ADM14 BoomTschak vs Mutant Machine?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

huffnPuff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

ADM14 BoomTschak vs Mutant Machine?

Post by huffnPuff » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:26 am

Anyone tried the two? Pros? Cons?

Multi Grooves
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Multi Grooves » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:32 am

I've been wondering in the same....
Last edited by Multi Grooves on Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

huffnPuff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by huffnPuff » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:55 pm

Battle of the titans! Discuss!

:hmm:

matttech
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by matttech » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:18 pm

I've got some Boomtschaks, but no Mutant Machine to compare it to I'm afraid!

huffnPuff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by huffnPuff » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:54 am

BT vs MM :fencing: :popcorn:

Multi Grooves
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Multi Grooves » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:29 pm

time to add:

Entity Bass Drum Synthesizer Steady State Fate ?

dash80
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dash80 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:34 pm

Multi Grooves wrote:time to add:

Entity Bass Drum Synthesizer Steady State Fate ?
+1
✦ you're my favorite, but we're phasing //

gonner
Common Wiggler

Post by gonner » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:16 pm

I can't keep up. I JUST got Akemie's. Curious to hear thoughts on this comparision though. I've only played around with the individual Mutant modules.

brianobush
Common Wiggler

Post by brianobush » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:06 pm

Just to bring this thread back to life. Obvious differences are the choice of waveforms available in each, with Machine having three vs two in Boomtschak.

Boomtschak:
[video][/video]

Machine:
[video][/video]

[video][/video]

TheRosskonian
Veteran Wiggler

Post by TheRosskonian » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:39 am

I've have both, you should too. :cloud:

Been meaning to reply to this thread when I don't have them locked into patches I'm working on. But I'll share what I can:

I've spent a lot more time with the Mutant Machine since it's been out longer. I haven't got to spend too much time noodling around with Boomtschak because it immediately fit into the past two pieces I've been working on as soon as it got into my rack. So please take my comments more as commentary on the individual modules themselves rather than a direct comparison as I've never sat down to pit them against each other.

With Boomtschak, I was able to create a sub-bass and a percussive whooshy noise hit very easily. So I suppose I will say the learning curve or sweet spots for Boomtschak are easier/faster to hit than the Mutant Machine, but only by a small margin, neither are very complicated.

I do like the Mutant Machine for snares, I almost always reach to it first for snares, it does toms rather well too. The strengths in it is the two oscillators you can mix together as well as the ability to get them to cycle between their wave forms. You can change the rate at which it cycles through the wave forms all without external modulation, which helps getting more metallic tones. It also allows you to patch in something else in place of the first oscillator while still mixing in the second.

The Boomtschak has better control over the shape of the decay since you have a dedicated knob for this. While I'm able to get some control over this on the Mutant Machine as well through the pitch decay and amount knobs, it's not as flexible. The Mutant Machine's pitch does not track 1v/oct, but I was able to get a few sequences out of it without too much issue since there's a dedicated attenuator.

Hope this helps. I'll try to answer what I can between the two. I really don't see myself parting with either one. The past two tracks I've worked on have used both modules and this will likely be the case for the next two.

drowld
Ultra Wiggler

Post by drowld » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:22 am

TheRosskonian wrote:I've have both, you should too. :cloud:

Been meaning to reply to this thread when I don't have them locked into patches I'm working on. But I'll share what I can:

I've spent a lot more time with the Mutant Machine since it's been out longer. I haven't got to spend too much time noodling around with Boomtschak because it immediately fit into the past two pieces I've been working on as soon as it got into my rack. So please take my comments more as commentary on the individual modules themselves rather than a direct comparison as I've never sat down to pit them against each other.

With Boomtschak, I was able to create a sub-bass and a percussive whooshy noise hit very easily. So I suppose I will say the learning curve or sweet spots for Boomtschak are easier/faster to hit than the Mutant Machine, but only by a small margin, neither are very complicated.

I do like the Mutant Machine for snares, I almost always reach to it first for snares, it does toms rather well too. The strengths in it is the two oscillators you can mix together as well as the ability to get them to cycle between their wave forms. You can change the rate at which it cycles through the wave forms all without external modulation, which helps getting more metallic tones. It also allows you to patch in something else in place of the first oscillator while still mixing in the second.

