MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Intellijel µMIDI, any good?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Intellijel µMIDI, any good?
bemushroomed
Looking for something that can clock my modular from Cubase + would be nice to be able to send midi to eurorack as well.

Any pros / cons? looks like a solid no-nonsense module, good layout etc..
lamouette/rck
i love mine, sometimes, i miss another cv/gate voice, but if you need only one, it is perfect ! and the clock/clock div/reset is really usefull !
ugokcen
I've got one, totally happy with it. Rock solid timing.

Simply plug a USB cable into the computer and it's recognized as a midi port, no drivers are needed. Then you can play away on your midi keyboard or use a software arpeggiator. I have loads of fun using the Maschine pads set to a scale for example.

The two separate clock outputs work great for clocking Rene as well. Saves me a clock divider.

Cons? Only that you can't plug a USB miidi controller directly into it. Both need to be connected to a computer.
DanJGW
Yep +1 Straight forward for clocking and I agree the divide down function is useful too.
memes_33
love mine, chose it specifically for the clock outputs. disadvantage compared to similar models (thinking of synthrotek specifically) is no MIDI inputs.

like others have indicated, it "just works" when you plug into a computer.
bemushroomed
Thanks guys, sounds great (as expected since Intellijel). Will order one It's peanut butter jelly time!
hermbot
I have the 1U version and it's been great. I've especially liked the velocity output, which I don't see on too many of these modules.
ratchet
I use mine for clocking all the time. Ableton provides the main clock to the uMIDI. uMIDI sends clock and run / stop /reset to my modular. No problems.

I rarely use it to send pitch or any other information from Ableton as I prefer to keep all this within the modular. However, i have tried it and it worked as you would expect.
Bots
I really like the Umidi, it's verry usefull for me!!!
scrunday
I have the 1u one as well, and concur that it works great.
Standup
I'm pretty new to modular synths, and I'm using the uMidi to get clock and start/stop from Pro Tools on a mac. The clock divisions are very useful

I'm very much a newbie -- so this may be an idiotic question. If I wanted to send CV instead of MIDI note info, or a trigger, how would I set that up in the Pro Tools MIDI scroll?

If it's a long answer, maybe just suggest a resource I could check out for more info?
bemushroomed
Standup: well you are sending cv, thats what it does..? Maybe easier to understand if you explain in more detail what you want to accomplish, what you want to control. edit: if you mean you want to replace e.g trigger out to a pitch cv out on umidi, I dont think that would be possible.

Does anyone know which would give the lowest latency and least jitter, USB or MIDI (DIN)?
HungryGhosty
Works great with Pamela's Workout, which is one of the main reasons I got it. It's very easy to use, would recommend it.
Standup
It's possible I don't even know how to ask the question! So uMidi has outputs for, say, Pitch, Gate, and Trigger. I kinda know what those are, but don't know how to tell ProTools "Send a trigger HERE".

bemushroomed wrote:
Standup: well you are sending cv, thats what it does..? Maybe easier to understand if you explain in more detail what you want to accomplish, what you want to control. edit: if you mean you want to replace e.g trigger out to a pitch cv out on umidi, I dont think that would be possible.
HungryGhosty
Standup wrote:
It's possible I don't even know how to ask the question! So uMidi has outputs for, say, Pitch, Gate, and Trigger. I kinda know what those are, but don't know how to tell ProTools "Send a trigger HERE".

I primarily use logic, but I imagine pro tools has a way to create a midi track? Then the uMIDI should show up as a midi device to which you send info. It'll send gates/triggers to their respective outputs based on the notes in your midi editor!
dansen
Standup wrote:

The uMidi trigger output occurs when it receive the "Note On" MIDI message. You can have the module output triggers from ProTools by adding a new note to your MIDI sequence.

It seems like it may be possible to also send a MIDI message (asides from Note On) to receive a trigger there, but the manual confuses me (perhaps its a typo).

Quote:
Trigger output which sends a trigger when a MIDI note on message is received.
Standup
I need to mess with it more. I can record a sequence in the PT midi scroll and have it played back on the modular. I think I've been using Pitch for that (been a few weeks since I set up something like that).

If I mess with it I guess I'll work out when I'm sending different signals to different outs on the UMidi. It's a little vague right now.
dansen
Standup wrote:
I need to mess with it more. I can record a sequence in the PT midi scroll and have it played back on the modular. I think I've been using Pitch for that (been a few weeks since I set up something like that).

If I mess with it I guess I'll work out when I'm sending different signals to different outs on the UMidi. It's a little vague right now.

I'm assuming you've taken a look at the manual ( https://intellijel.com/all-manuals/µMIDI/ ). It has very descriptive information on the outputs.

