MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Happy holidays! Please see the year-end funding drive post in the Announcements subforum. Thanks and all my love to you beautiful people.

WARNING: Beatstep Pro micro-USB connection
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author WARNING: Beatstep Pro micro-USB connection
MrTurboparrot
Hi All,

Not sure if this message belongs here or in 'general gear' but I thought I would just share my experience in a now-defunct BSP.

The micro-USB connector is a major hazard. I had my BSP for about 8 months and never really moved it about much. The other day and I was re-arranging and unplugged it half a dozen times.

Next thing I know the power is intermittent. Clearly a loose connector inside. I opened it up and sure enough two of the grounds were out. I tried to solder them back but the tiniest movements stress the traces. I ended removing the whole connector and soldering the wire directly to the SMD resistors.

It worked, but despite silicone glueing it all, it could not handle being packed together again. The solder connections are MICROSCOPIC, and very easily decoupled.

Moral of the story - buyer/user beware!

BTW: thanks Arturia!
Fidi
Hi MrTurboparrot,

same here... I used some hot glue to secure the cable on the inside, but i don't trust this machine anymore...
Tcheck
Same here! I was in the warranty period too, and they refused to fix it as it was deemed user error due to the amount of force needed to lift the socket from the PCB. Dead Banana

I smell a major manufacturing fault, and never buying another Arturia product
computer controlled
Buy a magnetic USB connector. Problem solved.
chvad
computer controlled wrote:

I didn't even know those existed!
Licudi

Any particular brand?

chvad wrote:

You can get magnetic PSU adaptors to replicate MagSafe too (one of the many complaints about the new MacBook Pros was the disappearance of MagSafe).
daveholiday
I have been reluctant to buy a used BSP for the very fragile jack issue. I just checked out some of the plug/jack magnetic adapters and that does seem like a decent option to help keep the jack intact. Might have to look at a BSP again!

It was nice to see a proper socket on the back of the Drumbrute!
Tcheck
Not too cool if your magnetic USB unplugs accidentally and you lose your sequence ... I don't think the BSP keeps data in memory unless you explicitly save it
Better than the hardware breaking I guess, but still makes for an unstable device
thetwlo
I think HeWhoWantsJeans posted about this last year, got his fixed by Auturia and then posted a fix.
Hirsbro
Mine is showing this syndrome too confused angry I suppose once your USB connection is loose a magnetic USB connector dont help. ?
Marizu
Tcheck wrote:
Not too cool if your magnetic USB unplugs accidentally and you lose your sequence ... I don't think the BSP keeps data in memory unless you explicitly save it
Better than the hardware breaking I guess, but still makes for an unstable device

Yeah, I have a magnetic connector for my BSP. I'm not quite sure what to make of it.
You do lose your data if you knock it out and haven't explicitly saved your sequence. This has happened to me.

There appear to be two types of connector out there.
One type is like a little adapter. You plug a regular micro USB cable into the adapter and the other end is magnetic.
The other type has the magnetic end built into the cable, itself.

I bought the adapter type as it seemed more flexible due to being able to choose the length of cable that I needed.
I am guessing that the downside of this type is that the stiff portion of the cable is longer giving a greater moment (turning effect of the force) which probably makes it more likely for the magnetic connection to come apart.
MrTurboparrot
chvad wrote:

Doh! Neither did I!

Oh well, too late now. I never truly trusted the BSP anyhow. Always treated it with 'kid gloves' as they say.

i'm going for a Korg SQ-1 instead, believe it or not. I'm going the 'simplify' route...
djthopa
My bsp wont turn on anymore, i think the micro usb on mine has broken too. zombie
Tcheck
Its a pandemic! Is there some sort of class action we can start for this? Whom be in charge of the ill-informed pseudo-legal advice around here?
MrTurboparrot
It won't matter how much legal chaff we throw up - Arturia are well-known regarding their indifference to such matters.

Or so I hear anyway.

I do really worry as I have a keystep too. I'll be buying an adaptor for that and definitely refrain from touching the USB port at all!
djthopa
Im going to solder the wire directly, think i have seen a video on youtube.

help
NoobOlar
I bought and received a Magnetic micro USB to Micro USB adapter.
The little micro USB bit is now inside the micro USB port of the BSP.
The bigger magnetic-to-micro USB bit is attached to the BSP micro USB cable. The small bit I leave connected inside the BSP port.

The only inconvenience can be the extra few centimetres of clearance needed at the back of the BSP to allow for the length of the adapter. But otherwise it has been working fine during the past couple of days. This is a new BSP, did it to help prevent failure hopefully
albiedamned
Which one did you get? There seem to be a million choices.
Synth Con Meo
albiedamned wrote:
Which one did you get? There seem to be a million choices.

I just ordered one for mine. I ended up ordering the WSken X-cable Mini 2 which I saw recommended in a Youtube video. The one thing that made it really stand out from the rest was that not only does the end of the cable have a magnet in it but the little adapter that plugs into the micro USB port on the BSP is also magnetic. So you do get quite a bit of magnetic attraction so hopefully that will help in keeping it plugged together.
fano
does this apply to the keystep as well?
Hirsbro
Well I tried to fix the micro-USB this is the result confused
Ive like plugged this f¤%&=#g like 5 times and its been in a stationary place, still the micro-USB failed. Last product I buy from Arturia.

Hirsbro
fano wrote:

At least the Keystep has a regular power connection I believe
usw
It may not be the actual problem people are facing with the bsp, but my experience with micro usb is that it is the male connector of the cable that usually wears out, not the female connector on the device, and I've always been lucky with finding a "better" cable (in my case, the one that came with my sony m10, which also gets used for an apogee one and my ecig setup…) seriously, i just don't get it
loydb
Thanks for the tip on the magnetic USB jack. I haven't had any problem with my BSP, but it doesn't move much. I've ordred one anyway.
MrTurboparrot
Hirsbro wrote:
fano wrote:

At least the Keystep has a regular power connection I believe

This is correcto.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3