Sprott Investigations

home of post-70s electronics

Moderators: Kent, bartlebooth

pugix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Sprott Investigations

Post by pugix » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:57 am

I thought I had posted this yesterday. Well, here it is again.

http://pugix.com/synth/sprott-investigations/

:guinness:
Richard
https://www.pugix.com

"Everything in our world is actually always modulated by everything else." - Peter B

windspirit
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by windspirit » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:57 pm

Very nice, definitely rekindling my gear lust for this filter.

s'mores
Common Wiggler

Post by s'mores » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:45 am

really cool to hear some demos of this module! seems surprisingly versatile!

peanut
Common Wiggler

Re: Sprott Investigations

Post by peanut » Mon May 01, 2017 12:58 pm

pugix wrote:I thought I had posted this yesterday. Well, here it is again.

http://pugix.com/synth/sprott-investigations/

:guinness:
This is great. Thanks for taking the time to test and then document your findings for the rest of us. :tu:

lumena
Common Wiggler

Post by lumena » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:04 am

late to party...
was searching for info while I await my sprott.
Very nice explanation that will help me better understand how it works.
big THANK YOU. :tu:

williamjturkel
Common Wiggler

Post by williamjturkel » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:04 pm

Pulled out the oscilloscope yesterday and discovered that Sprott can turn a slow sine LFO into a smooth, wandering random curve, like Cold Mac’s Location output. I think I had the switches down, the frequency low and the resonance at the lowest setting.

pugix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pugix » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:08 pm

williamjturkel wrote:Pulled out the oscilloscope yesterday and discovered that Sprott can turn a slow sine LFO into a smooth, wandering random curve, like Cold Mac’s Location output. I think I had the switches down, the frequency low and the resonance at the lowest setting.
I really have to try it as a CV modulator. Thanks!
Richard
https://www.pugix.com

"Everything in our world is actually always modulated by everything else." - Peter B

ClausF
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ClausF » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:09 pm

Thanks pugix, that helps a lot... :yay:

williamjturkel
Common Wiggler

Post by williamjturkel » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:22 pm

pugix wrote:
williamjturkel wrote:Pulled out the oscilloscope yesterday and discovered that Sprott can turn a slow sine LFO into a smooth, wandering random curve, like Cold Mac’s Location output. I think I had the switches down, the frequency low and the resonance at the lowest setting.
It takes a bit of monkeying around, but subaudio Sprott has a wide range of wild behaviours, especially with gates or audio rate square waves on the diode inputs and/or modulating Q or Freq.

I’ve read your investigations post a number of times - very useful! Have you found any interaction effects between Q and Chaos? I always get the sense there is some nonlinearity in there but I haven’t been able to consistently replicate.

Kaki_Yuga
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Kaki_Yuga » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:29 pm

Thank you for posting that, I have pre ordered now

echologist
Wiggling with Experience

Post by echologist » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:12 pm

I want A Sprott so bad.... hope there’s a fresh batch onthe way.

cowboyelectronics
Learning to Wiggle

Post by cowboyelectronics » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:49 am

williamjturkel wrote:
pugix wrote:
It takes a bit of monkeying around, but subaudio Sprott has a wide range of wild behaviours, especially with gates or audio rate square waves on the diode inputs and/or modulating Q or Freq.

I’ve read your investigations post a number of times - very useful! Have you found any interaction effects between Q and Chaos? I always get the sense there is some nonlinearity in there but I haven’t been able to consistently replicate.
It seems to me that as the Q increases, so does the likelihood that Sprott will go into chaos. Anyone else? Also when running an osc -> wavefolder -> sprott, as I increase the folds, it tends to go into chaos. So my guess there is that the higher the amplitude of the signal going in, the higher the chance it will go into chaos.

williamjturkel
Common Wiggler

Post by williamjturkel » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:48 pm

That is interesting... I have a Geiger Counter in my IFM case, so I will explore that.

In another forum thread on feedback patching, someone suggested that the Emptyset sound could be achieved by running a slow sine, fast sine, noise signal and drum kick into a mixer, balancing the levels carefully, sending the output through a compressor and adding feedback. It is a patch that I enjoy setting up in my other cases but I don't have a mixer in my IFM case. So I decided to set up the same patch using the four inputs of Sprott instead of using a mixer (and triangle waves instead of sines, naturally). The results are pretty cool, and just thinking of Sprott as a kind of insane mixer in feedback patches has opened up a lot of new territory for me.

ookrsia
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ookrsia » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:13 am

Thanks for the information on Sprott, Pugix!

Before reading your webpage I thought my Sprott might have been broken, because I was not able to prevent from self-oscillating. The reason for this was, of course, that the resonance knob works in the opposite manner than "normally" in Eurorack.

cowboyelectronics
Learning to Wiggle

Post by cowboyelectronics » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:20 am

I've seen it mentioned that the Q knob at CCW is at full resonance and CW is at 0 resonance. Mine is the reverse of this. I wonder if the direction of the knobs on later permutations was changed to be more intuitive.

tenshun
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tenshun » Sat May 02, 2020 7:56 am

cowboyelectronics wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:20 am
I've seen it mentioned that the Q knob at CCW is at full resonance and CW is at 0 resonance. Mine is the reverse of this. I wonder if the direction of the knobs on later permutations was changed to be more intuitive.
My Sprott is like that as well. i am thinking he changed it on newer versions?

Return to “Ciat-Lonbarde”