MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

MARF 248r presets?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author MARF 248r presets?
flabby
I was watching this video with Suzanne Ciani and she talks about the 248r having presets 'that don't quite work'? Has anyone had issues with that? Not sure what she means.

Kent
A fine musician but not so strong in terms of being an educator or demonstrator. I like her music and have been to a couple of performances that I enjoyed. I would have walked out of this and stopped watching after 28+ minutes. Was there a goal in mind for what the audience would be able to take away from this by the conclusion? The premise seemed to be: 'Go up there and talk about a Buchla'.

I'm sure the fans will call me out.

Nothing against the OP for publicizing this video.
deltaphoenix
I agree with that assessment, Ken.

I would like to look at her 'cookbook" though.
djangosfire
The 248r MARF indeed has presets.

Here is a link to the manual for more detailed info:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0388/9729/files/B248-manual-rev2.0.p df?13202454220650888111

That being said, there was a new firmware released in November that fixed:

- added “scrolling” for auto stepping through stages (press and hold the “Stage No” switch)
- support for expander module
- self stop works
- it can be triggered by external clock
- program pulses work as they should when external clock is applied
- misc bug fixes

But as sometimes happens, a NEW bug appeared:

- preset storage AND recall is fouled up. It sometimes will save to preset, but choosing the location is random… of course this is wrong. Next rev goal is to fix this, and they are working on it right now.

Since installing the new (nov 2016) firmware, I personally have had good luck ONLY saving or recalling slot #1 . . . if you try to save or recall to any other location, it is erratic and risk a crash

The 248r MARF is a really deep and amazing module! I am blown aways with the possibilities that this module provides. Even just as a sequencer… the power is un-matched IMHO. But, then when you explore thinking of the MARF as a “highly programmable, multi-level event generator” - many new ideas can be realized!

Hope this helps,

Cheers!
- Adam
flabby
That's brilliant Adam, thank you very much.

I'm planning the early stages of a small system and I'd like to get the MARF in there. Funny you should answer because the system I was think of was pairing a 212r with the MARF and literally today I saw you'd done a short video of the two together. I was thinking 258j, 248r, 212r, 259r and one of the CV processing modules. Can't remember the number now.

It's gonna take me a while to take all this together but that's more or less the direction.
memes_33
flabby wrote:
I'm planning the early stages of a small system and I'd like to get the MARF in there. Funny you should answer because the system I was think of was pairing a 212r with the MARF and literally today I saw you'd done a short video of the two together. I was thinking 258j, 248r, 212r, 259r and one of the CV processing modules. Can't remember the number now.

this is pretty much the system i'm putting together with a 257. if i get my shit together before you i'd be happy to share my experiences. It's peanut butter jelly time!
flabby
memes_33 wrote:
flabby wrote:

this is pretty much the system i'm putting together with a 257. if i get my shit together before you i'd be happy to share my experiences. It's peanut butter jelly time!

That would be great yes! Likewise. Guinness ftw!
batchas
Like Adam said. With last firmware to this date there's a bug.

With the old firmware the presets can be saved and recalled.

EDIT: I first said that with previous firmware version not all parameters were saved, my bad. I made a mistake only checking with my ears late at night yesterday, instead of switching to the right stage address and see the LEDs on, showing that all was actually saved properly.
askthedust
With old firmware on my unit those parameters are saved as well I believe. I will double check.
batchas
askthedust wrote:
With old firmware on my unit those parameters are saved as well I believe. I will double check.

I check again this morning and I made a mistake yesterday.
I was looking at the wrong stage address part!!!
With previous firmware all paramaters are saved thumbs up

I'm gonna edit my previous post to avoid confusion for the readers.
batchas
batchas wrote:
askthedust wrote:

I check again this morning and I made a mistake yesterday.
I was looking at the wrong stage address part!!!

OK. I was not looking at the wrong place. The thing is just buggy.
Preset save/recall is buggy. This is my opinion.

I wanted to show you on video why, but then a new issue appeared. Right now after I made a quick video to show stage addressing via cv. I recalled a preset and boom, this time the votages get stucked and are impossibe to change afterwards via sliders.
Now I record on video every stage I do, so I'm sure it's this thing which is buggy, not me.
Hem... It's the thing, it's not me right?
Here's the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3YfatVl2MU

OH!!!
and now that I wanted to show on video what it does when i recall a preset where I first saved all parameters, all LEDs remains lighted on, like on the faulty unit which never worked. Scary...
batchas
Restarting the 248r a couple of times did it. The sliders are now reacting again, so I can chnage voltages and the LEDs are back to normal.
I will not use the save/recall function anymore for now. It's a shame cause it's the function which made me go for it.
There are some cool thing to do (using the time outputs as standard CV OUT when the unit is strobed being one of them).
askthedust
Hey
My 248r started behaving weird like yours at some point. I got the great advice from Todd to recalibrate it from times to times. I do it since, and never had any other problem.
batchas
askthedust wrote:
Hey
My 248r started behaving weird like yours at some point. I got the great advice from Todd to recalibrate it from times to times. I do it since, and never had any other problem.

