MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index

FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Working on fixing the 'session logged out' issue - please log out and log back in as there is a new cookie name. It MAY be worse for a while, sorry. We'll see... I'm working on it. Thanks

Easiest/best way to rack Frac units in 3u?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Author Easiest/best way to rack Frac units in 3u?

dubstephead

Hello, I have about 900 hp of Doepfer style Eurorack space in a travel case and was wondering what would be a good (easy) conversion technique to fill some of that with Frac modules and possibly some 5u units?

Was also wondering about power supply's? Should I just buy a +15 / -15 supply or is there a way to use some of my (monster, Trogotronic m/15 higher power system) Euro PSU's juice to power up some Frac's?

Thank you so much for any info!

werock

It won't work very well trying to mount Frac modules in the same set of rails as your Euro stuff, as the mounting holes are a slightly different pitch. The best bet would be to use one set of rails for Frac only.

I'm using Vector rails for my new Frac case so they can be used, you just end up with about 2mm of the top/bottom of the front panel going beyond the rails - I use the vector rails that don't have a lip on them because of that.

You will need a +/- 15v power supply, although some modules may work on a 12v supply, it will be a bit hit and miss. They are designed for +/- 15v.

drumsofd00m

I seem to recall firmly that Hinton's PSU can have a +/-12V tap when the main connectors are +/-15, and possibly vice versa. I use a standard 15V one and have been happy with it. Note that Hinton uses several distribution cards per unit so one tap would be able to power several modules (e.g. 15V cards have seven connectors each).

However both that and most Blacet modules won't fit in any typical shallow Eurorack cases and are better placed in more common studio racks.

Some modules can be adapted OR may run on either Vpp swing without mods except for the connectors, but I'd definitely ask each manufacturer about each module before attempting that instead of relying on forum replies.

Can't comment on any Euro PSUs. Maybe instead of a full cross posting to both forums keep it more specific to each topic.

e-grad

Several years ago I mounted one or more Blacet modules in a Eurorack. Keep in mind Eurorack is a mounting standard for various application incl. lab stuff. There are Euro rack mounting rails w/out the "lip" oppossed to the "lipped" rails Doepfer is using.

You'll want a mounting rail w/out such a "lip". However, I cannot recall wether I was able to mount Frac and Euro in the same frame -probably yes. You'll have to check the distance of the faceplate's upper and lower mounting holes for both Frac and Euro. I doubt that Frac and Euro will sit nicely side by side without gaps.

Get yourself one rack of Frac. At least my Frac mounted in an Euro rack had looked shitty anyway.

fracmonkey

You will probably want more than one row of Frac at some point so it might just be better to go for the double row Blacet rails and PS800 with PSCONN3. Plug and play, not much trouble.

dubstephead

e-grad wrote:
Several years ago I mounted one or more Blacet modules in a Eurorack. Keep in mind Eurorack is a mounting standard for various application incl. lab stuff. There are Euro rack mounting rails w/out the "lip" oppossed to the "lipped" rails Doepfer is using.

You'll want a mounting rail w/out such a "lip". However, I cannot recall wether I was able to mount Frac and Euro in the same frame -probably yes. You'll have to check the distance of the faceplate's upper and lower mounting holes for both Frac and Euro. I doubt that Frac and Euro will sit nicely side by side without gaps.

Get yourself one rack of Frac. At least my Frac mounted in an Euro rack had looked shitty anyway.

Thank you! I have 900hp of 3u Without the lip:) I'm gonna try to mount them together for now as I just got a few Metalbox modules on the way and want to nanners as soon as possible. Will try to post pics to see if it works. Would just buy a Frac-Rak but I have a roadcase and I'm trying to make the ultimate portable modular.

dubstephead

fracmonkey wrote:
You will probably want more than one row of Frac at some point so it might just be better to go for the double row Blacet rails and PS800 with PSCONN3. Plug and play, not much trouble.

Thank you so much for the reply. Yes I I know I will, I'm just trying to build a 1000hp portable case atm and want all my favorite modules in there. Only got money for one project at a time:/ Gonna try and get some 5u's and even some weird 2u's in there as well and a full distortion/tube ( Metasonix thumbs up ) pedal board. Gonna try to post pictures if it works.

dubstephead

werock wrote:
It won't work very well trying to mount Frac modules in the same set of rails as your Euro stuff, as the mounting holes are a slightly different pitch. The best bet would be to use one set of rails for Frac only.

I'm using Vector rails for my new Frac case so they can be used, you just end up with about 2mm of the top/bottom of the front panel going beyond the rails - I use the vector rails that don't have a lip on them because of that.

You will need a +/- 15v power supply, although some modules may work on a 12v supply, it will be a bit hit and miss. They are designed for +/- 15v.

Thank you for the insight. luckily I have the rails without the lip. Will try to post pics if it works.

dubstephead

drumsofd00m wrote:
I seem to recall firmly that Hinton's PSU can have a +/-12V tap when the main connectors are +/-15, and possibly vice versa. I use a standard 15V one and have been happy with it. Note that Hinton uses several distribution cards per unit so one tap would be able to power several modules (e.g. 15V cards have seven connectors each).

However both that and most Blacet modules won't fit in any typical shallow Eurorack cases and are better placed in more common studio racks.

Some modules can be adapted OR may run on either Vpp swing without mods except for the connectors, but I'd definitely ask each manufacturer about each module before attempting that instead of relying on forum replies.

Can't comment on any Euro PSUs. Maybe instead of a full cross posting to both forums keep it more specific to each topic.

Thank you for the insight. Checking out the Hinton supply's right now. It seems I will just buy a dedicated Frac Psu to be safe. Don't want to damage my Metalbox modules in any way!

dubstephead

Got my MetalBox/Cgs tube module a bit ago and my Cynare should be here tomorrow. I'm really excited because I got the unit to fit perfectly in my Eurocase!
I just had to unscrew the 8 inch pcb/tube sticking out the back, lay it flat in the case, and the module sticks past the top rail a little further than a Euro modules but still looks and fits great applause
lucky I have about an inch from my top rail to the edge of my case so all is good. Now I just gotta put a static-proof bag aroung the pcb to be safe, add a Frac Psu, and Hopefully everything will be ready to go!

Hopefully I can upload some pics once its all done.

acidblue

Damn it dubstephead your avatar is damn distracting.
Who is that anyway?

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Page 1 of 1