MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Studio monitors - what are you using
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author Studio monitors - what are you using
h4ndcrafted
Old photo, but been using BM5a Mrk 2 and Equator D5s the past 3 years

Mavehelm
JBL the best cool
hairychris
KRK Rokit 5s, my "studio" being the corner of my living room.

They get a lot of stick but I also have a friend who's a professional recording engineer and he uses them in his control room. seriously, i just don't get it
Sinamsis
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
Behringer B2031 (Truth). As a circuit designer, I want to hear exactly what my circuits are doing, without any flattering bottom end or whatever.


Ha this makes me feel better. I used to rock a pair of these for years (I've switched to Focal Twin6 Be). But the Behringer Truths weren't bad. And they certainly were not flattering haha. I think I had the 3030s though.
listentoaheartbeat
Klein & Hummel O300D (click for my post in the long studio monitors thread)
damase
Focal CMS50--- i like them
More important though ill add that they sounded soooo much better once i upgraded interfaces... It was shocking. Switching from apogee to antelope made everything much clear-er and much less boomy. So dont undervalue what the D to A will do to the sound
Tronman
Mavehelm wrote:
JBL the best cool


Yup, the industry standard.
nostalghia
Tronman wrote:
Mavehelm wrote:
JBL the best cool


Yup, the industry standard.


That may have been true in the 60s-early 80s when most studios were still using big passive monitors located near the front of the control room, and separate power amps. They also had a pair of Auratones or Yamaha NS-10s on top of the console to make sure mixes would translate on less full range speakers in a consumer's home and car.

These days, you are more likely to find high end active monitors from companies like ATC, Genelec, Focal and Barefoot in the control rooms of top recording studios (not that JBL doesn't still make a good product as well).

By the way, we may have all lost sight of the fact that the OP is now more interested in "fun to listen to" speaker recommendations than accurate or neutral monitors like he used in the past. Which actually makes it easier to stay under $1K for a pair.

"So I used to look for ruler flat monitors and had a Sexy treated room. I have none of that so it's purely for enjoyment "
TheColdUnknown
Got a pair of M-Audio BX8a. I haven't really used any other monitor as long as these, but they are pretty good for the price
DiscoDevil
nostalghia wrote:
Tronman wrote:
Mavehelm wrote:
JBL the best cool


Yup, the industry standard.


That may have been true in the 60s-early 80s when most studios were still using big passive monitors located near the front of the control room, and separate power amps. They also had a pair of Auratones or Yamaha NS-10s on top of the console to make sure mixes would translate on less full range speakers in a consumer's home and car.

These days, you are more likely to find high end active monitors from companies like ATC, Genelec, Focal and Barefoot in the control rooms of top recording studios (not that JBL doesn't still make a good product as well).

By the way, we may have all lost sight of the fact that the OP is now more interested in "fun to listen to" speaker recommendations than accurate or neutral monitors like he used in the past. Which actually makes it easier to stay under $1K for a pair.

"So I used to look for ruler flat monitors and had a Sexy treated room. I have none of that so it's purely for enjoyment "



A large pair of JBL are fun to listen to.
nostalghia
Indeed they are-no argument there.
I was just quibbling with the "industry standard" label as being a bit dated, not the "fun to listen to" part. And I'm guessing Dogma doesn't have budget or space for a pair of big JBLs. The LSR 6332 with 12" LF drivers are about $1500 ea. Could always check the used market of course.
DiscoDevil
nostalghia wrote:
Indeed they are-no argument there.
I was just quibbling with the "industry standard" label as being a bit dated, not the "fun to listen to" part. And I'm guessing Dogma doesn't have budget or space for a pair of big JBLs. The LSR 6332 with 12" LF drivers are about $1500 ea. Could always check the used market of course.


My 4412s can be picked up for less than $1000 a pair. Not much in that price range that can touch them, IMO.
minimalist
I have been using Blueroom Minipods for almost 20 years. They are a little bright but I like them. I will invest in larger speakers in the next few months once my house is renovated. Leaning towards Neumann KH310s but the little black passives are staying forever.

Also thinking about PSI and Geithains. I need to do some testing but not until the house is done.
franman69
JBL LSR305 is hard to beat for under $300 a pair.. Really smooth sounding full range speakers. I have a Yamaha Sub as well.
Standup
You probably know this, but go listen to a lot of monitors. They are all different. Some will appeal, some will not. When I did this many years ago, I picked JBL LSR28's as the best compromise of what I mostly wanted and what I mostly did not.

