MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Studio monitors - what are you using
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 [all]
Author Studio monitors - what are you using
thetwlo
dubonaire wrote:
I just want to point out this is a 2.5-year-old request from the OP.

true, but good monitors, stay "good" , it was a "request" when the OP posted it, it's since turned into a discussion.
FOCAL CMS 65 here! sold on them!
dubonaire
thetwlo wrote:
dubonaire wrote:
I just want to point out this is a 2.5-year-old request from the OP.

true, but good monitors, stay "good" , it was a "request" when the OP posted it, it's since turned into a discussion.
FOCAL CMS 65 here! sold on them!

OK, I'm down with that. I still think Neumann KH speakers are amazing. I'm totally blown away by how my KH120s sound and my room is not that small now. A big part of me wants to get the KH420s because my new studio is large enough.

What I'd like to understand is - flat speakers are accused of being clinical and not pleasurable but the KH speakers are a pleasure to listen to, and no one questions their flat frequency response. So what's happening there? Do response curves tell everything that is important?

Dutch & Dutch speakers are the hot new thing on Gearslutz, and I suspect they really are that good. Anyone here with first hand experience?
The Grump
For listening enjoyment and working on rough ideas, the Focusrite Eris-8's and 10" sub are a decent combo, and only $700 as a package from Sweetwater at the moment.
Panason
Quote:
Do response curves tell everything that is important?

As always, science does not have the full picture. [ducks for cover]
calaveras
This makes me think of a thread on talkbass the bass player forum. Some guy had it in his head that you should be able to mimic anything from an SVT all tube amp to a Gallien Krueger solid state, with a very very precise graphic eq.
He just couldn’t accept that timbre was anything more than an eq profile.
In college I learned a useful term, transfer function. Which describes not just equalization profile, but also compression, expansion and limiting applied in a sound reproduction system.
Often left out of this is that every speaker system introduces harmonic distortion and time domain errors. It’s really a matter of whether they use magic fairy dust to paper over these symptoms, for a pretty, euphoric sound or leave them bare.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 [all]
Page 4 of 4