The Boomtschak has better control over the shape of the decay since you have a dedicated knob for this. While I'm able to get some control over this on the Mutant Machine as well through the pitch decay and amount knobs, it's not as flexible. The Mutant Machine's pitch does not track 1v/oct, but I was able to get a few sequences out of it without too much issue since there's a dedicated attenuator.

Hope this helps. I'll try to answer what I can between the two. I really don't see myself parting with either one. The past two tracks I've worked on have used both modules and this will likely be the case for the next two.
Thanks for your answer. After more than a year how have your thoughts evolved ?

I think the boomtschak sounds a bit more interesting kickwise to me but it's not by far

TheRosskonian
Veteran Wiggler

Post by TheRosskonian » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:33 am

drowld wrote:
TheRosskonian wrote:I've have both, you should too. :cloud:

Thanks for your answer. After more than a year how have your thoughts evolved ?

I think the boomtschak sounds a bit more interesting kickwise to me but it's not by far
Hmm, hard to believe that was already a year ago, I would still agree with my thoughts above, but I will add a few things. I think if you were going to pit the two against each other, it'd really come down to your needs and how you patch. The Boomtschak has the waveshaper for the oscillator with two waveforms and filter section with noise and an input to that filter, while the Mutant Machine has two oscillators along with the three waveforms and the ability to change the waveforms automatically. The Mutant Machine does play more with other modules since it has multiple ins and outs, with the Boomtschak also having multiple inputs, but only one output. I still have not sat down to do a direct comparison between these two, but I do layer my kicks quite often and I found myself using the Mutant Machine as the mid-top end of a kick layer and the Boomtschak as the bottom end.

If I had to pin myself to an opinion of the two against each other, I would go for the Boomtschak for kicks, especially without using other modules, but the Mutant Machine for it's versatility. As always, make sure you listen to sound demos of both.

Multi Grooves
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Multi Grooves » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:31 am

As a MM owner, the above is the truth.
It doesn't rule in the bass department but dropping both oscillators to their lowest poss settings still gives a good crunchy [Detroit style] kick.
Last edited by Multi Grooves on Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...but Cynthia, my Daddy never had a heath kit..

dbeats
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dbeats » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:10 am

Multi Grooves wrote:It doesn't rule in the bass department but dropping both oscillators to their lowest poss settings still gives a good crunchy [detritus style] kick.
I own both, Mutant Machine and Boomtschak.

The lowest tune of my Boom is around 10hz, which is lower than C0. I often choose a tune around C1-E1 for my dry kick drums. The Mutant Bassdrum also goes below C1 btw., and BD9 goes as low as 0hz.

Now, the lowest tune of my MM is around D#2 +28ct of wave 1 and F#1 -40ct of wave 2 (fully detuned), with or without pitch cv. It's really surprising and annoying that the MM can't be tuned lower, especially because it should be "capable of synthesizing everything" percussion-related, according to hexinverter. Why this? Has anyone maybe tried to recalibrate it somehow?

In the end I always use the Boom (or Mutant Bassdrum or BD9) for kick drums and MM for toms and snares. But my MM is probably the module that has traveled the most: in and out and back into my rack. It uses up 29hp for having "just one more percussion sound", and it's not cheap. I still keep it because it sounds great and is very versatile.

Multi Grooves
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Multi Grooves » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:21 pm

I still think about the ADM14 BoomTschak but I'm not feeling the demos I've heard. It doesn't sound like there is a lot of...or as much variation to its audio spectrum as there is with MM. I suspect this is down to having two oscillators each with with three switchable waveforms (sine, tri & sqr). You have the option of fixing oscillator 1 to a single wave and have the other cycle through its waveforms (the speed is CV'able+ plus you get an output clk of the speed of the cycle) or you can have both oscillators cycling. You can even offset the wave order for even more variation of sound- though I think this is better for the sonorous end of sounds.

There are more knobs on the former but it seems like a modulation black hole. MM's i/p and o/p selection seem to want to integrate with other modules a little more. In fact they demand experimentation elsewhere. I really like having outputs for each oscillator as well as a mixed output for both oscillators again to do related stuff elsewhere in the patch.

Sorry I've not added much beyond earlier replies... I guess my interest is re-piqued because one just turned up on the Grid. I dunno is €500 reasonable?
...but Cynthia, my Daddy never had a heath kit..

Return to “Eurorack Modules”