MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Which format perfect for expanding FRXS?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author Which format perfect for expanding FRXS?
kraku
I'm looking for a modular system which fits these specs:
- the module case can be installed into a regular 19" rack
- the format uses 1/4" jacks

Does such a system exist?

The reason I'm asking is that I'd like to expand my Future Retro XS a bit, but I don't want to use my Eurorack for that because of the following reasons:

1. I'd need a converter plug for each of the wires between my Euro and FRXS.

2. My Euro fits very comfortably in the rack to my left side and FRXS in the other rack to my right side. This way it's very ergonomic for me to use them at the same time while creating music and working intensely on sound design. I really don't want to move them anywhere else in the room. If I want to patch them together, the wires will be criss crossing on my lap and up to my nose...

Any suggestions for modular systems?
sduck
MOTM fits well into a rack case, and sells rack mounting hardware even.
http://www.synthtech.com/
sandyb
yup.
pretty much any of the 5U modulars can be rack mounted and would suit your criteria. they're a nice addition to have as well as euro too.
maybe have a look at some of the modcan b series modules if you haven't already - lots of functionality in many of these.

http://www.modcan.com/bseries/modulesb.html
drewtoothpaste
MOTM, synth.com and Modcan all have rack-mount hardware and rails.

Do you have a FR orb yet? Seems like this would be a logical/cheap thing to use with the FRXS.
kraku
Are synth.com, motm and modcan using the same format or are they different formats?

Since I'm new to 5U format, I'm not sure if all the modules are compatible or not. I noticed atleast that modcan manufacture A & B series modules. The only difference are the jacks?
sandyb
dotcom are different width to modcan b and motm. the mounting holes are also in a slightly different place. you'd have hassle using them together in a single rack.
modcan a and b series modules function the same with one (or possibly two) small exceptions.
kraku
sandyb wrote:
dotcom are different width to modcan b and motm. the mounting holes are also in a slightly different place. you'd have hassle using them together in a single rack.
modcan a and b series modules function the same with one (or possibly two) small exceptions.

Just to be sure:

Do you mean that also the motm and modcan B mounting holes aren't fully compatible? Or do you mean that just docom isn't compatible with the other two?
sandyb
sorry for being unclear.
modcan b and motm modules are physically exactly the same in terms of panel size and mounting holes.
dotcom and other modules in their format (e.g. stg and moon modular) are wider and have their mounting holes in different places.
kraku
All clear now! Thanks! smile

I'll start adding modcan b and motm modules to my wishlist then smile
doctorvague
If you're into DIY you might want to consider MOTM format as you also have lots of Bridechamber DIY projects as well as Oakley (either built or DIY) and lots more.

If you're on a budget and/or mostly need bread and butter modules then Synth.com is a good choice and you have a nice selection of other modules from Moon Modular and Suit and Tie Guy and more recently MegaOhm and others in that format.

If you want a little more esoteric multi-function stuff and aren't on a budget then Modcan would be my first choice. Bruce has several one-of-a-kind modules, so it would pay to peruse his offerings.

Be aware that wait times can be long on Modcan, but he will give you a date and stick with it. MOTM delivery times are anyone's guess and tend to be long. Synth.com is generally pretty fast and Moon Modular is in stock at Noisebug. STG is always accessible to ask. So far MegaOhm has been great to deal with (2 purchases for me).

If you have space for 2 5U racks you could do one in MOTM format and one in MU. They both run on 15V and all modules can interface with 1/4" cords. Both racks could be powered off the same power supply but would need different distros for each rack.

One thing you can do (no matter what format) in your patch cord situation is make a panel for each side with jacks (whatever format you need on each side) and tie them together with wires behind the scenes. Basically a snake that terminates in a module at each end that look like a multiple. I recommended this to someone a while back in the same situation and it answered his dilemma as he had a workstation desk in the middle between a split system. Or instead of using valuable module space use 19" rack mount panels if that works better in your situation. Then you can patch anything to anything with no patch cords draping across.
kraku
It's been a long time since this thread was alive. But I've finally made up my mind:

I want to expand my FRXS with 5U MacBeth X-Series Filter. I'm not actually sure if it's on sale yet or not, but I'm pretty sure that's what I want.

The big question is, what's the easiest way to get a compatible 19" rack + power for that module? What about if/when I decide to buy some other random module from another manufacturer to expand that module set? What is the most flexible (module manufacturer wise) 19" module rack+power which supports MacBeth 5U modules?'

EDIT:
...and as little DIY as possible. I have a history of horrible accidents with DIY stuff :(
mateo
The 5U MacBeth filter isn't out yet, as far as I know.

The MacBeth 5U is in the same format as the dotcom stuff, whose rackmount is probably the easiest way to go:

http://synthesizers.com/cabinets.html#qcr8

Note that this won't fit MOTM or Modcan B modules, but I don't think there are any rack mount solutions that can fit both formats...
kraku
Hmm, a thought just popped in my mind:

What if the upper and lower rails of the rack were replaced with wood? Wouldn't it then be possible to install every kind of 5U modules in that rack, assuming the power supply can handle the different connectors/voltages?

Has anyone tries something similar with working results?
sandyb
kraku wrote:
Hmm, a thought just popped in my mind:

What if the upper and lower rails of the rack were replaced with wood? Wouldn't it then be possible to install every kind of 5U modules in that rack, assuming the power supply can handle the different connectors/voltages?

Has anyone tries something similar with working results?

it would be possible. essentially you'd be building a "standard" cabinet. many people run motm and dotcom format modules happily in the same cabinet. here are a few sticky threads in the 5U section that it would be worth you reading. they probably answer a lot of questions you may have about this. i'm going to move this thread to the 5U section as it has turned out to be pretty 5U specific.

sandy

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6598

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1739

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16488
kraku
Great, thanks! smile I'll read them through.
Just me
If you are only gonna do a few modules, DotCom has a wallwart power supply for 8 modules.
cyphersum
Here's the two 5U racks I made for both the modular gear and the FR XS. The XS is only 4U high so I put my TX81Z in that spot. The two racks are identical in size except the black wood one has the standard 19" partition. The racks are made from shelving and the module mounting channels are just 1/2 x 3/4 inch wood strips. The sides are angle bracketed and wood screwed from the top and bottom. It's not the prettiest but it functions well and I get to put more money into gear.

The missing module on top is for my nearly complete Low Pass Gate. The other spaces are looking for contributions from kind generous donors! hyper

:brian

Mercutio
Hi

I'm in the same situation that yout and i'm looking to expand my red square.

Here the topic: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19608

There is a nice case available by noisebug !!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1