Listen to a bunch all together if possible. Or order a few pairs from a dealer with a liberal return poilcy, listen to them in your (hopefully treated) space, and return the one's that don't win.

Hope that helps, monitors are very personal, and other folks' recommendations are not necessarily going to work for you. Good luck, enjoy the search.
chvad
Using the same pair of Behringer Truth (B2031) monitors and matching sub for around 13 years now I think. Always get the job done.
Dogma
Thanks for all you recommendations all!

So Jbl huh? My ears are so used to the polite European sound that the JBL (while my very first speakers when I bought my first hi-fi) never really registered.


Yeah I'm not concerned about translation or any of that anymore - I'm looking for some nice speakers for my own ears to wiggle with
phase ghost
Samson Rubicon R8's.

I don't think they make them anymore. Every once in a while I consider replacing them, but my mixes transfer well enough, and they work. Sooo, I'll probably keep them until they stop working.

Personally, I need the 8" form factor for teh subz. Shit, sometimes I want to add a sub to these. So, I can't even imagine using something smaller. But, if I had a small room or volume considerations, I could probably manage.
induktor
I've had Focal SM9's for the past year and a half. Before that I had Alesis M1 Active MKII's for over 12 years. They were actually pretty decent for the money
listentoaheartbeat
minimalist wrote:
Leaning towards Neumann KH310s but the little black passives are staying forever.

Also thinking about PSI and Geithains. I need to do some testing but not until the house is done.


The O300D (now KH310) have been my monitor speaker of choice for over ten years now. It's interesting you mention Geithain. They have always tempted me, however the ones with proper bass response cost around double the price of the KH310 or more. They are absolutely incredible though, when I heard some of their larger models in a good room I was totally blown away by the sound stage and bass reproduction.

The KH310 reproduce everything down to C0 at 33 Hz, however they will start to compress at high listening levels. This is something to consider. I am working in our flat at 80-90 dBspl (pink noise), which they handle with ease even when playing bass-heavy program material. But in a studio, where you can and possibly want to listen louder from time to time, I'd miss some headroom. I tried a pair of subwoofers when I had a studio room, however I never managed to get the setup right. I prefer full range speakers.

If you like the KH310, you might also want to consider the ATC SCM25APro. Just like the Geithains, they are more expensive, however they do sound fantastic. They pretty much translate the O300D/KH310 to a ported concept, I even think they were a direct response to the success of the O300D, which popularized 3-way near field monitoring.
vingtdieux
Focals are very good !
vingtdieux
I'm very happy with Genelec 8040.
Dogma
Thanks - yeah I coming FROM focal twin be's..

I fixed my 2882 last night - I'm back in stereo....what a joke...anyways I've got some tiny little eris 4.5 which are ok but tiny in every way compated to the twins


Does anyone know the sonnodyne 100ak's?


Oh I can't stand the rokkits if that helps
minimalist
listentoaheartbeat wrote:


The O300D (now KH310) have been my monitor speaker of choice for over ten years now. It's interesting you mention Geithain. They have always tempted me, however the ones with proper bass response cost around double the price of the KH310 or more. They are absolutely incredible though, when I heard some of their larger models in a good room I was totally blown away by the sound stage and bass reproduction.

The KH310 reproduce everything down to C0 at 33 Hz, however they will start to compress at high listening levels. This is something to consider. I am working in our flat at 80-90 dBspl (pink noise), which they handle with ease even when playing bass-heavy program material. But in a studio, where you can and possibly want to listen louder from time to time, I'd miss some headroom. I tried a pair of subwoofers when I had a studio room, however I never managed to get the setup right. I prefer full range speakers.

If you like the KH310, you might also want to consider the ATC SCM25APro. Just like the Geithains, they are more expensive, however they do sound fantastic. They pretty much translate the O300D/KH310 to a ported concept, I even think they were a direct response to the success of the O300D, which popularized 3-way near field monitoring.


I tend to listen at lower volumes and only crank it up occasionally. I'm drawn to sealed cabinets as I've been led to believe they are tighter in the bottom end at lower levels. This may be nonsense but it is informing my short list along with other speakers I just want to hear.

Another I like the look of is the Unity Audio Pebble/BamBam combination. This 4 speaker setup is very appealing but I haven't heard much about them.

I'm sure the ATC 25s are great, but probably more than I want to spend. The Geithain I am looking at is ported on the top. I think it is the 906. The Carthoid (?) models are serious money.
prscrptn
KRK VXT4's + SUB; great for near field monitoring thumbs up
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 2 of 4
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group