MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

COCOQUANTUS 2 "GETTING STARTED MANUAL"
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Ciat-Lonbarde Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author COCOQUANTUS 2 "GETTING STARTED MANUAL"
arnoux
Here's a little compendium for those who are approaching the Cocoquantus for the first time, these informations are precious material collected around this amazing subforum and after several months of intensive use of one of the coolest electronic musical instruments ever made.
I'm not going to cover all the parts of the instruments, this guide is intended to be a "getting started manual", and frankly some parts still puzzle me, I'm going to put some links of interesting readings and insight at the bottom of the page.
Let's go:

Look at this infographic, credits goes to the uber wigglers spacelooper and chorus7, hope it's fine for you to repost it here.

The Cocoquantus is made by 4 parts as you can see, in the center you have an array of oscillators and circuits we are going to call QUANTUSSY, the QUANTUSSY is perfect for modulating your recorded material, then you have a left COCO and a right COCO which let's say are our "loopers" and then on the very left of the unit you have an input section including XLR mic IN and a 1/8" IN for piezo mics equipped with an ENVELOPE FOLLOWER OUT (orange).
The toggle switches on the QUANTUSSY are three ways switches, center position is audio speed, pointing inwards the VCOs go LFOs, pointing outwards VCO behave somewhere between audio/LFO range (for lack of better technical term).

Front inputs:
the two jacks in the center of the front of the unit are both stereo jacks, left channel of your stereo instrument will be sent to the left Coco, right channel to the right Coco.
If you use a mono jack both inputs will send your audio only to the left Coco.
Tip: want to send two mono instruments at the same time one to the left and one to the right?
Input one instrument into one of the two stereo inputs, you will hear it on the left COCO, input the other one into the PIEZO IN (which is mono) and with a banana cable send it from the white banana jack to the green banana input of the right COCO.

Stereo output:
If your use your classic "red and white Y stereo cable", left COCO goes to the right channel of your mixer/whatever, right COCO goes to the left channel, I usually invert the jacks on my mixer to have it "right". Also, I always put a stereo compressor between my Cocoquantus and my mixer as it's sometimes an untamable beast, beware the FEEDBACK volume if you pass 12 o'clock.

Cleaning buffers (when you turn it on noise normaly circulates in the buffers):
- set INPUT GAIN and FEEDBACK volume fully CCW;
- set SPEED fully CW;
- press LOOP ON/OFF to make it record (remember: Cocoquantus is recording when the leds are off), leave it record for few seconds then press again LOOP ON/OFF,
your buffer is now clean.

On the Dolby switches:
in up position they behave as suitable Dolby filters (but I'm still trying to understand the upper positon, sorry, I will update when figuring out), the left one for the IN, the right one for the FEEDBACK.
In down position:
- if you switch down the left one you basically mute your input source;
- if you switch down the right one you have your material over-writing the feedback loop creating a sort of punch-in/side-chain effect as long as your input sound lasts;
- if you switch both down you are inputting "silence" basically "gating" your feedback loop with your audio source, try this with a tight drum machine to get the idea.

Sync the loop with external gear:
Yes you can!

Patch notes to get the job done:
OP-1 to "Piezo" Audio In
White Audio Out to SKIP
Orange Env Follower to Flip
The "click" is audible on purpose so you can get an idea: it must be "loud and tight", I used a rim-shot amplified at +24, pitched +33 to shorten it, I've also succesfuly used a similar sample from my RYTM, a fellow wiggler make it works with a TR606.
If you put your clock from the PIEZO IN and your instrument into the front STEREO IN you should be able to loop real time on the beat, never tried this out tho.

Power supply:
12v DC center positive

Interesting readings on the Cocoquantus:
Richard Brewster aka Pugix on the Quantussy:
http://pugix.com/synth/explaining-the-quantussy-schematic/
Quantussy caos knob WTF?
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=172722&highlight=
COCOQUANTUS HAND MANUAL by Peter:
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1tJnqu3GKB9TAYxVEo4KipXp1afCh90 bIfc3PiF-EXcw/embed#slide=id.i0

-------------------------------------------------------------

That's all I know for now folks, hope it's helpful, have fun with your COCO!

Thanks to all the amazing wigglers sharing their knowledge in this forum, and please let me know if updates are needed and I'll update the OP.

Fabio
noisejockey
applause applause applause
chorus7
Nice work arnoux! I was just pointing a new Wiggler in the direction of the old thread and thought it was a little buried so this is perfect!

Maybe this should be permently linked at the top of the subforum...