Regarding your previous question of "how to send CV", your best bet is to use the CC output and send the uMidi a CC message.
kisielk
Just to clarify a bit:

The PITCH, VEL, GATE, and TRIG outputs are all driven by MIDI note messages. Whenever a new note is received the PITCH output will change according to its pitch (if multiple notes are held, this depends on the note priority) and the VEL output according to its velocity (same caveat about priority applies). PITCH also changes in response to pitch bend messages. If the PITCH or VEL change to reflect a new note, the TRIG output will also emit a trigger. The GATE output is high whenever any note is being held.

So basically you just need to send MIDI notes to the module and those outputs will change in response.

To change the MOD output you just send the mod wheel continuous controller messages (#0), and to change the CC output you send breath continuous controller (#1). These are useful for generating arbitrary CV independent of any played notes. They just need to be emitted on the same channel as the module is set to, but you could use a totally different track or source in your DAW if you wanted to.

Also thanks everyone for the kind words regarding the µMIDI, it was the first module I did for Intellijel and a lot of work went into making it useful and easy to use, so it's great to hear people are happy with it!
orchperc
I'm a newbie to eurorack too, enjoying very much my first two diy kits and looking forward to the arrival of my third module. But I can't find what should be a common utility:

I use ERM midi clock to sync various bits of hardware, it is easy to use and totally stable. Obviously I want to use the ERM to sync my eurorack. Erica synths used to make a simple module as a diy kit, but its successor will not be a kit for the foreseeable.

What I want is midi clock in, with something like the 4ms clock divider out (the 4ms is apparently a simple diy build...). If it had a tap tempo button with a read out to thus set the ERM even better. I would even consider building something from a circuit diagram, but my electronic knowledge is "limited"
Tonescape
Just a small note on clocking:

MIDI Clock and computers are not good friends. You will most likely be battling clock jitter and synchronisation issues, wasting precious music-making time.

If you want to clock your modular to a DAW with rock solid sync, I recommend simply just running an audio track with a trigger sample triggered every 16th note (Or what you need, you can get creative of course).

Cheap, easy and stabile.

You can find a sample here:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32072

You will need an interface to send notes, velocity and so on of course.
Mikeyg3k
Ok this is exactly what is going on for me. So annoying. Multiple unnecissary midi messages being sent from logic pro x to the umidi and it's choking and causing the module to skip. I am going to try this out. Thanks. Any videos or tutorials would be helpful please post. Thank You!

Tonescape wrote:
Just a small note on clocking:

MIDI Clock and computers are not good friends. You will most likely be battling clock jitter and synchronisation issues, wasting precious music-making time.

If you want to clock your modular to a DAW with rock solid sync, I recommend simply just running an audio track with a trigger sample triggered every 16th note (Or what you need, you can get creative of course).

Cheap, easy and stabile.

You can find a sample here:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32072

You will need an interface to send notes, velocity and so on of course.
kisielk
There's been a few people that have reported problems with Logic. It seems by default it tries to use the uMIDI as some kind of control surface and inundates it with SysEx. Unfortunately I don't have logic so I don't know which settings to tweak but other people have managed to fix it by disabling some control surface settings.
Mikeyg3k
kisielk wrote:
There's been a few people that have reported problems with Logic. It seems by default it tries to use the uMIDI as some kind of control surface and inundates it with SysEx. Unfortunately I don't have logic so I don't know which settings to tweak but other people have managed to fix it by disabling some control surface settings.

Ive disabled all the messages from the input filter and have my midi settings correct. it's a fucking nightmare. Intellijel said basically I have to figure out how to limit the unnecessary messages from logic somehow, so I'll call apple support tomorrow to see if they can provide any info.

My only need for midi really is to be able to record with solid timing. i would much rather just use my circadian rhythms for master clock but I'm not sure how it wold all line up to record into logic.

I would like to read more about how to send a trigger or pulse from modular to computer? or the other way around? like was mentioned in this thread. Thanks for any help!
ugokcen
I use uMIDI with Logic X all the time and never had a problem. All I had to do was to turn on midi clock in synchronization settings and select uMIDI as the output port. Worked perfectly the first time, no skipping, weird messages or anything.

Not sure how to troubleshoot your setup... I would say make sure you have the latest update of Logic, start with a blank project and test that regular MIDI is working with a keyboard first. Then go to recording settings (right click on the record button), switch to the synchronization tab, under there click on the MIDI tab. At the top you will see the MIDI clock settings. Check the 'transmit to' box and select uMIDI from the drop-down menu. I also select the "pattern" option under the mode menu but that should not really make any difference.

That's all I did really to get the modular in sync with the DAW tempo and record the output. I know that people advise against using MIDI clock for sync and at some point I want to try the audio pulse method but for now this works for me. I have a suspicion that if a project has a ton of audio tracks then MIDI jitter becomes more of an issue.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2