MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

FH-1 remapping sequencer for Novation Launchkey Mini
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Author FH-1 remapping sequencer for Novation Launchkey Mini
particleswillbewaves
Hi!

I am trying to get a good script together for my Novation Launchkey Mini. Thanks to the excellent GUI tool I have set up the LFO control very easily, but I can't find help on remapping the sequencer CC's. I would like to have some basic control over CV's with the eight available rotary knobs (CC 21-28), and set up skip steps with the 16 pads underneath. The pads are actually velocity sensitive MIDI notes...

Also, while I'm at it: I noticed that the script for the Novation Launch Control XL sends MIDI information back to the device to control the pad leds when the step is active. It would be awesome if I could figure that out on my Launchkey. Is that script public somewhere so I might find some clues there?

Bruno

(when script is ready I will of course share it here)
os
The LED control for the LCXL is hardcoded into the FH-1, so that's not something you can do for the Mini.

The GUI tool doesn't yet have the sequencer stuff in it.

You would probably find it easier to remap the CCs on the Launchkey itself if that's possible.
particleswillbewaves
Thanks for the quick response, OS. Too bad the leds aren't available for scripting. I don't think it's possible to remap the cc's on the controller itself, at least I haven't found any information know how to do that.

Will have to pick up a launch control xl to access all the power of this module I guess!

Cheers
os
There's nothing stopping me adding scripting of the LEDs in a future update.

In the meantime you can certainly remap the FH-1's sequencer steps to your knob CCs.
particleswillbewaves
That would be very cool smile

So if I want to remap the sequencer steps to CC's 21-28, what would that look like exactly? So far my script is mapping LFO's to these 8 knobs up to channel 12 but I would love to have some sequencer control on channels 13 to 16. If you could give me an example I will (hopefully) figure the rest out.

This is my current script:

FH-1 script v1
MCV15:15:0-127:PG7A6:C0G1V2:C3G4V5

RC1
CC21-28:3:0
RC2
CC21-28:3:64
RC3
CC21-28:5:64
RC4
CC21-28:5:96
RC5
CC21-28:7:96
RC6
CC21-28:7:64
RC7
CC21-28:9:64
RC8
CC21-28:11:64
RC9
CC21-28:11:96
RC10
CC21-28:3:96
RC11
CC21-28:1:64
RC12
CC21-28:1:0
os
So refer to http://expert-sleepers.co.uk/fh1CCs.html

To control sequencer A from MIDI channel 13 you would want

RC13
CC21-28:15:96
particleswillbewaves
Exactly what I needed. Now I understand the syntax. thanks a bunch!!

When I have a satisfactory script ready, will post it back for others.

Cheers!
particleswillbewaves
Ok, seems like I do have another set of questions. I have mapped two lanes of sequencer A and B to the eight knobs of my remaining 4 channels (not tested yet - will test tonight). But now I want to map gate/trigger and skip/reset behaviour control to the sixteen pads of the LK-Mini. These are notes and I don't understand the Midi to CV syntax yet.

- For example how can I map Pad 1 on channel 13 (Note 40 - E1) to channel 15 CC64?

- And would that effectively make my pad control the gate/trigger behaviour of the first step of sequencer A?

- Do I need to add something specific to the script if I want to use the "Next" behaviour of gate/trigger and skip/reset functions (cycle through behaviours with push of button)?
os
The FH-1 doesn't currently have a way of mapping note on/offs to CC functions.

Does the LK not allow you to use the pads for CCs?
particleswillbewaves
The pads on the LK are actually notes, laid out like this:

Pad 1 Note40 E1
Pad 2 Note41 F1
Pad 3 Note42 F#1
Pad 4 Note43 G1
etc.

So, no I don't think that's possible.
os
Then you're out of luck until I add remapping of notes to CCs.

I'm surprised the LK is so un-configurable.
particleswillbewaves
It's such a cheap little thing. Too bad though! Thanks anyway.
particleswillbewaves
I have just tested the script I made with added sequencer action but FH-1 won't have it. Anything wrong with this script..?

FH-1 script v1
MCV15:15:0-127:PG7A6:C0G1V2:C3G4V5
RC1
CC21-28:3:0
RC2
CC21-28:3:64
RC3
CC21-28:5:64
RC4
CC21-28:5:96
RC5
CC21-28:7:96
RC6
CC21-28:7:64
RC7
CC21-28:9:64
RC8
CC21-28:11:64
RC9
CC21-28:11:96
RC10
CC21-28:3:96
RC11
CC21-28:1:64
RC12
CC21-28:1:0
RC13
CC21-28:15:0
RC14
CC21-28:15:8
RC15
CC21-28:16:0
RC16
CC21-28:16:8

Before I added the last four channels it worked just fine.
os
Attach the actual script file (or a zip thereof).
particleswillbewaves
https://file.town/download/3ey7ho1fbtfyjzpxj90cy7m0m
os
Ideally I would have the actual script, not the hex file.