Thanks for compiling all the info we're not worthy great job we're not worthy
ClausF
Thanks from me too, I have a lot of this info collected on littke papers, especially cleaning the buffers. Now it's a full document, great!
applause we're not worthy applause
arnoux
Thank you, hope it's helpful for somebody..

Will add some new sections from time to time..
JamieH
Thank you very much for this
Bought my Coco about a year ago, work got crazy busy, then started another project and forgot I had it in a drawer in the studio, what an amazing bit of kit thumbs up
shortsleeves
JamieH wrote:
Thank you very much for this
Bought my Coco about a year ago, work got crazy busy, then started another project and forgot I had it in a drawer in the studio, what an amazing bit of kit thumbs up

Wut?! You FORGOT you had a Coco2 in a drawer? Geez… cool Guinness ftw!
nearly ghost
Damn reading this doesn't ease my cocoquantus lust! Another vote to sticky this thread..
wednesdayayay
the worst part about have a coco and plum is thinking you know two of either or both would be pretty cool too...

I mean a 4 track looping station via dual coco2s would just be rad

and the dual plumbutter would allow for processing and playing at the same time (although you can process and have plumbutter sounds it would still be nice to separate that function) or just double the voices

yikes it makes me hurt
and lately I have been thinking of taking the DDD plunge but would really like to wait for the stuber (if it still comes out in that range). It seems like peter is working on the new shbobo entry currently though

EDIT:
oh yea and a tentussy
solong
Best introduction I've found to this beast! Can anyone tell me the exact size dimensions of the Cocoquantus? I'm planning out a rig with limited space to work with and want to be certain it will fit before purchasing. Thanks!
Veeken
Very helpful since i've got one since yesterday (Patchpoint Berlin).
Hainbach
Yay for Patch Point!
phasebash
Sorry this wasn't obvious to me, what does FLIP and SKIP do?
theantiroman
Skip moves about within the sampled audio.

Flip switches beyond forward and reverse playback of the sample.

The modulation of both at the same time produces wild results.

Question: when inserting the quantussy oscillators into the coco banana inputs does y'all get large crackles audio as the banana jack is plugging in. By large I mean louder by a log scale, similar to the sound of an input jack crackling on a guitar.

I put my coco down for a bit and just came back to it, can't remember if it used to do this or not.

Cheers
wednesdayayay
plug into the input first does it still do that?

if you have your volume down on the input that would help

or

if you don't want to have to turn the input down you could
use a banana to 1/8 converter of some sort (alligator clips onto an 1/8 cable (don't forget to add your ground, low gain UTL box, etc...) and plug it into the piezo 1/8 input on the far left front face of the instrument that way you would have a separate volume control
xahdrez
Is the envelope follower a new addition or a discontinued feature? Just curious as can't work out if a new cocoquantus would have it or not. Maybe I have to buy one to find out
cebec
xahdrez wrote:
Is the envelope follower a new addition or a discontinued feature? Just curious as can't work out if a new cocoquantus would have it or not. Maybe I have to buy one to find out

It's new. All the new ones have it.
xahdrez
cebec wrote:
xahdrez wrote:

It's new. All the new ones have it.

Thanks cebec - still think it might be a good idea for me to take one for the team and buy one to check that's still the case.... This is fun!
theantiroman
@wednesdayayay

It does seem like turning the volume down helps, strangely the crackles still happen when I plug the piezo/clean banana out into the banana in. It's not too bothersome, just wondered if it happens on other people's machines.
wednesdayayay
does it happen regardless of the source?
theantiroman
Yes strangely enough
batchas
solong wrote:
Can anyone tell me the exact size dimensions of the Cocoquantus? I'm planning out a rig with limited space to work with and want to be certain it will fit before purchasing. Thanks!

Exact same question here.

I'd be glad to know the dimensions of the beast.
sungja
32x16x5 cm.

There are many connections on the front, back and ground, so space will also depend on cable sizes.
ClausF
sungja wrote:
32x16x5 cm.

There are many connections on the front, back and ground, so space will also depend on cable sizes.

Exactly, these eat a lot of space. Would be nice to have my PB2 directly in front of the CQ2, but there are always a few cemtimeters needed for the in's and out's.
wednesdayayay
if you are good with a soldering iron it wouldn't be that hard to take out the inputs and have a separate box (or something else) for them so that you could sit them as close as you please

I've never done this as I'm not good with a solering iron
nor am I great with electronics fiddling to begin with
so just take this as a suggestion
if you do it email peter and ask if there is any potential dangers

but it would be pretty great to have all the inputs/outputs/ground on one side or separate
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Ciat-Lonbarde Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2