the Bass Mult and Hi freq/damp parameters. Or are they covered somehow with the 'colour' control?
Crandall1
Ras Thavas wrote:

I notice no cv in for size and pre-delay, any reason other than panel space? I'd guess these two parameters aren't part of the "tweaky" controls that I'd agree could be hard set.

The delays in the Eos algorithm are not interpolated, which means there's some clicking when they're adjusted. If a delay clicks every time you adjust the value, this means that there's going to be 30+ clicks, one for every delay in the unit, and they're all going to get recirculated in the decay.

tl;dr: size and predelay are white noise sources when they're modded. You won't want to be modding them.
Crandall1
Clive wrote:

I'd take a completely un-CV-able version if it meant you could add the Bass Mult and Hi freq/damp parameters. Or are they covered somehow with the 'colour' control?

You're an army of one.

But yeah, "color" is an omnibus descriptor for bass mult/freq and high mult/freq. There are two settings that I chose through experimentation, and the knob interpolates between the two.
Cfcarter
Very,very nice! w00t
pieter
I'm not familiar with the software; what's the shortest decay?
Jalopy
hyper
Ras Thavas
Crandall1 wrote:

tl;dr: size and predelay are white noise sources when they're modded. You won't want to be modding them.

Actually, I have a lot of Harvestman modules, I may well want to mod pre delay and size smile

All kidding aside, thanks for the feedback, this makes sense.
pinhole_sunrise
Lovely! You had me at Budd & Eno.
atrostor
Crandall1 wrote:
5. What is the maximum decay / RT60?
I'm still tweaking that. I had it up to a minute, but I felt this made the shorter values somewhat harder to dial in, at the expense of a minute-long reverb that not many people would use. So I may scale the knob, or shorten it to about 45 seconds. "Really long" is the current answer.

Would it make sense to assign the decay knob an exponential (or staged linear) response so that it would go between milliseconds to, say, 15 seconds 3/4 of the way, and from there on it would exponentially go up to 1 or 2 minutes until fully clockwise?
Koa
HELL YES.

Put me down for a preorder. I love my EOS plugin. All 3 of the algorithms are golden.

The superhall algor alone would be worth it.

Thank you guys Rockin' Banana!
Crandall1
pieter wrote:

None. All you hear is the early reflections. (Which are different depending on whether you've selected plate or Superhall.)
poppinger
This looks fantastic!
Flohr
Oh man... Also had me at Eno and Budd. hyper
kanhvass
Awsome :-)
pieter
Crandall1 wrote:
pieter wrote:

None. All you hear is the early reflections. (Which are different depending on whether you've selected plate or Superhall.)

Thanks. I was planning an Erbeverb down the line, but now I need to re-think that. I hope somebody will do a compare and contrast when it's out.
ben_hex
awesome! smile very much looking forward to this one.
Dogma
So if I wanna know what this sounds like download the eon software demo? My erb verb may need a new home
Crandall1
Dogma wrote:
So if I wanna know what this sounds like download the eon software demo? My erb verb may need a new home

One of the sounds in this file is the hardware, and the other is the plugin. See if you can guess which is which.

https://octave.is/audiodamage/eos-hardware-v-software
bobbcorr
Which one is which?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next [all]
Page 1 of 18