MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Verbos 288v time domain processor clone
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author Verbos 288v time domain processor clone
richardm123uk
Does anyone have one of these fine modules. I just about crapped myself when I heard it was available (I LOVE delays).

Video, more demos, opinions!!!.

Cheers,
R
richardm123uk
Nobody has?
ex_dead_teenager
you should write to him about it I bet his e-mail is on his blog somewhere

http://buchlatech.blogspot.com/

hope you get one that thing looks sick
Moog$FooL$
wha.. is it?? confused

i tried a lil' google search & nothing!! hmmm.....
Lyonel
Explanations courtesy of Mark Verbos himself :
"The 288v is a single AtoD converter together with a bank of 16 RAMs and 8 DtoA converters. The DtoA converters can be configured at any 8 points in the bank of RAMs. The "cal." mode is a DtoA on every second RAM. The other 3 presets are configurable using wires on the PCB. I have set them up to be the 8 shortest times, the 8 longest times and 4 short/4 long. The delay time of each tap is the same and controlled by the Delay Multiplier section. This can be controlled by the knob at the right side, external voltage or FM'ed by an audio signal. In pitch mode, the delay time is being controlled by a rising or falling sawtooth wave, which has it's amplitude controlled by the same inputs.

The preset mixes are set up by putting resistors into place on the PCB to have commonly used mixes easily available. I have set them up as fading out as the times get longer, fading up as the times get longer, rising to the middle time and then down again and all up. Anything would be possible. Any output can be patched into the input mixer to get feedback, but it's best if the feedback does not have the dry signal in it.

There is an envelope follower on the left most audio input. An LED shows when the follower is sending out a pulse. When "Arm Pulse In" is engaged, the RAM goes into loop mode as soon as the envelope follower is tripped. Loop mode can also be entered or stopped from pulses and pulses are sent out every time the RAM loops. The switch at the top left determines if the loop is all the RAM, half or a quarter the length. Once a loop is grabbed, it's length/pitch can be controlled from the time multiplier section to use it as a sort of wavetable sample player, very lo-fi."

cbm
Some samples here:
http://buchlatech.blogspot.com/2009/08/some-audio-demos.html
bwhittington
Does anyone know that these are selling for? I've never gotten a reply from Mark, ever. I really like this one.

Cheers,
Brian
richardm123uk
I got an email from Mark $1800. Will have to wait a while but this is close to top of my list.
divisionbyzero
i've played with two of these (one 288 and one 288v) and they are a lot of fun. i couldn't tell the difference between the two other than the 288 had some exposed jumps which were accidentally shorted while folks at a party played with it and (well) mark's didn't have that shortcoming (i will offer an aftermarket mod for this if you want :-) ).

i tended to gravitate towards sending 4 arbitrary taps into the abcd submixer inputs on a 227e to get surround sound feedback/echoes/detuning.
intellijel
Is this a circuit mark has developed or is it a clone of Buchla design?

I was also curious about how much of Marks work was original and how much was direct cloning? If it is cloning I am assuming he is also adapting designs to use more modern/available components?
cbm
On his blog he mentions that he got rid of the obsolete delay line elements, but kept most of the original design intact.

There were never really very many (any?) of these sold by B&A, were there?
mono-poly
I think only a few were sold ineed.
bubblesound
intellijel wrote:
Is this a circuit mark has developed or is it a clone of Buchla design?

I was also curious about how much of Marks work was original and how much was direct cloning? If it is cloning I am assuming he is also adapting designs to use more modern/available components?

not 100%, but i believe that this is a buchla design that never got built commercially, but i could be wrong.
citizen mori
mono-poly wrote:

Two.
cbm
citizen mori wrote:
mono-poly wrote:

Two.

Do you know if either of them actually worked 100%?

This and the 200-series harmonic generator are perhaps the most unicorn-like in the Buchla canon.
Malekko
I'm betting an autographed donut we'll see an actual B&A version within 2 years. Who's in!
dkcg
Malekko wrote:
I'm betting an autographed donut we'll see an actual B&A version within 2 years. Who's in!

So if one comes out within two years, we get autographed donuts? I'm in!

I've love to see a 600e/200e...nudge nudge...say no more say no more.
citizen mori
cbm wrote:

Do you know if either of them actually worked 100%?

This and the 200-series harmonic generator are perhaps the most unicorn-like in the Buchla canon.

i am nearly certain neither were actually sold... but i am not 100% sure...

i know that neither worked as don wanted them to. if i recall properly, it is that the sourced components for aspects of the circuit were, at the time, at the absolute horizon of engineering capability for parts manufacturers... there were not many alternate components to do the job and the ones that were being made were not living up to promises. so, while don's design was correct, the supporting bits kept it from being realized back in the era.

there is an even more unicorn-like module than that one! another temporal control device.
cbm
citizen mori wrote:
there is an even more unicorn-like module than that one! another temporal control device.

<scratching_head>
    Nothing comes to mind... do tell
</scratching_head>
ndkent
Though there is the interesting comment (2nd one) about the two older ones working -

https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=5421148049293839355&postID=48 75942788531487749
divisionbyzero
i was told that SOP for don back in the day was to build two of something, one for him and one for the programmer|layout|whoever person. so two seems likely but i'm pretty sure there are three of these floating around.

and as far as i know nobody got it working right away. it would be an interesting compare and contrast to see the two different variations on the same theme.

(note: the following is me speaking as some dude on the internet and not on behalf of me employer)

and before a 600e i'd say the world would rather have a 400e (or maybe a 700/800). with apologies if this has already made the rounds:

http://www.myspace.com/buchla400

(fwiw there's a weird drunken series of pictures of my girlfriend holding up each board from don's 400)

the idea of a hybrid synth which needs a computer display for complex editing isn't a bad one. no more coming up with horrible physical ui compromises (don does a great job of avoiding this whenever possible but every synth maker is guilty of it to a certain extent). isn't the NI maschine sort of this concept? or maybe the nord mm. so you get your crazy patches programmed on the computer, then you take your much smaller keyboard with you to the gig safe in knowing that 90% of the params aren't necessary to access when playing live. that crazy huge mungo synth is an example of this approach and if i had the cash i would definitely get a hold of one.
dougcl
I don't think anyone here wants to work on a computer. Perhaps a standard module could be devised that possesses a handful of knobs and jacks. The module could be loaded with software to relate the knobs to the jacks. A library of software modules could be developed and made available to users. The user would fill a rack with the hardware modules, then using a program like Rack Planner, choose the software modules to be downloaded into the hardware. Once downloaded, the rack is a modular patch interface. The obvious downside to this is 1) cost... the modules would not be inexpensive, and 2) the generic hardware would not provide visual cues to the underlying function. Perhaps the latter problem could be gotten around somehow. Printed overlays, while hokey, would address this, for example.

The upshot is that once you overcame the initial hardware cost, you could load your entire rack with self resonating quad low pass gates just to see what you could accomplish. Or, scratch that, try a rack full of Serge VCS's instead.
cbm
Part of the beauty of the Buchla system is that the panel for a module has an "organic" layout; one that fits with the function of the module. It's one of the reasons that the Buchla is so fun to play, imo. The "landmarks" make it easy to find your way around a Buchla system.
Lyonel
Absolutely not a criticism, i am completely new to modulars,
but when i look at a Serge or even an Euro setup, it's still a little bit like Hieroglyphs to me.
With the 200e, instantaneously the interface spoke to me.
So simple, but at the same time, full of surprises and complex things to imagine and try.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1