MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

2HP oscillator (opinions?)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author 2HP oscillator (opinions?)
ping panic
Hi guys and gals!

I'm looking for a little band of 3 of the same oscs to partner the quantimator.

They're going to live inside a 9U-84hp case so I need them to be as little as possible.

Anybody has opinions on the 2HP-OSC?

thanks...

uops, it seems the Ana is the 2HP-Osc
Hovercraft
Recently got the 2HP oscillator and love it. Amazing quality in 2HP. Haven't pushed the tracking yet, but will test it and report back.
ping panic
Hovercraft wrote:
Recently got the 2HP oscillator and love it. Amazing quality in 2HP. Haven't pushed the tracking yet, but will test it and report back.

thanks!
cocco88
curious too about 2hp products

now i'm using a pico VCO (3hp and wavetable) and i'm enjoying it so much, buying one more soon
Summa
AFAIK 2HP is made by Qu-Bit so my guess is that the Ana will not be realised hmmm..... I wouldn't want to have my vcos smaller than 4HP (I have three Dixie v1) those tiny knobs are.....tiny..
matttech
The sine is very clean, it FM's and syncs nicely too...and goes down to LFO rates
ping panic
Summa wrote:
AFAIK 2HP is made by Qu-Bit so my guess is that the Ana will not be realised hmmm..... I wouldn't want to have my vcos smaller than 4HP (I have three Dixie v1) those tiny knobs are.....tiny..

Yep, I agree but only want them for boring chords. For blips tics shhhium zips and zops I have bigger oscs

matttech wrote:
The sine is very clean, it FM's and syncs nicely too...and goes down to LFO rates

Thanks Matt, I'll drop you an email
Tenderosa
I only got one to FM/mix with the STO but it sounds very nice alone, all of the waveforms are clean & pure & tracks better than the STO perhaps. High frequency sounds are especially nice.
Whelm
Summa wrote:

I believe 2HP is more of a fork from Qu-Bit than a branch of Qu-Bit, if you know what I mean.
Blairio
The Qu-Bit EON is another contender. Envelope Oscillator and Noise generator, all in 2HP. I took delivery of mine three weeks ago, and it is very impressive.

It can do:
    Envelope and Looped Envelope
    VCO and LFO
    Noise, and random gates

The only issue I have noticed is that the internal quantised pitch scaling is not quite as accurate as other stand alone scale quantisers...
shellfritsch
Sounds great, tracks well, seems quite stable after a brief warm up. I have 2 in a lunchbox. Love em!
wsy
Blairio wrote:
The Qu-Bit EON is another contender. Envelope Oscillator and Noise generator, all in 2HP. I took delivery of mine three weeks ago, and it is very impressive.

It can do:
    Envelope and Looped Envelope
    VCO and LFO
    Noise, and random gates

The only issue I have noticed is that the internal quantised pitch scaling is not quite as accurate as other stand alone scale quantisers...

This was the motivation for the QAO - Quantize Arpeggiate Oscillate. nanners

Free, open-source, GPLed. The only downside is you can't go back to EON because Qu-bit didn't release a download (yet).

- Bill (full disclosure, I wrote QAO. Now I really love having it in my rack)
ping panic
Got two from matttech some days ago.
They sound really nice and track well.

Just one question about it:
The module has 4 trimmers but no explanation of them in the manual.

Has someone tried to calibrate it or know what are they used for?
ping panic
Bump with the awesome and fast answer from 2hp themselves

Quote:
There are five trim pots on the Osc module.

The multi-turn trim pot at the top of the circuit board is for calibrating the 1V/Octave pitch tracking.
The second trim pot directly beneath the 1V/Oct trim pot will change the shape of the Triangle Wave.
The third trim pot will change the width of the positive side of the sine wave.
The fourth trim pot will change the roundness of both the positive and negative sides of the sine wave.
The fifth trim pot will change the width of the negative side of the sine wave.

The third and fifth trim pots will make your sine wave louder.
Doing this will result in a sine wave with a slightly wider shape.

Great customer service Rockin' Banana! Rockin' Banana! Rockin' Banana!
GuyaGuy
ping panic wrote:
Bump with the awesome and fast answer from 2hp themselves

Quote:

The multi-turn trim pot at the top of the circuit board is for calibrating the 1V/Octave pitch tracking.
The second trim pot directly beneath the 1V/Oct trim pot will change the shape of the Triangle Wave.
The fourth trim pot will change the roundness of both the positive and negative sides of the sine wave.

Great customer service Rockin' Banana! Rockin' Banana! Rockin' Banana!

Thanks for posting this! I just got mine a couple of weeks ago. Comparing it to the Dixie, I found the square almost identical, but the 2hp's sine and triangle are a bit pinched and quieter in comparison. That's not always a bad thing as it can deliver a more focused sound, but it's good to know that the trim pots allow for modifying the shape and volume.

It's a solid little VCO.
thumbs up
Jaypee
matttech wrote:

Ah you again! razz

I just received my 2HP OSC.I think something is not right, I tried to connect to two diff doepfer power supply, same results:

2HP OSC sine wave output:

Omega Phi II sine wave output:

The 2HP sounds very 'fuzzy'.
My doepfer sounds very like the Omega Phi II.

bought the 2Hp because I wanted a clean sine wave... :(

Any one can test his own 2HP OSC? we're not worthy help
I recorded it through an ES-6 btw.
Jaypee
Tried the other outputs and they sound like my other oscillators. Perfect.
But the sine? Not clean! waah
matttech
the one I tried was definitely very clean

have you tried messing with the trimpots described in the post above?

with my tiptop z3000 I had to trim the shape as soon as I got it, as the sine was very buzzy. Once trimmed it was fine

not tried it with the 2hp one though, as the one I tested was clean out of the box

All depends on your power supply. I'd wait a little bit of time after switching the power on before you start trimming too, as it may change during warming up (the z3000 definitely did - you could hear it)
Jaypee
I unplugged all my modules except my ES3/ES-6 and 2HP OSC.
Same results.

What I don't understand is the fact other outputs are absolutely OK.
Will do more test this week end.
Cheers!
matttech
Did you trim it though?
matttech
There are three separate trimpots for adjusting the sine wave shape... which won't affect your other waves

If these aren't set correctly your other waves might be ok, but the sine could not be.
Jaypee
matttech wrote:
There are three separate trimpots for adjusting the sine wave shape... which won't affect your other waves

If these aren't set correctly your other waves might be ok, but the sine could not be.

Oh i missed it. Gonna try right now.
As mentionnes above, there is nothing on manual about it.
Let's see!
matttech
Details on trimmers, according to post above:

Quote:

Jaypee
I finally sent the module back to Juno.

I managed to get a clean sine wave. Not as clean as my doepfer and not as clean as my Omega Phi 2 but it's OK.
Enough to use it as a modulator.

A thing about sync:

I spent ages on it. I was not able to get hard sync.
So I contacted 2HP. Sent audiofile, screenshot etc...

2HP answered:

"the Sync on the Osc is very subtle and does not behave like most Sync inputs.
It's really more of a soft sync input than a hard sync input"

Except that the manual mentioned:

"5. SYNC:
Phase synchronization control voltage input (Hard Sync)"

I bought it for its hard sync mainly. So...back to Juno!
meh
evs
anyone knows how slow the 2hp - vco can get as a lfo?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2