MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

UAD Apollo ES-3 and ES-6
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Author UAD Apollo ES-3 and ES-6
newgreyarea
Hey all!

I just picked up an ES-3/6 combo to use with my UAD Apollo 8.
I was gonna use it to send audio out to the modular to process and return. It seems to be working.

I have a question regarding the ES-6 as there appears (in the UAD software mixer) to be audio coming in when nothing is plugged in. Meaning I see green in the meter on the first channel, a little more on the 2nd, even more on the 3rd etc. Each has a bit more going on that the one before. . . . . but I can't hear it in my headphones. My concern is that something is happening that I can't hear and I don't want it messing up my recordings.

Anyone else see this?

My setting may all be incorrect. What should my UAD clock be set to? And Sample rate? I'm guessing this should be the same in Ableton. I've obviously never used an ADAT. Never could afford one when I was younger and they were still a thing.

Thanks in advance!
-b
os
You're seeing the DC offsets on the ES-6 channels. If you're using it for audio (not CVs), put a high pass filter or dedicated DC-blocking plug-in on the input tracks.
newgreyarea
os wrote:
You're seeing the DC offsets on the ES-6 channels. If you're using it for audio (not CVs), put a high pass filter or dedicated DC-blocking plug-in on the input tracks.

Aha!
OK. Well. . . . do you know of such a plug-in? What is the DC offset doing to my audio? Just trying to figure out where to put it in the chain. If it has to go first thing, then this setup most likely won't work as I'm not totally sure that UAD makes a DC-blocking plug-in. Just need to sort this out before it's too late to return them if it doesn't work.

If this is being generated by the ES-6 itself, there's nothing I could do in the hardware realm, correct?
os
Quote:
What is the DC offset doing to my audio?

Nothing. You can't hear DC.

A DC blocker is just a high-pass filter with a really low cutoff frequency. Try whatever you'd use to filter off mechanical rumble on a microphone, for example.
newgreyarea
os wrote:
Quote:
What is the DC offset doing to my audio?

Nothing. You can't hear DC.

A DC blocker is just a high-pass filter with a really low cutoff frequency. Try whatever you'd use to filter off mechanical rumble on a microphone, for example.

I'll look into that. I'm not the guy in charge of vocal recording. I do the noise making!
The problem I could see is that it would be some DSP heavy plug that I have to put on every channel. I'll poke around.
newgreyarea
Can this be solved in hardware? The cables or on the ES-6 itself?
os
It can't be changed in hardware.

Really, it shouldn't be anything to worry about. If it's not actually causing you a problem, why spend time fixing it?

Removing it is not DSP-heavy.
newgreyarea
os wrote:
It can't be changed in hardware.

Really, it shouldn't be anything to worry about. If it's not actually causing you a problem, why spend time fixing it?

Removing it is not DSP-heavy.

My DSP concerns are if I have to use a UAD plug to remove it as it will most likely be some plug that does a bunch of other stuff and happens to do what I need as well.

As far as it not hurting anything. . . .I'm ignorant to what it is doing to my audio so I think that was part of the original question. If it's not biggie and won't mess things up then I won't worry about it. . . I just didn't know. I just wasn't sure if it was adding some super low frequency hum that would show up elsewhere at the main studio when we are trying to mix or something.
os
You can remove it when mixing, if that's easier.

A quick google turns up this: http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/dc_offset.html
newgreyarea
os wrote:
You can remove it when mixing, if that's easier.

A quick google turns up this: http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/dc_offset.html

Cool, I have Audacity.

I guess my main concern was/is if I'm using UAD plug-ins(Preamps, eq's, modulation) it's essentially processing this DC stuff and I might not be able to remove whatever it is after the fact. If that means I can't record through my UAD plugs, then it's a deal breaker for me as I must be able to do that.
os
I can't believe that there's not a DC-blocker somewhere in UAD's arsenal, but I'm not the expert. I'm sure someone on a UAD forum could advise on how to remove DC offsets.
JadeCicada
I have a UA Apollo and an ES-3 and I can't figure out how to set this up for the life of me, any help would be much appreciated!
os
Where are you stuck? Basically you're plugging the ES-3 into the Apollo's ADAT output and then sending signals to those outputs in your DAW.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Page 1 of 1