If you zip it you can attach it here - you don't need to use an external file hosting site.
particleswillbewaves
I figured out how to attach that file! :party: Apparently I did it twice, same file.
os
The script looks OK. What exactly doesn't work at this point?
particleswillbewaves
After seemingly loading the script, the leds A-H 1-8 flash alternating and they keep doing that even after I push the button to confirm. If I turn the knob it goes to normal functionality without having loaded the script. This behavior did not occur previously.

I just tested the module with a bigger controller it performs well with the normal cc's so that's good! Now just want to get the launchkey working as well
os
Quote:
even after I push the button to confirm

You have to hold the button to confirm, not just push it.
particleswillbewaves
:bang:
Got it. Sorry for bothering you with my mistake. The confusion started after getting used to the menu that reacts to a single push of the button. I assumed that was how I did it for loading the script. It works now!

Thanks for the help and patience.

Cheers!
jsco
I just spent the better part of a day making the "ultimate" FH-1 configuration script for the Novation Launchkey Mini. (By "ultimate" I mean I hope neither I nor anyone else has to spend this much time on it ever again. Dead Banana )

This script uses the Mini's ability to switch MIDI Channels (by holding down the InControl button and pressing a numbered pad) to move between different performance modes and to remap the rotaries to control various config/performance variables.

Because the pads always send to channel 10, their function is constant. The top and bottom rows toggle triggers on steps 1-8 of sequencers A and B respectively. The round buttons next to the pads control the internal clock.

Each "mode" (i.e. MIDI channel) tries to maximize the simultaneous possibilities of the FH-1's 8 outputs by cramming in as many voices, triggers, and LFOs as will fit. Of course all of these functions can overlap and interfere with each other, but I tried to make it so that just about any combination of features can be used harmoniously by selecting the right mode. (Maximum example: use the pads to punch in drum triggers on outs 4/8, switch to CH1, play a latched arpeggiation CV/gate on outs 1/2, switch to CH2, play live CV/gate on outs 6/7, and use the rotaries to wiggle two LFOs on outs 3/5.)

LFO config is split between "details" (rotaries 1-8 in modes 9-16) and "live wiggling" (rotaries 1-4 and 5-8 controlling DC offset/amplitude/speed/phase for two LFOs). The idea being that you set up the shape of the waves you want in the details modes (CH9-16), then control them along with live performance inputs in the live wiggling modes (CH2-6).

Advanced sequencing is ignored, i.e. no CV outs, no skips/ties, etc. because it requires way too many inputs, and there's no good workflow for it on this keyboard.

Breakdown of functions:

Voices: Lots of options of mono/poly/para output mappings depending on which MIDI channel you pick. The voice outputs are chosen to overlap as little as possible with other output features (arp/LFO/seq) so they can be used simultaneously.

Arpeggiator: Always outputs 1/2 (CV/Gate). Play and control using CH1 keys and rotaries. Start and stop internal clock with round buttons next to pads. Use latch mode to keep the arp playing while using the keys to play other voices independently on a different channel.

Sequencers: Always outputs 4 and 8 (sequencer A and B triggers). Always controlled with pads, regardless of selected channel. Pads 1-8 toggle triggers on steps 1-8 of sequencer A, and pads 9-16 toggle triggers on steps 1-8 of sequencer B. Start and stop internal clock with round buttons next to pads. No support for setting or outputting CVs per step.

LFOs: Rotaries on channels 9-16 control waveshape settings for LFOs 1-8 (as well as tempo-synced speed control). DC offset, multiplier, speed, and phase controls are mapped in groups of two LFOs per channel to channels 2-5, for ease of "live wiggling" (plus a single set of LFO controls on CH6). Basically, for any of these channels, you can play keys, use other output functions, and control two LFOs simultaneously. To wiggle more than two LFOs at a time will require annoying channel-switching.

Direct Control: CH8 maps all rotaries to direct control of output levels 1-8. Use this channel if all you want is direct remote control of CVs via rotaries.

Internal Clock/Tempo: Controlled by rotaries 5-7 on CH1. Start/stop with upper round button, start/stop wtih tap tempo with lower round button.

Portamento (mono modes only): Controlled by rotaries 5-7 on CH6.

Output Smoothing: Controlled by rotaries 1-8 on CH7.

SEE THE ATTACHED CHEAT SHEET PDF FOR DETAILS

NOTE: FIRMWARE 1.7 REQUIRED
NOTE: WEB UI WILL NOT FULLY PARSE THIS SCRIPT
os
Guinness ftw!
Vullan
jsco wrote:
I just spent the better part of a day making the "ultimate" FH-1 configuration script for the Novation Launchkey Mini. (By "ultimate" I mean I hope neither I nor anyone else has to spend this much time on it ever again. Dead Banana )

love love love

Thank you so much! I was about to try and sell my FH-1 because of the difficulty in getting my LKmini to work with it.
Thanks!!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Page 1 of 1