Thanx a lot for the advice thumbs up thumbs up

I thought that the slider should be moved very slowly to catch back a value when it doe not do anything after preset recall, but like we see in the previous video it does not work all the time.

Really interesting that it works on yours after re-calib., like it has an incidence on the sliders which do not react or even have an influence on preset saving.
I will try it when I'm back on the system, no matter if ext. cv and volt/oct looks good like right now.
batchas
BTW, about sliders not always reacting after preset recall: I also checked yesterday that the DIP switch #1 is on ON. And it is. Actually seems logical as the voltages are stored. It's just like I said and did show in the previous video, that the sliders (randomly) do not change the values anymore, sometimes catch back, sometimes won't at all.
Will try recalib. then.
rec.Koner
SewerBadger wrote:
A fine musician but not so strong in terms of being an educator or demonstrator. I like her music and have been to a couple of performances that I enjoyed. I would have walked out of this and stopped watching after 28+ minutes. Was there a goal in mind for what the audience would be able to take away from this by the conclusion? The premise seemed to be: 'Go up there and talk about a Buchla'.

I'm sure the fans will call me out.

Nothing against the OP for publicizing this video.

Kind of. Still, some of her answers were interesting regarding her position about sequencing, live playing etc.
sempervirent
I think her comments around the 40:00+ mark about engineers taking shortcuts are spot on, actually... she is speaking plainly about her expectations of having things work reliably. "We" (speaking broadly of the forum in general) can sometimes be too accommodating about flaws with modules (including firmware bugs).

Also around 40:30 she says that she wants to take a more robust approach in "the new synth that I want to design" – is she talking about designing her own modules? I didn't watch the whole 50 minute, just caught this bit.
rec.Koner
I was too late to participate in quesioning

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/q-suzanne-ciani/

Anyway, was interesting to read about buchla 200 vs 200e regarding MARF

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/q-suzanne-ciani/1124985-200-vs-200e.ht ml
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/q-suzanne-ciani/1125940-euclidian-othe r-sequencers.html
batchas
After calibration, issue is still there. And this is the unit which is supposed to work, not the other one I have which does not (which I sent for repair after giving up on it).
All LEDs lighted on and it freezed a couple of days ago while I was trying to save/recall a preset (I shown this in a previous video), and now one preset is remembering that. Recalling preset 5 freezes all, all LEDs on...

I'd stay away from presets. That's my humble advice.
Minimoog56
SewerBadger wrote:
A fine musician but not so strong in terms of being an educator or demonstrator. I like her music and have been to a couple of performances that I enjoyed. I would have walked out of this and stopped watching after 28+ minutes.

I could happily watch Ms. Ciani reading her shopping list for an hour. Just glad she took the time to show her patches and fav modules. Her mishaps were charming. In the end it's her performance and composition not her pedagogy that I enjoy.
phonkmeister
rec.Koner wrote:
I was too late to participate in quesioning

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/q-suzanne-ciani/

Anyway, was interesting to read about buchla 200 vs 200e regarding MARF

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/q-suzanne-ciani/1124985-200-vs-200e.ht ml
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/q-suzanne-ciani/1125940-euclidian-othe r-sequencers.html

Super interesting, thanks!
phonkmeister
The new firmware seems to solve all the save/recall bugs, I was told. But I don't have a MArF yet, it arrives next tuesday, It's peanut butter jelly time! and then I'll tell you about it smile
askthedust
phonkmeister wrote:
The new firmware seems to solve all the save/recall bugs, I was told. But I don't have a MArF yet, it arrives next tuesday, It's peanut butter jelly time! and then I'll tell you about it smile

Anyone knows where we're at regarding these firlmware bugs? Do you guys know if there was any new fw released that fixes the storage/recall bugs and allow to use the 248 expander? Thanks
maxl0rd
Bump. Necro thread.

I also have a 248r marf with the older firmware, and I'd like to update it to the newer version that I have heard fixes the clocking bugs.

Is the current link to the 1.0 firmware on electricmusicstore the latest build?

Has anyone worked out how to actually do the update? I have an olimex jtag debugger which I figure I can use to load the hex file.
askthedust
maxl0rd wrote:
Bump. Necro thread.

I also have a 248r marf with the older firmware, and I'd like to update it to the newer version that I have heard fixes the clocking bugs.

Is the current link to the 1.0 firmware on electricmusicstore the latest build?

Has anyone worked out how to actually do the update? I have an olimex jtag debugger which I figure I can use to load the hex file.

Hey
I'm upgrading this week end to install the expander. Will report here. I've attached the 1.2 firmware.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2