MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

FSOL "Standalone Pod"/Eurorack Module HALia
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author FSOL "Standalone Pod"/Eurorack Module HALia
scrunday
According to a post Gaz made on the FSOL (Future Sound of London) Facebook page, the band and Digitana are developing a "Standalone Pod"/Eurorack Module called HALia. Further, they made a whole track with nothing but the module on their latest release on the track in the video below.

https://youtu.be/kMOWuUWDvpg
Daisuk
Well, if thats the sound of one module, I sure as hell want it. hihi
Footkerchief
If anyone else is wondering, here's the post, which contains no useful information: https://www.facebook.com/34897435627/videos/10155063617480628/
Purveyor2
Quote:

One hell of a synth voice, sounds like a hybrid - digital osc/noise with the rest analog? I don't think there's an esq-1 or Wave style synth voice on the market - would be awesome.
sleepgardens
wow nice, the track is really good.
guestt
FSOL - bit of a blast from the past, one of the first electronica artists I ever really liked back in the day..!

Sounds good, keen for more details on the module, sounds fantastic smile
Daisuk
Baddcr wrote:
FSOL - bit of a blast from the past, one of the first electronica artists I ever really liked back in the day..!

Sounds good, keen for more details on the module, sounds fantastic smile

Same here! Discovering them was like tripping down some stairs and falling into wonderland. They're amazing. That track posted is lush as hell, I bought the album straight away. Want the module too (if that is in fact true). Sounds absolutely lovely. I'd love to know more. w00t
guestt
Excellent - I agree!!

I seem to remember a little crowd of us sitting around one evening, (erm...not doing anything in particular) the first time any of us ever heard Lifeforms... it was quite an experience!

Pretty sure I still have the Lifeforms VHS tape somewhere grin
Daisuk
Baddcr wrote:
Excellent - I agree!!

I seem to remember a little crowd of us sitting around one evening, (erm...not doing anything in particular) the first time any of us ever heard Lifeforms... it was quite an experience!

Nice! Mr. Green Dead Cities was the first one for me. I still hear it once or twice a year, and it still amazes me how fresh it sounds. It's like it's alive. I know I probably sound like an old geezer when saying this, but it's hard to come across that kind of originality and quality in electronic music today, in my opinion. wink But I know I sound like an old dud, haha.

Way off topic here now, but I always get goose bumps when this one starts. Mr. Green

nrg242
i can imagine a new version of ISDN done with all of those radio snippets processed through a modular rig. ISDN i guess already sounds like an entire album made with a Radio Music and synthesizers.
guestt
Well... I am an old(ish) geezer, so I don't mind sounding like that!!

I agree, music today always seems like a bit of a rehash, unusual to find something truly original.

you kids get off my lawn

But I also read something a while back about some research that said at some point in your life you latch onto certain musical releases and they become definitive, the ones to which you compare everything else. I guess it's inevitable and pretty obvious really.

FSOL were always pioneers in technology, ISDN was a first too, well worth reading about if you don;t know what they got up to! They used the ISDN lines to transmit live broadcasts around the world, very cool!

p.s. great track daisuk!!
Ramases
It sounds nice. Certainly will be interesting to see the details of what they've come up with.

FSOL story - I remember the day I picked up a pristine copy of ISDN in a charity shop in London for all of £3 I think. The staff must have thought I was on something given the huge grin on my face when I went to pay for it!
guestt
Here's Lifeforms - both parts, kick back and let yourself go, it's marvellous!!!

Got me thinking, those metallic otherworldly hits are precisely what Elements tickles me so much with... good to reflect and see my musical tastes haven't shifted that much in 23 years!!

Tales of Ephidrina well worth a listen too...

And if we're really going to let the topic drift, Manchester in the early 90''s was a total blast:

https://www.timeout.com/manchester/blog/17-signs-you-were-on-the-manch ester-club-scene-in-the-90s-121114
scrunday
For those who have been sleeping on FSOL's more recent output, Environment Five is really special, in my opinion and, seemingly, among other die-hard fans.

As far as wondering if the announcement of the module is true or not...FSOL have been pretty transparent about their intended releases on social media for a number of years now. I believe it.
guestt
scrunday wrote:
For those who have been sleeping on FSOL's more recent output, Environment Five is really special, in my opinion and, seemingly, among other die-hard fans..

Guilty as charged! Will take that ... cheers Guinness ftw!
giftculture
Baddcr wrote:
Excellent - I agree!!

I looked *forever* for the Lifeforms VHS tape and never found it, I was convinced that it was the stuff of legends!
giftculture
scrunday wrote:
For those who have been sleeping on FSOL's more recent output, Environment Five is really special, in my opinion and, seemingly, among other die-hard fans.

As far as wondering if the announcement of the module is true or not...FSOL have been pretty transparent about their intended releases on social media for a number of years now. I believe it.

I'll have to check it out - they lost me with The Isness, but FSOL Lifeforms was the album that convinced me to stop playing in rock bands and start making electronic music smile
grep
I still pull out Tales of Ephidrina every once in a while. Magical!
EATyourGUITAR
Daisuk wrote:
Way off topic here now, but I always get goose bumps when this one starts. Mr. Green

I must attest they got me hooked on synths. the wipeout soundtracks got me hooked on synths. with later albums (games) FSOL showed up and got me more hooked on synths.

Rockin' Banana! Rockin' Banana! Rockin' Banana! Rockin' Banana! Rockin' Banana! Rockin' Banana! Rockin' Banana! Rockin' Banana! Rockin' Banana! Rockin' Banana! Rockin' Banana! Rockin' Banana!
Paranormal Patroler
Ha! I haven't heard that Wipeout album in ages lol Good catch!
starthief
I was hooked on synths long before, but Wipeout did get me into FSOL thumbs up
m0d
My FSOL love started with Accelerator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZ_uatebgco
wellurban
Purveyor2 wrote:
Quote:

One hell of a synth voice, sounds like a hybrid - digital osc/noise with the rest analog? I don't think there's an esq-1 or Wave style synth voice on the market - would be awesome.

That was my first thought: the last time I heard a single-module demo of such complexity it was the Shapeshifter, so my mind immediately went to some blockbuster digital synth voice module. But then again it's probably multitracked, possibly with external effects and presumably something for sequencing and/or modulation, and when I listened again I heard mostly analogue sounds apart from some choral voices and bird chirps, and even they could conceivably be analogue with some very clever patching.

Then I looked up Digitana's website (http://www.synthi.co.uk/) and saw that apparently everything they do is EMS-related. Given FSOL's extensive use of the Synthi, this makes perfect sense. Could this be a Synthi-inspired analogue synth voice? If they manage to pack a couple of VCOs, filter and trapezoid generator into a reasonable-size module, that could generate most or all of the sounds in Symphony for Halia, then that would be amazing!
amnesia
I was into FSOL before they were FSOL. They recorded under different names on the Rave trax CD with a Duck on the cover. Anyway I followed them solidly right up to Dead Cities and lost interest, but earlier this year I started to get back into them big time! Bought all the missing releases from DC to now. Environments 6 and 6.5 are amazing!
pieter
amnesia wrote:
I was into FSOL before they were FSOL.

You mean before they were cool? razz
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2