MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Blah blah blah etc etc
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Metasonix  
Author Blah blah blah etc etc
metasonix
As already posted on FB

turin horsey
applause applause applause applause Very excited to hear these in action

So what's the pet name for the RK3 going to be?
timoka
ah, very cool!!
albiedamned
I wasn't expecting the Ringer/Shaper module! Does it have the pulser function of the R53 or just the ring mod? There's a Tune knob so I'm guessing that's for tuning the pulser.

Can you describe in general the differences between the new RK modules and their R series bigger brothers? What is lost with the single tube design? What if anything is gained (besides obviously less HP and $$)?
metasonix
The RK3 is replacement for R-53 and sounds exactly the same. I'm amazed we found a Compactron that worked. Same for RK4 and R-54. They also draw less power.
albiedamned
So either we're all a bunch of suckers and the second tubes in the R-series modules were just for show, or you found a way to design the circuit to do with one tube what you used to do with two. I'm not sure I buy either of those stories. The RK4 doesn't have the VCA and overdrive functions of the R54 right? I'm guessing the second tube handled those functions.
albiedamned
I was going to warn you about the monster lurking in your workshop, seen here in this reflection, but then I realized it's not a monster. It's just a penis with hair growing on the tip instead of the base.

metasonix
albiedamned wrote:
So either we're all a bunch of suckers and the second tubes in the R-series modules were just for show, or you found a way to design the circuit to do with one tube what you used to do with two. I'm not sure I buy either of those stories.

The R53/RK3 needs a special dual triode type. Until we started experimenting with Compactrons the only tubes that were known to work were the 6BQ7 family, 12AV7 family, and 6021. None of the usual dual triodes seen in audio (12AX/AT/AU7, 6DJ8) will work in this circuit. It turns out a few Compactron types contain 6BQ7-like triodes.

Quote:
The RK4 doesn't have the VCA and overdrive functions of the R54 right? I'm guessing the second tube handled those functions.

yes, impossible to cram into an 8hp module without subminiature tubes, and those are getting too rare to use. ALL RK types are highly crammed and there's no room left for added functions.
otoskope
Congratulations! Nice family of four, now. Amazing that you could cram those modules into the narrow format. I wish you the best of sales with these!

/Palle
FatRocky
Would you consider building something that sounds like the TM-6 in RK format?

the R52 is a nice filter but it didnĀ“t sound like that to my ears
metasonix
FatRocky wrote:
something that sounds like the TM-6 in RK format?

I would but the high-gain dual pentode it would need is impossible to find. The few Compactron types that had dual pentodes were usually video amplifiers, sync separators, or driver pentodes with low gain. The tube in the RK2 is one of those. Just doesn't have enough gain for a bandpass filter and doesn't have two control grids anyway.

Some things are common as hell and some are so scarce even tube collectors don't have any. Shit was made for television applications and we are stuck with the leftovers.
Yes Powder
I really hope these get the love in the community that they deserve, especially the RK3. I love my R53, and really wish more people took the time to "get" it. Hopefully the smaller size, price-tag, and power consumption will convince more people to give it a try.
otolathe
If I'm not mistaken, one can now assemble a Eurowretchmachine! (well, except for a dual LFO 6AL7 magic-eye tuning indicator).

Or, close enough.
metasonix
Thought about making a 6AL7 module just to display CVs. Not sure anyone would buy it--it would cost a lot more than the other RKs because that tube needs at least 100v to be visible.
otolathe
Had the beast out this past weekend, damaging the brains. That's me above the mixer, looking sane.

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Metasonix  
Page 1 of 1